Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Link to your bookie please.

No one in their right mind would give Texas points in this matchup.

TCU fans are just as in the dumps as Texas fans right now. But with a worse record. Iowa State hung 49 on them and SMU hung 41. We're not exactly playing the TCU of a few years ago here.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

TCU fans are just as in the dumps as Texas fans right now. But with a worse record. Iowa State hung 49 on them and SMU hung 41. We're not exactly playing the TCU of a few years ago here.

Well, they should be optimistic this week with this guy leading our defense. 

nrw-ut-tulsa-football-22.jpg

8 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Quick reminder: when the “mouthbreathers” on the football board were correctly pointing Strong was a buffoon and was in way over his head, this board scoffed at the notion. This board hosted a “discussion” around Charlie remaining as figure head coach (For recruiting purposes, ostensibly) and relinquishing all other duties to other un-names coaches.

As a group, this board was the absolute last to accept what was patently obvious and had Kansas not happened, the majority of this board would still be advocating for Strong.

So let’s not pretend this little neck of the woods is a place for reasonable discussion.

And I’ll disagree with your “Orlando isn’t getting fired and the idea it will happen is laughable.” I think we lose at least 2 more and look hapless on D the rest of the way and too much pressure is applied for him to not make a change at DC.

To be clear, this ain’t that board ... and a few of us who post often on this board weren’t around at the time, and for good reason. If you think Sydney or I were anywhere within the vicinity of “Charlie Strong should stay on as figurehead” type of thinking, you’d be dead wrong, but I assume you were just thinking about the greater recruiting discussions back then. 

This all considered, I don’t understand why a bunch of intelligent guys, and most guys posting on here right now fit that for me, punish yourselves with attempting a dialogue on Sundays after games like the last few weeks. It’s hard for me to feel anything but complete malaise right now. 

When I am in Vegas this weekend, however, I am going to put out a bat signal for the sports book that @Tree Fidy was attempting to quote earlier. If Texas is getting points against this TCU team, well, fucking sign me up. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is Herman’s one shot to prove he’s capable of adapting to change and making hard choices about staff. It’s year 3, there’s substantial deficiencies all over, and changes need to be made. Will he make hard choices, Fire his buddies, and assemble a new staff? That will tell us the last thing we need to know about Herman  and whether he might be the guy. 

My money is resoundingly on No, for what it’s worth. But I’m hoping for Yes. 

On the plus side, if Herman does refuse to make some badly needed changes, at least it seems likely that he'll leave the program with some decent talent for his replacement.

To be clear, this ain’t that board ... and a few of us who post often on this board weren’t around at the time, and for good reason. If you think Sydney or I were anywhere within the vicinity of “Charlie Strong should stay on as figurehead” type of thinking, you’d be dead wrong, but I assume you were just thinking about the greater recruiting discussions back then. 
This all considered, I don’t understand why a bunch of intelligent guys, and most guys posting on here right now fit that for me, punish yourselves with attempting a dialogue on Sundays after games like the last few weeks. It’s hard for me to feel anything but complete malaise right now. 
When I am in Vegas this weekend, however, I am going to put out a bat signal for the sports book that [mention=805]Tree Fidy[/mention] was attempting to quote earlier. If Texas is getting points against this TCU team, well, fucking sign me up. 

For the love of God, please let me fail in peace. I am admittedly drunk after that shit show.

21 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Well if he doesn’t fire him now we are about to go 8-4/7-5 and there will be a lot of people pressuring Herman to do it at the end of the season. Iowa State, Baylor and Tech are going to do unspeakable things to our defense. He is either going to fire him or force him to play a four DL front and abandon the gimmick alignment and blitzes. Which is more likely? 

Rest of Schedule and Offensive FEI rankings (as of Week 7/Oct 15th)

• TCU - 42
  • Kansas State - 75
  • Iowa State - 6 (!!!)
  • Baylor - 11
  • Texas Tech - 70

vs teams already played

• Spoiler

• La Tech - 63
    • LSU - 2
    • Rice - 117
    • Oklahoma State - 21
    • OU - 3
    • Kansas - 84

21 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Quick reminder: when the “mouthbreathers” on the football board were correctly pointing Strong was a buffoon and was in way over his head, this board scoffed at the notion. This board hosted a “discussion” around Charlie remaining as figure head coach (For recruiting purposes, ostensibly) and relinquishing all other duties to other un-names coaches.

