Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Suchomel put out a lot of details about Broughton's recruitment

Spoiler

--- Texas was long-believed to be a strong leader in this one, and the Longhorns surged to the top in the eyes of Broughton and his family after Vernon’s official visit in early May.

After that visit, I spoke with Broughton’s mother, Yolanda, who gave extremely high reviews of everything they saw. One thing she mentioned but asked me not to report (because she didn’t want to tip of other schools to what Texas did that impressed her so much … she wanted to see if other schools could match it without using the Texas visit as a crutch) was that the Texas staff spent a lot of time with her and her mother on Saturday night playing spades and bonding over some lengthy card games. The family spends a lot of time around holidays playing games like spades or UNO, and Yolanda said the time spent with the coaches playing cards really sold both her and her mother (I believe Tom Herman was teamed up with grandma, and grandma didn’t lose a game).

“I think mom and grandma are hooked,” Yolanda said the weekend of that visit.

--- Big credit to Oscar Giles, who did a great job of recruiting the entire family. Craig Naivar also deserves recognition, as do members of the support staff. While Broughton’s mind tended to change from time to time, the foundation that the staff built with Broughton’s mother and grandmother was instrumental in Texas winning this one in the end.

--- After just about every official visit, Broughton came out really feeling good about that school. After his Arkansas visit, he informed one reporter I know that he told Chad Morris he was going there and had talked to that reporter about hooking up to shoot a commitment video after he took the rest of his official visits.

The day after Broughton finished his A&M visit (the last of his five), he made his way to Atlanta for the Five-Star Challenge. I talked to him there on the record. With a microphone in his face, he listed all five schools he had visited as being equal and in contention. A few minutes after that interview, he and I talked off the record in a more informal fashion. I asked him which schools were legitimately in contention, and he told me it was Texas A&M, Texas and Ohio State. LSU and Arkansas really weren’t factors. When asked if there was any one school that was standing out prior to him sitting down with his family to go over his options, Broughton told me it was Texas A&M and Ohio State on top, with Texas sitting below those two.

The A&M new wasn’t exactly a surprise coming off of his Aggie official visit. Ohio State being that high on his list was a surprise … nobody I know of was really taking the Buckeyes seriously, mostly due to proximity. The following day, after letting things sink in for a bit, I asked Broughton to gauge how close the race was. If A&M and Ohio State were a 10 in his mind, where was Texas? Were the Longhorns a 2, a 5, a 9.5? “I’d say a solid 8,” Broughton told me (again, off the record). It was at that time that I reported that I felt Texas had some ground to make up in Broughton’s mind, with the caveat that Broughton’s meeting with his mother and grandmother would be key and could sway this one.

As has happened with all of his visits, the high from the A&M visit eventually wore off with Broughton and last week, I got word from a couple different sources that the confidence on the Texas side was growing, that Broughton would be shooting a UT commitment video over the weekend and he was actually going to take an under-the-radar visit with a family to see the UT campus on Friday. Later that day, when Broughton put on Instagram that he was in Austin, the pieces of this puzzle were pretty much complete and it was just a matter of timing at that point.

There were some nervous moments when Broughton didn’t release his commitment video when everyone thought he would (Was he drumming up suspense? Having second thoughts? Not sure, honestly) but everything was pretty much in the bag about a week ago … it was just a matter of Broughton ripping off the band-aid and going public with his decision.

In the end, he did it on Wednesday night, putting an end to a wild last month in which there were several twists and turns and some curveballs thrown in terms of conflicting information. Texas’ consistency and relationships won out, giving the Longhorns maybe their biggest commitment of the year.

• Like 8

Just now, Caddox said:

Can I get the Surly preference between Stone and Milroe? I had a nice little Thursday yesterday and I'd like to get absolutely furious on the internet today. 

