Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Garrett can only coach when everyone is healthy, which by the way a dozen other guys can do just as well, including Adam Gase.  this was known when Romo went down and Garrett couldn't win one fucking game without him.  

and werder asked about "immediate jeopardy".  Jerruh is stupid and doesn't have a backup plan so Garrett gets to coach the season out.  genius move by garrett to fire linehan and hire a guy who is no way ready for a HC gig(he's barely qualifed to be a position coach, maybe a co-ordinator).  Jerry won't hire a D guy again to be the HC.

This is my whole deal. Yeah, you can blame injuries, but every team deals with that. You have backups and if you coach and scheme correctly you can overcome it.

But not Garrett. Garrett is the type of dude who lets a fucking guy get abused to the tune of 6 sacks and doesn't scheme any sort of help whatsoever. Nope, just keep leaving him alone on an island.

Glad i played some golf today instead of watching the visual AIDS.

the game runs through dak.  he touches the ball on every single offensive play.  fuck your injury excuses, this is best roster we’ve had in 25 goddamn years, and with this roster a couple of injuries shouldn’t matter to even a middle-of-the-pack, somewhat competent quarterback.  y’all will blame garrett until you’re blue in the face but it doesn’t change the fact that dak is very simply not getting it done, and he is very clearly just not that good.  a few of you have shown the balls to admit that but most of you are still blaming ginger while nervously apologizing for dak’s repeated failure.  well, ginger isn’t taking the snaps, and if dak was a winner and not a big, fat pussy we’d be 5-1 or 6-0.  instead we’re 3-3 and just lost to the worst team in football, which I called, by the way, because I’m from the goddamn future.  eat a dick.

At this point there's zero chance they win a super bowl or even get to one. The best they can hope for is a repeat of last year where they get hot and win a shitty division then go one or two and bounced. I think it's probably best they just get annihilated and the team quits so Garrett can be gone and maybe with extreme luck they can fall ass backwards into a legit coach. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

No matter who the coach is, it won't make the difference unless jones gets out of gm business. You can steal bill from pats and it will make a slight difference 

Sadly, although this may still be true to an extent, the GM blame falls third in line right now to Coach and QB blame.

8 hours ago, futureman said:

the game runs through dak.  he touches the ball on every single offensive play.  fuck your injury excuses, this is best roster we’ve had in 25 goddamn years, and with this roster a couple of injuries shouldn’t matter to even a middle-of-the-pack, somewhat competent quarterback.  y’all will blame garrett until you’re blue in the face but it doesn’t change the fact that dak is very simply not getting it done, and he is very clearly just not that good.  a few of you have shown the balls to admit that but most of you are still blaming ginger while nervously apologizing for dak’s repeated failure.  well, ginger isn’t taking the snaps, and if dak was a winner and not a big, fat pussy we’d be 5-1 or 6-0.  instead we’re 3-3 and just lost to the worst team in football, which I called, by the way, because I’m from the goddamn future.  eat a dick.

I'm with you on this.  Dak has looked like dog shit the last few weeks.  In all 3 of losses, I would have traded quarterbacks with the opponent in a heartbeat.  One was a backup and one was a second year player.

However, that's not to say the coaching staff hasn't looked equally inept.  I think there's plenty of blame to go around for both.  The whole damn team looks like they spent their pre-season training camp in Cabo. 

We shouldn't have paid Zeke. He is paid and doesn't really care. Even more so for D-Law; he doesn't even exist. Also LVE has been completely nullified this year. The O-line is complete garbage due to injuries and age.

I'm cool with letting Dak sign with the Redskins or something for huge money and us just drafting a QB again because I don't think many QB's can win where Dak can't, with this team. 

35 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

We shouldn't have paid Zeke. He is paid and doesn't really care. Even more so for D-Law; he doesn't even exist. Also LVE has been completely nullified this year. The O-line is complete garbage due to injuries and age.

I'm cool with letting Dak sign with the Redskins or something for huge money and us just drafting a QB again because I don't think many QB's can win where Dak can't, with this team. 

This is a coaching problem, not a player problem. Go look at what the Rams were with Fisher vs McVay. Not even close. Jason and this staff are toxic.

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Our Dallas Cowboys ladies and gentleman. This whole league knows exactly what we do. And we never ever adjust from it. We do what we do and nothing different. A mono stricken, subpar QB and a god awful head coach in Gase easily figured us out. Clap clap clap

Darnold is a reserved guy and you typically have to pry his mouth open to get anything out of it. 

This quote speaks volumes. 

