Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

50 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Calm down, the same is true conversely with the average recruiting board poster when they venture to the football board. It's actually quite the interesting dynamic of this board.

Dunning-Kruger effect intensifies. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, elguapo said:

The recruiting board is by far the most informed and intelligent when it comes to Texas football as a whole, not just recruiting. We are used to posters like you who show their total ignorance by constantly spewing shit ass opinions and then get all defensive when they get called out for it.

If you don't want to get called out as being an idiot on the recruiting board then I suggest you either know what the fuck you're talking about or lurk and learn something so that when you do post you aren't so obviously uninformed about basically everything.

It’s just more entertaining to occasionally drive by and get all of you riled up over nothing. I should let y’all get back to already blaming Terry Joseph. Carry on

Wells

Spoiler

WR Ashton Cozart, Richland (Richland Hills, TX) - 2023:

The list of truly talented wideouts in Texas for 2023 continues to grow. While the former Seattle-based prospect likes the West Coast, you can say he's getting used to football in the Lone Star State.

The 6-foot-2, 175-pound four-star has embraced his new home and thrived on the camp circuit. Florida, Penn State, and Florida State are among his 18 offers, and he's set to see Texas in June for a Junior Day.

"I'll be in Austin on (June) 12th," said Cozart. "I'll be in Florida on June 1st, then Alabama on June 19th."

He ran a 10.74 100m as a sophomore, and that speed and body control often separates him from the pack. Texas has taken notice. His expectations are wide open.

"To be honest, I have no clue what to expect," Cozart said about what he wants to see at UT. "This has all come really fast at me. I'll definitely be looking at what type of relationships I build within the staff. The energy and the vibe in the program is something I really look for. I don't focus on how big the facilities are or the gear, I really want to know how they will treat me as a person and my family."

Texas, TCU, Florida, Miami, and Florida State are pushing for Cozart, and he'd like to take a few more trips later this summer. But UT's message has remained the same.

"(Texas) staff talks to me a lot about things after college," Cozart said. "The staff talks about the players they've sent to the league, and that's definitely my ultimate goal."

You guys are just fucking brutal on BO&W. He's one of those posters where I generally don't have a negative view and then I see you assholes just fucking raging at him at times and I find myself thinking "what thread(s) did this guy post nudes of himself on in order to drive this kind of rabid response from these people?"

In short, you're all a bunch of meanies and BO&W seems fine enough. 

You guys are just fucking brutal on BO&W. He's one of those posters where I generally don't have a negative view and then I see you assholes just fucking raging at him at times and I find myself thinking "what thread(s) did this guy post nudes of himself on in order to drive this kind of rabid response from these people?"

You have never been more wrong.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Oh shit! Let me post a 10 second Twitter clip of a recruit at a camp! That will help my clout in the recruiting board!

only you would not understand why posting a twitter clip of a recruit at a camp in the recruiting board and in the relevant recruiting thread would be irrelevant.

19 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It’s just more entertaining to occasionally drive by and get all of you riled up over nothing. I should let y’all get back to already blaming Terry Joseph. Carry on

ah, i should have guessed you would get here. but i wouldn't have guessed it would have taken you only like 3 posts

5b52fc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

this post gave me Cancer, aids & ebola - this post gave me shit | Meme  Generator

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Texas summer visit mega-primer

Spoiler

JUNE 3RD

Allen (Texas) five-star defensive end David Hicks Jr.

This is a big visit for Texas as the Longhorns will host one of their top 2023 targets early in the summer. Hicks and his father are making a trip to Austin and should get some one-on-one time with the coaching staff before their official visitors arrive. Hicks is a must-land prospect for the Longhorns, and they will be one of the first schools to get a visit this summer.

JUNE 8
As Horns247 reported last week, elite Pacific Northwest 7v7 club Ford Sports Performance will be making a trip to Austin with several 2023 and 2024 prospects to put in front of the Texas coaches.  Several of these prospects already hold an offer while other's are still waiting for one.  For more detail on that trip, read the original story we wrote along with Brandon Huffman to talk about each prospect on the trip.

JUNE 11-13

2023 VISIT WEEKEND
While the official visit weekend might be small on this date, the group of 2023 prospects Texas will host is pretty big. Kudos to the staff for getting proactive and putting together a group of top juniors while hosting their officials.

New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman five-star quarterback Arch Manning

Obviously, the crown-jewel of the 2023 class for the Longhorns. Texas is one of the first visits Manning will have the chance to take, and the Longhorns are looking to make a great first impression. Up until this point, Texas has been able to put the program in a strong position, and they are hoping they can push that momentum even farther with a strong visit.