As a prospect, I think Stone is better. His advanced passing ability makes him more of a sure thing, and he's a decent athlete to boot; could potentially be a Baker Mayfield type. Potential DFW recruiting boost in a loaded DFW year, at least at the top (top five 247 in-state prospects are from DFW, although it drops off after that), is a bonus, especially if he commits early; although for some of the guys like Brockermeyers, Byrd, and Earle, we might not need his help. I have big concerns about the odds of him sticking around. I don't think he's a Trevor Lawrence type of 5* where he'd surpass Roschon, Card, and Jackson early, which means he'd likely be sitting for about three years before starting for two, and 5*s transfer at an alarming rate nowadays (from 2010 to the 2018 class, there have been 19 composite 5* QBs, and 11 of them transferred at some point). Given that Stone has already shown a proclivity to chance the scenery for early playing time in high school, I don't think it's farfetched that he'd do it in college. A 5* looks great on paper, but if he transfers after a year on campus like Bru McCoy (or Cam Rising), then in the end the class ranking doesn't mean a lot. If he commits to Texas, I won't bitch too much though about landing a 5*. 

In regards to prospect rating, I don't think he's far enough ahead as a prospect over Milroe to not make it a conversation. As baseball scouts like to say, Milroe is "toolsy"; very athletic, good size, good arm; and there's probably more arm to unlock if the mechanics get fixed. I really like his running ability. Unlike some other running QBs, he has a lot of wiggle and spatial awareness, and runs and cuts decisively to go with his obvious speed. Right now, he's a running QB, not a dual threat. He needs a lot of work in the passing game, but at Texas, he'd likely be afforded that time given the depth chart. In college football, dual threats are trump cards who are match winners, and when given the choice between an athletic traditional passer and a dual threat, I lean towards the dual threat. I'm curious to know how much of an impact he'd have in recruiting. He's teammates with Tunmise, but who else could he help with locally? I think he'd much more likely stick around until he can compete for the starting spot as an upperclassman than Stone. 

I'd like to land both, but that seems very unlikely, especially after landing two the previous year. 

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Hide contents

--- Texas was long-believed to be a strong leader in this one, and the Longhorns surged to the top in the eyes of Broughton and his family after Vernon’s official visit in early May.

After that visit, I spoke with Broughton’s mother, Yolanda, who gave extremely high reviews of everything they saw. One thing she mentioned but asked me not to report (because she didn’t want to tip of other schools to what Texas did that impressed her so much … she wanted to see if other schools could match it without using the Texas visit as a crutch) was that the Texas staff spent a lot of time with her and her mother on Saturday night playing spades and bonding over some lengthy card games. The family spends a lot of time around holidays playing games like spades or UNO, and Yolanda said the time spent with the coaches playing cards really sold both her and her mother (I believe Tom Herman was teamed up with grandma, and grandma didn’t lose a game).

--- Big credit to Oscar Giles, who did a great job of recruiting the entire family. Craig Naivar also deserves recognition, as do members of the support staff. While Broughton’s mind tended to change from time to time, the foundation that the staff built with Broughton’s mother and grandmother was instrumental in Texas winning this one in the end.

--- After just about every official visit, Broughton came out really feeling good about that school. After his Arkansas visit, he informed one reporter I know that he told Chad Morris he was going there and had talked to that reporter about hooking up to shoot a commitment video after he took the rest of his official visits.

The day after Broughton finished his A&M visit (the last of his five), he made his way to Atlanta for the Five-Star Challenge. I talked to him there on the record. With a microphone in his face, he listed all five schools he had visited as being equal and in contention. A few minutes after that interview, he and I talked off the record in a more informal fashion. I asked him which schools were legitimately in contention, and he told me it was Texas A&M, Texas and Ohio State. LSU and Arkansas really weren’t factors. When asked if there was any one school that was standing out prior to him sitting down with his family to go over his options, Broughton told me it was Texas A&M and Ohio State on top, with Texas sitting below those two.

The A&M new wasn’t exactly a surprise coming off of his Aggie official visit. Ohio State being that high on his list was a surprise … nobody I know of was really taking the Buckeyes seriously, mostly due to proximity. The following day, after letting things sink in for a bit, I asked Broughton to gauge how close the race was. If A&M and Ohio State were a 10 in his mind, where was Texas? Were the Longhorns a 2, a 5, a 9.5? “I’d say a solid 8,” Broughton told me (again, off the record). It was at that time that I reported that I felt Texas had some ground to make up in Broughton’s mind, with the caveat that Broughton’s meeting with his mother and grandmother would be key and could sway this one.

