Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Hand just wants an excuse to go antiquing up in the Berkshires since his class is one piece away from being done.

The Berkshires seemed dream-like on account of that frosting
With ten miles behind me and ten thousand more to go.

15 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Coach Hand started following OL Tobias Braun of Salisbury, CT.

He's from Germany, played in Bullard, TX for his junior year and recently transferred up north.

https://247sports.com/Player/Tobias-Braun-46057930/

not that it makes a huge difference here, but he went to Brook Hill (private, TAPPS) not Bullard ISD (4A)

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

not that it makes a huge difference here, but he went to Brook Hill (private, TAPPS) not Bullard ISD (4A)

It kind of shows. He takes a ton of false steps and doesn't seem to know the position that well.

ESPN300 updated rankings. Previous rankings here: https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/100-texas-recruiting-notes-2020/&do=findComment&comment=1244496

1. Zach Evans

9. Justin Flowe

10. Sav'ell Smalls

12. Kelee Ringo

18. Haynes King (A&M commit)

20. Jase McClellan (OU commit)

21. Demond Demas (A&M commit)

23. Dontae Manning

31. Bijan Robinson

33. Ja'Quinden Jackson (Texas commit)

37. Drew Sanders (Alabama commit)

38. Kendall Milton

48. D.J. Uiagalelei (Clemson commit)

50. Jason Harris

53. Andrew Raym (OU commit)

57. Nate Anderson (OU commit)

58. Johnny Wilson

60. Quentin Johnston

61. Jaylon Jones (A&M commit)

62. Hudson Card (Texas commit)

63. Jake Majors (Texas commit)

71. Chris Thompson Jr.

78. Vernon Broughton (Texas commit)

82. Jalen Kimber (Georgia commit)

85. Kitan Crawford (Texas commit)

88. Bryce Young (USC commit)

91. Clark Phillips III (Ohio State commit)

94. EJ Smith

103. Ethan Pouncey

106. Mookie Cooper (Ohio State commit)

109. RJ Mickens (Clemson commit)

115. Alfred Collins

122. Jaxon Smith-Nijgba (Ohio State commit)

123. Michael Henderson (OU commit)

140. Jahari Rogers (Florida commit)

143. Seth McGowan (OU commit)

149. Chad Lindberg

151. Fadil Diggs (A&M commit)

156. Lathan Ransom (Ohio State commit)

163. Jaylen Garth (Texas commit)

170. Bryson Washington (OU commit)

174. Muhsin Muhammad III (A&M commit)

177. Garrett Hayes

179. Troy Omeire (A&M commit)

182. Lorando Johnson (LSU commit)

183. Kevontre Bradford

184. Javian Hester

185. Ty'Kieast Crawford (Arkansas commit)

187. Tosh Baker (Notre Dame commit)

201. Len'Neth Whitehead

203. Logan Parr (Texas commit)

214. Xavion Alford

216. Dwight McGlothern Jr.

226. Malik Hornsby

233. James Sylvester (TCU commit)

234. Prince Dorbah (Texas commit)

236. Ryan Watts (OU commit)

238. Chandler Morris (Arkansas commit)

239. Princely Umanmielen

241. Josh White (LSU commit)

251. Brendon Lewis

254. Myles Slusher (Oregon commit)

258. Devon Achane

264. Alec Bryant (LSU commit)

266. Marvin Mims Jr.

267. Jerrin Thompson

273. Damieon George (Alabama commit)

299. Deuce Hogan (Iowa commit)

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

You kind of got the feeling a bump like that was coming for King. Wiltfong was talking him up as a five-star as well.

Honestly, for an "update" I'm kind of surprised by how little movement there seems to be in general, at least in the Texas commits. Jackson, Majors, Card, Broughton all basically stayed in exactly the same spots or shuffled a place or two. I somewhat expected Card to move SOME way or other after the Elite 11. 

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

King didn't get an ESPN bump from the Elite 11. He was #19 going back to their late-April update.

Yeah, King has been propped up by ESPN's ranking at this point. 247 has him at 32, and ESPN has him at 18. His composite ranking is 74 right now because fucking Rivals doesn't even have him ranked nationally. He's listed at the #38 player in the state of Texas by Rivals. So the jump for King should certainly be expected, as soon (ok, IF) Rivals gets their shit together, he'll blow way up the composite rankings. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Honestly, for an "update" I'm kind of surprised by how little movement there seems to be in general, at least in the Texas commits. Jackson, Majors, Card, Broughton all basically stayed in exactly the same spots or shuffled a place or two. I somewhat expected Card to move SOME way or other after the Elite 11. 

I haven't seen it anywhere and I've looked but does anyone know if Elite11 did that video series they do every year? It's usually on YouTube. Kind of like Hard Knocks. Lots of Trent Dilfer getting his rocks off talking to mid-pubescent boys but the football content and editing wasn't bad. 