14 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Our Dallas Cowboys ladies and gentleman. This whole league knows exactly what we do. And we never ever adjust from it. We do what we do and nothing different. A mono stricken, subpar QB and a god awful head coach in Gase easily figured us out. Clap clap clap

Wow

1.) blocking futureman has lowered my blood pressure when reading these threads.  he is an excellent troll.

2.) with competent coaching or a fucking kicker we'd be 6-0.  

3.) officiating is bad across the league but holy shit.  Saints game, 4th and 1 close to halftime when zeke's elbow was down.  3 point to 10 point swing.  Yesterday's offensive pass interference call on Witten's TD, and the non-call on Witten on the 2 point conversion.  

Shades of Jon Kitna cackling on the radio at how easy it was to crack Parcells’ defense.  Remember that stretch to close his last year when we gave up like 8 TDs to fullbacks or something?  Anacardo Farm remembers. Ironically Jon works for us now; I wonder if he’s flashing back too.

Parcells was done after that.  We’ll see how the worm turns with this one.  

Here's the thing. A lot of shit going on yesterday. The Jets aren't great but they're definitely a completely different team with Darnold under center compared to the shit they were running out there yesterday. But the thing is these are not things EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL go through and yet they're able to coach/play around them and win games. We don't seem to ever do that. Ever.

• Both starting tackles out vs blitz-happy D-coordinator -- BETTER COACHING CAN HELP SCHEME AROUND SHORT-COMINGS
  • QB who might not be the one to lead this team to promised land -- does he need everything to be perfect for him to be elite?  If so, that's a problem. (Get used to Dak as QB because there isn't anything we can do about it at this point -- HARD TO BLAME A PLAYER FOR SIMPLY NOT BEING BETTER THAN HE IS EXCEPT IN RARE CIRCUMSTANCES. IS HE A TOP 5 QB? ABSOLUTELY NOT. HE'S PROBABLY AT MINIMUM A TOP HALF OF NFL QB BUT DO YOU REALLY WANT TO GIVE THAT GUY $30M.
  • Connor Williams and La'el Collins should probably flip spots on the line -- AGAIN, THIS IS ON THE COACHING (OR THE GM)
  • Amari Cooper gets hurt on the first drive and does not come back -- DUMB LUCK AS HE'S WITHOUT QUESTION OUR #1 RECEIVER
  • Poor call by the refs negating a TD pass to Witten and Garret (probably wisely) doesn't bother with a challenge -- BAD LUCK
  • Frustrating PK who can make from 62 but routinely misses "money" kicks inside 45 yards -- POOR GM
  • DeMarcus Lawrence is basically a no-show to this point after signing his big extension -- GM MISTAKE OR IS THIS ON DLAW FOR NOT DOING SURGERY UNTIL HE GOT PAID
  • Jaylon Smith and LVE seem to have regressed -- BLAME MARINELLI
  • Jeff Heath is our starting safety -- 100% FRONT OFFICE/GM FUCKUP; I WONDER HOW MUCH DIFFERENT WE'D LOOK WITH EARL THOMAS QB'ING THE DEFENSE
  • Anthony Brown plays a lot more than he probably should -- MORE GM DUMB-FUCKERY
  • The aforementioned Darnold calls out Dallas schemes basically saying there's no effort to perhaps mask what we're doing EVER -- THIS FALLS SOLELY ON GARRETT

53 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Here's the thing. A lot of shit going on yesterday. The Jets aren't great but they're definitely a completely different team with Darnold under center compared to the shit they were running out there yesterday. But the thing is these are not things EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL go through and yet they're able to coach/play around them and win games. We don't seem to ever do that. Ever.