As has happened with all of his visits, the high from the A&M visit eventually wore off with Broughton and last week, I got word from a couple different sources that the confidence on the Texas side was growing, that Broughton would be shooting a UT commitment video over the weekend and he was actually going to take an under-the-radar visit with a family to see the UT campus on Friday. Later that day, when Broughton put on Instagram that he was in Austin, the pieces of this puzzle were pretty much complete and it was just a matter of timing at that point.

There were some nervous moments when Broughton didn’t release his commitment video when everyone thought he would (Was he drumming up suspense? Having second thoughts? Not sure, honestly) but everything was pretty much in the bag about a week ago … it was just a matter of Broughton ripping off the band-aid and going public with his decision.

In the end, he did it on Wednesday night, putting an end to a wild last month in which there were several twists and turns and some curveballs thrown in terms of conflicting information. Texas’ consistency and relationships won out, giving the Longhorns maybe their biggest commitment of the year.

Giles winning the Broughton recruitment by sitting around playing spades on a Saturday night with his mom and grandma is just so perfect.

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

As a prospect, I think Stone is better. His advanced passing ability makes him more of a sure thing, and he's a decent athlete to boot; could potentially be a Baker Mayfield type. Potential DFW recruiting boost in a loaded DFW year, at least at the top (top five 247 in-state prospects are from DFW, although it drops off after that), is a bonus, especially if he commits early; although for some of the guys like Brockermeyers, Byrd, and Earle, we might not need his help. I have big concerns about the odds of him sticking around. I don't think he's a Trevor Lawrence type of 5* where he'd surpass Roschon, Card, and Jackson early, which means he'd likely be sitting for about three years before starting for two, and 5*s transfer at an alarming rate nowadays (from 2010 to the 2018 class, there have been 19 composite 5* QBs, and 11 of them transferred at some point). Given that Stone has already shown a proclivity to chance the scenery for early playing time in high school, I don't think it's farfetched that he'd do it in college. A 5* looks great on paper, but if he transfers after a year on campus like Bru McCoy (or Cam Rising), then in the end the class ranking doesn't mean a lot. If he commits to Texas, I won't bitch too much though about landing a 5*. 

In regards to prospect rating, I don't think he's far enough ahead as a prospect over Milroe to not make it a conversation. As baseball scouts like to say, Milroe is "toolsy"; very athletic, good size, good arm; and there's probably more arm to unlock if the mechanics get fixed. I really like his running ability. Unlike some other running QBs, he has a lot of wiggle and spatial awareness, and runs and cuts decisively to go with his obvious speed. Right now, he's a running QB, not a dual threat. He needs a lot of work in the passing game, but at Texas, he'd likely be afforded that time given the depth chart. In college football, dual threats are trump cards who are match winners, and when given the choice between an athletic traditional passer and a dual threat, I lean towards the dual threat. I'm curious to know how much of an impact he'd have in recruiting. He's teammates with Tunmise, but who else could he help with locally? I think he'd much more likely stick around until he can compete for the starting spot as an upperclassman than Stone. 

I'd like to land both, but that seems very unlikely, especially after landing two the previous year. 

Yeah. It’s a fascinating scenario. I’m with you on Stone being a better prospect, but I also think he’s way more of a transfer risk with how healthy our QB room will be. Add in the lower competition level concerns, and I lean Milroe.

We know Herman can make it work with a subpar passer who’s a good runner. We’ve yet to see the inverse. Cardale wasn’t a great runner, but he was at least a big QB who could convert short yardage. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Hide contents

Suchomel was definitely the most wrong about this recruitment, and a large portion of the Broughton is gone to aggy stuff originally emanated from him. I think the rivals camp is the only time Suchomel actually talked to Broughton directly and that happened right after the aggy visit. He’s factoring in post-visit highs now but he didn’t at the time.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Giles winning the Broughton recruitment by sitting around playing spades on a Saturday night with his mom and grandma is just so perfect.

