Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The only silver lining of Orlando being a negligent recruiter is that we shouldn’t feel any pain in recruiting when we get rid of him.  The next DC is going to be completely puzzled about our LB recruiting the last few years, though.

"The best MLB is a first-year 3-star JUCO from Newark you flipped from Minnesota after NSD? Where are all the blue chips???"

• Like 1

This is Herman’s one shot to prove he’s capable of adapting to change and making hard choices about staff. It’s year 3, there’s substantial deficiencies all over, and changes need to be made. Will he make hard choices, Fire his buddies, and assemble a new staff? That will tell us the last thing we need to know about Herman  and whether he might be the guy. 

My money is resoundingly on No, for what it’s worth. But I’m hoping for Yes. 

• Like 1

Herman has called Orlando the best or one of the best and smartest DCs in the game as recently as this season in press conferences. I dont see Herman doing an about face and firing Orlando. Additionally, even if he did, I don’t think I trust Herman to go out and find the right kind of hire. Look at what’s broken on staff already. And we think he’s going to sniff out the right candidate this program needs? 

The Big 12 championship is 12/7. The early signing day is 12/18. This is going to become a very shaky two months. Herman has to either fire him now or do it on 12/8. If he tries to roll through the 12/18 signing day without firing him, I don’t think that will work.

What helps recruiting the most or hurts it the least? Firing him now and going interim for the rest of the year, or riding it out and making a quick hire/announcement as soon as the Big 12 championship is over? Even if he knows who he’s hiring, which I doubt, he can’t tell recruits who it is. So, my guess is he spends from now until 12/7 finding the guy and announces 12/8, giving 10 days to calm down recruits.

Or, he just keeps on trucking with Tony Orlando and 2020 is uglier.

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The Big 12 championship is 12/7. The early signing day is 12/18. This is going to become a very shaky two months. Herman has to either fire him now or do it on 12/8. If he tries to roll through the 12/18 signing day without firing him, I don’t think that will work.

What helps recruiting the most or hurts it the least? Firing him now and going interim for the rest of the year, or riding it out and making a quick hire/announcement as soon as the Big 12 championship is over? Even if he knows who he’s hiring, which I doubt, he can’t tell recruits who it is. So, my guess is he spends from now until 12/7 finding the guy and announces 12/8, giving 10 days to calm down recruits.

Not sure why you’re worried about 12/8. Our regular season will conclude on 11/29. 

22 hours ago, texifornia said:

Bet Kelvontay's having fun

Be careful throwing stones. We are about to fire our defensive coordinator for putting the worst product on the field in school history. There are probably several players that are very frustrated being on our defense right now not to mention I hope the fallout does not cost us any 2020 recruits. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Let's pretend for a minute that tom has a moment of clarity and decides to fire and hire. Who realistically is an option at DC? CB? Wr? 

While we’re pretending, can we pretend that this thread is for discussing recruiting? Maybe we also pretend that there is an actual forum and thread where there are tons of people discussing our beleaguered DC and who might replace him if Herman had the stones to admit that he got something wrong.

Talk about a fantasy.
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We aren’t about to fire shit. It’s like some of you folks haven’t been watching Herman operate for 3 years. Orlando is one of the smartest guys in the game and we’re young AND been plagued by injuries. Don’t do this to yourselves. 

Well if he doesn’t fire him now we are about to go 8-4/7-5 and there will be a lot of people pressuring Herman to do it at the end of the season. Iowa State, Baylor and Tech are going to do unspeakable things to our defense. He is either going to fire him or force him to play a four DL front and abandon the gimmick alignment and blitzes. Which is more likely? 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I'm afraid he's already found the potential replacement.  And he's on staff as an analyst currently.....

9 minutes ago, RichUT said:

While we’re pretending, can we pretend that this thread is for discussing recruiting? Maybe we also pretend that there is an actual forum and thread where there are tons of people discussing our beleaguered DC and who might replace him if Herman had the stones to admit that he got something wrong.

Talk about a fantasy.

Yeah I have no idea why people seem to think that coaches and their schemes and performance  have anything to do with recruiting.  I am waiting to hear from roach how he is almost thinking about maybe feeling good about a recruit.

