Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

15 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Assuming his story is true and VB told him it was an Aggy-OSU battle with us on the outside, plus his personal belief that distance was a concern, I kinda think his pessimism was justified. When so many of these guys are making shit up based on conversations with family/friends/coaches, I can’t really fault the guy for basing his predictions on the exact words he’s been told by the recruit.

The problem with this is that Suchomel deserves no benefit of the doubt. Part of why he was fucking wrong is because he had baseline reference to work with in regard to the recruit. The fucking guy is as lazy as his boss and the interactions he had with VB and all other recruits at that gathering were basically the first the asshole had with any of them the entire time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The problem with this is that Suchomel deserves no benefit of the doubt. Part of why he was fucking wrong is because he had baseline reference to work with in regard to the recruit. The fucking guy is as lazy as his boss and the interactions he had with VB and all other recruits at that gathering were basically the first the asshole had with any of them the entire time. 

Yep, this is the point I was originally making. Because Suchomel never talked to this kid before the rivals camp, he based everything on what Broughton told him there, which was immediately after the aggy visit, and concluded it was a done deal.

Other reporters who had actually talked to Broughton before, were slower to concede to aggy, because they knew how much good stuff he had to say about Texas before and they knew the kid could be kinda unreliable right after a visit, remember Arkansas thought they were getting him too after his visit there.

These visits probably play mind games on a lot of guys. They know how to push the right buttons and negative recruit the competition. We are probably losing Bijan because of the Dobbins, Browning, Okudah Texas crew in his ear. What surprises me is that recruits don’t realize OSU could be headed backwards without Urban. Right now in my opinion Texas is a safer bet to be better over the next five years than OSU.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

These visits probably play mind games on a lot of guys. They know how to push the right buttons and negative recruit the competition. We are probably losing Bijan because of the Dobbins, Browning, Okudah Texas crew in his ear. What surprises me is that recruits don’t realize OSU could be headed backwards without Urban. Right now in my opinion Texas is a safer bet to be better over the next five years than OSU.

Okudah was always going to end up a bucknut.. Sucks seeing Dobbins and Browning there, however.  Waiting to see if Browning flashes this season.  He hasn't played the way I thought he was going to coming out of high school.  Sucks since he would have really excelled in TO's defense.  Oh well fuck them all.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Just messing with the class calculator, but adding Lindberg, Thompson, Collins, and Johnston would put us at #5 currently with only 14 commits.

Unless we completely regress on the field this year it's hard to imagine a scenario where we don't end up with a Top 10 class.  If things fall the right way (i.e. Johnny Wilson, Ringo, Robinson eventually come around) it could be Top 5.  Either way, if you're stacking three Top 5-10 classes in consecutive years you're going to have championship caliber roster.  

11 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Unless we completely regress on the field this year it's hard to imagine a scenario where we don't end up with a Top 10 class.  If things fall the right way (i.e. Johnny Wilson, Ringo, Robinson eventually come around) it could be Top 5.  Either way, if you're stacking three Top 5-10 classes in consecutive years you're going to have championship caliber roster.  

Texas getting consistent quality Top 5-10 recruiting classes that strengthen the OL, DL and LBs groups are key.

If the Texas Coaches get their player evaluations right and Horns stay away from too many injuries, then this roster is getting much closer to competing with Bama and Clemson.  🤘

43 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas getting consistent quality Top 5-10 recruiting classes that strengthen the OL, DL and LBs groups are key.

If the Texas Coaches get their player evaluations right and Horns stay away from too many injuries, then this roster is getting much closer to competing with Bama and Clemson.  🤘

Well and good, but top 5 classes every year should be expected. That’s the standard. Texas has every recruiting advantage possible at its disposal. Herman has done it right. I expect this one to be in line with that and predicted as much before the cycle. Top 10 is livable but a problem over time when the title winners close in the top 5 every year. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well and good, but top 5 classes every year should be expected. That’s the standard. Texas has every recruiting advantage possible at its disposal. Herman has done it right. I expect this one to be in line with that and predicted as much before the cycle. Top 10 is livable but a problem over time when the title winners close in the top 5 every year. 

Agree with most of this, but the title winners don't all hit the top 5 every year.  See Clemson.

Edited by Stampeder

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Agreed... but in smaller class years of 20-23 players, Texas ending up between #6 and #10 with quality player evaluations is acceptable.

