Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

Look at all the teams winning with former practice squad guys now starting at QB. It ain't the QB, it's how teams adjust to what they have and what they can do with it. The Cowboys have no shortage of talent to destroy the shitty Jets, even with the injuries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougO said:

Going for it on 4th and 2 down 7-3 was just full regard, especially with two backup tackles, no Cobb in the mix and Cooper already out, limiting their play options that much more. The transpiring moments turned the rest of the game into a panic situation they were not prepared for. It's not like Red J didn't have a recent sample of terrible in-game decisions. It was almost a replay of the previous week, when he admitted he didn't have the team ready to play. And the week before that was not a stellar performance, either.

It spells real problems when team can't be ready to get back on track against the worst team int he NFL after two devastating losses to good teams.

Garrett likely won't be fired during the season, but this one may have finally given Jerry a hair trigger to pull at the end of the season unless shit turns around 180 degrees pretty quick.

Well, in all fairness, just because they failed on a 4th and 2 doesn't mean they had to give up a 92 yard TD pass on the very next play.

This staff spreads the failure points around. Which seems to be okay with them as long as they keep clapping. 

y’all haven't learned anything in the last 12 years.  garrett will get this thing to probably 10-6/9-7 and save his job, dak will shit the bed in the divisional round, everyone will retain their positions and titles and they’ll roll it out again exactly the same at the end of the summer in 2020. 

1 hour ago, GTX Horn said:

Yes Dak should definitely shoulder some of the blame but the offensive scheme and playcalling doesn’t really do him any favors or maximize his strengths. What happened to all the motion and RPOs from the first few games? The offense has gotten increasingly more vanilla throughout the season which points to Garrett meddling more with the offensive playcalling and gameplanning as Tony alluded to yesterday

Romo basically confirmed it yesterday. Said something like this has Garrett's fingerprints all over it and he recognizes everything they're doing because it's the exact same thing as before. 

I feel bad for Moore. Garrett is ruining his reputation and what can he really do about it? Get with Dak and mutiny against Garrett and say hey I'm calling the plays listen to me only? Go to Garrett say hey your offense sucks it's trash you're ruining my reputation so I need to call the plays like the first 3 weeks? Resign and have a press conference saying you're basically not going to allow a bad coach to ruin your reputation? Very tough situation when you're under the thumb of a completely incompetent idiot. 

Garrett isn't a middle of the pack head coach. He just got completely schooled by Adam freaking Gase. The week before he got completely schooled by a rookie head coach. Last year in the playoffs he got completely schooled by a rookie head coach. He's possibly the worst coach in the NFL. 

Edited by Junior Miller
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Garrett isn't a middle of the pack head coach. He just got completely schooled by Adam freaking Gase. The week before he got completely schooled by a rookie head coach. Last year in the playoffs he got completely schooled by a rookie head coach. He's possibly the worst coach in the NFL. 

This is the truth. He is not middle of the pack. At all. 

• Like 2

Zeke was fucking terrible yesterday. If he can't help out a weakened offensive line by willing his way to four + yards a carry on a day when they're feeding the shit out of him why  the fuck is he making all that money? if it's all on the offensive line then just have a cheap running back like I've been saying all along

Fucking Clown and his stupid Dak takes are getting worse and worse.  And he knows who he is.

Yes he shoulders SOME blame, but the idiot continues to act like he's the entire reason they lost.  It's sickening.

Coaching, and that coaching not being able to overcome obvious weaknesses due to injuries are the biggest reason to blame.  But whatever...keep the Dak bashing alive. Dude led 2 TD drives, and what should have been a 3rd(if not for a horrible OPI call) that would have been enough to win despite the horrendous coaching, and this fool continues his schtick.

Was much better when they were winning and he was nowhere to be seen.

57 minutes ago, Drew said:

Fucking Clown and his stupid Dak takes are getting worse and worse.  And he knows who he is.

Yes he shoulders SOME blame, but the idiot continues to act like he's the entire reason they lost.  It's sickening.

Coaching, and that coaching not being able to overcome obvious weaknesses due to injuries are the biggest reason to blame.  But whatever...keep the Dak bashing alive. Dude led 2 TD drives, and what should have been a 3rd(if not for a horrible OPI call) that would have been enough to win despite the horrendous coaching, and this fool continues his schtick.

Was much better when they were winning and he was nowhere to be seen.

Screenshot-20191014-172141-Google.jpg

5 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Why didnt Garrett throw the fucking challenge flag on the bullshit PI call?

