2018 - Elections and Trends

atomheartbevo

lol My dad is so pissed that Gillum actually has a shot to win.

And, not completely off topic, but I was telling my dad what a pain it’s been for my son to get a replacement license. He was incensed when I told him it’s become a giant pain in the ass since Alabama closed down a large number of the DMV offices.

I told him trying to disenfranchise certain voters can have a negative impact on everyone.

He couldn’t change the topic fast enough.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

And, not completely off topic, but I was telling my dad what a pain it’s been for my son to get a replacement license. He was incensed when I told him it’s become a giant pain in the ass since Alabama closed down a large number of the DMV offices.

I told him trying to disenfranchise certain voters can have a negative impact on everyone.

Amazing how fast they change the subject when you start presenting facts to them. I have been told to swear off politics at family gatherings, but if that seal gets broken by the other side I have bullet points at the ready and gas in the tank to head to the house. No prisoners.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

I’d say more than a chance. Gillum is the clear favorite at this point. Still need people to turn out tho.

21 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Biggest paper in Arizona gave it's endorsement.....

I think it’s clear that a majority of Americans want to see a check on trump, but the big question is will they vote and vote in the right areas?

trumpkins are a combination of hard right evangelical crazies, bitter retirees who watch tv all day, miserable poor people who hate life / live in trailers, and trolls who like to see democrats upset / lose at the polls. Those people will turn out no matter freaking what. Need normal and sane people to freaking vote this year.

13 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:
24 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:
Think we will see the orange turd go to Florida this week to try and boost up his acolyte?

Hopefully. The less time he's trying to pretend to be president the better

I heard he mainly plays golf, eats McDonald’s, sleeps, or does “executive time” 8-10 hours a day.

i think executive time for trump means he literally watches 5 different political channels at once on 5 different tv’s. Yelling and screaming at them like an orangutan when they say something he doesn’t like. 

Keep in mind, this is the same guy who paid a staffer whose ONLY job was to compile newspaper reports that say something positive about the trump administration, put them in a folder, and present them to him at the end of the day. This guy is a 70 year old manchild. He wants to be popular and loved, but it’s never going to happen. I bet his approval rating never gets over 50%.

Edited by Voldemort86

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah, every time the subject of photo ID for voting comes up, I'm quick to tel the story of the 4 hours I spent at the Bexar County DMV and the stack of papers I had to bring only to be told I was missing something and had to come back the next day.  No one ever seems to have a response.

The go to move has always been to pass the photo ID law first and then start making it impossible to get a photo ID.

5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, every time the subject of photo ID for voting comes up, I'm quick to tel the story of the 4 hours I spent at the Bexar County DMV and the stack of papers I had to bring only to be told I was missing something and had to come back the next day.  No one ever seems to have a response.

The go to move has always been to pass the photo ID law first and then start making it impossible to get a photo ID.

What stack of papers do y'all have to bring to get a license/ID out there?  Out here it is just your birth certificate or passport and then something like an electric or other utility bill (phone, etc) showing you now live here.  This has been the case when I moved from WV to PA and also to VA where I currently keep my residency.  

32 minutes ago, Whitman said:

What stack of papers do y'all have to bring to get a license/ID out there?  Out here it is just your birth certificate or passport and then something like an electric or other utility bill (phone, etc) showing you now live here.  This has been the case when I moved from WV to PA and also to VA where I currently keep my residency.  

I had to bring two forms of valid ID and no, a passport was not considered "valid."  I had a valid driver's license and a photo ID issued the US government but in Texas, they needed something to prove your SSN belonged to you.  I also had to bring 2 or documents showing I lived where I said I did.  (Utility bills and what not.)  Since they would not accept a passport, I had to go back the next day with a copy of my tax return, showing my SSN.  

The other issue was the wait time.  There was only one DMV office in Bexar County at the time so the wait could easily be 3-4 hours.  (They've since built a second one.)

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I had to bring two forms of valid ID and no, a passport was not considered "valid."  I had a valid driver's license and a photo ID issued the US government but in Texas, they needed something to prove your SSN belonged to you.  I also had to bring 2 or documents showing I lived where I said I did.  (Utility bills and what not.)  Since they would not accept a passport, I had to go back the next day with a copy of my tax return, showing my SSN.  

The other issue was the wait time.  There was only one DMV office in Bexar County at the time so the wait could easily be 3-4 hours.  (They've since built a second one.)

I just got my renewal notice in the mail and it said:

-Valid ID (current/unexpired DL is acceptable)

-Proof of SSN

-Proof of citizenship (US passport works for this one or birth certificate)

If you lose everything in a fire or hurricane, you are looking at months to get all of the necessary paperwork back together.  It’s easy to say just produce your birth certificate or passport, until you don’t have them.  