6 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Agree with most of this, but the title winners don't all hit the top 5 every year.  See Clemson.

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Agreed... but in smaller class years of 20-23 players, Texas ending up between #6 and #10 with quality player evaluations is acceptable.

Exceptions for good reason are, of course, nothing to sweat. A transition class, for instance, simply can’t be something to fret over. A smaller class with a high per player rating makes sense. That’s it, however. Top 5 with strong evaluations is what wins titles.

The difference between a top 5 class and a top 10 is probably 1-2 difference makers each year. In 4 year cycles, that’s a lot of starting talent. 

Also, Clemson cannot reasonably be pointed at by anyone else as an example. They are their own thing, to their credit. Herman isn’t going about it Swinney’s way, even if he’d like to do so. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Also, Clemson cannot reasonably be pointed at by anyone else as an example. They are their own thing, to their credit. Herman isn’t going about it Swinney’s way, even if he’d like to do so. 

To the extent we're talking about strong player evals irrespective of recruiting services rankings, maintaining continuity on the staff and working toward ridiculous facilities, I'd say he's following Swinney's model to a T.  He's also publicly stated he leans on Swinney quite a bit as a mentor.  As far as any of the other influences, I have no idea.

Edited by Stampeder
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

You mean performance enhancers correct?

Clemson has a healthy dose of cheating blended with family atmosphere and absolutely fantastic evaluations. They clearly straight up dope their players, and they’re good at it. They’re also surgical with who they buy and how they buy them. Beyond that, they know exactly what they’re looking for in character, talent, and culture fit. And then they fucking develop their guys. It’s impressive. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

To the extent we're talking about strong player evals irrespective on recruiting services rankings, maintaining continuity on the staff and working toward ridiculous facilities, I'd say he's following Swinney's model to a T.  He's also publicly stated he leans on Swinney quite a bit as a mentor.  As far as any of the other influences, I have no idea.

That’s like saying you’re going to do whatever Apple is doing in the business world. Sure, say it. It’s not replicable. It’s fucking CFB art. 

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Clemson has a healthy dose of cheating blended with family atmosphere and absolutely fantastic evaluations. They clearly straight up dope their players, and they’re good at it. They’re also surgical with who they buy and how they buy them. Beyond that, they know exactly what they’re looking for in character, talent, and culture fit. And then they fucking develop their guys. It’s impressive. 

Are we talking an advanced PED program that gives them a competitive advantage like Nebraska had, or is this some new lingo that I'm not hip to?

If so, what are they doing  that other schools don't?

Edited by BornOrange

45 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

To the extent we're talking about strong player evals irrespective on recruiting services rankings, maintaining continuity on the staff and working toward ridiculous facilities, I'd say he's following Swinney's model to a T.  He's also publicly stated he leans on Swinney quite a bit as a mentor.  As far as any of the other influences, I have no idea.

The biggest difference between us and Clemson is that they’re landing truly nationally elite guys (like top 15 in the country) regularly and we’re not. In general they miss on their top targets much, much less than we do, and the funny thing is you bring up the anti-rankings rhetoric and copying Dabo excuse in response to people being upset about the staff missing on their top targets.

What Dabo did building Clemson isn’t nearly as repeatable of a process as accumulating top 5 talent year in and year out. And, if you think Dabo’s program is some sort exception to the rule that you need to be landing highly rated classes, go look at his last couple years. Now that he’s able to, he’s landing the highest rated guys he can for the most part. So if what you’re saying about Herman trying to copy Dabo is true, then Herman’s better off trying to copy Dabo currently, not Dabo from 6 years ago. 

Both Herman and Dabo want the 5 stars. It’s that simple.

14 hours ago, trythisathome said:

The problem is that the rest of the state is more heavily Aggie populated. I'm not sure which is worse. Aggies are definitely more annoying in my experience though.

You can always point to the scoreboard and an empty trophy case with an aggy. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

I'm not naive. Just asking what Clemson is doing that other schools aren't doing.

Getting caught?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/28/clemson-loses-dexter-lawrence-two-others-after-b-samples-confirm-banned-substance/%3foutputType=amp

Edited by Casual Encounter

13 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I had forgotten about that.

It turned out that Clemson didn't need Lawrence to beat Notre Dame and Alabama in the CFB, and Lawrence was still drafted in the first round.

