Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This was a big article around the country about QB's, but I'll just paste the part from Spiegelman about the state of Texas.  Says Card should leap King in the Rivals rankings

is the clear-cut QB1 in Texas. At the beginning of the cycle, I felt Card was a Rivals100 prospect. His film was incredible and you saw glimpses of what makes the future Longhorn so special. He has a strong arm, but what is more impressive is how accurate he is throwing all over the yard. In-person, Card showed off how mobile he is against Mansfield Timberview as he sliced up a very talented defense with his arms and legs. The future of Texas football is very bright with Card on the way. As it stands now, Card should leap 

-- who drew a lot of buzz in the offseason -- as the top signal-caller in Texas.

Well I, for one, am shocked - SHOCKED - that the guy who all the big schools offered when the pads were on (even the fightin’ Texum ags and their QB whisperer) is showing up the camp circuit hero once real games started again.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MoJames said:

And which of our younger QBs isn't really a RB who can throw?

Thompson.

6 hours ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

I see all of your names and raise you a Sam Cosmi.

He could go to the NFL at some point. Or he could be a legendary RB here. The choice is his.

Cosmi is the next Moose Johnston.

4 hours ago, Voluminous Banality said:

Plodding, possession WR space-eating DT.

But, can he cover a slot?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2752682-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-slot-receivers-of-2017-season#slide0

The increased frequency with which NFL teams deploy three- and four-receiver formations with at least one slot receiver is matched only by the responsibilities those slot targets must take on. A decade ago, slot receivers were specialty players, smaller guys without too much speed who caught three-yard slants and tried to get yards after the catch. 

They now have diverse individual skill sets. There are still the Wes Welker types who pick up a high volume of catches underneath linebackers, but there are more speed receivers who run deep seam routes and posts. There are bigger receivers moved inside to create mismatches with slot cornerbacks or linebackers. There are running backs who either line up in the slot in empty-backfield formations, or flare to the slot from the backfield.

TFB Open Post is up

https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/10/open-post-weekend-october-11th-13th/

Spoiler

***A number of 2020 commits will be in for the game. I won’t bother listing them but it’s your usual suspects: Jackson, Card, Dorbah, Crawford, etc.

***Again, Eaton is probably the most notable commit attending because of the press OU has made in his recruitment.

***I mentioned 2020 RB, Kevontre Bradford (Lancaster) will be at the game. Another 2020 weapon though that will be at the game and continues to be a guy to keep an eye on is 2020 ATH (WR/DB), Dajon Harrison. Harrison is someone Texas likes, especially as a slot. The staff isn’t just giving out invitations so I think this is further proof that Harrison is a guy to watch.

IT

With Texas being the home team, the Horns get to host some of the best in the state on Saturday. It's a great atmosphere and environment for a recruit with aspirations of playing at the next level. A good showing can do wonders for a class. Ask either side.

UT knows where they stand with most of the 2020 crop, so this'll be an opportunity for 2021 and 2022 top targets to get a taste of the State Fair and the RRS. We're still confirming names, so don't be surprised to see this list grow.

RB Ty Jordan, West Mesquite (Mesquite, TX) (TEXAS): While Jordan takes a break from breaking plays, he'll be in the stands at the Cotton Bowl. He needs a turkey leg, he's earned it.

WR Quentin Johnston, Temple (Temple, TX) (TEXAS): A coach in the area faced QJ this season. "He's a freak that's just learning the position. With his attitude and direction, he has no ceiling." I'm sure Drew Mehringer would agree.

WR Dajon Harrison, Hutto (Hutto, TX): It's uncertain how serious UT is here, though I believe it's Loic Founji insurance (he's taking his Texas OV vs KU or Tech), even though Harrison fits a different type of receiver. I don't see him as a take right now, especially with lack of vacancies on Floor 2020 of Hotel Horn.

LB Prince Dorbah, Highland Park (Dallas, TX) (TEXAS): Pretty cool when you can go watch Texas-OU with fellow pledges and be back home for the afternoon and evening CFB slate. That's living.

CB Josh Eaton, Aldine MacArthur (Houston, TX) (TEXAS): An interesting and potential subplot for the Class of 2020's finish. He's flirting with OU, but I don't know how much UT would miss him if he flipped before NSD. I do believe he enjoys the attention and it's not like Oklahoma can't sell early playing time. In fact, they may highlight early playing time on Saturday.

CB Jahdae Barron, Pflugerville Connally (Austin, TX) (BAYLOR): One of Matt Rhule's three-star collection, Barron is a nice prospect with nice offers.

ATH Kevontre Bradford, Lancaster (Lancaster, TX): Another interesting uncommitted talent on the prospect list. At 5-foot-11, almost 200 pounds, holds some major offers - Ohio State, Wisconsin, LSU, USC, and Ole Miss - among the 25+ invitations. He has interest Texas, and I believe they see an athlete first who could move to RB if the entire position ends up on the injury report in the middle of fall camp. Safety might be his best position. If Texas pushes and lands Bradford for running back, then Ty Jordan could be viewed as an H/RB.

