Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

I think it's weird Elko isn't doing in-homes and Fisher is telling folks he's not coming back, and yet we haven't seen a peep about him being offered the job. The NFL folks...who the fuck knows. What I do know is the track record for all the supposed genius NFL motherfuckers who take the step down to coach college is generally speaking always a huge fucking LOL tire fire. I'm sure Too-Smart-For-Everyone Garrett will try to bring and overly complicated mindset to the offense with no concept of practice hour limitations and that kids, you know, still have school. 

16 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Who is acting like he's a bad coach?  I think people are suggesting he seems like a bad HC interviewer.

13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Nobody is saying Elko is a bad coordinator. There are plenty of good coordinators that never get great head coaching gigs because they aren’t viewed as head coaching material. 

BWO saying “better jobs have passed on him” is likely coming from IT/Gerry Hamilton and I believe it. 

The Duke boards have flat out said that Elko would take the job regardless of financial limitations. The only question is if they’re going to offer. 

13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Exactly 

the guy is fucking 44 years old and people are acting like he is Brett Venables (until now) or Bud Black or THE CHIEF who has no interest in being a head coach

so to be clear, despite his results on field and despite his age you all think he is a bad interviewer... because he chose not to take shitty jobs at places like KANSAS and TEMPLE and then used those interviews to get raises at Texas A&M that culminated in him being one of the highest paid assistant coaches in CFB at over $2m / year?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Just now, NoName said:

the guy is fucking 44 years old and people are acting like he is Brett Venables (until now) or Bud Black or THE CHIEF who has no interest in being a head coach

so to be clear, despite his results on field and despite his age you all think he is a bad interviewer... because he chose not to take shitty jobs at places like KANSAS and TEMPLE and then used those interviews to get raises at Texas A&M that culminated in him being one of the highest paid assistant coaches in CFB at over $2m / year?

Yet, he's willing to take Duke a bottom tier P5 job. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think it's weird Elko isn't doing in-homes and Fisher is telling folks he's not coming back, and yet we haven't seen a peep about him being offered the job. The NFL folks...who the fuck knows. What I do know is the track record for all the supposed genius NFL motherfuckers who take the step down to coach college is generally speaking always a huge fucking LOL tire fire. I'm sure Too-Smart-For-Everyone Garrett will try to bring and overly complicated mindset to the offense with no concept of practice hour limitations and that kids, you know, still have school. 

From resident North Shore insider on IT regarding that, I put in the 2022 texas thread but will x-post here.

image.png.8941bffa77ab74da5983a418ee89c9a1.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's pretty obvious what's going on with Garrett. 

All these NFL people (Mortensen, Kolber, and a couple others) have put out similar PR pitches for Garrett. Maybe Duke is dumb enough to hire him. 

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

Where are you getting that Elko chose not to take those jobs versus not being offered those jobs? Is that what you think happened just because Elko acted like that happened after he didn't get them?

Edited by Huckleberry

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Venables never said he didn't want to be a HC. Venables got to a point in his career where he was unwilling to move for a new job until his kids either graduated HS or college, one of the two, if I remember correctly. That's why he turned down Kansas State. 

Gotcha. I think it was just fan fiction that a few folks threw around, so I just kind of thought the same thing since he'd been a DC for so long. 

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Where are you getting that Elko chose not to take those jobs versus not being offered those jobs?

It's all aggy narrative after Elko stays at A&M. "He's one of us and he won't leave us for those shit jobs." 

Even Liucci is suggesting that Elko would take the Duke job if offered. But that won't stop the aggy narrative shift to "Elko turned down Duke" if Elko isn't offered the job. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's all aggy narrative after Elko stays at A&M. "He's one of us and he won't leave us for those shit jobs." 

Even Liucci is suggesting that Elko would take the Duke job if offered. But that won't stop the aggy narrative shift if Elko isn't offered the job. 

I have to think if Elko stays for whatever reason, there is a much better chance that Elijah Robinson would be leaving.  I think only reason he "might" stay behind is if he thought he was going to get the aggy DC position should Elko leave.

23 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If it's true, it is a comfort hire. Fisher could have brought Kelly with him to ATM and instead went big game hunting.

My Alabama friend says 2 things:

1) They haven't heard anything like this yet.

2) Kelly doesn't call plays, covers a position group that Saban also looms over, and he's an "active" recruiter. 

That's a pretty mediocre review of the guy. 

Nahlin dropped Kelly's name in a thread today.

Unless I've missed it, I don't think I've even seen confirmation that Garrett has even interviewed for the Duke job. 

I believe Duke was definitely set to hire one of Elliott and Elko and then Garrett decided to throw his hat in the ring because he realized the NFL was no longer an option. No you see all these NFL people giving him a PR push. 

Just now, SarksJuggs said:

Just need Robinson to bolt to Penn State and then we get to watch the class implode. 

Doesn't look like that's happening as Penn State just hired Diaz. Maybe he's still in the mix as co-DC...I dunno. But Robinson could still follow Elko to Duke as the DC or be named the head coach at Temple. 

Either way, I think people are drastically overvaluing the impact this will have on aggys recruiting class. Losing Robinson won't stop them from buying recruits. 

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Doesn't look like that's happening as Penn State just hired Diaz. Maybe he's still in the mix as co-DC...I dunno. But Robinson could still follow Elko to Duke as the DC or be named the head coach at Temple. 

Either way, I think people are drastically overvaluing the impact this will have on aggys recruiting class. Losing Robinson won't stop them from buying recruits. 

wait what?

19 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think you are undervaluing Robinsons impact here. He brings them to the table for bags to be dropped, especially in regards to the prospects in the NE. They lose him and he takes that pipeline with him.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I think you are undervaluing Robinsons impact here. He brings them to the table for bags to be dropped, especially in regards to the prospects in the NE. They lose him and he takes that pipeline with him.

I could be. That's why I want to see Robinson and Elko gone to truly get an idea of what aggy is doing with bags. 

There's no logical reason aggy should be able to hold their recruiting class together if they lost both those guys outside of the fact they're dropping massive bags. 

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Duke is a stepping stone job. It's low expectations and 8-4 or 7-5 will get you a better job. Also, no I don't think Elko can get a better job. He's been trying to get a good P5 gig for years. 

The ACC is a shit football conference and Clemson is down and maybe headed further down.  UVA, VATECCH replacing coaches.  Time to strike while the iron is hot.