Lake Travis And Its Run of QBs

Wally Pryor

Really good read.    Reesing's name does get lost in the mix but he still owns the biggest achievement of them all.  I will never be able to get a grasp on him leading Kansas to a 12-1 season in '07 and winning the Orange Bowl.  That's Kansas. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-one-texas-high-school-became-the-countrys-top-qb-factory-014902016.html

15 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Really good read.    Reesing's name does get lost in the mix but he still owns the biggest achievement of them all.  I will never be able to get a grasp on him leading Kansas to a 12-1 season in '07 and winning the Orange Bowl.  That's Kansas. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-one-texas-high-school-became-the-countrys-top-qb-factory-014902016.html

KU had a fluke/easy schedule. Thats how they went 12-1 that year

22 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I lived with a Mizzou fan at the time, and he would beat this point into the ground. Their one loss was to the one good/above average team they played (Mizzou) and Mizzou’s only losses were to OU in the regular season, and OU in the big 12 title game. 

17 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

They certainly did benefit from the North schedule rotation that year, but I will admit that they did beat our asses in Stillwater, and that team was not void of talent... it had Zac Robinson, Dez Bryant, Brandon Pettigrew, Kendall Hunter, etc.  (And as a fun trivia point, that was the year of the "I'm a man! I'm 40!" rant.)

And to their credit, they made it to the Orange Bowl and won the thing.

11 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

They certainly did benefit from the North schedule rotation that year, but I will admit that they did beat our asses in Stillwater, and that team was not void of talent... it had Zac Robinson, Dez Bryant, Brandon Pettigrew, Kendall Hunter, etc.  (And as a fun trivia point, that was the year of the "I'm a man! I'm 40!" rant.)

in fairness, that was a 2005/2014 like year for Gundy.  one of his worst.

y'all lost by three touchdowns to fucking troy that year.

31 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

the fact that we have two hyper-local schools of renown in producing college- and pro-level stars kind of makes me feel like the University of fucking Texas should have a pretty good QB every single fucking year

Keep an eye on the Sophomore QB at Westlake. He is next one you will want to add after Card comes in next year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I was saying which lake Travis qbs only got offered because they were from LT.

The guys on either side of mayfield. 

Lagasse was after, forget the guy before

the 2 brewers, mayfield and squints were all really good HS QBs

Edited by Treefidy

Crazier, I grew up on the mean streets of Lakeway,  we sucked at every sport, save for golf and tennis. Football was pathetic, one of our head coaches left for fucking Thorndale and won multiple titles. Despite Westlake being down the road and a blueprint for success, LT sucked and I mean sucked. State titles? LT folks didnt even think of the playoffs.

10 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

If you want to hear something crazy, the first Wimberley football game I went to when I moved here in 1999 was against LT.  I think they won 21-14.  I was told that they were one of Wimberley's big rivals.  LT has come a long ways.  

Yeah, Dripping Springs used to routinely smash them (LT) as well.  My, times have changed.  We need some of that NFL caliber DNA to move out here as well.

15 hours ago, sidis said:

in fairness, that was a 2005/2014 like year for Gundy.  one of his worst.

y'all lost by three touchdowns to fucking troy that year.

The Troy game was a disaster, no doubt. That was right in the middle of the Bobby Reid/Zac Robinson transition that culminated in the "I'm a Man! I'm 40!" rant the next week after we won the Texas Tech game (with Robinson starting).  

That team was nowhere near the 2005 or 2014 teams. It was a completely different situation. The 2005 team was a bad, non-competitive team in Gundy's first year.

The 2014 team had no offensive line (thanks Wickline), didn't have a real starting QB, and wasn't competitive against anyone until Gundy pulled Mason Rudolph's redshirt before the Baylor game.  Neither one of those teams had anywhere near the talent of the 2007 team.

That team just didn't get it all going in the same direction until after the Reid/Robinson QB situation was ironed out. 

After that, they were pretty decent, especially at home.  Our other conference home games that year were against you guys, Texas Tech and Kansas State.  All three were ranked.  We beat Tech and K-State and damn near beat you guys... it was the game when we were up 35-14 going into the 4th quarter and you guys came back and won 38-35.  

And then Kansas just steamrolled us.

1 minute ago, oSuJeff97 said:

The Troy game was a disaster, no doubt. That was right in the middle of the Bobby Reid/Zac Robinson transition that culminated in the "I'm a Man! I'm 40!" rant the next week after we won the Texas Tech game (with Robinson starting).  

That team was nowhere near the 2005 or 2014 teams. It was a completely different situation. The 2005 team was a bad, non-competitive team in Gundy's first year.

The 2014 team had no offensive line (thanks Wickline), didn't have a real starting QB, and wasn't competitive against anyone until Gundy pulled Mason Rudolph's redshirt before the Baylor game.  Neither one of those teams had anywhere near the talent of the 2007 team.

That team just didn't get it all going in the same direction until after the Reid/Robinson QB situation was ironed out. 

After that, they were pretty decent, especially at home.  Our other conference home games that year were against you guys, Texas Tech and Kansas State.  All three were ranked.  We beat Tech and K-State and damn near beat you guys... it was the game when we were up 35-14 going into the 4th quarter and you guys came back and won 38-35.  

And then Kansas just steamrolled us.

kstate was ranked because they ron prince'd us early that season but they finished 5-7.  tech and texas were both weird ass teams that year with bizarre ups and downs and horrible inconsistency.  neither team was good.  so beating or playing close either of those teams was nothing of note.  kansas definitely had their banner year that year and they were actually a competitive team, but they truly had the most amazing schedule set up of all time with no texas or oklahoma on the schedule, a non-conf slate of central michigan, s.e. louisiana, toledo, and f.i.u., a relatively weak version of okie state (6 loss team), tamu (6 loss team),  and baylor (9 loss team), and a two team north with nebraska losing 7 games, kstate losing 7 games, 9 loss iowa state, and 7 loss colorado.

to summarize, the average record of fbs teams that kansas beat was 4.9-7.4 and the minimum number of losses of any team they beat was 6.  in conference, those averages go to 5.1-7.3 with the minimum remaining at 6.  okie state was far and away the best team they beat that year and it was a year that okie state could lose to troy by three touchdowns and blow a 35-14 fourth quarter lead to a texas team that had nothing going that day besides jamaal charles running fast.

18 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Agreed. One deserves credit for winning even if the regular season schedule allows one to miss Texas and OU. KU had a great year in 2007.

Re: Lake Travis And Its Run of QBs

While I can't guarantee LT will have great QBs next decade, I assure you they will in the '30s because of my sons.

Edited by n64ra