Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

This is 100% speculative, but Riley is from Texas and was in Middle and High School during the 90s run, so it's completely reasonable that this is a dream job for that kind of person. Especially compared to any other NFL opening. But that being said, OU would be able to probably match any salary Jerry offered, so it would come down to if he wants to strike while the iron is hot and go to the NFL or stay in college. I'm not sure how well his scheme would translate to the NFL but I'd take it over what Garrett and Co. have been running

This usually happens when you play any team with a pulse and your have injuries across the line.  Cowboys don't have a great OL in pass pro.

It's not just our OL breaking down. The saints, jets, and Packers blitzed almost twice as much as the first three teams did.

23 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Reilly can get a ton more out of Dak than Garrett. Look what he did for guys like Baker, Murray, and now Hurts. All three were beat out at other schools, then came and won heismans (Hurts most likely) with absurd numbers under Reilly. Dak is better than Baker, he just is. The question would be if his offense can work or be tailored for the NFL where the defenders are much deeper, faster, and more talented than in college (and the Big 12 in particular).

You think Hurts is "most likely" going to win the Heisman? I don't see it, not after his performance against us on Saturday. He's still a one-read QB who is a great runner. I'd vote him 3rd at best today behind Tua and Burrow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

You think Hurts is "most likely" going to win the Heisman? I don't see it, not after his performance against us on Saturday. He's still a one-read QB who is a great runner. I'd vote him 3rd at best today behind Tua and Burrow.

If they make the playoffs and he keeps putting up the numbers he put up outside of the game against us, he’s absolutely going to be a finalist. If joe Burrow beats Bama and LSU makes the playoffs, that’s probably gonna be your winner. 

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

He's going to continue carving up the league. He put up 230 yards and 3 TDs against your defense, which is probably the best in the league. That's still pretty good. He'll break 500 every game going forward. He will win and it won't be close.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

He's going to continue carving up the league. He put up 230 yards and 3 TDs against your defense, which is probably the best in the league. That's still pretty good. He'll break 500 every game going forward. He will win and it won't be close.

They'll probably give it to the guy who did even better against the best defense in the big12.

9 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Justin Fields is probably a head of him as well, I'd say.  Hurts is most certainly not the favorite right now.  He's still in the mix though.

Gagree.

8 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If they make the playoffs and he keeps putting up the numbers he put up outside of the game against us, he’s absolutely going to be a finalist. If joe Burrow beats Bama and LSU makes the playoffs, that’s probably gonna be your winner. 

Not saying he won't be a finalist. Just saying Burrow and Tua are having better seasons to this point. One of those teams is going undefeated and winning the SEC.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Maybe. I think there could also be some OU-QB fatigue in voters who would sit back and decide he couldn't beat out Tua and isn't nearly as good as Baker and Kyler were and not put him at #1.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:
1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:
This usually happens when you play any team with a pulse and your have injuries across the line.  Cowboys don't have a great OL in pass pro.

It's not just our OL breaking down. The saints, jets, and Packers blitzed almost twice as much as the first three teams did.

You mean blitzing actually forces a QB into making quicker plays and mistakes/sacks happen? What a concept! I wish our defensive staff knew what a blitz was. But nope, we will continue to try and get pressure with only 4 even if we never do with any consistency.

But this OL has left a lot to be desired since they hit their peak in 2016. And it seems when Tyron goes down, this OL goes to junk. And how well is Frederick after coming off his illness? He does not look the same at all. And Martin who never missed a game since high school has not looked the same since his injury. 

This all started when Jerry brought in Garrett to be his OC for Wade. He had been the Dolphins QB coach for two seasons under Nick Satan and a team that wasn't very good.  He was a bit more experienced than Kellen Moore. But that ivy league diploma on the wall proved that he's a genius, he had some Cowboys history, so Jerry was sold. Jerry is still hung up on the same criteria.

36 minutes ago, DougO said:

This all started when Jerry brought in Garrett to be his OC for Wade. He had been the Dolphins QB coach for two seasons under Nick Satan and a team that wasn't very good.  He was a bit more experienced than Kellen Moore. But that ivy league diploma on the wall proved that he's a genius, he had some Cowboys history, so Jerry was sold. Jerry is still hung up on the same criteria.

Didn't Garrett interview for the Ravens' -- and maybe the Giants' HC -- jobs around that time or was that just after the first Wade/Garrett Cowboys season when we lost to the Giants in 2007 season playoffs?

13 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

With all the talk on Riley how well do y’all think his system would translate to the NFL? Do y’all think the idea that Air Raid offenses won’t translate to the NFL is a bit of a misnomer?

I think Riley is a better overall corch than Kliff -- by a large margin too -- and think he would tailor his system to work at whatever level he is at. Naturally, his teams wouldn't get away with some of the shit they pull at the college level (egregious holding on offense and defense).

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Didn't Garrett interview for the Ravens' -- and maybe the Giants' HC -- jobs around that time or was that just after the first Wade/Garrett Cowboys season when we lost to the Giants in 2007 season playoffs?

I think it was Falcons and Ravens after the 2007 season

57 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

With all the talk on Riley how well do y’all think his system would translate to the NFL? Do y’all think the idea that Air Raid offenses won’t translate to the NFL is a bit of a misnomer?

42 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think Riley is a better overall corch than Kliff -- by a large margin too -- and think he would tailor his system to work at whatever level he is at. Naturally, his teams wouldn't get away with some of the shit they pull at the college level (egregious holding on offense and defense).