King, a "5 star prospect" has no offers from Texas, ou, LSU, uga, ohio state, usc, bama.... Even Tenn who was one of the schools pushing for him hard, felt the need to take another QB even if they were to land him.

He's good, but should be in the 100-250 range.  

Majors should be lower.  McClellan should be lower.  Jaylon Jones should be lower.  QJQ should be higher.    Demas needs to be in the top 10.  I would put Ringo and Flowe above Evans.  Omeire, Hornsby, and George should not even be on that list.  Collins should be a top 50 prospect and Dorbal should be in the top 100.  Elite pass rushers aren't that low normally.  Just the first few thoughts I had looking at that list.  I don't think any of our OL are top 150 prospects.  I would put Garth at 150 where they have him.  Lindberg around 200.  Parr would barely be a 4 star and Majors a 3 star in my book.  Majors needs to add a lot of size would need 2 years in a S&C program before I would trust him to hold up as a back up.  He gets pushed around very easily right now.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, victory88 said:

King, a "5 star prospect" has no offers from Texas, ou, LSU, uga, ohio state, usc, bama.... Even Tenn who was one of the schools pushing for him hard, felt the need to take another QB even if they were to land him.

Majors should be lower.  McClellan should be lower.  Jaylon Jones should be lower.  QJQ should be higher.    Demas needs to be in the top 10.  I would put Ringo and Flowe above Evans.  Omeire, Hornsby, and George should not even be on that list.  Collins should be a top 50 prospect and Dorbal should be in the top 100.  Elite pass rushers aren't that low normally.  Just the first few thoughts I had looking at that list.  I don't think any of our OL are top 150 prospects.  I would put Garth at 150 where they have him.  Lindberg around 200.  Parr would barely be a 4 star and Majors a 3 star in my book.  Majors needs to add a lot of size would need 2 years in a S&C program before I would trust him to hold up as a back up.  He gets pushed around very easily right now.  

That first part read like it was written on Texags. King is an awesome prospect and he showed out at the elite 11. He  is worthy of a lofty ranking. 

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Just the first few thoughts I had looking at that list.  I don't think any of our OL are top 150 prospects.  I would put Garth at 150 where they have him.  Lindberg around 200.  Parr would barely be a 4 star and Majors a 3 star in my book.  Majors needs to add a lot of size would need 2 years in a S&C program before I would trust him to hold up as a back up.  He gets pushed around very easily right now.  

Interesting.... any 2020 OL recruits that Texas still has a shot at that you like better than the 4 OL recruits you just mentioned??

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting.... any 2020 OL recruits that Texas still has a shot at that you like better than the 4 OL recruits you just mentioned??

Really no need to load up on 2020 linemen with the 2021 class around the corner. We should be done after Lindberg. 

48 minutes ago, victory88 said:

someone had piss in their cheerios this morning

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I like Nate Anderson over Lindberg. I don't think we have much of a shot, though. We haven't even offered.

Edited by Machinator

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I like Nate Anderson over Lindberg.

Is Texas still even a possibility for Nate since he's a blOU commit?

https://247sports.com/Player/Nate-Anderson-46057968/  

Also wonder if Karic adds weight this summer, does his rating shoot up?

https://247sports.com/Player/Andrej-Karic-46050370/  

Based on his film, I have concerns about Lindberg's ceiling in college...

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I like Nate Anderson over Lindberg. I don't think we have much of a shot, though. We haven't even offered.

I tend to agree, and I’m sure it’s too late to get in on that one now. I think Lindberg ends up at guard. 

Projecting OL is a total crapshoot at this point. 

Our starting LT (a good one by the way) was a low 3 star that people made fun of when we flipped him from Houston. Our last draft pick was a 3 star that a couple in-state schools passed on. 

OL is becoming a position where I tend to put more value in the coaches making the evaluations than where a certain recruit is ranked or their film. This isn't a "fuck the recruiting rankings" take at all but I have a hard time caring about where OL prospects are ranked. I think OL is a position where development and evaluation is just as important as having a rainmaker recruiter. Let's hope that's Hand. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Projecting OL is a total crapshoot at this point. 

Our starting LT (a good one by the way) was a low 3 star that people made fun of when we flipped him from Houston. Our last draft pick was a 3 star that a couple in-state schools passed on. 

OL is becoming a position where I tend to put more value in the coaches making the evaluations than where a certain recruit is ranked or their film. This isn't a "fuck the recruiting rankings" take at all but I have a hard time caring about where OL prospects are ranked. I think OL is a position where development and evaluation is just as important as having a rainmaker recruiter. Let's hope that's Hand. 

They both have in common that they were skinny athletes with a lot of want-to and bulked up in college. Lindberg makes everyone a bit nervous since he's already pretty big, and it doesn't all look like great weight.

22 minutes ago, ASDFASDF said:

Really no need to load up on 2020 linemen with the 2021 class around the corner. We should be done after Lindberg. 

Like how folks rationalized losing Sanders and Cain was no big deal because 2020 is loaded and we led for Evans, right?