I asked that in the game thread. Somebody pointed out that only like 1 in the last 22 PI challenges had been reversed so it was likely a futile attempt.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I asked that in the game thread. Somebody pointed out that only like 1 in the last 22 PI challenges had been reversed so it was likely a futile attempt.

I don't see what he had to lose by trying. Besides the fact that there was obvious contact by the Jets defender prior to the "pick". Just seems stupid not to try or at least highlight the issue for the league to look at later. Another dumb move by Garrett, in my opinion.

20 minutes ago, SurlyBDR said:

Screenshot-20191014-172141-Google.jpg

Tom Landry used to say something like don't worry about the things you can't control. Some of the best coaching advice I ever heard from a great coach. I give less fucks than ever before about sports, though still probably too much.

5 hours ago, futureman said:

qbs win games.  period.  this is on dak and nobody else. 

I tend to agree. I have nothing against Dak other then he is just another guy playing QB. He’s not bad, but he isnt great either. I just react to what I see, and I don’t think the competition respects his game (arm). Allowing them to crowd the box for Zeke.

They of course make sure they all know exactly where Cooper is when he is in because he can make a QB look better then they actually are. But what the fuck do i know, I just watch it. Damn, losing to the fucking Jets. What a pussy team.

Jason Garrett by the numbers

8+ seasons as the full time HC
3 playoff appearances
2 playoff wins

7 head coaches still have their job since Garrett became the full time HC in 2011:
6 have appeared Super Bowls.
5 have won the Super Bowl.

Garrett is the only Dallas Cowboys coach ever to :

• Lose a game when leading by 14 in 4th qtr (jets 2011)
  • Lose a game after leading by 24 (detroit 2011)....did a similar repeat of this later in GB 2013 game
  • The Cowboys (JG) established a new franchise low in rushing touchdowns in the 2011 season with five, which included a rushing TD by Romo himself
  • Ice his kicker on a winning kick and lose the game....Arizona 2011
  • Lose 3 win or go home games in a row
  • Have 3 non winning seasons in a row, (tied with Campo) also coach Landry when the franchise was first created
  • Go 8-8 3 seasons in a row
  • Had the worst defense in franchise history
  • Go 10 quarters without scoring a TD. Club record. (2017)
  • Score single digits in 3 straight games. Club record. (2017)
  • Lose to a team who had more penalty yardage than offensive yardage. Club record. (2017)
  • Have 4 losses by over 20 points. (2017)
  • Get 8 sacks in 1 game. The most given up by any Cowboy team since 1991.
  • Score 10 points or less in 3 straight games. (2017)
  • Lose a game when running 42 times in a game (2012)
  • Allow 625 yards and 40 first downs in a game (2013)

Jason Garrett is the now the only coach ever to lose a game while winning Time of Possession, Total Yards, Turnovers, Pick up 25 First Downs, and convert at least 10 or more 3rd downs. (91 game sample)

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, DougO said:

Tom Landry used to say something like don't worry about the things you can't control. Some of the best coaching advice I ever heard from a great coach. I give less fucks than ever before about sports, though still probably too much.

Well, I care.

I also dont care. I enjoy being a fan year in and out, but watching the same thing happen year after year has grown stale. I laughed so fucking hard at what was happening yesterday evening, my neighbor probably thinks I've gone off the deep end.

giphy.gif

The Boys are still my team, but they sure as fuck arent the team I (we kinda all) thought they were.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Jason Garrett by the numbers

8+ seasons as the full time HC
3 playoff appearances
2 playoff wins

7 head coaches still have their job since Garrett became the full time HC in 2011:
6 have appeared Super Bowls.
5 have won the Super Bowl.

Garrett is the only Dallas Cowboys coach ever to :

• Lose a game when leading by 14 in 4th qtr (jets 2011)
  • Lose a game after leading by 24 (detroit 2011)....did a similar repeat of this later in GB 2013 game
  • The Cowboys (JG) established a new franchise low in rushing touchdowns in the 2011 season with five, which included a rushing TD by Romo himself
  • Ice his kicker on a winning kick and lose the game....Arizona 2011
  • Lose 3 win or go home games in a row
  • Have 3 non winning seasons in a row, (tied with Campo) also coach Landry when the franchise was first created
  • Go 8-8 3 seasons in a row
  • Had the worst defense in franchise history
  • Go 10 quarters without scoring a TD. Club record. (2017)
  • Score single digits in 3 straight games. Club record. (2017)
  • Lose to a team who had more penalty yardage than offensive yardage. Club record. (2017)
  • Have 4 losses by over 20 points. (2017)
  • Get 8 sacks in 1 game. The most given up by any Cowboy team since 1991.
  • Score 10 points or less in 3 straight games. (2017)
  • Lose a game when running 42 times in a game (2012)
  • Allow 625 yards and 40 first downs in a game (2013)