Suchomel left out that Oscar brought Buffalo Giles Wings to the party....  

giphy.gif

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Sounds like there might be some Javian Hester buzz for Texas.

Bleh. That would be a really underwhelming take IMO.

I expect his composite to drop. He doesn’t have good long speed and isn’t overly dynamic. he’s a high floor low ceiling prospect. Taking someone like that this early with all the talent at the position in-state seems highly questionable.

Well, At least, we’re not wasting two assistant coaches at the position. 

6 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

4.13 shuttle for a dude with his height is strong to quite strong. Respectable vertical as well. A little surprised his athleticism doesn't seem to stand out more on film than it does.

I see plenty of athleticism on his junior film, but it's limited by a lack of decisiveness when the ball is in his hands. He needs to trust his athleticism more and just make a move and go. He hesitates a lot once he has the ball. I really like the fact that he catches the ball softly and easily with his hands even on the dead run.

I do agree he's probably more of a #300 in the nation type of prospect than where he's rated now.

Edited by Huckleberry

25 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Sounds like there might be some Javian Hester buzz for Texas.

https://247sports.com/Player/Javian-Hester-46051306/

Verified Results

FORTY       4.65  seconds *

SHUTTLE   4.13  seconds *

VERTICAL   36.50  inches.         (04/29/18)

WEIGHT       181.00  lbs *

HEIGHT        6-3.5  feet *

*THE OPENING REGIONAL.  04/14/19

Edited by LTtxfan
Question answered....

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Taking someone like that this early with all the talent at the position in-state seems highly questionable.

No sarcasm intended with this question:  

So besides QJ, what other great in-state WRs are Surly folks hoping Texas takes??

{Btw:  Still hoping Horns get Wilson (out of state)}

Edited by LTtxfan

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Javian-Hester-46051306/

Verified Results

FORTY       4.65  seconds *

SHUTTLE   4.13  seconds *

VERTICAL   36.50  inches.         (04/29/18)

WEIGHT       181.00  lbs *

HEIGHT        6-3.5  feet *

*THE OPENING REGIONAL.  04/14/19

Testing numbers suggest someone who would predominantly line up at the X, with some positional versatility to move to H.

HUDL shows someone with good size and ball-tracking ability, but like Burt and Huckleberry said, not especially dangerous with the ball in space. Whether that's a talent problem or a mentality issue, I don't know. I like his box safety highlights demonstrating his physicality and aggression, when he's locked in.

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Bleh. That would be a really underwhelming take IMO.

I expect his composite to drop. He doesn’t have good long speed and isn’t overly dynamic. he’s a high floor low ceiling prospect. Taking someone like that this early with all the talent at the position in-state seems highly questionable.

Well, At least, we’re not wasting two assistant coaches at the position. 

It’s actually not that great of a year for in-state WRs. Depth is uncharacteristically lacking.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

For what it's worth, IT mods aren't sure if he's a take or not for the staff.

Let's see what the TFB guys say, they're the definitive source when it comes to recruits from Oklahoma.

I feel like I've seen this movie before and it starred Demariyon Houston.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

It’s actually not that great of a year for in-state WRs. Depth is uncharacteristically lacking.

Eh. I don’t think so. I’d prefer the staff shoot for Wilson, Johnston, and Achane and then circle back if needed. There are a lot of guys i’d put in Hester’s tier: Sullivan, Marvin Mims, Medford, Dixon, Fuonji. 

I probably like Mims, Medford, Dixon, and Fuonji better, and with how stacked our WR room is, I think we’re better off going for one of the guys with higher upside. Stealing Medford from TCU and making it an annual habit to fallback on stealing TCU’s best WR would be a fun tradition.

Plus, there may be some late bloomers or OOS guys that emerge. Overall, Hester is fine, but I don’t think he’s anything special and it would be virtually impossible for Drewby Mehrkins to end up with someone a tier below Hester even if they wait til two weeks before NSD. I’d rather they hold out for better players at this stage, but it’s WR so it’s Hard to get too worked up over that position.

unless, this happens....

