Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

39 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Playing time?!  I don't have the stats, but my eyes tell me he's been on the field more than any receiver not named Duvernay.  The fuck is going on?

Nahlin in another poster further down emphasized Sunday being the key factor. If I’m reading between the lines I think Eagles got moved down the depth chart on Sunday maybe to move Dev to Z and Jake Smith to Y. I’m sure we’ll still trot out Mehringer’s favorite Epps though. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

And then this.

On OL Javonne Shepherd...24/7 mentioned there's no chance of him returning and his locker has been cleaned out.

He's had a few run-ins with teammates since arriving on campus, and supposedly told DE Princely Umanmielen that he shouldn't sign with Texas.

Shepherd will be a perfect fit for aggy

2 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Nahlin in another poster further down emphasized Sunday being the key factor. If I’m reading between the lines I think Eagles got moved down the depth chart on Sunday maybe to move Dev to Z and Jake Smith to Y. I’m sure we’ll still trot out Mehringer’s favorite Epps though. 

That would be some bull shit. Epps sucks. 

4 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

That would be some bull shit. Epps sucks. 

Right? We are going to miss Eagles. Who knows, I might Take it to the Limit as The Last Resort and make it a Tequila Sunrise on Saturday morning to get a Peaceful Easy Feeling before TCU goes Ol' 55 on us. Wasted Time. I'll probably end up On The Border at The Sad Cafe. Witchy Woman.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

And then this.

On OL Javonne Shepherd...24/7 mentioned there's no chance of him returning and his locker has been cleaned out.

He's had a few run-ins with teammates since arriving on campus, and supposedly told DE Princely Umanmielen that he shouldn't sign with Texas.

As my man Brotha' Lynch Hung used to say:  "If you lose a hoe, gain a hoe"!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I’m in the military bro. Lol

Being a moron will get you far up in the leadership tree in the military. It's why always laugh when people give so much reverence to anyone who is a veteran, and why I tell people to never listen to my opinion just because I was in the army.

Listening to the OB podcast and Suchomel alluded to the Eaton decommitment tomorrow (kthxbye), and he has a scheduled interview with Fillinger tonight where he will attempt to put some clarity around his Van's "right now, I'm locked in" comments. He also put some color around the Pouncey committment confirmation in that he will be an early enrollee specifically to get his torn labrum surgery done by Texas team doctors

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bEastTexas said:

If only there were some way to get 4 receivers on the field at the same time. Some kind of weird formation of players on the field where 4 of them are receivers.

Oh well, it's just not possible. I mean you have 5 linemen, a quarterback, a running back, AND YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE A TIGHT END ON THE FIELD AT ALL TIMES THERE IS NO WAY AROUND DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If only there were some way to get 4 receivers on the field at the same time. Some kind of weird formation of players on the field where 4 of them are receivers.

But who will block for our bubble screens??!? Certainly not Epps or Eagles, they can't be trusted to handle such mundane tasks.

Edited by satyanash

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Duv moves to Z.  Smith takes Eagles starting spot, technically. 

But the real benefit is having Eagles rotating in instead of Epps.

I can see the coaches wanting to do this, and can see why it would piss off Eagles.

I will absolutely die on the fuck the tight end hill. There's no reason that Smith, CJ, Eagles, and Duv can't be on the field at the same time and alleviate all of these problems. The insistence on misutilization of personnel went from annoying to a roster issue and that's not acceptable.

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Listening to the OB podcast and Suchomel alluded to the Eaton decommitment tomorrow (kthxbye), and he has a scheduled interview with Fillinger tonight where he will attempt to put some clarity around his Van's "right now, I'm locked in" comments. He also put some color around the Pouncey committment confirmation in that he will be an early enrollee specifically to get his torn labrum surgery done by Texas team doctors

What's the name of the Orangebloods podcast?

• Fuck You 1

There should not be this many disgruntled 18 year olds playing football and living in Austin freaking Texas. This is just weird to me.

It is a little weird. Is it immature pussification by players in the age of the portal, or arrogant bumbling by a staff with low emotional intelligence (EQ). Or, a little of both?

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:
The best 11 includes Eagles, Duvernay, Smith, R. Johnson, and Ingram. The injured version of Collin Johnson is useless right now.

I watched the final drive against Kansas and useless was not the impression it gave me.

Haha, you stayed with the game long enough to watch the final drive.

Haha, you stayed with the game long enough to watch the final drive.
Sadly I stayed AT the game long enough to watch the final drive. Don't live close and only get to take in one game a year in person. Lucky me.

If I tried to forget for a moment that Kansas was the opponent, it was almost an exciting finish to see in person.
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I watched the final drive against Kansas and useless was not the impression it gave me.