Jason Garrett is the now the only coach ever to lose a game while winning Time of Possession, Total Yards, Turnovers, Pick up 25 First Downs, and convert at least 10 or more 3rd downs. (91 game sample)

Tack on to that that he's probably averaged $5 million a year for 8 years, so that's $40 million, not bad and should be financially secure if he's fired. 

4 hours ago, futureman said:

y’all haven't learned anything in the last 12 years.  garrett will get this thing to probably 10-6/9-7 and save his job, dak will shit the bed in the divisional round, everyone will retain their positions and titles and they’ll roll it out again exactly the same at the end of the summer in 2020. 

this team is not going 10-6, 9-7 is an outside shot.  Jason garrett is their coach.  cooper now has injury issues, the DB's are bad and Dlaw is non existent. the OL situation is just icing on the cake.  I'm guessing Smith will be in and out of the lineup all year and will retire after this year.

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

Here's the thing. A lot of shit going on yesterday. The Jets aren't great but they're definitely a completely different team with Darnold under center compared to the shit they were running out there yesterday. But the thing is these are not things EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL go through and yet they're able to coach/play around them and win games. We don't seem to ever do that. Ever.

• Both starting tackles out vs blitz-happy D-coordinator -- BETTER COACHING CAN HELP SCHEME AROUND SHORT-COMINGS
  • QB who might not be the one to lead this team to promised land -- does he need everything to be perfect for him to be elite?  If so, that's a problem. (Get used to Dak as QB because there isn't anything we can do about it at this point -- HARD TO BLAME A PLAYER FOR SIMPLY NOT BEING BETTER THAN HE IS EXCEPT IN RARE CIRCUMSTANCES. IS HE A TOP 5 QB? ABSOLUTELY NOT. HE'S PROBABLY AT MINIMUM A TOP HALF OF NFL QB BUT DO YOU REALLY WANT TO GIVE THAT GUY $30M.
  • Connor Williams and La'el Collins should probably flip spots on the line -- AGAIN, THIS IS ON THE COACHING (OR THE GM)
  • Amari Cooper gets hurt on the first drive and does not come back -- DUMB LUCK AS HE'S WITHOUT QUESTION OUR #1 RECEIVER
  • Poor call by the refs negating a TD pass to Witten and Garret (probably wisely) doesn't bother with a challenge -- BAD LUCK
  • Frustrating PK who can make from 62 but routinely misses "money" kicks inside 45 yards -- POOR GM
  • DeMarcus Lawrence is basically a no-show to this point after signing his big extension -- GM MISTAKE OR IS THIS ON DLAW FOR NOT DOING SURGERY UNTIL HE GOT PAID
  • Jaylon Smith and LVE seem to have regressed -- BLAME MARINELLI
  • Jeff Heath is our starting safety -- 100% FRONT OFFICE/GM FUCKUP; I WONDER HOW MUCH DIFFERENT WE'D LOOK WITH EARL THOMAS QB'ING THE DEFENSE
  • Anthony Brown plays a lot more than he probably should -- MORE GM DUMB-FUCKERY
  • The aforementioned Darnold calls out Dallas schemes basically saying there's no effort to perhaps mask what we're doing EVER -- THIS FALLS SOLELY ON GARRETT

Jourdan Lewis needs to be on the fucking field way more than he currently is. He was a freaking 3rd round draft pick and the staff seems reticent to put him on the field. That is unless we need someone to cover the 1st or 2nd best running back in the league  (Kamara) or a big play from our secondary. If those things are in need then he's on the field. 

7 hours ago, futureman said:
yeah but you’re blaming the front office and the coach.  they’re not playing on the field.  we have a good roster with good players.  the 49ers were missing both their starting OT and beat the brakes off the rams in LA yesterday.  garoppolo looks capable of earning his contract.  literally every single time in dak’s career that his supporting cast has not been fully healthy and firing on all cylinders he has been TERRIBLE.  a competent qb with a healthy zeke elliot would simply find a way to win these games.  dak is very simply not a competent quarterback. 