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ill be displeased if he takes a slot for QJ.

A Humidor in Two Parts: Recruiting (7/19/19)

By: Justin and Eric

Samples Cause and Effect: Texas assistant WR coach Ra’Shaad Samples’ departure to a full-time assistant gig at SMU will leave a hole in the recruiting department in Austin. His connections and relationships in DFW can’t go understated. That said, the Mustangs aren’t going to win many battles with UT on the recruiting trail, not that that will stop Samples from trying. While you focus on the back to back eyesores that is 'thats' we'll continue. For 2020, it’s a safe bet Duncanville's Ja’Quinden Jackson will sign with UT. It's also likely he'll visit SMU for a few games, but this will in no way deter him from landing in Austin. Teammate Chris Thompson is set for an August 1st announcement. The four-star safety visited Georgia, Ohio State, USC, and Auburn, but has had Texas out front for months now. We just don’t think he wanted people to know that. He built a great relationship with Samples, like most DFW kids in Duncanville ISD and surrounding areas. Thompson enjoyed his OVs and is ready to finish the process. Texas at Auburn (+12) if you're the Vegas type.

Two of Samples' primaries from 2021, Camar Wheaton and Savion Byrd, were in great position with the Texas staff, and that shouldn't change. Wheaton loves Austin, doesn't love recruiting, but has taken visits elsewhere. He has a Keaontay Ingram personality in that he doesn't love this process and that helps Texas. We don’t see Samples negatively affecting this recruitment. We don't know when Wheaton will make a decision but UT is still in great shape. Now, Savion Byrd. The fact JQJ committed to Texas is a huge boost in snagging the 2021 four- or five-star OL from Duncanville. We've heard he’s all Texas, but wants to see some places first. Having his quarterback committed is huge. Would Samples on staff help? Of course, but Ja'Quinden is the ja'linchpin.

The 2019 Texas Football campaign will have a bearing on these decisions whether they stay true north (PYBD) or look around a bit. Texas might have to work harder for these commitments but the school is in great shape. We're not currently worried about Texas pledge Quay Davis (Dallas Skyline, 2021), but if Samples parlays this season into an even bigger coaching job then we'll reassess. This business boils down to relationships and Samples has the knack for building strong ones. Being the son of a Dallas coaching legend helps.

2020 DL recruiting sure changed quick. Oscar Giles is living his best life after landing five pound bass Vernon Broughton and Van Fillinger in the last 48 hours. Add to the fact UT looks slightly better with Cedar Creek four-star Alfred Collins after his UOV for the Heat Wave last month. Princely Umanimalen is still a worthy take. He’s got the tools to be great, but Texas doesn’t need four in 2019. They'd take four, but don't need four. We're not ruling out Princely in the class but UT won't be begging down 290. Moving forward, finishing July with Stars at Night on July 27th will be the staff’s last attempt at the 2020 and 2021 cycles before going into camp mode. We'll bid that list in the coming days. Remember names like Chad Lindberg, Ethan Pouncey, and Jerrin Thompson as we approach August. Texas could make significant pushes in all three recruitments.

On Lindberg, he's obviously conflicted. He's built strong relationships with coaches outside of Austin and that's weighing on him. We truly feel he's conflicted with the process. UT should absolutely work on back-up plans while Lindberg figures things out. This process can stress kids out and I'm sympathetic to Lindberg. Pouncey has a top-five of UT, Auburn, LSU, Alabama, and Florida. Not too shabby for the brother of Texas wide receiver Jordan Pouncey. He says he'll likely use his last OV on Texas but he isn't sure when that will be. Good sign. One thing to overcome for the staff will be early playing time. Obviously he'll have great intel with Jordan being adversarial to Anthony Cook and Jalen Green, as well as D'shawn Jamison, Kobe Boyce, and Kenyatta Watson. Right now we'd guess Auburn for Pouncey but business is about to pick up.