El Campo (Texas) five-star running back Rueben Owens

This is yet another pivotal visit as Texas is going to have to work hard to keep its lone 2023 commit following a summer full of visits. Owens is a key piece to that class because of his immense talent and influence he has within the 2023 class.

DeSoto (Texas) four-star wide receiver Johntay Cook

If the Longhorns want to start building top priorities at each position, Cook would be at the top for receivers. Texas has been all in on the DeSoto playmaker and pushing to get him into the class. They won’t likely land him this summer, but the Longhorns are at the top of his list and could create his separation.

North Richland Hills (Texas) three-star wide receiver Ashton Cozart

Another top wide receiver in the 2023 class, Cozart is getting to experience the college visit process for the first time this summer. Cozart holds nearly 20 offers, and Texas could make its mark with him on this visit.

Odessa (Texas) Permian four-star offensive guard Harris Sewell

Sewell emerged as one of the top offensive linemen in the country this spring and picked up a huge host of offers. With 20 schools in on the west Texas offensive lineman including heavyweights like Alabama, LSU and Notre Dame, Texas will need to establish position early.

Denton (Texas) Ryan five-star EDGE Anthony Hill

Since Steve Sarkisian took over, there has been a ton of progress with the relationship between the Longhorns and the state’s top prospect. Texas became a real player in the last few months, and hosting Hill and his family can only help if everything goes well.

Houston (Texas) C.E. King four-star defensive end Dylan Spencer

We are still checking to see if Spencer plans to make this trip. The last time we spoke to him it sounded like Texas was fading in his mind while Texas A&M seemed to be pushing to the forefront. Texas will have a chance to get back in on Spencer if he makes it to campus.

Cypress (Texas) Ranch four-star defensive end Ashton Porter

Another top defensive line target for the Longhorns, Porter is another opportunity for the Longhorns to make a splash with a highly-regarded 2023 prospect. Texas made a big impact on Porter when they offered him in the spring, and they can build on that if he likes what he sees in Austin.

Arlington (Texas) Martin four-star cornerback Javien Toviano

Toviano is one of the top overall 2023 prospects in the state of Texas, and the Longhorns have been involved in his recruitment for a while. With former teammate Morice Blackwell on campus and current teammate Trevell Johnson currently committed, Texas has a great shot to land Toviano.

Shiner (Texas) four-star athlete Dalton Brooks

Brooks doesn’t talk much, but we’ve heard that Texas is an offer he’s always desired. Though Brooks has picked up several big offers including Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU and Georgia, Texas can establish something with him once they host him on campus.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Texas summer visit mega-primer

Hide contents

JUNE 3RD

Allen (Texas) five-star defensive end David Hicks Jr.

This is a big visit for Texas as the Longhorns will host one of their top 2023 targets early in the summer. Hicks and his father are making a trip to Austin and should get some one-on-one time with the coaching staff before their official visitors arrive. Hicks is a must-land prospect for the Longhorns, and they will be one of the first schools to get a visit this summer.

JUNE 8
As Horns247 reported last week, elite Pacific Northwest 7v7 club Ford Sports Performance will be making a trip to Austin with several 2023 and 2024 prospects to put in front of the Texas coaches.  Several of these prospects already hold an offer while other's are still waiting for one.  For more detail on that trip, read the original story we wrote along with Brandon Huffman to talk about each prospect on the trip.

JUNE 11-13

2023 VISIT WEEKEND
While the official visit weekend might be small on this date, the group of 2023 prospects Texas will host is pretty big. Kudos to the staff for getting proactive and putting together a group of top juniors while hosting their officials.

New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman five-star quarterback Arch Manning

Obviously, the crown-jewel of the 2023 class for the Longhorns. Texas is one of the first visits Manning will have the chance to take, and the Longhorns are looking to make a great first impression. Up until this point, Texas has been able to put the program in a strong position, and they are hoping they can push that momentum even farther with a strong visit.

El Campo (Texas) five-star running back Rueben Owens

This is yet another pivotal visit as Texas is going to have to work hard to keep its lone 2023 commit following a summer full of visits. Owens is a key piece to that class because of his immense talent and influence he has within the 2023 class.

DeSoto (Texas) four-star wide receiver Johntay Cook

If the Longhorns want to start building top priorities at each position, Cook would be at the top for receivers. Texas has been all in on the DeSoto playmaker and pushing to get him into the class. They won’t likely land him this summer, but the Longhorns are at the top of his list and could create his separation.

North Richland Hills (Texas) three-star wide receiver Ashton Cozart

Another top wide receiver in the 2023 class, Cozart is getting to experience the college visit process for the first time this summer. Cozart holds nearly 20 offers, and Texas could make its mark with him on this visit.