I think Riley might be the best coach in football at adjusting to his offensive talent and getting the most out of his talent. I don’t know that he really has a “system”. His system is constantly evolving. That’s why i think he’ll have success in the nfl (at least on the offensive end), but like I said before, no chance in hell he’s coming here. I’d bet money on that 

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Haven't had a good Pass Pro OL in 3 years...but people keep regurgitating "Best OL in the game" when they haven't even been Top 5 the last 2 years, and much worse in regards to Pass Protection.  And with Smith out? It's even worse.

30 minutes ago, Drew said:

Haven't had a good Pass Pro OL in 3 years...but people keep regurgitating "Best OL in the game" when they haven't even been Top 5 the last 2 years, and much worse in regards to Pass Protection.  And with Smith out? It's even worse.

Dak has the lowest sack percentage per drop back in the league this year.  A lot of that is due to his working to get rid of it quicker 

35 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Dak has the lowest sack percentage per drop back in the league this year.  A lot of that is due to his working to get rid of it quicker 

What's his percentage of pressures per drop back this year. That's a more telling stat than actual sacks.

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

We're speaking in the hypothetical. I agree Reilly is a god at OU and I don't see why he would leave. The only reason I can think of him leaving OU is if he comes to a realization that he can never get the defensive talent  away with holding enough to compete in the playoff outside the Big 12. It's a long shot, we know that.

There you have it...

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

riley runs the shit out of the ball.  his offense puts does put up crazy numbers but it’s pretty balanced.  I think he could do very well in the NFL. 

I was lurking on Cowboys Zone and another name they were talking about besides Riley was Dan Campbell. Evidently there’s some belief that IF there was an opening he’d be one of the top choices from current NFL assistants. But a few of them also mentioned Urban Meyer so I don’t know

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

What's his percentage of pressures per drop back this year. That's a more telling stat than actual sacks.

Pressures per Dropback are high.  Dak’s stats are pretty damn impressive given what’s been presented 

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 1

The next cowboy head coach unfortunately is already on the staff. Either kris Richard or Kellen Moore. They have both been trained to be yes men and when garret is moved upstairs they will slide over to be head coach. Rinse lather repeat, and the wheel turns round and round

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

The next cowboy head coach unfortunately is already on the staff. Either kris Richard or Kellen Moore. They have both been trained to be yes men and when garret is moved upstairs they will slide over to be head coach. Rinse lather repeat, and the wheel turns round and round

someone knows his cowboys bc this 100% correct

familiarity will be a word used 10000 times in the press conference  

Edited by michaelpshayes

So time and time again we have this conversation. How long are people going to hang onto this notion that Wentz is some superstar QB? Lmao. The most overrated QB in this league. Time and time again he shows he is nothing special at all. One good stretch in his almost 4 year career and we have to hear how great this fuck is. More so, how much better he is than Dak. Lulz. He's a fucking pussy when it matters.

The narrative after this one is how ridiculous it is to believe Garrett took over play-calling in the three losses, but I've yet to hear a single person explain how the team ran a 100% completely different offense in those three losses than they did in the other four games.

Different personnel groupings much of the time. Someone explain how in the wins there was a lot of first down pass, a lot of pre-snap multiple Man motion, a lot of play action, have a lot of misdirection built-in to capitalize on previous tendencies and over pursuing defense... and in each of the losses none of those things were present anywhere near the level of the other games. If an independent mind who knew nothing of the situation or the team just studied those games independently they would 100% of time conclude different people called the offenses in those games. 

From people laughing about it now I want just one of them to give a legitimate rational explanation for how this can be anything other than Garrett taking over the offense for those 3 games. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

This is the same shit like at UT, but opposite. When the offense is good Herman is calling the plays and when it sucks, Beck is calling the plays. 

Much more likely that the change in personality was due to the injuries up front. We all know this team is a giant pussy whenever any starting OL go down. 

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

This is the same shit like at UT, but opposite. When the offense is good Herman is calling the plays and when it sucks, Beck is calling the plays. 

Much more likely that the change in personality was due to the injuries up front. We all know this team is a giant pussy whenever any starting OL go down. 

OL can make any playcaller look brilliant. That said, the play design for Tavon Austin’s TD in the first Q was a thing of beauty 

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

So time and time again we have this conversation. How long are people going to hang onto this notion that Wentz is some superstar QB? Lmao. The most overrated QB in this league. Time and time again he shows he is nothing special at all. One good stretch in his almost 4 year career and we have to hear how great this fuck is. More so, how much better he is than Dak. Lulz. He's a fucking pussy when it matters.

Apparently Dak leads the league in QBR. I think he's a little than Wentz, and definitely more durable.

8 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

The narrative after this one is how ridiculous it is to believe Garrett took over play-calling in the three losses, but I've yet to hear a single person explain how the team ran a 100% completely different offense in those three losses than they did in the other four games.

Different personnel groupings much of the time. Someone explain how in the wins there was a lot of first down pass, a lot of pre-snap multiple Man motion, a lot of play action, have a lot of misdirection built-in to capitalize on previous tendencies and over pursuing defense... and in each of the losses none of those things were present anywhere near the level of the other games. If an independent mind who knew nothing of the situation or the team just studied those games independently they would 100% of time conclude different people called the offenses in those games. 

From people laughing about it now I want just one of them to give a legitimate rational explanation for how this can be anything other than Garrett taking over the offense for those 3 games. 

This is what I'm wondering too. Garrett taking over play calling of course fits that narrative well, but it just seems too simple an answer and doesn't make a lot of logical sense. Still, I'm at a loss for any better explanation. Maybe Garrett started overruling some of the plays in the stretch, maybe Kellen Moore is just inconsistent in his first year calling plays? No doubt losing both OT's affected a bunch of this. 

Edited by Viper