Thompson has similar traits to Xavion Alford. Notre Dame is pushing for him so take that as a good sign. He has nickel upside and a strong mental eval. He's the type of kid you root for. We think there's a good chance UT pushes given the miss on Bryson Washington and the "miss" on Lathan Ransom. Salpointe: We are not picking UT to be the final destination for the Salpointe duo of Lathan Ransom and Bijan Robinson but nobody is conceding the game at halftime. We know when a recruitment is done and we know when there's a pulse. There are signs of life regardless of what comes out publicly in the next few weeks. And as for running back, you’ll see some movement by the staff to look out-of-state more. Maybe extend a few offers, but the main guys - Bijan, Jase, John Doe - will continue to receive overtures from the Texas coaches.

2021 Quarterback: If you've been paying attention to the Prospect Board you'll know that Jalen Milroe is a burgeoning topic. The Katy Tompkins signal caller is a high upside athlete with a strong arm and lofty rating. Person A wants Preston Stone sight unseen. I'm Person B with nunchucks and love Preston Stone but it's easy to make the case for Milroe. In fact I'll do so. Jalen Milroe has a Sam Ehlinger work ethic and intangibles, other than being outspoken. He's more like Roschon when it comes to being outward, however he'll take on more leadership in the class if he does choose UT. He has some blind spots as a QB. He's young of course and doesn't have the greatest touch but his arm and legs give him a high floor and much higher upside. And intangibles. He's through the roof in that regard. Texas also views him as having big recruiting upside within the class. That circles back to leadership. My most trusted QB guru compares Milroe's intangibles to Garrett Nussmeier. Not bad.

It's easy to make the case for Stone being the better prospect, but it's even easier to make the case that Milroe is the better program fit while still having Stone's upside. Oh, and if UT lands Milroe it doesn't rule Preston Stone out but we'll worry about that in January.

Edited by satyanash

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Roach said he just talked to Hester and he told Roach he's taking visits before committing.  Another poster said that Rivals article has been taken down.

Rivals article is still up. From some dude named Josh Helmholdt

Spoiler

Earlier this summer four-star Tulsa WR JJ Hester told me he was looking at fall official visits, but was not ruling out a summer commitment. New information I am hearing says that decision will likely be sooner than later, that a decision is in and we could be hearing the verdict at any time. My Forecast has been in for Texas for several weeks.

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Eh. I don’t think so. I’d prefer the staff shoot for Wilson, Johnston, and Achane and then circle back if needed. There are a lot of guys i’d put in Hester’s tier: Sullivan, Marvin Mims, Medford, Dixon, Fuonji. 

I probably like Mims, Medford, Dixon, and Fuonji better, and with how stacked our WR room is, I think we’re better off going for one of the guys with higher upside. Stealing Medford from TCU and making it an annual habit to fallback on stealing TCU’s best WR would be a fun tradition.

Plus, there may be some late bloomers or OOS guys that emerge. Overall, Hester is fine, but I don’t think he’s anything special and it would be virtually impossible for Drewby Mehrkins to end up with someone a tier below Hester even if they wait til two weeks before NSD. I’d rather they hold out for better players at this stage, but it’s WR so it’s Hard to get too worked up over that position.

unless, this happens....

I don’t think Hester is anything super special either, I just feel the same way about most of the in-State guys this year too. Demas and QJ are the only top tier guys imo and there are usually more than that. Achane I kinda put in a different category, but I still put him slightly below top tier, and after that there are a glut of guys. 

I do agree that there’s no need to rush on a guy like Hester who fits right into the aforementioned glut and it sounds like the staff agrees and that article is bullshit.

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

I don’t think Hester is anything super special either, I just feel the same way about most of the in-State guys this year too. Demas and QJ are the only top tier guys imo and there are usually more than that. Achane I kinda put in a different category, but I still put him slightly below top tier, and after that there are a glut of guys. 

I do agree that there’s no need to rush on a guy like Hester who fits right into the aforementioned glut and it sounds like the staff agrees and that article is bullshit.

Demas is on a tier of his own.

• Like 1