Odessa (Texas) Permian four-star offensive guard Harris Sewell

Sewell emerged as one of the top offensive linemen in the country this spring and picked up a huge host of offers. With 20 schools in on the west Texas offensive lineman including heavyweights like Alabama, LSU and Notre Dame, Texas will need to establish position early.

Denton (Texas) Ryan five-star EDGE Anthony Hill

Since Steve Sarkisian took over, there has been a ton of progress with the relationship between the Longhorns and the state’s top prospect. Texas became a real player in the last few months, and hosting Hill and his family can only help if everything goes well.

Houston (Texas) C.E. King four-star defensive end Dylan Spencer

We are still checking to see if Spencer plans to make this trip. The last time we spoke to him it sounded like Texas was fading in his mind while Texas A&M seemed to be pushing to the forefront. Texas will have a chance to get back in on Spencer if he makes it to campus.

Cypress (Texas) Ranch four-star defensive end Ashton Porter

Another top defensive line target for the Longhorns, Porter is another opportunity for the Longhorns to make a splash with a highly-regarded 2023 prospect. Texas made a big impact on Porter when they offered him in the spring, and they can build on that if he likes what he sees in Austin.

Arlington (Texas) Martin four-star cornerback Javien Toviano

Toviano is one of the top overall 2023 prospects in the state of Texas, and the Longhorns have been involved in his recruitment for a while. With former teammate Morice Blackwell on campus and current teammate Trevell Johnson currently committed, Texas has a great shot to land Toviano.

Shiner (Texas) four-star athlete Dalton Brooks

Brooks doesn’t talk much, but we’ve heard that Texas is an offer he’s always desired. Though Brooks has picked up several big offers including Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU and Georgia, Texas can establish something with him once they host him on campus.

Has Anthony Hill always been considered an edge rusher?

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

We get a question mark? The fuck?

Three possibilities:

1. He's building contingencies in case some of his schedule falls through so as to make sure he visits UT last.

2. The question mark is about number of days to spend in Austin. Will it be two or three or more?

3. We're screwed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

The Courting of Arch Manning: ‘I’m wide, wide open’

By Jeff Duncancomment-icon.png 13 save-icon.png

It was a hazy summer day in June 2019 when Arch Manning, the grandson of Archie, son of Cooper and nephew of Eli and Peyton, took the field at LSU’s annual 7-on-7 passing camp. It is a routine stop for many of Louisiana’s top high school prospects, and yet there was something different about the camp that day, and everyone felt it.

The scion of America’s most famous quarterbacking family was stepping into the light.

Cumulus clouds billowed high above the Ponderosa as Arch took the field for the first time as Newman’s starting quarterback. The throws were crisp. The form was textbook. You didn’t have to play or coach in the NFL or be a recruiting coordinator to recognize that Arch was the proverbial total package, a tantalizing mash-up of Archie’s running skills, Cooper’s athleticism, Eli’s poise and Peyton’s processing power.

As the Manning clan watched the action from a golf cart on the sideline, a steady stream of LSU coaches and staff members approached the family. LSU head coach Ed Orgeron chatted up Archie. Then-passing game coordinator Joe Brady talked ball with Cooper. Offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger and running backs coach Mickey Joseph visited with Arch’s mother, Ellen. Joe Burrow, not yet a Heisman Trophy winner, dropped by to introduce himself.

It was a purple-and-gold Welcome Wagon, the (unofficial) beginning of the Tigers’ push to land Arch, the most coveted quarterback prospect in decades. Though he had yet to enter the ninth grade, his helmet dwarfing his rail-thin, 14-year-old frame, everyone understood — even Arch — that the green flag had dropped on one of the most anticipated recruiting races since “The Courting of Marcus Dupree.”

“That was when I knew that this recruiting thing was kind of cranking up,” Manning told The Athletic in mid-May.

Two years later, as the top-ranked quarterback in the Class of 2023 and the progeny of football royalty, Manning has become the focal point of the greatest manhunt in college football history. He has mushroomed into a 6-foot-4, 200-pound superstar, a can’t-miss prospect who is already shattering the passing records set by his famous uncles at Newman.

And the most intriguing aspect of his recruitment?

There is no favorite. Just about every major school — Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Stanford, Texas and Virginia, among others — has a chance.

Said Manning: “I’m wide, wide open.”

The Manning brand alone makes Arch’s recruitment front-page news in the college football world. But the family’s careful management of the process, a COVID-addled news cycle and Arch’s restricted social media presence have combined to amplify the thrill of the chase.

“There’s another one: Notre Dame,” Newman coach Nelson Stewart said, pointing to the text message on the screen during a recent interview at the school’s Uptown New Orleans campus. “Everybody wants to see him. I had five schools call today: ‘Please, please, let us in.’ There’s only so much he can do.”