As a group, this board was the absolute last to accept what was patently obvious and had Kansas not happened, the majority of this board would still be advocating for Strong.

So let’s not pretend this little neck of the woods is a place for reasonable discussion.

And I’ll disagree with your “Orlando isn’t getting fired and the idea it will happen is laughable.” I think we lose at least 2 more and look hapless on D the rest of the way and too much pressure is applied for him to not make a change at DC.

the recruiting board is so much better of a place for reasonable discussion than the football board (who knee jerks about literally everything, and always has - which you know since you have been around a while)

if you want to base your thoughts on all things Texas football based on the wild mood swings of those folks over at the football board GLWT - but you are going to have a bad time and be surrounded by people who over react about everything and think that the best measuring stick for how a coordinator/player/team is doing are yards allowed and gained per game, that there is always a better option or player out there (how many of them wanted to stick with Shane over Sam?), and are 100% certain they are right

...until next week when they see something else shiny that catches their attention.

is the football board terrible and without value? no way - good discussion does sometimes happen there. but they have a thread currently at the top of the board there titled "This offense sucks and there's no excuse" started by a guy with 2000 posts here

Spoiler alert...

Spoiler

the Texas offense isn't the problem. advance stats tell us this (OFEI #6 offense), basic traditional stats tell us this (averaging 40.8 points per game, most they have averaged in the last 10 years), etc - despite the fact they have been as thin as they have in the last 5+ years at RB due to injuries, etc

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Careful, though. They changed his position last update to APB so they could make him #1 and not have him jump Evans and McClellan. Also, Ty Jordan is not an apb, but a rb on Rivals.

Well, in his blurb he mentioned preferring Bijan to Evans, and others. 

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Intel on Houston underclassmen, OV recap

As the Longhorns head down the stretch in the 2020 class, they will look to finish by optimizing every position on the board. Texas hosted two important targets over the weekend in Bastrop Cedar Creek defensive lineman Alfred Collins and Midland Lee wide receiver Loic Fouonji. Horns247 caught up with sources near those recruitments to check in on how the visits went and where Texas stands coming out of the weekend. Despite a nearly disastrous loss to Kansas, the Longhorns are still cooking on the recruiting trail.

With 2020 nearly in the books, the Texas staff is ramping up for another surge in their already impressive 2021 group. Their current 2021 class ranks No. 2 in the country, according to 247Sports. I spent the weekend in Houston seeing a number of underclassmen and gathering intel on their recruitments. During that time, I was able to catch up with numerous sources and speak to players in person. In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly recruiting insider article, we update you on several important Houston targets and one big name in D-FW.

I talked to a few folks about 2021 Katy Taylor offensive lineman Bryce Foster while I was in Houston. It seems like this is shaping up to be a three-team race for the coveted guard prospect. Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma were the schools mentioned most to me, and Oregon was a childhood favorite for him. I was told that Foster would prefer to stay closer to home, but it’s not necessarily a deal breaker. Foster has been recruited for quite a while, and I get the sense that he’s tiring of the process. Texas A&M has the natural advantages since Katy is a very pro-Aggie area and his mother went to school there. That said, don’t count out Herb Hand, Hayden Conner, and Jalen Milroe.

Texas is hanging in the race for Katy Tompkins defensive end Tunmise Adeleye, but it’s going to be a tough fight to win him over. Adeleye really talked up Oklahoma and Alex Grinch’s new look defense, and he said the Sooners are pushing for him the hardest right now. Ohio State, LSU, Texas A&M, and Alabama will also be a factor in the decision and Texas is fighting against a common refrain. Adeleye doesn’t want to play in a three-man front at the 4i position, and that’s the way he feels Texas views him right now. He did say that Jalen Milroe is on him each and every day, and Texas is pitching their academics and Austin more than anything right now. Still, it’s hard to say that Texas is in a good position right now. While they are in his top schools, I’d put them near the back of the pack.

