Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

On 10/12/2019 at 2:26 PM, texifornia said:

OK let's go through what he's asking for:

Non-project OL: EVERY OL is a project. Look at Kenyon Green playing matador at aggy.

Small outside WRs: Why? Tall is good outside. Epps is mediocre, but that's a strange obssession Meh has. Hopefully he gets supplanted by Washington. Plus, Sam keeps underthrowing them instead of letting them jump over those little OU DBs.

TEs that can play: Liebrock and Wiley are in the redshirt slow-cooker.

Sam also hit Eagles and Johnson in stride, both stoned them. Eagles likely would have scored on a 99 yard TD. Johnson had 3 steps on his defender and would have picked up another 20+ yards. Our WRs are Meh. They have too much trouble getting separation, and when they did they dropped easy passes.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Back to recruiting, the haul along the DL with Van, VB, Princely and Collins (hopefully), is the type of class that should shut OL's like ou in the near future.

and Texas should play all 4 of them at the same time. Try running the ball against that 4 man front.

On 10/12/2019 at 3:26 PM, UDontKnow said:

How is it that so many of our players are sustaining severe injuries - especially defense and especially the secondary? Herman needs to do a root cause analysis. Between Yancy and Orlando, the problem should not be this severe.

Because they are mostly out of position trying to make plays.

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Sam also hit Eagles and Johnson in stride, both stoned them. Eagles likely would have scored on a 99 yard TD. Johnson had 3 steps on his defender and would have picked up another 20+ yards. Our WRs are Meh. They have too much trouble getting separation, and when they did they dropped easy passes.

Tired of BIG WRs that can't get off press coverage and create separation...

blOU and LSU WRs much better than Collin and Eagles...

53 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

They held our receivers the whole game

And they got called for it when our receivers tried in the least to make a play on the ball. You show me a team that is not the aggressor and does not skirt the line of pass interference and holding and I will show you a bad defense. Ours, for instance. 

We played soft, uninspired football and Oklahoma came to play. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

And they got called for it when our receivers tried in the least to make a play on the ball. You show me a team that is not the aggressor and does not skirt the line of pass interference and holding and I will show you a bad defense. Ours, for instance. 

We played soft, uninspired football and Oklahoma came to play. 

Grinch made an interesting comment on this after the game.  He said Riley bugged him about PI penalties and he said if we do not get a couple each game it means we are not being aggressive enough.   If you watched the Florida LSU game it was the same thing.  Their Dbs were daring the refs to call it.  But you can’t play that way if you line up 10 yards off a guy.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Grinch made an interesting comment on this after the game.  He said Riley bugged him about PI penalties and he said if we do not get a couple each game it means we are not being aggressive enough.   If you watched the Florida LSU game it was the same thing.  Their Dbs were daring the refs to call it.  But you can’t play that way if you line up 10 yards off a guy.  

It's a brilliant strategy. If you can't stop them, just grab

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Yup.  Refs will rarely call it twice in a row.  I'm not sure why our dumbass coaches don't employ this same strategy.  ou's DBs were holding on every fucking play and they barely called it.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Exactly. And when we put Epps and Brewer on the field we are telling OU we intend to run routes in a phone booth. We made it easy for them. Run a 7 yard stop over and over with Epps and you fucking bet opposing coaches are going to play us tight.

Meanwhile Riley is putting all sorts of mismatches on the field and running aggressive routes to take the attack to us. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

3 hours ago, Goodman said:

Don't worry, Epps, Pouncey and Omeire are on their way to help us out.

We've got to get Jake Smith and Duvernay on the field at the same time more often. Cade Brewer ran a lot of routes split out wide with relatively little added utility, aside from blocking on our outside screens that went nowhere.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, futureman said:

you’re such a pussy. 

That’s not an argument.  They held our receivers on just about every play, so Sam wasn’t getting rid of the ball. Hence the 9 or 10 sacks.  Those are just facts. If you want to say that our defense should play the same way, I would agree. If you want to say that our receivers should push the holding defenders off of them, well I guess we would have to see how that works out with offensive pass interference being called against us. 

