Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

7 hours ago, futureman said:

getafix is scrambling to fill the void and y’all are barely even acknowledging his effort.  giving him no credit at all.  savages. 

50 posts since August is not scrambling. 

That's not even a days work for Machinator. 

ESPN: College football recruiting rankings: What you need to know

Spoiler

The 2020 ESPN 300 player rankings have been updated, and there's plenty of movement, starting right at the top with a new No. 1 prospect.

Ohio State commit Julian Fleming has taken over as the No. 1 recruit in the 2020 class, replacing running back Zachary Evans, who is now at No. 7.

It's rare to see a wide receiver ranked No. 1 overall as the talent pool at that position is much deeper. However, Fleming comes from a different mold. He is a big, explosive target who blends a dangerous combination of size and athleticism. He's a matchup nightmare for smaller corners and will win the speed matchup against safeties and linebackers. Beyond his measurables and playmaking ability, Fleming also has demonstrated impact tools without the ball in his hands as a blocker and team leader.

"For a while, I thought I was going to Penn State, then for a while I thought I was going to Clemson, and then I just finally settled down and figured it out," Fleming said. "It was just the at-home feeling and their players. [Ohio State] puts their players first and all my visits there, I had countless hours with all the players, so I really got the college vibe right away."

The highest-rated ESPN 300 wide receivers to date are Percy Harvin in 2006 and Julio Jones in 2008, both finishing at No. 2 overall. Whether Fleming, the state's receiving record holder, can hold onto the top spot and be the first WR to finish as the No. 1 prospect remains to be seen, but at this stage the Ohio State verbal has shown he deserves of that ranking.

Possible destinations for uncommitted five-stars
Including Fleming, there are 17 five-star prospects in the new ESPN 300, nine of whom have announced a commitment. Clemson leads the way with three commitments from five-stars, while Ohio State has two. Alabama, Georgia, Stanford and Washington each have one.

That number for Georgia could improve as the Dawgs have quite a few five-star targets still on the board, including Jordan Burch, Darnell Washington, Kelee Ringo and Evans.

Georgia will have to battle Clemson and South Carolina for Burch, the No. 5 recruit, but still has a shot. Ringo, the top-ranked corner in the class, has a top five of Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Oregon and Texas. He visited Oregon this past weekend for the Ducks' game against Colorado.

Evans has Georgia as one of the schools he is considering and both LSU and Texas A&M are also in on his recruitment. This one could go in any direction, as it looked as though Georgia would land him, but now Texas A&M seems to have momentum.

Washington -- a 6-foot-7 tight end -- is one of the more intriguing prospects. Georgia has a good shot at landing him, but Alabama, Florida, Miami and Tennessee also are in the mix.

Arik Gilbert is another tight end who finds himself on the five-star list. While he was considering Georgia at one time, it seems Alabama and Clemson are both making strides in his recruitment.

Updated 2020 ESPN 300 player rankings
Including those listed above, there are eight uncommitted recruits ranked as five-stars, the highest-ranked being No. 2 Desmond Evans, the top defensive end in the class. The North Carolina native has Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia Tech in his top five and hasn't announced a commitment date.

Linebacker Reggie Grimes rounds out the list of five-stars and has a top group of Alabama, Florida State, South Carolina, Tennessee and Vanderbilt. Grimes won't make a commitment until closer to the early signing period, likely toward the end of November, so there's still time for schools to sway him in their direction.

Tua 2.0? Bama-bound signal caller No. 1 QB
Measurables play a role in the evaluation process whether at the college or NFL level, but they are referred to as "ideal measurables" for just that reason, as at each position it would be "ideal" if a prospect possessed a certain size or frame.

There are times, though, when you need to let the play and production speak for itself and not get locked in on the prototype. Bryce Young is a perfect example of that: He is a not a towering quarterback and possesses a slighter build, but those factors do not speak to the greater package he brings as a quarterback. Possessing a live arm with a quick, smooth release, he demonstrates great accuracy and very good arm strength.

Young is also a dual threat -- he has displayed the ability to exploit defenses with his legs when needed as well as the tools to shred them from the pocket with his arm. When defending him, you truly need to pick your poison. We also feel with some time in Alabama's strength and conditioning program to focus on his physical development, Young will be able to add some more mass to his frame for durability and running strength.

While a talented playmaker, Young's poise and maturity also play a factor in his success and his intangibles play a role in his ascension to the No. 1 overall QB ranking. Mater Dei has a rich QB history that includes two Heisman trophy winners (John Huarte and Matt Leinart), but there is a buzz among that program that Young may be the best to ever come through there and further evaluation is making it clearer why that praise may be quite fitting.

Rich get richer: Bama, Clemson, Ohio State load up
As of now, there are only 58 ESPN 300 recruits who are uncommitted. Within that list, 12 of the top 50, 21 of the top 100, and 27 of the top 150 have yet to announce a college decision.