A name I heard a ton of while in Houston was Bellaire Episcopal offensive lineman Donovan Jackson. There is a lot of buzz around Jackson and Texas right now, and that buzz is tough to ignore when it’s coming from so many different sources. I do think that Texas is in a much better position than they were before this summer, but I feel this one will still play out at least through the spring. Jackson wants to take advantage of the recruiting process and the official visits he has coming to him next year. I’d expect Jackson to take his visits during the spring and make a decision before his senior season. Based on what I’ve heard, I’d handicap Texas in the lead right now, but a full slate of official visits could change the picture greatly. For that reason, I’ve decided to hold off placing a crystal ball pick.

2022 Southlake Carroll quarterback Quinn Ewers isn’t answering any recruiting questions right now. As a young starter at a historic Texas high school program, Ewers is focused on being the best teammate and leader possible. I was able to speak to a few sources close to Ewers and the Southlake program, and the vibe is Texas is definitely near the top of the list if not the top for the talented sophomore. His family is full of Longhorn fans, and Ewers isn’t shy about his affinity for the in-state program.  Texas A&M is also standing out to him and he has a trip scheduled to Alabama this week, but I think Texas is in a very comfortable position right now.  I was told that Ewers is in contact with Texas as often as he is allowed to be, and he was at the Red River Showdown in Dallas.  Ewers really wants to decide sometime during his junior year, but I was told that a commitment could come sooner.

2020 Texas commit Andrej Karic said after his game that other schools are still coming after him, but he is locked into his Texas commitment. Karic is really starting to mature physically and is probably around 270-275 pounds right now. Athletically he’s still moving at a high level for his size, and I think he has the best upside of any player in the Texas class. I would expect to see his ranking rise by the end of the cycle.

The official visit for Midland Lee wide receiver Loic Fouonji is still ongoing and will wrap up later today. Fouonji obviously saw some offensive fireworks from Texas, and despite a close game against Kansas, I was told the visit is going well. One thing Texas is battling is a loaded depth chart at wide receiver while Texas Tech and the other schools recruiting him can sell and easier path to playing time. The “z” position currently has sophomore Brennan Eagles firmly entrenched, while players like Kennedy Lewis, Marcus Washington, and Al’Vonte Woodard wait in the wings. We’ll work on catching up with Fouonji sometime this week for an update.

I’m told the official visit for Bastrop Cedar Creek defensive lineman Alfred Collins was going as successful as it could have been. Collins has been to Texas more than any other campus this year, and his level of comfort with the Longhorn staff is high. Like Fouonji, Collins is still on his official visit which will wrap up later today. Collins plays everything close to the vest and doesn’t usually show a ton of excitement when it comes to anything in his recruitment, but sources tell Horns247 that Texas is still in a very strong position for the four-star prospect.

There is still some uncertainty surrounding when he might announce.  Collins indicated that an announcement could come following his visits, but I’ve heard talk he might announce in January.  Whatever the case, I think Texas still holds the inside track, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him show up for more unofficial visits this season.  If Texas can lock down Collins, they will have pulled off a clean sweep of the top defensive linemen in the state and put together one of the strongest DL groups in the country.

After spending time in Houston, it's easy to see why Jalen Milroe is such a special prospect. His skills on the field speak for themselves, but Milroe has a charisma not often found in high school players. He carries himself like a man in his late twenties, and that attitude bleeds over into everything he does. He's a rockstar within his school and community, and kids line up to take pictures with him after the game. He gladly obliges and interacts with each one as if they are his best friend in the world. When talking to other prospects in the area about Milroe, they beam about his leadership and relatable nature. We will have an interview this week with Milroe on The State of Recruiting that will give you a great glimpse into his character, so look for that mid-week.

• Like 2

(InsideTexas) The Inside Scoop, Part I - 10/21/19

This week's Scoop will be a two-part series. Today, we'll discuss Alfred Collins and Loic Founoji official visit news, and catch up with a handful of Texas commits who are heading to the playoffs in a few weeks. The Inside Scoop - Part I for your Monday consumption. Part II later this evening or Tuesday AM.

Just past the midway point in the 2019 college season, Texas is holding steady with one of the top 5-10 classes in 2020. We're a couple weeks from the high school playoffs, in which a lot of UT's class will be participants. In the meantime, let's cover a few of the remaining targets for 2020 first.