Same with Brewer the drive before.

But in all seriousness, Herman uses his TE to influence the front and coverages.  He's not flexed out wide to be Jason Witten.  Although we all know that would be ideal.

Edited by JBJ

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:
The best 11 includes Eagles, Duvernay, Smith, R. Johnson, and Ingram. The injured version of Collin Johnson is useless right now.

You are right, it appears Johnson is back healthy. I turned off the Kansas game after the first failed 4th down conversion. A healthy Johnson is definitely in the best 11. I guess you could rotate Ingram and Johnson and figure out a 10 personnel and a 20 personnel package to best utilize those 6 guys.

48 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

What's the name of the Orangebloods podcast?

41 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I thought so. I could never find an updated feed for OB's TicketCity Podcast on either the podcoin or castbox apps. So I just assumed that OB was no longer doing a podcast. I msay have to switch podcasts apps again.

• Fuck You 1

47 minutes ago, JBJ said:

But in all seriousness, Herman uses his TE to influence the front and coverages.

But when your TE isn't a threat, defenses start to ignore it. The argument that defensive alignment against 11 presents a more favorable scenario for Texas than replacing the TE with a flex playmaker is wrong. Personnel > alignment

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

few de-commitments happen in every cycle at almost every school. The vicissitudes, amirite?

If Princely Umanmielen, and Josh Eaton potentially, are the casualties, please don’t lose sleep. The heart of this class is still intact, led by a group of guys that don’t understand the word ‘de-commitment.’ 

The sky isn’t falling. Texas is still No. 15, 5-2, and have a straight line to Arlington if they win. They also still have a Top 5-10 level class for 2020. The sun will almost assuredly rise tomorrow. 

- Alfred Collins. The most important remaining target recently took officials to Alabama, Texas A&M, OU, and was in Austin this past weekend. We've been steady on UT's chances here since the summer, and it only increased after the opening weekend win over La Tech. There's not a lot to unpack here. Every recruitment is different, and in Collins' case I believe we're seeing a mature kid with a great family, and a mother with Texas ties. As we understand it, the official last weekend only confirmed our original thoughts. Today, we still feel as though the Longhorns are the team to beat. There are whispers of UOVs potentially, but that's hard to see right now. Texas and coach Oscar Giles just have to hold steady. 

- Ethan Pouncey. The dynamic corner out of Winter Park (FL) has been shelved all season due to a hip injury. Even though the pain has subsided and they've decided not to have surgery, the four-star Texas pledge is still sitting out until further notice. As for his commitment status, he's good to go. His older brother, Jordan, is a wide receiver at UT and it looks like little Pouncey is still following big Pouncey. Jordan is happy in Austin from what we’ve heard.

- Kelvontay Dixon. Don't forget about the other family. Keaontay Ingram's little brother has been on de-commit watch from Arkansas for over a month now. The three-star athlete from Carthage continues to focus on his senior year, but I believe you could see some movement here as soon as the next few weeks. I don't want to say this is done, but we've dropped enough bread crumbs to spike the board’s insulin levels.

- Josh Eaton. Today, the low four-star from Houston is a Texas pledge. Tomorrow, who knows. The whispers surrounding this recruitment are louder than people think and they’re already loud enough for the olds to Head. If he flips to OU soon, don't be shocked. I don't believe Texas will replace him, but they do have contingencies like Pflugerville Connally CB, Baylor commit Jahdae Barron. And let's not forget Kelee Ringo. The five-star from Arizona will take an OV to UT later this year. He recently tripped to the Oregon and was given the tour of a place that resembles the ship in Flight of the Navigator. Stay the course, coach Jason Washington. 

- What about 2021? We haven't touched on this class much lately. But behind the scenes, it's still gaining steam. UT is still in a great spot for guys like Donovan Jackson and the Brothers Brockermeyer. Another guy that UT appears to be gaining on is five-star CB Tony Grimes. Texas really made an impression on the Grimes family last spring, and the Virginia Beach (VA) native stays in constant contact with the UT staff and will likely visit again in early 2020. This is setting up to become genuinely worth following.

Quick team notes:

Jalen Green is set to get the start at one corner. The other corner has become....dramatic. 

Brennan Eagles practiced yesterday and was with the team today and characterized as “happy.”

We’re drawing straws to deem who has to write the team Humidor. We’ll probably just go with whoever is youngest.

IT

Edited by Coach pop a bitch

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah Eaton was a soft commit.  Utah kid was always a risk to change mind and stay closer to home.  Pouncey probably hates terrible defense in last 2 games.  And the following stats hurt...

Orlando will look at these numbers and think, "Looks like we're spending too much time on pass defense."