How many holding calls do you remember in the OU game? They hardly called any, and it was clear the refs were going to allow a lot of shit from the first blatant face mask, the OU player knocking over our lineman long after the play was dead, the obvious holding non-calls, etc. It was obvious early and we failed to take advantage of it. 

Edited by Sejjr

12 hours ago, satyanash said:

Cade Brewer ran a lot of routes split out wide with relatively little added utility, aside from blocking on our outside screens that went nowhere.

We suck at WR screens, but you wouldn't know it from the play calling. We couldn't even run them consistently against Rice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:
20 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

We suck at WR screens, but you wouldn't know it from the play calling. We couldn't even run them consistently against Rice.

This is the kind of fan idiocy after a loss I always enjoy. Duvernay Feasted on WR screens against both LSU and La Tech. 

We were also fantastic in the RB dump and WR bubble against WVU, but didn't call them consistently enough to capitalize.  Then on Saturday, when they weren't working at all, we were spamming them.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

We were also fantastic in the RB dump and WR bubble against WVU, but didn't call them consistently enough to capitalize.  Then on Saturday, when they weren't working at all, we were spamming them.

Yep. Our play calling has been pretty poor all year, from fucking up the 4th and 3 against OSU (and multiple other similar plays that game), to just terrible play calling for the last 8 quarters. Is Beck back to calling plays? I had a hard time believing Herman was calling the last two games. It was truly horrendous play calling and game plan.

42 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

La Tech? That's funny. Duvernay trucked LSU players, which is great and all, but those weren't well executed plays.

Wrong. They absolutely were. The whole point of those plays is to get Duv 1 on 1 with a safety. We’ve been blocking the WR screens really well all year, outside of plays where Epps is blocking.

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Where things stand with commits visiting elsewhere

I spoke with sources over the weekend regarding two Texas commits who were taking visits. Let’s start with Aldine MacArthur cornerback Joshua Eaton. As I reported a few weeks ago, Oklahoma was becoming a big factor for the Texas cornerback commit. Eaton committed to Texas in the summer, but he decided to take an official visit to Norman, Okla. to see the Sooners. As I reported after the visit, the trip gave Eaton a lot to think about, and the Oklahoma defense presents a much easier path to playing time at the cornerback position.

Sources I spoke with late last week indicated that since that time, Eaton’s contact with the Texas staff had been inconsistent. On the other hand, sources in Norman informed me that Eaton’s communication with the Oklahoma staff was heavy. Following Saturday’s Red River Showdown, Eaton tweeted some cryptic tweets about having to make difficult decisions. Despite Eaton speaking with numerous sites to affirm his commitment a few weeks ago, the sources I spoke with aren’t feeling so confident. I’m not quite ready to put a flip pick in on my crystal ball, but I’m very close. I want to check with some sources this week, but it seems like Oklahoma has the momentum in this recruitment right now.

Where would Texas go if they were to lose Eaton? It’s possible that the Longhorns could visit a few different possibilities or just let the scholarship go and apply it elsewhere. The Longhorns already have Kitan Crawford and Ethan Pouncey committed, and they aren’t going to take another player just for the sake of it. It sounds like any possibility of getting back in with Jahari Rogers is all but dead. Texas had been keeping in contact, but Florida’s fast start to the season and victory over Auburn seemed to cool that down. Despite Florida losing to LSU over the weekend, I expect that the Gators are still in a pretty strong position there.

One player to watch would be Hutto ATH Dajon Harrison. Harrison was in Dallas to take in the game, and the Texas staff has been in contact. Harrison could be a receiver at the next level, but he’s also a darkhorse to be a cornerback at the next level.

I spoke with Manor DL Princely Umanmielen on Thursday after his game. Umanmielen told me then that he wouldn’t be making a Texas A&M visit, but he did inform me that he would probably take an official visit to Auburn at some point. In talking with Umanmielen and those around Manor, it sounds like he just wants to take some trips. Of course, you always have to worry about commits taking visits elsewhere, but I was told that Umanmielen was pretty locked in and simply taking advantage of his ability to take visits. Even the Oklahoma sources I spoke with indicated they had no type of confidence when he made his official visit to Norman.