On Alfred Collins... One of the few top targets remaining on UT's big board, the 6-foot-6, 285-pound defensive stalwart recently took officials to OU, Alabama, and Texas A&M. He saved his best for last and took his OV to Austin this weekend. Now, he's still on campus and will complete his visit this afternoon. We don't contact kids during their officials, but multiple sources have indicated what we've been saying since last summer; Texas looks great here. There was some scuttle that Oklahoma was making hay in this pursuit, but as of today I think it's safe to say Texas is the team to beat here. His timeline will be the next data point. We've heard a few weeks, we've heard at the All American Bowl. All that matters is that UT is still the silent leader and we'll continue to monitor his final few months before NSD1.

On Loic Fouonji, the 6-foot-4 Midland Lee star receiver is also still on his official. I'm hearing Texas put its best foot forward this weekend, but it remains to be seen if they can make up ground on Texas Tech, who may be his soft leader. Texas likes him at Z, but that's a spot with a lot of young talent currently on the roster - Eagles, Lewis, and Woodard. Even Marcus Washington has reps at X and Z positions. We'll have more once his visit concludes, but right now, I'm just unsure which way this goes.

On Prince Dorbah… The four-star OLB has put together a solid senior season and is looking to finish his HS career at Highland Park with a fourth straight state title. The 6-foot-2.5, 210-pounder has accumulated over 200 tackles, 60 tackles for loss, and 35 sacks entering his final stanza of HS ball. "I love the challenge," said Dorbah, about his four-peat aspirations. "It's good for our team. We're still hungry." For his 15th ranked Texas Longhorns, Dorbah is still all UT. "I love Texas no matter where we're ranked," Dorbah said. "That's my school."

On Xavion Alford... The four-star safety from Shadow Creek (Alvin) is looking for a return to the state championship. After last year's loss to Dorbah and the Highland Park Scots, Alford would like another trip to Arlington in December. At 6-foot, 185 pounds, 4.5 (40), 4.4 (shuttle) and almost 36" vertical, Alford's best traits are between the ears. He's very football savvy and can reads offenses like old folks read newspapers. After 20-pass break ups and six INTs in 2018, he's still hungry for more. He was on campus this weekend. "It's always great to be back home," said Alford. "I want to be ready if (Texas) calls my number next fall. My goal is to be a freshman All-American." Any predictions on Shadow Creek's postseason run? "We're going to win state." Confidence was never a problem for this future landlord of the UT secondary.

On Princely Umanmielen…. The big man from down the road in Manor is having an impressive senior campaign. At 6-foot-4, 255 pounds, Princely was in attendance for the Texas-KU slugfest on Saturday. He, like many fans, were on the edge of their seat in DKR this weekend. "It was a lot of fun," Umanmielen said. "But the game was stressful. I'm just glad we won," The four-star destined for the 4i in UT's defense stays in close touch with his fellow #cloUT2020 members. Prince, Xavion, Hudson, Logan, Alfred, and Vernon were names he listed. There’s one more member of that group message that isn’t a Texas commit. Kelee Ringo, five-star from Saguaro (AZ) coming off an official to Oregon recently, still texts with this group. I like that nugget.

On River Gordon.... Before you ask who this is, he's a 6-foot-4, 285-pound junior offensive lineman from Mansfield. As if the in-state crop of OL isn't stacked enough, add Gordon to the list. The 2021 up-and-comer was at DKR on Saturday to take in the festivities. “It was a great experience," said Gordon. "Coach Hand and all the coaches treated us awesome and I look forward to coming back in the spring." Right now only OU, Oklahoma State, and Nevada are involved in his pursuit of the 16-year old prospect. "I was at OU a few weeks ago," Gordon said. "They really like me. I'll be at Oklahoma State on November 2nd. Last spring, I visited OU, OSU, TCU, Tulsa, and SMU." The recruiting process is beginning to play out for the under-the-radar big man. "It's been a fun experience so far," said Gordon. "I have to little brothers, and they get to come with me. (Cade Gordon is a 2023 QB that Mansfield is very high on) Gordon is just another name to remember as UT looks to build on its 2021 class, currently ranked No.2 in the nation (247).

• Like 1