However, the backup TE and backup OL are ineligible for this season.

4 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

I had forgotten about that.

It turned out that Clemson didn't need Lawrence to beat Notre Dame and Alabama in the CFB, and Lawrence was still drafted in the first round.

However, the backup TE and backup OL are ineligible for this season.

Clemson is just flat out bigger than anyone else besides Bama. That isn’t all recruiting. They’re allegedly really, really good at the doping game. Getting caught was sadly hilarious because a) watching them feign innocence was a farce in being even vaguely honest, especially for such a folksy shithead like Swinney and b) the national media did almost everything they could to avoid broaching the subject. It’s basically like it didn’t happen, and fuck any integrity in the game mattering one bit. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Clemson is just flat out bigger than anyone else besides Bama. That isn’t all recruiting. They’re allegedly really, really good at the doping game. Getting caught was sadly hilarious because a) watching them feign innocence was a farce in being even vaguely honest, especially for such a folksy shithead like Swinney and b) the national media did almost everything they could to avoid broaching the subject. It’s basically like it didn’t happen, and fuck any integrity in the game mattering one bit. 

I can’t think of very many teams which would have received the same treatment.

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why would ESPN/ABC say anything??  (lol 😆)

ACC Network starts next month and Clemson to ACC is the equivalent of Bama to SEC.... 

Clemson is the ACC Network's "Goose that lays golden eggs" 

Edited by LTtxfan

One day I hope a 995 that is sick of the job,  tired of the dirty underbelly, and gainfully employed outside of the recruiting industry to not care about burning bridges just says "fuck it" and spills his guts over the cheating out there. Instead we get veiled shots at other schools cheating without planting their flag on anything. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I can’t think of very many teams which would have received the same treatment.

I’m not sure if this is serious or not, but it’s an interesting premise to examine. Does Clemson get a pass that others don’t because Swinney is loved by the media? Or would any program have basically been handled in the same way because sports media doesn’t want to dig very deeply on the steroid issue in football, given the damage the coverage did, in some eyes, the integrity of MLB?

My view is that cheating in recruiting basically doesn’t get covered any more, largely because it’s too systemic to fix and too many programs are deeply involved in doing it. Not sure if that is the same thinking regarding roiding. 

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Or would any program have basically been handled in the same way because sports media doesn’t want to dig very deeply on the steroid issue in football, given the damage the coverage did, in some eyes, the integrity of MLB?

journalists can be real self-important pieces of shit.  I don’t think there’s any way you can say that all of “sports media” could be in on some conspiracy to ignore reporting on steroid use.  there are hundreds of pissant reporters out there that would bust in their pants to break something big like that if they had anything legitimate to report. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Well and good, but top 5 classes every year should be expected. That’s the standard. Texas has every recruiting advantage possible at its disposal. Herman has done it right. I expect this one to be in line with that and predicted as much before the cycle. Top 10 is livable but a problem over time when the title winners close in the top 5 every year

That's mostly true but there are some really big exceptions.  Clemson fielded the #9, #11, #16 and #7 classes with their most recent team.  Not one top 5 class.  Their 2016 championship team had the #16, #9, #9 and #11 classes.  OU hasn't won it all but they've made the CFP 3 times.  From 2011-2016 they didn't have a single top 10 class - much less a top 5 class.  They got a #8 class in 2017 and #9 in 2018; still no top 5 classes.  OU usually has ranked in the 11-20 range.

It's always better to have more talent rather than less.  But the only schools that meet the consistent top 5 criteria are Alabama, Ohio State and Georgia, maybe LSU.  Clemson and Oklahoma have better results than any of the last 3.

The issue for Texas isn't that recruiting classes have been "only" top 10.  The program suffered from poor recruiting on both lines and then overall depletion of talent due to 2 coaching changes.  Herman's 2017 transition class was ranked #25 but it's contributing as much or more to the OL as the #7 ranked 2016 class.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Butch Had Not said:

One day I hope a 995 that is sick of the job,  tired of the dirty underbelly, and gainfully employed outside of the recruiting industry to not care about burning bridges just says "fuck it" and spills his guts over the cheating out there. Instead we get veiled shots at other schools cheating without planting their flag on anything. 

And you somehow believe that a loss of employment is the only thing keeping people's mouths shut?