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage (Carthage, TX) (ARKANSAS): The versatile three-star scores in multiple ways for the 4A Bulldogs, the alma mater of big brother Keaontay Ingram. Don't be surprised if this isn't Moochie's (his nickname as a child) final appearance at RRS.

ATH Jaden Hullaby, Mansfield Timberview (Arlington, TX): He's having a good season at QB and continuing the trend of taking a few pure, naturally athletic football players and finding roles for them.

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Kitan may have the best, all around senior tape out of all of our defensive commitments. Good for him.

CB has been an expected roller coaster this year, but we are going to have some nice depth the next few years with Jalen, DJ, Cook, Watson, Crawford and Pouncey.  And Ringo of course. 

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

WR Dajon Harrison, Hutto (Hutto, TX): It's uncertain how serious UT is here, though I believe it's Loic Founji insurance (he's taking his Texas OV vs KU or Tech), even though Harrison fits a different type of receiver. I don't see him as a take right now, especially with lack of vacancies on Floor 2020 of Hotel Horn.

ATH Kevontre Bradford, Lancaster (Lancaster, TX): Another interesting uncommitted talent on the prospect list. At 5-foot-11, almost 200 pounds, holds some major offers - Ohio State, Wisconsin, LSU, USC, and Ole Miss - among the 25+ invitations. He has interest Texas, and I believe they see an athlete first who could move to RB if the entire position ends up on the injury report in the middle of fall camp. Safety might be his best position. If Texas pushes and lands Bradford for running back, then Ty Jordan could be viewed as an H/RB.

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage (Carthage, TX) (ARKANSAS): The versatile three-star scores in multiple ways for the 4A Bulldogs, the alma mater of big brother Keaontay Ingram. Don't be surprised if this isn't Moochie's (his nickname as a child) final appearance at RRS.

I wonder what the play is here. They make it sound like Dixon or Bradford would be a replacement for Eaton. But, they also make it sound like we are looking at a RB and slot. Who do y'all think is the priority?

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I wonder what the play is here. They make it sound like Dixon or Bradford would be a replacement for Eaton. But, they also make it sound like we are looking at a RB and slot. Who do y'all think is the priority?

tOSU doesn't have a committed running back. They're in on a few, but Ellis thinks they push for Bradford. Dixon isn't insurance for anyone, Wells has said they want him in the class irrelevant to whether Eaton flips. Dajon has been called Founji insurance, but CTJ has said that the staff likes him as a stand alone so it may be first to commit there if/when Texas offers.

12 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

tOSU doesn't have a committed running back. They're in on a few, but Ellis thinks they push for Bradford. Dixon isn't insurance for anyone, Wells has said they want him in the class irrelevant to whether Eaton flips. Dajon has been called Founji insurance, but CTJ has said that the staff likes him as a stand alone so it may be first to commit there if/when Texas offers.

Is Wells correct? This statement seems to contradict that:

Nevermind, I had poor reading comprehension. I read it three times and each time I read, "Don't be surprised if this is Mocchie's final appearance at RRS".

Edited by Bevo

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Read it again, but slower. Maybe out loud. Or you can try transcribing it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think you misread that. That's saying he's probably going to flip.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Nevermind, I had poor reading comprehension. I read it three times and each time I read, "Don't be surprised if this is Mocchie's final appearance at RRS".

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Read it again, but slower. Maybe out loud. Or you can try transcribing it.

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think you misread that. That's saying he's probably going to flip.

He's flipping to the Gooners....doomed!

9 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

If tOSU likes Bradford as a RB, so should we.

They didn't like him at RB as much as our other committed rb who was briefly a silent to them. I think we're all set at rb this cycle, but if he wants to play safety and can be convinced his ceiling is on defense, go for it. Otherwise, wasted energy imo.

• Like 1

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

They didn't like him at RB as much as our other committed rb who was briefly a silent to them. I think we're all set at rb this cycle, but if he wants to play safety and can be convinced his ceiling is on defense, go for it. Otherwise, wasted energy imo.

I thought they were really pushing for him? Doesn't matter, we got Bijan and they're left with someone's leftovers. As for him playing defense, I'm all for it, too. 

28 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

31 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I was curious how fast he is so I entered into google kevontre bradford 40 time - His first three entries showed him at 5'11", 6'0", and 6'2" (with a 4.4 40). I couldn't find a sparq. Does he run track and does he play any defense in high school? Just curious where he projects to on defense. It looks like he has offers from everywhere but if we are still in it for Ringo, I don't see much need at corner.

“I wonder if Dixon were to catch a lateral in the backfield and score, would it be considered a touchdown?” - Bevo

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

I'm behind, who is Eaton flipping to?