That means there is still a good amount of top-end talent out there, but it also means the window is closing to land recruits in the ESPN 300 with the early signing period approaching on Dec. 18.

Alabama already has 19 ESPN 300 commitments in this class, the most of any school, and a chance to add a few more with limited spots left. Clemson, Texas and Ohio State are next, each holding 15 ESPN 300 commitments.

The Tigers have three five-star commits, though, and eight of the 15 are ranked within the top 100.

After those three programs, LSU has the next-most ESPN 300 commitments with 14, followed by Georgia with 13 and Florida, Florida State and Notre Dame all holding nine each. Michigan, Oklahoma, Penn State and Washington are in the next tier with eight each, followed by Auburn with seven.

USC, Nebraska struggling with 2020 class
As we have seen over the past two recruiting classes, approximately 70% of FBS prospects have signed in the early signing period, which gives coaches only two months to try to get most of their classes on board.

While some teams are in position to succeed, there are a few that are behind and need to catch up.

UCLA is one of those teams, with only one ESPN 300 commitment and 11 total commitments. The Bruins are not ranked in the top 40 of the class rankings after finishing No. 53 in the 2019. That is a steep drop-off from being ranked 19th in 2018, 18th in 2017, 15th in 2016 and 11th in 2015.

Staying in California, USC currently has no ESPN 300 commits and 11 total commitments, very similar to UCLA. The Trojans have been dealing with rumors about head coach Clay Helton and his job status, which makes it that much more difficult to recruit.

But the play on the field hasn't helped, either, combining everything together to make an uphill battle for the Trojans. The staff had the top-ranked quarterback, Bryce Young, committed, but he recently flipped to Alabama, leaving USC with no ESPN 300 commits and very little time to add to this class.

Another team that needs to make a move in the last few months is Nebraska. The Cornhuskers have three ESPN 300 commitments, only 13 total commitments and are ranked No. 40 in the class rankings.

The 4-2 start to the season likely hasn't helped in recruiting, but there needs to be a push from the staff to close strong to continue adding playmakers to this roster. Scott Frost and his assistants have done a good job in their first few classes, adding quarterback Adrian Martinez and receiver Wan'Dale Robinson, among others, but need to add more in this 2020 class.

ESPN 300 by the numbers
50: The state of Florida leads the way with the most prospects in the ESPN 300, with 50 total recruits.

19: Not surprisingly, Nick Saban and Alabama have the most commitments among ESPN 300 prospects, with 19 having verbally committed to the Crimson Tide.

47: Wide receivers dominate the position breakdown in the updated ESPN 300, with 47 total prospects. With so many high school and college programs employing three- and four-wide receiver sets, there is high quantity and demand for talent at the position.

6: Two schools, IMG Academy in Florida and St. Frances in Maryland, are tied with the most ESPN 300 prospects. Each school placed six recruits in the ESPN 300.

Emmitt Smith's son, E.J., leads notable names
The 2020 class of ESPN 300 prospects has quite a few recognizable names from the past, including wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad III, a Texas A&M commit. Muhammad's father, Muhsin, starred at Michigan State when Nick Saban was the head coach. He was then drafted by the Carolina Panthers and went on to a highly successful NFL career with two Pro Bowl appearances.

LSU has a few familiar names committed as well with quarterback Max Johnson, who is the son of super bowl-winning quarterback, Brad Johnson. The Tigers also have defensive end Demon Clowney committed, who is the cousin of former South Carolina defensive end, Jadeveon Clowney.

Arkansas commit Chandler Morris is the son of Arkansas head coach, Chad, while Louisville commit Chubba Purdy is the brother of Iowa State quarterback Brock Purdy.

Sam Adams II is also committed to a Pac-12 team in Washington, and his father, Sam Adams, was an All-American at Texas A&M before winning a Super Bowl in an outstanding career in the NFL.

Those are all big names, but there likely isn't a more well-known former athlete with a son in this 2020 class than former Dallas Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith. His son, E.J., is an uncommitted ESPN 300 wide receiver trying to navigate the recruiting process and find the right school after listing a top five that consisted of his father's alma mater, Florida, along with Georgia, Ohio State, Stanford and Texas A&M.

LSU, Texas commits enter the top 25

Jarrett is big, fast and simply difficult to contain at the high school level. His increased explosiveness was evident during a recent in-person scouting evaluation. Everyone in the stadium, including the opposing defense, knew Jarrett was a key target, yet he still was able to make plays and tally over 150 yards in receiving. He may not wow you in a straight 40-yard-testing setting, but in person he has impressive play speed and hits top-end in a hurry. He can also make defenders miss with the ball and has the size to overpower when needed. We also like the effort he gives without the ball and how he can use his size to be a productive blocker.

