Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Like how folks rationalized losing Sanders and Cain was no big deal because 2020 is loaded and we led for Evans, right? 

2020 OL recruiting >>>>>>>> 2019 RB recruiting though. It'd take another awful stroke of luck like what happened with DGF/Derrian Brown to

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Well in this case it would mean taking 4 OL instead of 5, which is fine.

I know it's different in this case because depth looks good and we are in a good position for next year. I just think that if you think a guy is good enough to take, then you take him regardless. Bird in the hand, and all that bullshit.

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I know it's different in this case because depth looks good and we are in a good position for next year. I just think that if you think a guy is good enough to take, then you take him regardless. Bird in the hand, and all that bullshit.

It's actually Byrd in the bush this go around. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Projecting OL is a total crapshoot at this point. 

Our starting LT (a good one by the way) was a low 3 star that people made fun of when we flipped him from Houston. Our last draft pick was a 3 star that a couple in-state schools passed on. 

OL is becoming a position where I tend to put more value in the coaches making the evaluations than where a certain recruit is ranked or their film. This isn't a "fuck the recruiting rankings" take at all but I have a hard time caring about where OL prospects are ranked. I think OL is a position where development and evaluation is just as important as having a rainmaker recruiter. Let's hope that's Hand. 

This is correct. Clemson's best OL recruit under Dabo just graduated as a 4 year starter at LT. Two time AA. Went undrafted.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This is correct. Clemson's best OL recruit under Dabo just graduated as a 4 year starter at LT. Two time AA. Went undrafted.

Exactly. A 5 star OL who started all 4 years and was an AA really proves the point that recruit rankings are unreliable when it comes to OL. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

NFL scouting relies way too much on measurables.

College recruiting services throw darts at the board when it comes to OL. They don't know what they're looking for or at and don't even seem to try and project players to the college level. Pro-tip: a 6'5" 270 lb HS OT throwing around 5'10" 225 lb HS DL is not impressive.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

They both have in common that they were skinny athletes with a lot of want-to and bulked up in college. Lindberg makes everyone a bit nervous since he's already pretty big, and it doesn't all look like great weight.

Yeah,  every time I think of Lindberg I laugh...

giphy.gif

Hopefully Lindberg is a hard worker and has a mean streak that drives him to play till the echo of the whistle...

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah,  every time I think of Lindberg I laugh...

giphy.gif

Hopefully Lindberg is a hard worker and has a mean streak that drives him to play till the echo of the whistle...

That's Logan Parr's favorite superhero! They even have the same last name

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Exactly. A 5 star OL who started all 4 years and was an AA really proves the point that recruit rankings are unreliable when it comes to OL. 

Mitch Hyatt was kind of like Rodrique Wright. He benefited from being a leader/standout on the best team of the season and being a good technician, but he was very inconsistent at Clemson and actually got beaten quite a bit. 

All of the scouring reports on Hyatt were basically "this dude is limited in terms of power and quickness and should have spent a LOT more time in the weight room".

Just now, trythisathome said:

So this is a bit random, but to be clear, losing Samples isn't expected to affect anyone outside of maybe Quay Davis, right? 

Davis says he's 100% committed, so we should be in the clear.

He seemed to be running point on Wheaton, so it's too bad he left before he was in the boat.

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Tray Allen is in the running for G.O.A.T. among Texas recruiting busts. Actually, he is the G.O.A.T.

Nope. Has to be Andre Jones. High 4 star who not only was a criminal but corrupted and drug down Robert Joseph.  Hard to beat that combo of destruction. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

NFL scouting relies way too much on measurables.

College recruiting services throw darts at the board when it comes to OL. They don't know what they're looking for or at and don't even seem to try and project players to the college level. Pro-tip: a 6'5" 270 lb HS OT throwing around 5'10" 225 lb HS DL is not impressive.

Jason Smith from Baylor comes to mind 

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Jason Smith from Baylor comes to mind 

Foster Sarell and Walker Little is a great example. Same position, nearly identical measurables and ranking, committed to same school. Walker is AA, Sarell isn’t even starting. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Nope. Has to be Andre Jones. High 4 star who not only was a criminal but corrupted and drug down Robert Joseph.  Hard to beat that combo of destruction. 

Jones may need his own category. What a disaster and disappointment. But I thought Joseph was pretty bad in his own right. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

I don't think that's fair. Bust usually is associated with play on the field. A guy turning straight B&E and brandishing a weapon should be it's own category, IMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't think that's fair. Bust usually is associated with play on the field. A guy turning straight B&E and brandishing a weapon should be it's own category, IMO.

Yea this is depressing. Not sure why I brought it up. Let’s move on. Mea culpa.