15 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Well if he doesn’t fire him now we are about to go 8-4/7-5 and there will be a lot of people pressuring Herman to do it at the end of the season. Iowa State, Baylor and Tech are going to do unspeakable things to our defense. He is either going to fire him or force him to play a four DL front and abandon the gimmick alignment and blitzes. Which is more likely? 

That’s some Satya level pussy rubbing right there dude. Our defense sucks shit through a straw but let’s not pretend that those 3 teams have better offenses than LSU and OU. We get some turnovers and suck less on offense and playcalling on 4th down and they’re all winnable games in shootouts.

But to answer your question, it’s neither. No matter how bad you want it and stamp your feet and threaten to hold your breath: he’s not going to force him to play a 4 man front and abandon the blitz, nor is he going to fire him, much less mid season. That is as false a choice as I’ve ever seen. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Talk about a fantasy.

Counterpoint: the football board is teeming with mouth breathing waterheads and anything that happens there isn’t really a discussion. 

• Like 6

Yeah I have no idea why people seem to think that coaches and their schemes and performance  have anything to do with recruiting.  I am waiting to hear from roach how he is almost thinking about maybe feeling good about a recruit.

Through that lens, you could justify talking about anything and everything related to the program in this thread and justify it by saying it impacts recruiting. Which....is exactly what is happening already and explains why this thread is such a shit show.

Carry on.

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

That’s some Satya level pussy rubbing right there dude. Our defense sucks shit through a straw but let’s not pretend that those 3 teams have better offenses than LSU and OU. We get some turnovers and suck less on offense and playcalling on 4th down and they’re all winnable games in shootouts.

But to answer your question, it’s neither. No matter how bad you want it and stamp your feet and threaten to hold your breath: he’s not going to force him to play a 4 man front and abandon the blitz, nor is he going to fire him, much less mid season. That is a false a choice as I’ve ever seen. 

We scored 50 points and had over 650 years of offense. Sam had one turnover and that almost cost us the game. This wasn’t LSU, this was fucking 2-5 Kansas. Our offensive efficiency isn’t likely to get better and the caliber of offenses we are about to play only gets better. Given the trend our defense is on, it’s not unreasonable at all to expect some losses unless something drastic changes. After watching Baylor I have no idea how we can win that game. I would also expect us to drop one of Iowa State or Tech given the recent trend which puts us at 8-4. I do not think that is unreasonable after watching us nealry lose at home to Kansas. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Newy25 said:

We scored 50 points and had over 650 years of offense. Sam had one turnover and that almost cost us the game. This wasn’t LSU, this was fucking 2-5 Kansas. Our offensive efficiency isn’t likely to get better and the caliber of offenses we are about to play only gets better. Given the trend our defense is on, it’s not unreasonable at all to expect some losses unless something drastic changes. After watching Baylor I have no idea how we can win that game. I would also expect us to drop one of Iowa State or Tech given the recent trend which puts us at 8-4. I do not think that is unreasonable after watching us nealry lose at home to Kansas. 

You see, THIS close game against an inferior team means that Herman is finally going to get blown out by good teams.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Counterpoint: the football board is teeming with mouth breathing waterheads and anything that happens there isn’t really a discussion. 

Quick reminder: when the “mouthbreathers” on the football board were correctly pointing Strong was a buffoon and was in way over his head, this board scoffed at the notion. This board hosted a “discussion” around Charlie remaining as figure head coach (For recruiting purposes, ostensibly) and relinquishing all other duties to other un-names coaches.

As a group, this board was the absolute last to accept what was patently obvious and had Kansas not happened, the majority of this board would still be advocating for Strong.

So let’s not pretend this little neck of the woods is a place for reasonable discussion.

And I’ll disagree with your “Orlando isn’t getting fired and the idea it will happen is laughable.” I think we lose at least 2 more and look hapless on D the rest of the way and too much pressure is applied for him to not make a change at DC.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hard Times said:

Or they could see a lot of opportunity for early PT.

the grinch approach?  bold. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

"The best MLB is a first-year 3-star JUCO from Newark you flipped from Minnesota after NSD? Where are all the blue chips???"

suffering from spinal stenosis?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

None of it is theoretically unreasonable, but nor is it a certainty. And trends aren’t guaranteed to continue in the same direction otherwise Longhoooooorn Nation we’d be baaaaaaaaaaack. 