• Both starting tackles out vs blitz-happy D-coordinator -- BETTER COACHING CAN HELP SCHEME AROUND SHORT-COMINGS
  • QB who might not be the one to lead this team to promised land -- does he need everything to be perfect for him to be elite?  If so, that's a problem. (Get used to Dak as QB because there isn't anything we can do about it at this point -- HARD TO BLAME A PLAYER FOR SIMPLY NOT BEING BETTER THAN HE IS EXCEPT IN RARE CIRCUMSTANCES. IS HE A TOP 5 QB? ABSOLUTELY NOT. HE'S PROBABLY AT MINIMUM A TOP HALF OF NFL QB BUT DO YOU REALLY WANT TO GIVE THAT GUY $30M.
  • Connor Williams and La'el Collins should probably flip spots on the line -- AGAIN, THIS IS ON THE COACHING (OR THE GM)
  • Amari Cooper gets hurt on the first drive and does not come back -- DUMB LUCK AS HE'S WITHOUT QUESTION OUR #1 RECEIVER
  • Poor call by the refs negating a TD pass to Witten and Garret (probably wisely) doesn't bother with a challenge -- BAD LUCK
  • Frustrating PK who can make from 62 but routinely misses "money" kicks inside 45 yards -- POOR GM
  • DeMarcus Lawrence is basically a no-show to this point after signing his big extension -- GM MISTAKE OR IS THIS ON DLAW FOR NOT DOING SURGERY UNTIL HE GOT PAID
  • Jaylon Smith and LVE seem to have regressed -- BLAME MARINELLI
  • Jeff Heath is our starting safety -- 100% FRONT OFFICE/GM FUCKUP; I WONDER HOW MUCH DIFFERENT WE'D LOOK WITH EARL THOMAS QB'ING THE DEFENSE
  • Anthony Brown plays a lot more than he probably should -- MORE GM DUMB-FUCKERY
  • The aforementioned Darnold calls out Dallas schemes basically saying there's no effort to perhaps mask what we're doing EVER -- THIS FALLS SOLELY ON GARRETT

We also were down Randall Cobb.  The really concerning trends L-T are failure to get stronger up the middle -- 1 tech and safety.  Failure to add to the secondary another developing or legit CB.  Our ST's are poor.  Not worst in the league or anything but they aren't good.  And people focus in on Zeke, but where the fuck is DLaw.  He had surgery so a slow start was probably anticipated but 6 games in and he's a ghost.  9 total tackles and 2.5 sacks for a guy who's been extended as a top 5 pass rusher isn't good enough.  He needs to go beserk these last 10 games.  I anticipate Amari will be out this week which will give him 3 weeks to get ready for NY so Gallup will need to step up.  I think we'll get Tyronn and Cobb back but our defense needs to play better. 

Statistical issues:  We give up 4.2 YPC.  We're 28th in turnovers averaging less than 1 per game.  31st in penalty yardage per game (which means we're giving up big penalties for first downs).  We've played 3 tomato cans and a team with their backup QB.  We should be more dominant.  Offensively, we have a TE issue.  Witten is doing what he can but Jarwin can't block and he had 1 drop and another where he could have made a better play on the ball.  Our WRs (when healthy) are a solid group but blocking and receiving we need an upgrade at that position.  If we're going to refuse to play Connor at tackle, we have to, have to, have to start developing an OT in next year's draft.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Yes Dak should definitely shoulder some of the blame but the offensive scheme and playcalling doesn’t really do him any favors or maximize his strengths. What happened to all the motion and RPOs from the first few games? The offense has gotten increasingly more vanilla throughout the season which points to Garrett meddling more with the offensive playcalling and gameplanning as Tony alluded to yesterday

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

You know I'm not a huge Dak homer. But there was plenty of blame to go around yesterday, including Dak.

yeah but you’re blaming the front office and the coach.  they’re not playing on the field.  we have a good roster with good players.  the 49ers were missing both their starting OT and beat the brakes off the rams in LA yesterday.  garoppolo looks capable of earning his contract.  literally every single time in dak’s career that his supporting cast has not been fully healthy and firing on all cylinders he has been TERRIBLE.  a competent qb with a healthy zeke elliot would simply find a way to win these games.  dak is very simply not a competent quarterback. 

Is it the QB? Is it the red-haired coach? Is it the defense? Is it Jerry?

Ever consider that it's all of them. We have more than one problem.

And why would Lincoln Riley choose to come here? If he wants to go to the NFL, he'll have more than one opportunity. Why pick the one where the skeletal, deranged owner/GM insists on being the focus of attention and has a long history of neutering head coaches, as well as trying to low ball them on their initial contract?

Just now, futureman said:

yeah but you’re blaming the front office and the coach.  they’re not playing on the field.  we have a good roster with good players.  the 49ers were missing both their starting OT and beat the brakes off the rams in LA yesterday.  garoppolo looks capable of earning his contract.  literally every single time in dak’s career that his supporting cast has not been fully healthy and firing on all cylinders he has been TERRIBLE.  a competent qb with a healthy zeke elliot would simply find a way to win these games.  dak is very simply not a competent quarterback. 

What I'm saying is that's a mix of everything -- players not performing well, coaches not coaching well and front office making eval/priority decisions. Unfortunately, we don't have rock stars in the coaching or front office portion of the team to help overcome days when the players aren't up to snuff.