And if utility bill is in someone’s else’s name (common for poor people) the dps office still needs more proof you live there.  What ever happened to believing your citizens that they live where they say they live?  I’m telling you that I live at 123 Elm St.  that should be enough for you.  Why would I lie?  

I know these are all poor peoples problems but that is why many complain about voter id laws.  They punish the poor for being poor.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Early voting at Randall’s in West Lake Hills at 8:05 on the first day of early voting:

e75349294146ba4420334c218f06255e.jpg

Lot of suburban women look real eager to vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well they do find Ted dreamy, like a 50s movie star.

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

Well, the gal in front of me was streaming MSNBC while in line, so I feel pretty good about her vote.

Scouting the enemy, obviously.

I'm on your side, bro.  These women aren't showing up to vote for the Zodiac Killer/Trump's bitch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

And if utility bill is in someone’s else’s name (common for poor people) the dps office still needs more proof you live there.  What ever happened to believing your citizens that they live where they say they live?  I’m telling you that I live at 123 Elm St.  that should be enough for you.  Why would I lie?  

I know these are all poor peoples problems but that is why many complain about voter id laws.  They punish the poor for being poor.

It is not uncommon out here for people to lie about their address to get their kid into a different school system (even one right across the state line if it is much better).  I would love to know why a passport isn't accepted as proof of identity when it is a photo id and what it takes to get one.  

Well, the gal in front of me was streaming MSNBC while in line, so I feel pretty good about her vote.

Their hubbies aren’t with them, don’t sell them short. Women are crafty and will say one thing and do another.

Fight Fascism ! One sneaky suburban vote at a time!

21 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Don’t these people realize that early voting lasts through Nov 2, the polls are usually open til 5, that there are multiple locations to vote early, an that you don’t get extra points for being among the first to vote?

I like getting it out of the way. 

51 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Don’t these people realize that early voting lasts through Nov 2, the polls are usually open til 5, that there are multiple locations to vote early, an that you don’t get extra points for being among the first to vote?

extra social media points

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

Many anti-Trump people have been waiting for close to 2 years to have their voices heard.    And yes, there are people on the other side that want to show their enthusiasm for Trump.  It's always great to see people in line for voting.

If you care about who you're voting for, there are two good reasons to vote as early as possible:

1) It helps your candidate.  Every day, the campaigns will get a report showing who voted.  Once they see that you voted, they can cross your name off their GOTV list.  That lets them use those resources on someone else who hasn't voted (and may not otherwise vote without that outreach).

2) You could die.  There is a certain percentage of the population that will die over the next two weeks, and while the odds are that you won't be one of them, you could be.  So if you care about what happens even if you're not still around, you might want to lock it in.

• Like 1

C'mon, man. People are excited and determined to vote. This is a good thing. 

11 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

If you care about who you're voting for, there are two good reasons to vote as early as possible:

1) It helps your candidate.  Every day, the campaigns will get a report showing who voted.  Once they see that you voted, they can cross your name off their GOTV list.  That lets them use those resources on someone else who hasn't voted (and may not otherwise vote without that outreach).

2) You could die.  There is a certain percentage of the population that will die over the next two weeks, and while the odds are that you won't be one of them, you could be.  So if you care about what happens even if you're not still around, you might want to lock it in.

3) I feel like if the early voting is reported and the initial push/reporting is strong, it could drive some momentum/enthusiasm and uptick in voting too. Think of like when a movie release for Thursday showings and they can extrapolate the full earnings of the full release weekend. If the Thursday tickets are fewer (voting is fewer) or more (more people turn out) the overall earnings are adjusted because positive buzz/energy drives some more activity.

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

3) I feel like if the early voting is reported and the initial push/reporting is strong, it could drive some momentum/enthusiasm and uptick in voting too. Think of like when a movie release for Thursday showings and they can extrapolate the full earnings of the full release weekend. If the Thursday tickets are fewer (voting is fewer) or more (more people turn out) the overall earnings are adjusted because positive buzz/energy drives some more activity.

An excellent point.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

I just got my renewal notice in the mail and it said:

-Valid ID (current/unexpired DL is acceptable)

-Proof of SSN

-Proof of citizenship (US passport works for this one or birth certificate)

Maybe mine was different because I moved from out of state so it wasn't a renewal.  Then, I remember I had to wait a week until they mailed it me.  (What if a voter doesn't have a permanent address?)

The constitution is pretty clear about who has the right to vote and I don't remember reading anything about a valid mailing address or utility bill.