We sucked against Kansas. The upcoming slate of offenses are also inferior to the ones we’ve already faced in games that were close in the final score. Get some red zone stops and turnovers, which before last night we’ve consistently done, and they’re winnable games. 

Citing our points and total yards last night as proof of offensive efficiency and perfection without the context of the plays and Poor decisions within the game itself  is like looking at the final score of the OU game and saying we didn’t get our fucking asses handed to us. Come on man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

if you'd like to discuss the coaches without any relation to a particular recruit, feel free to start a "coaches and recruiting" thread. This thread is about 2020 recruiting.

ok for this thread:
"recruit x said y about coach z"

not ok for this thread:
"omg we're going to lose all of our recruits because coach z sucks"
or
"herman needs to do x,y and z with staff"

Awesome.  This thread has turned into safe space for the recruitnics to talk football without sullying themselves with the unwashed waterheads on the football board.  Come wrestle in the muck snowflakes.  

• Like 1

if you'd like to discuss the coaches without any relation to a particular recruit, feel free to start a "coaches and recruiting" thread. This thread is about 2020 recruiting.
ok for this thread:
"recruit x said y about coach z"
not ok for this thread:
"omg we're going to lose all of our recruits because coach z sucks"
or
"herman needs to do x,y and z with staff"

We need a pick-me-up Blacklab. It’s time to release the full recording of the phone conversation with the Hammster.
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Awesome.  This thread has turned into safe space for the recruitnics to talk football without sullying themselves with the unwashed waterheads on the football board.  Come wrestle in the muck snowflakes.  

Nothing says "I constantly say dumb shit that other people correctly call me on" like calling other people snowflakes.

Anyway, recruiting-wise:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Actually the next two offenses Texas plays are two of the worst in conference.

KSU has scored 13, 12, and 24 in conference games.

TCU had a big game against KU, but have scored 24 and 17 in the other 2 games.

36 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Actually the next two offenses Texas plays are two of the worst in conference.

KSU has scored 13, 12, and 24 in conference games.

TCU had a big game against KU, but have scored 24 and 17 in the other 2 games.