Jarrett, who is ranked No. 21 in the new update, is one of three ESPN 300 receivers committed to LSU along with Kayshon Boutte and Jermaine Burton. Jarrett has been committed to the Tigers since April, but he is planning to take a visit to Alabama on Oct. 25.

Bijan Robinson

Robinson is putting up video game-type numbers while running through and around opposing defenses. Averaging over 200 yards per game and over two first downs per carry (yes, that's accurate), the Texas commit shows high-end vision and explosiveness through first-level traffic. He displays Madden-type juke moves in the second level and can also use an effective stiff-arm. Competition matters and we feel if you're going to face inferior comp each week, you must continue to improve and dominate. Robinson is accomplishing just that.

Robinson is committed to Texas, and as the No. 22-ranked recruit, is part of an impressive offensive haul for Texas. Along with Robinson, the Longhorns have ESPN 300 quarterbacks Ja'Quiden Jackson and Hudson Card committed. Jackson will be given an opportunity to play quarterback, but is athletic enough to play a few positions at Texas.

The staff also has ESPN 300 wide receivers Quinten Johnson and Troy Omeire as well as offensive linemen Jake Majors, Jaylen Garth and Logan Parr in the class.

Notable new ESPN 300 prospects
Michael Redding

We have had a chance to see the Miami commit in person a few times this fall and he has impressed, making a jump into the ESPN 300 an easy decision. A receiver with a big frame, top-end speed and athleticism, Redding can be a playmaker out wide and with excellent body control. He makes difficult catches look routine. Another rise is still possible with more high-profile games to play at IMG as well as a chance to compete at the Under Armour All-America game.

Cooper Mays

Being the younger brother of 2018 ESPN 300 No. 3 OT Cade Mays can cast a big shadow, but Cooper is establishing himself as a very talented offensive lineman in his own right. A different player than his brother, who is a starter for Georgia, Cooper is not as big; but he has added more size and strength in the offseason, which has paid dividends. Mays, with continued development, could be a quick contributor at Tennessee, which is in need of young talent in the trenches.

When ESPN or Rivals do a ranking update, are those updates automatically reflected in the 247 composite, or does 247 have to do a refresh at some point?

I also wish some website would do an analysis comparing the 247, Rivals, ESPN and composite rankings over the past 5 or so years vs actual results. I think we all assume 247 is the most reliable of the three services, and it would be interesting to see if that’s actually been the case.

25 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

When ESPN or Rivals do a ranking update, are those updates automatically reflected in the 247 composite, or does 247 have to do a refresh at some point?

I also wish some website would do an analysis comparing the 247, Rivals, ESPN and composite rankings over the past 5 or so years vs actual results. I think we all assume 247 is the most reliable of the three services, and it would be interesting to see if that’s actually been the case.

247 does that after the NFL draft.  They claim their rankings are based on NFL potential and frame their success around the draft versus ESPN and Rivals.

35 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

On a related note, I've wondered whether it's simply better to use the 247 rankings (if they're the most accurate), as opposed to the composite.  

If ESPN/Rivals are uninformed and really bad, are they simply dilutive to composite? 

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

On a related note, I've wondered whether it's simply better to use the 247 rankings (if they're the most accurate), as opposed to the composite.  

If ESPN/Rivals are uninformed and really bad, are they simply dilutive to composite? 

That depends on which narrative aggy is trying to accomplish.

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Every service, but including 247, whiffs completely on some players every year. So there’s a plenty of value to the composite, not a dilution. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Every service, but including 247, whiffs completely on some players every year. So there’s a plenty of value to the composite, not a dilution. 

- didn't say they didn't whiff;  it was a relative statement about the services

- taking a mediocre set of ratings (247) and combining those with 2 others that are worse, wouldn't make the end product better

- if you believe that Rivals/ESPN's ratings are better - or that their inaccuracies consistently cancel out those of 247 - you're disagreeing with the premise of the contention

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- didn't say they didn't whiff;  it was a relative statement about the services

- taking a mediocre set of ratings (247) and combining those with 2 others that are worse, wouldn't make the end product better

- if you believe that Rivals/ESPN's ratings are better - or that their inaccuracies consistently cancel out those of 247 - you're disagreeing with the premise of the contention

I didn’t say you said claimed they never whiff.  I said they whiffed. And the point of me bringing it up was to point out even if one service is better, they make mistakes and many times the holes get somewhat plugged by other services. It happens. 

You didn’t offer up a premise. You literally asked a question. And I answered saying I didn’t think they were dilutive. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Maybe Collins missed the game?  Hopefully?

What are you talking about? A hard-fought, explosive victory over a conference rival who already boasts a huge victory over ACC opposition (yes I'm going full TexAgs it's the only way I can remember to breathe)

• Like 2