What games are you watching? Garapolo looks like ass my dude. Go back to your Mike White shrine and let the adults talk about football. 1874ad46eb3e8d00b3f71f20bdd430b8.jpg

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

What games are you watching? Garapolo looks like ass my dude. Go back to your Mike White shrine and let the adults talk about football.

but I thought winning was what made a good quarterback?  that’s everyone's argument for dak.  garappolo is undefeated.

The 49ers are missing their 2 starting tackles and are the only undefeated team in the NFC. The big difference between us and the 49ers is coaching. Shanahan is Isaac Newton compared to Garrett. If we lose to the Eagles this week I wouldn't be surprised if Marinelli gets fired or Garrett completely take over offensive playcalling in an attempt to scapegoat someone (i.e., Moore or Marinelli)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

Well, I care.

I also dont care. I enjoy being a fan year in and out, but watching the same thing happen year after year has grown stale. I laughed so fucking hard at what was happening yesterday evening, my neighbor probably thinks I've gone off the deep end.

giphy.gif

The Boys are still my team, but they sure as fuck arent the team I (we kinda all) thought they were.

I have learned to never expect them to be the team I think they should be. When they seem like they should suck, they ended up being fairly competitive. When they seem like strong playoff contenders, they tend to let us down.

Yes, it does get fucking old, getting gut punched in different ways every year, but not really unexpected ways by Cowboys standards.

I like Garrett as a dude I would really love to be a damn good coach and prove his doubters wrong. But every time he shows a little something, he tends to blow it and go back to being just another gingerballs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTX Horn said:

The 49ers are missing their 2 starting tackles and are the only undefeated team in the NFC. The big difference between us and the 49ers is coaching. Shanahan is Isaac Newton compared to Garrett. If we lose to the Eagles this week I wouldn't be surprised if Marinelli gets fired or Garrett completely take over offensive playcalling in an attempt to scapegoat someone (i.e., Moore or Marinelli)

That's one of the things that get me riled. I'm all about having a great offensive line, but the Cowboys spend so much of their draft and salary budget on offensive line it's ridiculous. Their antiquated offensive style seems dependent on having five healthy Pro bowl starters  in order to somewhat function. When one of them gets hurt, the whole fucking thing collapses and they suck shit. Many of the top teams succeed with some pretty low rent OLmen. The Patriots in the last decade or so have had mostly journeymen guys, but they have a system in place where they don't need a bunch of studs, just well coached guys that do what they need to do for their scheme. When a Cowboys opponent loses an offensive lineman the reserve guys seem to hold up pretty well. When a Cowboys offensive lineman goes down, even their high-priced sought-after swing tackle that was supposed to be great insurance plays like a rag doll stuffed with chopped liver in a room full of dobermans.

It's way past due to get an offensive scheme that is adaptable to today's NFL to succeed on a long term basis, and have some ability to adjust under different circumstances.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Sadly, although this may still be true to an extent, the GM blame falls third in line right now to Coach and QB blame.

And who gets final decision on coach and qb?

the owner- yes

the gm - yes

cowboys won't get fixed till gm is removed 

4 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Garrett completely take over offensive playcalling in an attempt to scapegoat someone (i.e., Moore or Marinelli)

Romo already confirmed it. Although it's plainly obvious to see the offensive design, motion,play action, and play calling from the first three games is completely different from the last three games. 

think about how big of an insecure piece of shit Garrett has to be to see more offense the first three games then completely take over afterwards and torpedo it. I bet all the media talk about more being a genius was pissing him off willing to risk crashing the offense into the ground and losing three straight just to call the plays himself. 

• Like 1

Every great team, hell just about every championship team, at any level, has 2 common components...great head coach and great quarterback.  With very few exceptions.  There’s a reason everyone calls for those two replacements when things suck.  It’s because they are the most critical to success.  Literally every other position, coaching or player, can be pretty plug and play at least to a certain extent.  But you have to have a head coach and a quarterback or you aren’t winning shit.

And it’s like the cowboys have it backward.

30 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Tyrone Crawford to IR.  We may be without Anthony Brown and Jones this week too,

You can replace the secondary players with bottom feeder spares and there'd be not noticeable difference. I mean the secondary players we have might be bottom feeder spares in the first place. 6 games in. One single interception. 

I can't think of one thing this defense actually does well. 

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

You can replace the secondary players with bottom feeder spares and there'd be not noticeable difference. I mean the secondary players we have might be bottom feeder spares in the first place. 6 games in. One single interception. 

I can't think of one thing this defense actually does well. 

Embarrass themselves?

• Like 1