I know it's your bit but it's not simply "Dak's fault."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

know it's your bit but it's not simply "Dak's fault."

yeah it’s not that much of a bit.  our roster is not bad.  will mcclay has done a decent job building this team, and we certainly have players good enough to win.  with a decent roster your quarterback should be able to cover up some deficiencies, but instead he exacerbates them.  he’s not a winner and doesn’t deserve a contract that will destroy the future of the team.  that’s really all I’m worked up about, I don’t think he’s worth setting this team back for a decade with a $200MM deal.  if he would play for what he’s worth, which is a qb who absolutely needs elite talent around him to be above replacement level, roughly $10MM a year, I’d support the guy.  but he’s holding out for >$35MM a season so he can go fuck himself. 

Garrett being a middle of the pack head coach doesn't help. 

Identifying talent through the draft? Pretty good.

Deciding who to pay, how much, and when has been terrible. Giving a running back in 2019 the most money ever is just bad roster building though. Zeke averaged 3.8 yards a carry yesterday against one of the worst defenses in the NFL and people said he had a good day. Now I think it was more on the OL but that kind of proves the point.

Can bitch about Dak all you want but Jerry is gonna give him a big deal.

34 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

Is it the QB? Is it the red-haired coach? Is it the defense? Is it Jerry?

Ever consider that it's all of them. We have more than one problem.

And why would Lincoln Riley choose to come here? If he wants to go to the NFL, he'll have more than one opportunity. Why pick the one where the skeletal, deranged owner/GM insists on being the focus of attention and has a long history of neutering head coaches, as well as trying to low ball them on their initial contract?

$100M maybe? There's definitely job security. Jerry has kept around an average-at-best coach for 10 full seasons. I'm sure Riley would command $10M/year.

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

$100M maybe? There's definitely job security. Jerry has kept around an average-at-best coach for 10 full seasons. I'm sure Riley would command $10M/year.

There isn't job security. Jerry keeps Jason around because he wants to show the world that he built a championship contender while nurturing his hand-picked puppet of a coach along. That would be his way of refuting those who credit Jimmy Johnson for those long ago Super Bowl wins, which matters to Jerry more than anything. A coach who comes in with a real reputation will inevitably be seen as the force behind improvement and become a threat to Jerry. Such a coach will not be given an endless run like Jason. Rather, they're at risk of Jerry making the job intolerable to run them off early so he can install another hand-picked puppet and go after his white whale again.

Jerry accepted Parcells because he needed some credibility after squandering his own so that he could grease the skids for building Jerry World. He certainly didn't try to sustain that as a long-term relationship. Now he has Jerry World, so he doesn't need anybody for anything. Lincoln Riley doesn't seem to be stupid, so he'll certainly be pondering our history under Skeletor if he's ever even offered the job. 

Jerry needs to realize that Garrett is a slightly better version of Jeff Fisher- he is career .500 coach and that’s all he’ll ever be despite given the tools to succeed.

Jerry really needs to unload Garrett immediately and hire a young offensive genius (i.e. Riley) like kroenke did with Mcveigh or he’ll never win another championship before he dies.

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Jerry needs to realize that Garrett is a slightly better version of Jeff Fisher- he is career .500 coach and that’s all he’ll ever be despite given the tools to succeed.

Jerry really needs to unload Garrett immediately and hire a young offensive genius (i.e. Riley) like kroenke did with Mcveigh or he’ll never win another championship before he dies.

Again, I don't think Jerry's approach to this is at all rational, so attempting to attribute normal thinking about success to him is pointless. 

Jerry doesn't want someone who is already recognized as an offensive genius, who brings heightened expectations with them. He doesn't want to win with people talking about how great his coach is. Jerry wants to win with people talking about how great Jerry is. He's clung to Jason precisely because no one thinks Jason is anything special. Win a Super Bowl with Jason and he can hog all the credit while simultaneously insisting this is just like 1992 when Jerry, in his mind, created a Super Bowl team with a college coach who went 1-15 his first year.   

Going for it on 4th and 2 down 7-3 was just full regard, especially with two backup tackles, no Cobb in the mix and Cooper already out, limiting their play options that much more. The transpiring moments turned the rest of the game into a panic situation they were not prepared for. It's not like Red J didn't have a recent sample of terrible in-game decisions. It was almost a replay of the previous week, when he admitted he didn't have the team ready to play. And the week before that was not a stellar performance, either.

It spells real problems when team can't be ready to get back on track against the worst team int he NFL after two devastating losses to good teams.

Garrett likely won't be fired during the season, but this one may have finally given Jerry a hair trigger to pull at the end of the season unless shit turns around 180 degrees pretty quick.