Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Impressive. Well done. Amateur hour-level shit, but better than what the rest of us have attempted since the great cheese please saga of summer 2019. 

Also, you know poets have one of the highest suicide rates of all professions, so stick with whatever your day job is. Probably walking around bothering people and such.

office no GIF

• Like 2

Roach / 247 on Collins' official.

Couple of points from the article.  The second may be Roach's way of indicating that his confidence is very high, without saying it explicitly.

- “I don’t plan on taking any other official visits.”

- Collins said many times that he’s just looking for a place to feel comfortable. Collins said his comfort level and with the Longhorns is high.

Spoiler

Four-star DL Alfred Collins gives Texas OV high marks

Alfred Collins has been to Texas as many times as a prospect could in a one-year period. The four-star defensive lineman from Bastrop Cedar Creek took advantage of the proximity to Austin to make unofficial visits on many occasions. Last weekend, Collins stepped on campus as an official visitor, and he told Horns247 that the visit went well and he enjoyed his time with members of the team and staff.

“It was great,” Collins said. “I had a good time hanging with the team and the coaching staff.”

Collins was hosted by another small-town defensive lineman with great size. His visit allowed him to take a full tour of the campus and see the dorms where the players live once they enroll.

“I was hosted by T’Vondre Sweat,” he said. “He and the coaches took me around campus for the first time and I saw where I would live if I went to school there.”

Texas was the fourth official visit for Collins. He’d previously been to Alabama, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. With one official left in his pocket, Collins said that he’s done taking trips.

“I don’t plan on taking any other official visits.”

Collins said many times that he’s just looking for a place to feel comfortable. Collins said his comfort level and with the Longhorns is high.

“The family vibe and atmosphere is what sticks out about Texas,” he said.

Collins said he’s not decided on when he will make his commitment. With his official visits out of the way, that decision could come soon.

At 6-foot-5, 275 pounds, Collins is ranked as the No. 8 strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 21 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

That meme is kind of cheesy. 

I won't melt if we lose someone and that for Texas he just was nacho man. At the very least, the guy wasn't sharp. We'll be gouda either way. In fact, I think we'll be grate. And that spread against TCU is just a stupid curd.

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm sure he loved watching our best pass rusher dropped into coverage on every passing down.

Exactly, the way we play a 3 man front is not compatible with recruiting great pass rushing lineman. There is no roster imbalance that would stop us from going to a 4 down line and I pray to god that the next dc does. Frankly, our lb situation improves if we do.

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Exactly, the way we play a 3 man front is not compatible with recruiting great pass rushing lineman. There is no roster imbalance that would stop us from going to a 4 down line and I pray to god that the next dc does. Frankly, our lb situation improves if we do.

Screw the next DC - we need to be in an even front this week (and not for recruiting purposes - though for the purpose of this post, sure, lets say its recruiting based).  Ossai needs to be wreaking havoc in the backfield all game long against TCU.  

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I'm not one to defend Orlando or his scheme but Omenihu managed to get the passer pretty damn consistently last year.    Scheme shit aside, it appears we flat out don't have an above average pass rushing linemen on the roster.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, it's our two flakiest commits, and both were 3rd best at their positions in the class.

They're probably better than whatever we replace them with, but it's hardly the worst thing ever.

Unless Dixon is the replacement for Eaton as a DB. I'd take Dixon any time on that one. They are the two biggest projects in the class. I'm just here for the inevitable Tunmise trolling. 

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Screw the next DC - we need to be in an even front this week (and not for recruiting purposes - though for the purpose of this post, sure, lets say its recruiting based).  Ossai needs to be wreaking havoc in the backfield all game long against TCU.  

I compared Ossai's listed meaurables to Chase Young - he's an inch shorter and 5lbs heavier. Why we have him chasing in space is beyond me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

I'm not one to defend Orlando or his scheme but Omenihu managed to get the passer pretty damn consistently last year.    Scheme shit aside, it appears we flat out don't have an above average pass rushing linemen on the roster.

Omenihu is a traditional odd front DE.  He's 6'6", long-armed, and 290 pounds.  Ossai is a 6'4" 250 rush end.  Stop dropping him and let him get after the passer.  We wouldn't need to blitz every damn down if Orlando would let his best pass rusher get after it.

3 vs 4 down is irrelevant. It's about utilizing guys correctly. Ossai and the DL have been set up to fail in passing situations.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Coburn is pretty disruptive at nose. He often commands double teams.l to neutralize that. The bit about his impact not being in the box score is coach sprak but it's true. He's not Poona Ford but he's one of the few consistent plus players on D.

That gives you 1 on 1s for three other guys. There's one other guy who consistently wins those matchups - Ossai - but they defy logic to have him run up the seam with CeeDee Lamb while letting the DBs take turns running into OL.