I suppose that's comparable to scoring 7 against Coastal Carolina. Anyway,

Clint Buckley: How Texas commits fared over the weekend

Bijan Robinson, RB, Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic — Robinson ran 12 times for 263 yards and four touchdowns, and caught two passes for 49 yards in Salpointe’s 35-0 shutout of Tucson Canyon del Oro. Salpointe plays at Tucson Catalina Foothills on Friday.
    Ja'Quinden Jackson, ATH, Duncanville — Jackson was 7 of 14 passing for 66 yards, and ran seven times for 57 yards and a touchdown in Duncanville’s 39-7 win over Richardson Pearce. Duncanville plays at Dallas W.T. White on Thursday.
    Quentin Johnston, WR, Temple — Johnston hauled in a 54-yard touchdown reception in Temple’s 64-38 win over Killeen Ellison. Temple plays host to Waco on Friday.
    Vernon Broughton, DT, Cypress Ridge — Cypress Ridge cruised to a 45-0 shutout of Houston Northbrook. There were defensive stats available for Broughton. Cy Ridge plays at Houston Memorial on Friday.
    Prince Dorbah, OLB, Highland Park — Highland Park cruised to a 56-6 rout of Dallas Samuell. There were no defensive stats available for Dorbah, but Highland Park limited Samuell to 141 yards of offense. Highland Park plays host to Dallas Sunset on Friday.
    Xavion Alford, S, Alvin Shadow Creek — Shadow Creek remained unbeaten with an easy 51-6 win over Friendswood. There were no stats recorded for Alford, but Shadow Creek held Friendswood to 181 yards of offense. Shadow Creek plays at Richmond Foster on Thursday.
    Jake Majors, C, Prosper — Prosper took a 29-3 win over McKinney Boyd. There were no individual stats available for Majors, but Prosper managed to roll up 418 yards of offense. Prosper plays at Plano West on Friday.
    Kitan Crawford, CB, John Tyler — John Tyler was off last week, and it returns to action Thursday at McKinney North.
    Troy Omeire, WR, Fort Bend Austin — Omeire caught four passes for 74 yards and two touchdowns, and ran three times for 20 yards and a touchdown in Austin’s 44-21 win over Fort Bend Clements. Austin plays at Fort Bend Kempner on Thursday.
    Jerrin Thompson, S, Lufkin — Lufkin rolled to a 55-22 win over Tomball. There were no stats available for Thompson. Lufkin plays host to Magnolia West on Friday.
    Princely Umanmielen, DE, Manor — Manor picked up a 50-35 win over Pflugerville Connally. There were defensive stats recorded for Umanmielen. Manor plays at Georgetown on Friday.
    Logan Parr, OG, San Antonio O’Connor — O’Connor earned a 37-19 win over San Antonio Marshall. There were no individual stats available for Parr, but O’Connor managed 351 yards of offense. O’Connor plays at San Antonio Clark on Friday.
    Joshua Eaton, CB, Aldine MacArthur — MacArthur dropped a 49-6 decision to Spring Westfield. There were no defensive stats available, but Eaton managed a 7-yard reception on offense. MacArthur plays host to Aldine Nimitz on Thursday.
    Van Fillinger, DE, Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon — Fillinger recorded four tackles in Corner Canyon’s 59-28 win over American Fork (Utah). Corner Canyon’s next opponent will be in the state playoffs against an undetermined opponent.
    Ty Jordan, RB, West Mesquite — Jordan ran 14 times for 137 yards and a touchdown, and caught eight passes for 75 yards in West Mesquite’s 56-34 loss to McKinney North. West Mesquite plays at Mesquite Poteet on Friday.
    Andrej Karic, OT, Southlake Carroll — Carroll rolled to a 62-7 rout of Keller Fossil Ridge. There were individual stats available for Karic, but Carroll managed 466 yards of offense. Carroll plays host to Keller Central on Friday.
    Jaden Hullaby, ATH, Mansfield Timberview — Hullaby combined for 182 yards of offense and scored three touchdowns in Timberview’s 84-0 rout of Dallas Sunset. Timberview plays host to Lancaster on Friday.

Ja'Tavion Sanders, ATH, Denton Ryan — Ryan recorded a 62-6 win over Carrollton Creekview. There were no stats available for Sanders. Ryan plays host to Carrollton Turner on Thursday.
    Jalen Milroe, QB, Katy Tompkins — Milroe was 12 of 21 passing for 166 yards with two touchdowns and an interception, and ran five times for 46 yards in Tompkins’ 29-16 win over Katy Morton Ranch. Tompkins plays at Katy Taylor on Friday.
    Quaydarius Davis, WR, Dallas Skyline — Davis caught six passes for 71 yards and a touchdown in Skyline’s 29-9 win over Richardson. Skyline plays host to Dallas Molina on Thursday.
    Billy Bowman, ATH, Denton Ryan — Bowman caught two passes for 103 yards and a touchdown in Ryan’s 62-6 rout of Carrollton Creekview. Ryan plays host to Carrollton Turner on Thursday.
    Hayden Conner, OT, Katy Taylor — Taylor dropped a 14-10 decision to Katy Mayde Creek. There were no individual stats available for Conner as Taylor managed 220 yards of offense. Taylor plays to Katy Tompkins on Friday.
    Derrick Harris Jr., OLB, New Caney — New Caney rolled to a 41-0 win over Humble Kingwood Park. There were no defensive stats available for Harris, but New Caney limited Kingwood Park to 184 yards of offense. New Caney plays host to Houston Austin on Friday.
    Juan Davis, ATH, Everman — Davis was 2 of 3 passing for 43 yards and a touchdown, and ran 15 times for 127 yards and two touchdowns in Everman’s 45-28 win over Burleson. Everman plays at Cleburne on Friday.

NOTE: Hudson Card, Jaylen Garth, Ethan Pouncey, and Lake McRee are injured

• Like 1