Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

35 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Pepperoni is really giving these kids time to process this before badgering them for comment. FWIW I don’t think it affects the current class much but if they lose both Elko and Robinson I think it hurts their recruiting on the defensive side going forward.

We'll see how many hold off signing this week if aggy can't hire a DC quickly

9 hours ago, kevwun said:

In a weird coincidence, all of Canada has just lost internet access.

I'm currently on a layover at Vancouver International. Was worried that I wasn't going to be able to keep with all the recruiting news, but can confirm that at least the airport has internet. Might be a recent development.

• Haha 3

Thoughts on Mike Elko's departure, next moves for A&M

Tarp

Spoiler

Thoughts on Mike Elko's departure, next moves for A&M

Tarp

1. I know it seems odd that Mike Elko would take a job that probably ranks at the lower end of the ACC but there was a former coordinator at A&M years ago who interviewed for a FBS head coaching position. It wasn’t at what anyone would consider a high end program and I asked him if he was doing it for the experience.

He replied “Tarp, there’s only about 100 of those jobs in the world. You’re really lucky if you can land one.”

Based on that, understand that Elko was getting squeezed in three different ways. One, he wasn’t going to make more money at a G5 program which actually acted as a brake on him become a head coach as it limited him to an extent. Two, the SEC has enough money that if you want to become a head coach in this league it’s no longer enough to have been a successful coordinator in it…you have to have been a successful head coach elsewhere and they can afford to pay that type of salary. Three, Elko didn’t really get more than a hot board mention from ACC programs Virginia Tech and Virginia, both of which hired coordinators as head coaches.

Thus, if he wanted to be a head coach at a P5 program, the money that came with it, and the opportunity to get an upgraded head coaching stop that much sooner, this was it.

2. From Duke’s perspective, this is a school that knows that they if they want to be a part of the next round of realignment (and having seen what happened to the private schools in the Big 12 and a basketball school like Kansas), it’s not enough to have a upper echelon basketball program. You’ve got to be good enough at football not to be left behind and Duke’s endowment is pretty sizeable (and unlike state funds at public schools can be diverted to athletics). Thus, they’ll probably spend more than they have in the past (and perhaps even more than a program like Virginia).

Again, from a head coaches’ perspective, this may be more about the short game (landing a job with more resources) than the long game…and the long game is winning games at a school that’s not going to put too much pressure on you to win championships.

3. Elko had done about all he could at A&M, transforming an average at best unit to one of the nation’s best. Yes, he could have stayed and tried to ride the Aggies as far as a national title run but those are tough to come by and given A&M’s losses on defense it wasn’t a sure thing that it would occur in 2022.

Better to leave now and the paychecks and improved resume than perhaps wait two more seasons waiting on both.

4. In past years, Elko’s name would be linked to jobs such as Temple but then quickly be shot down.

This year…not so much.

In fact, Elko actually went out of his way to interview with Duke, not going to their campus but to Las Vegas and then missing visits with prospects prior to a major visit weekend for the Aggies.

Best case scenario, Elko and A&M would have to explaining where he was going to be next season while waiting out Elko and Duke…or explaining how things were going to work without him.

5. There’s no question that A&M will bring in someone with serious chops because Fisher will give him free reign and the money will be best in show. You’ll hear names of some familiar faces but remember that Elko was someone that Fisher struggled to deal with at Wake Forest and that was the biggest factor of all (not what Elko did in his short stay at Notre Dame or in the MAC).

People from the Nick Saban tree tend to build their defenses from the back end from a coaching perspective with most of them being secondary or safety coaches (Elko coached safeties for A&M). That may not hold true if the best available guy coaches linebackers (that also might mean that backers’ coach Tyler Santucci would follow Elko to Duke or that TJ Rushing could take over the secondary) but as of tonight A&M’s only opening for a position coach is at safety.

Finally, my oldest is graduating from college tomorrow and my wife and I have both sides of our families in this weekend. Dinner was at 5:30 tonight and of the news that former A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko was departing Aggieland about 15 minutes after we sat down.

My apologies for not being around and hopefully this makes up for some of that.

• Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

I do wonder who is TAMU going to hire as DC.  They would probably hire one quickly in order to bring some calm to their croots before NSD1.  

If they were smart, they’d make a run at Derek Mason. Lot of instability around Harsin bubbling around behind the scenes in that program. 

So, of course, I fully expect Charlie Kelly.