Roach and Graham are fine at that they're asked to do in the run game but I'd like to see more of Bimage and Jones on passing third downs, especially in place of Graham. Roach at least has some rushing instinct and skill but just plays at a heavier than ideal weight. Jones in particular was noted as being a strong pass rusher in his juco recruitment but we haven't seen much of him. One of Ossai, Roach, Bimage, or Jones is capable of getting pressure in 1 on 1 situations on most passing downs. It isn't rocket science.

With Coburn commanding two blockers Texas should be able to get away with rushing four if Ossai is also included. Blitz an extra LB or box safety on a delay to attack wherever an opening forms if you really want them to feel it. Somehow they've found ways to fail to get pressure rushing five or six because there's no method to the pressure packages.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I compared Ossai's listed meaurables to Chase Young - he's an inch shorter and 5lbs heavier. Why we have him chasing in space is beyond me.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/roster/chase-young/

https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9192

I like Ossai getting after the passer as well. But idk where you're getting that he's heavier than Chase Young

Just now, TommyGufano said:

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/roster/chase-young/

https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9192

I like Ossai getting after the passer as well. But idk where you're getting that he's heavier than Chase Young

Ah, being the recruiting thread I used their current 247 profiles. Poor choice by me.

I got negged by like ten of you for saying he was probably going to de-commit after the OU debacle. He won't be the last one. The only defensive recruits I consider 100% solid are Crawford, Thompson, Alford, and possibly Broughton. This defense is broke and Herman didn't help himself by stating "stats don't matter for dlinemen" multiple times during press conferences over the last few weeks. 

CDC/Herman should get a consultant in here during the bye, then give Jimmy Lake $2M/yr to come in here and restore DBU.

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Getafix said:

Roach / 247 on Collins' official.

Couple of points from the article.  The second may be Roach's way of indicating that his confidence is very high, without saying it explicitly.

- “I don’t plan on taking any other official visits.”

- Collins said many times that he’s just looking for a place to feel comfortable. Collins said his comfort level and with the Longhorns is high.

Reveal hidden contents

Four-star DL Alfred Collins gives Texas OV high marks

Alfred Collins has been to Texas as many times as a prospect could in a one-year period. The four-star defensive lineman from Bastrop Cedar Creek took advantage of the proximity to Austin to make unofficial visits on many occasions. Last weekend, Collins stepped on campus as an official visitor, and he told Horns247 that the visit went well and he enjoyed his time with members of the team and staff.

“It was great,” Collins said. “I had a good time hanging with the team and the coaching staff.”

Collins was hosted by another small-town defensive lineman with great size. His visit allowed him to take a full tour of the campus and see the dorms where the players live once they enroll.

“I was hosted by T’Vondre Sweat,” he said. “He and the coaches took me around campus for the first time and I saw where I would live if I went to school there.”

Texas was the fourth official visit for Collins. He’d previously been to Alabama, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. With one official left in his pocket, Collins said that he’s done taking trips.

“I don’t plan on taking any other official visits.”

Collins said many times that he’s just looking for a place to feel comfortable. Collins said his comfort level and with the Longhorns is high.

“The family vibe and atmosphere is what sticks out about Texas,” he said.

Collins said he’s not decided on when he will make his commitment. With his official visits out of the way, that decision could come soon.

At 6-foot-5, 275 pounds, Collins is ranked as the No. 8 strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 21 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

Eric Nahlin is apparently "a little more concerned about Collins now" in the wake of today's events. Wonder how tight he and Princely are.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Eric Nahlin is apparently "a little more concerned about Collins now" in the wake of today's events. Wonder how tight he and Princely are.

Hmm .... 

In the thread that followed from Roach's post, he added this comment - "I still feel confident in Texas here".  It wasn't in response to a specific question, so sounds like Roach is feeling good.  Given how hesitant he is about saying anything definitive, that's a positive sign.  He may even have gotten something off the record from Collins (just my guess).

Perroni/247 on Princely.

Spoiler

I just posted this in a reply on the Auburn board, but this is something I've heard on Princely today and two schools mentioned were Auburn and A&M.

"His concerns over Texas from the beginning were the three-man front they run most of the time. They alleviated those concerns enough over the summer to get a commitment, but they reared up again. He wants a defense that uses bigger ends in a 4-man front. Both Auburn and Texas A&M do that. I'm not sure how hard A&M will re-engage him with spots at a premium."

29 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I got negged by like ten of you for saying he was probably going to de-commit after the OU debacle. He won't be the last one. The only defensive recruits I consider 100% solid are Crawford, Thompson, Alford, and possibly Broughton. This defense is broke and Herman didn't help himself by stating "stats don't matter for dlinemen" multiple times during press conferences over the last few weeks. 

CDC/Herman should get a consultant in here during the bye, then give Jimmy Lake $2M/yr to come in here and restore DBU.

The issue was not the content, it was the source.

• Like 1