Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

15 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Wonder if Hester tried to commit and we told him to hold off for now. 

Sounds like Hester might be getting the Demariyon Houston treatment..

(Old article on Demariyon Houston From NEWSOK )

https://newsok.com/article/5617855/high-school-football-millwood-star-demariyon-houstons-recruitment-remains-up-in-the-air

Millwood star receiver De'Mariyon Houston was set on signing with Texas on Wednesday to open the early National Signing Day.  He had taken several promotional photos, had visits with the coaches and been to campus. But something changed in the last few weeks.  Texas' interest waned.  Despite being committed since early July, Houston was discouraged. It was time to start over in the recruiting process. One of the state's top recruits re-entered the market.

“It was like they found somebody else or something and they were really trying to push him off,” Millwood athletic director Shannon Hayes said. “He felt like they didn't want him anymore.”

Edited by LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

My OU buddy says he’s hearing that Watts is about to open it up. Anyone have any insight into whether or not we’ll pursue, or are we more interested in other options at corner?

Not sure about UT but texags been talking about him maybe flipping to them in the past

Just now, Thiefery said:

Think it was the bauringer guy who was saying something along those lines

He’s an aggy mod, right? Given the chasm between what the aggys frequently think and reality, i’ll be interested to hear from someone capable of objective thought. 

Suchomel was definitely the most wrong about this recruitment, and a large portion of the Broughton is gone to aggy stuff originally emanated from him. I think the rivals camp is the only time Suchomel actually talked to Broughton directly and that happened right after the aggy visit. He’s factoring in post-visit highs now but he didn’t at the time.

Assuming his story is true and VB told him it was an Aggy-OSU battle with us on the outside, plus his personal belief that distance was a concern, I kinda think his pessimism was justified. When so many of these guys are making shit up based on conversations with family/friends/coaches, I can’t really fault the guy for basing his predictions on the exact words he’s been told by the recruit.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Fud said:

As a prospect, I think Stone is better. His advanced passing ability makes him more of a sure thing, and he's a decent athlete to boot; could potentially be a Baker Mayfield type. Potential DFW recruiting boost in a loaded DFW year, at least at the top (top five 247 in-state prospects are from DFW, although it drops off after that), is a bonus, especially if he commits early; although for some of the guys like Brockermeyers, Byrd, and Earle, we might not need his help. I have big concerns about the odds of him sticking around. I don't think he's a Trevor Lawrence type of 5* where he'd surpass Roschon, Card, and Jackson early, which means he'd likely be sitting for about three years before starting for two, and 5*s transfer at an alarming rate nowadays (from 2010 to the 2018 class, there have been 19 composite 5* QBs, and 11 of them transferred at some point). Given that Stone has already shown a proclivity to chance the scenery for early playing time in high school, I don't think it's farfetched that he'd do it in college. A 5* looks great on paper, but if he transfers after a year on campus like Bru McCoy (or Cam Rising), then in the end the class ranking doesn't mean a lot. If he commits to Texas, I won't bitch too much though about landing a 5*. 

In regards to prospect rating, I don't think he's far enough ahead as a prospect over Milroe to not make it a conversation. As baseball scouts like to say, Milroe is "toolsy"; very athletic, good size, good arm; and there's probably more arm to unlock if the mechanics get fixed. I really like his running ability. Unlike some other running QBs, he has a lot of wiggle and spatial awareness, and runs and cuts decisively to go with his obvious speed. Right now, he's a running QB, not a dual threat. He needs a lot of work in the passing game, but at Texas, he'd likely be afforded that time given the depth chart. In college football, dual threats are trump cards who are match winners, and when given the choice between an athletic traditional passer and a dual threat, I lean towards the dual threat. I'm curious to know how much of an impact he'd have in recruiting. He's teammates with Tunmise, but who else could he help with locally? I think he'd much more likely stick around until he can compete for the starting spot as an upperclassman than Stone. 

I'd like to land both, but that seems very unlikely, especially after landing two the previous year. 

Nice write up but you forgot to factor in that if we choose Stone we probably have to give Stone's dad an office at Moncrief according to @futureman

8 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

The day after Broughton finished his A&M visit (the last of his five), he made his way to Atlanta for the Five-Star Challenge. I talked to him there on the record. With a microphone in his face, he listed all five schools he had visited as being equal and in contention. A few minutes after that interview, he and I talked off the record in a more informal fashion. I asked him which schools were legitimately in contention, and he told me it was Texas A&M, Texas and Ohio State. LSU and Arkansas really weren’t factors. When asked if there was any one school that was standing out prior to him sitting down with his family to go over his options, Broughton told me it was Texas A&M and Ohio State on top, with Texas sitting below those two.

The A&M new wasn’t exactly a surprise coming off of his Aggie official visit. Ohio State being that high on his list was a surprise … nobody I know of was really taking the Buckeyes seriously, mostly due to proximity. The following day, after letting things sink in for a bit, I asked Broughton to gauge how close the race was. If A&M and Ohio State were a 10 in his mind, where was Texas? Were the Longhorns a 2, a 5, a 9.5? “I’d say a solid 8,” Broughton told me (again, off the record). It was at that time that I reported that I felt Texas had some ground to make up in Broughton’s mind, with the caveat that Broughton’s meeting with his mother and grandmother would be key and could sway this one.

Just circling back to this for a second. I have to laugh a bit about Suchomel making such a big deal of "on the record" vs. "off the record". Yes, he didn't quote Broughton word for word on where he had Texas vs. A&M and Ohio State, but he made it abundantly clear that Texas was below those two schools based on what Broughton had told them. No need to make a show of keeping a recruit's confidence.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Just circling back to this for a second. I have to laugh a bit about Suchomel making such a big deal of "on the record" vs. "off the record". Yes, he didn't quote Broughton word for word on where he had Texas vs. A&M and Ohio State, but he made it abundantly clear that Texas was below those two schools based on what Broughton had told them. No need to make a show of keeping a recruit's confidence.

So my question is, was Suchomel being played by VB to develop suspense over the last month or was VB sincere when he said Texas was in 3rd behind aggy and osu?

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Recruiting coordinator at North Shore

More than just the recruiting coordinator at NS

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Notice the word was singular. They’re hard to avoid in DFW. Those of you who don’t live here, count yourselves lucky. 

I worked in Dallas many years ago and a co-worker was a huge OU fan.  Once with a straight face he said he climbed some tall mountain range in Oklahoma and while he was camped there with some other Okies they saw a UFO.  He said that they were all drunk and armed.  He said they opened fire on the UFO, emptied all their ammo and it flew away at light speed.  I knew he was a fucking liar because there are no mountains in Oklahoma.  

21 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Notice the word was singular. They’re hard to avoid in DFW. Those of you who don’t live here, count yourselves lucky. 

The problem is that the rest of the state is more heavily Aggie populated. I'm not sure which is worse. Aggies are definitely more annoying in my experience though.

24 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

I worked in Dallas many years ago and a co-worker was a huge OU fan.  Once with a straight face he said he climbed some tall mountain range in Oklahoma and while he was camped there with some other Okies they saw a UFO.  He said that they were all drunk and armed.  He said they opened fire on the UFO, emptied all their ammo and it flew away at light speed.  I knew he was a fucking liar because there are no mountains in Oklahoma.  

imgur
/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png" />

24 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Wichita Mountains just north of Lawton and I believe some of the Oauchita mountains.

36 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

spacer.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

The problem is that the rest of the state is more heavily Aggie populated. I'm not sure which is worse. Aggies are definitely more annoying in my experience though.

ou is always worse. fuck ou.

• Like 1