I went ahead and entered a flip pick for the Longhorns to land Carthage ATH and Arkansas commit Kelvontay Dixon. As I mentioned last week, contact was picking up there and a shaky situation at Arkansas was starting to make it tough for the Razorbacks to hold on to Dixon. I was leaning towards entering this pick for the last week, but things really started to pick up when Carthage offensive tackle Ty'Kieast Crawford decided to decommit from Arkansas. Not only are cracks starting to form within that recruiting class, Dixon doesn’t have Crawford there with him anymore to persuade him to stay.

I think things with Dixon could move pretty quickly over the next few weeks, and it’s likely he’s the next commit in the class. Dixon would probably fit as a receiver where he could either play the “Z” or “H” position for the Longhorns. I even like him as a corner, due to his build and short area quickness. I think this one might be nearly over the finish line, but Texas just needs to keep pushing a bit more to get Dixon into the fold.

Despite a relatively close score, the Longhorns put together a pretty lackluster performance on Saturday against Oklahoma. In a game where Texas was allowed to host recruits, they struggled offensively for most of the day and defensive breakdowns late gave way to a Sooner win.

In talking with a few of the recruits after the game, it still seems like everyone had a good time and enjoyed the unique atmosphere of the Red River Showdown. Even with a loss, the Texas staff can still spin having two losses to Top 10 teams on the schedule and have a chance to get back to the Big 12 Championship to potentially avenge the loss.

The margin of error is starting to become thin though. In a year where Texas was expected to take a step forward, the Longhorns pretty much have to win out to exceed expectations. The class is firm right now, but a couple of baffling losses down the stretch could weaken the foundation there. The Longhorns did a great job building this class up and they just need to finish strong on the field to secure it.

Perroni's update on Alfred Collins' visit.

(Also posted on the Jimbo 2020 thread.)

Spoiler

I'll have a full update in the morning.

He had a lot of good things to say about the visit as he spent a ton of time with the players. His cousin is freshman walk-on LB Logan Bland so Collins was with him and Leon most of the time. He spent more time with the current players than the other recruits there, which matches up with the others there not getting much of a read on him.

Collins has been to A&M a lot and is comfortable in Aggieland, but I still think the longtime Texas ties are going to be too much to overcome. His last official is to Texas this coming weekend and then he will work on making a decision.

Other comment in the thread:

Jimbo spent a lot of time with him and made a push, but yeah, I don't think he ends up at A&M, so you are probably correct.

How many holding calls do you remember in the OU game? They hardly called any, and it was clear the refs were going to allow a lot of shit from the first blatant face mask, the OU player knocking over our lineman long after the play was dead, the obvious holding non-calls, etc. It was obvious early and we failed to take advantage of it. 

What obvious face mask? The play where Murray reached his arm out on the first drive wasn’t a face mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Catjuggler said:

What obvious face mask? The play where Murray reached his arm out on the first drive wasn’t a face mask.

You're right. It was a personal foul. It's been decades since you can tackle like Jack Lambert. 

27 minutes ago, Catjuggler said:

Clothes line tackles were illegal even when dirt burglar Daryl Hunt specialized in them during the 70s.

Edited by cochamps

16 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

ESPN updated their 300. Evans no longer 1. Bijan bumped up I think. Ja'quidin is QB now and ahead of Haynes. 

Dixon is now in the 300.

Anyone have the changes from the last one?  Who dropped/went up?

Karic bumped to 4*.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

8 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Damn that sucks.

15 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

ESPN updated their 300. Evans no longer 1. Bijan bumped up I think. Ja'quidin is QB now and ahead of Haynes. 

ESPN has Jaquinden as the 2nd highest ranked player in the state now behind only Evans.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Dixon is now in the 300.

Anyone have the changes from the last one?  Who dropped/went up?

Karic bumped to 4*.

You asking for a list of changes made me realize that I hadn't seen a post from the machine lately. He/They/It haven't posted since right before the OU game. Seems our team's performance broke our machine.