As the designated gatekeeper for Manning’s recruitment, Stewart finds himself in the eye of a daily storm of phone calls, text messages and interview requests. His days are dominated by three things: his family; his football team; and Manning. And not necessarily in that order.

A former walk-on lineman at Tulane University, Stewart is familiar with high-profile recruitments. He coached Odell Beckham Jr. and was Peyton Manning’s teammate at Newman. During his 16-year coaching tenure at Newman, Stewart has sent several players to Division I schools. But Manning’s recruitment is “unlike anything I’ve ever seen,” he said.

To secure an audience with Manning, coaches must go through Stewart, who has set aside a pair of windows around lunchtime and at dusk to schedule appointments. He has become a master at divvying up the meetups with the fleet of high-profile suitors, among them: Mack Brown (North Carolina); Brian Kelly (Notre Dame); Lane Kiffin (Ole Miss); Ed Orgeron; Nick Saban (Alabama); Steve Sarkisian (Texas); David Shaw (Stanford); Kirby Smart (Georgia); and Dabo Swinney (Clemson).

“We have a way that we do it, and I think the lore of the Mannings has made everyone really respect the process,” Stewart said. “We don’t want to make him accessible all the time. He’s still a 16-year-old kid.”

Stewart recently had to purchase a new cellphone to accommodate the demands. He limits the early window to eight- to 10-minute Facetime calls in his office. Longer video conferences are scheduled for evenings and conducted from Manning’s home.

When the process began last season, Cooper asked Stewart if he could “make this like a 1970s recruitment.” The recruiting landscape has changed dramatically since they were prep prospects, and they want to manage the mayhem as best as they can. They have limited Arch’s media appearances and distributed his phone number to only a few select coaches. Posts about Manning’s scholarship offers permeate social media, but they don’t come from Manning, who is not on Twitter and maintains a private Instagram account only to keep up with friends.

“With some kids sometimes, offers are almost like patches on a leather jacket, and you’re just keeping count,” Stewart said. “He doesn’t do that. I don’t think there’s any other kid nationally at his level that’s that way. He’s not one of these kids that needs to hear everything that’s going to be done for him. He’s almost a throwback, like an ‘80s jock, but in a good way.”

Manning-family-e1572835927230.jpeg
(2016 photo: Manning Passing Academy)

To get a bead on where Arch Manning is going, it helps to know where his story began.

By virtue of his ancestry, Manning’s name and connections have provided him more natural resources than perhaps any quarterback in history and granted him entrée into a world most of his peers can only dream about.

That no member of the state’s most famous football family has attended LSU is a longstanding source of bewilderment for longtime Tigers fans.

“It is one of the huge ironies in Louisiana football history,” said T-Bob Hebert, a former LSU center and the host of “Off the Bench,” a popular sports talk radio show in Baton Rouge, and The Athletic’s “Hold That Podcast.” “You have quite literally a Hall of Fame family in a state where there’s only one flagship institution and not a single one of the family went there.”

Part of that can be explained by Manning’s school, which is better known for producing National Merit scholars than 5-star football prospects.

Newman School has long been the place where the families of New Orleans’ affluent Uptown neighborhood send their children to be educated and is widely regarded as the most prestigious private school in Louisiana. Its alumni include journalist Walter Isaacson, author Michael Lewis and actor Bryan Batt, and its tuition averages about $25,000 annually. Drew Brees’ children attended the school during his tenure with the New Orleans Saints. Zion Williamson’s little brother, Noah, is enrolled there.

Newman graduates regularly matriculate to Ivy League schools or private liberal arts colleges. In the past four years, only 13 percent of Newman’s 343 graduates chose to remain in Louisiana.

In the school’s long history, only two Greenies have signed to play football at LSU: wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and defensive back Ronnie Vinson.

In fact, LSU was never truly in the hunt for any of the Mannings. Peyton made several unofficial visits to Baton Rouge during his senior season but struck LSU from his list of finalists after fellow in-state, blue-chip quarterback Josh Booty committed to the Tigers. Peyton picked Tennessee over Ole Miss, Florida and Michigan.

Eli visited LSU but ultimately picked Ole Miss over Virginia and Texas with the Tigers distant also-rans. Archie didn’t receive a scholarship offer from LSU when he came out of Drew, Mississippi, in 1967. His three finalists were Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Tulane.

But those were the days when LSU football was run by defensive-minded coaches with antiquated offenses. The program is in a much different place than it was in the 1990s when Peyton and Eli starred at Newman. Burrow, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, and Brady changed the perception of the program, especially for quarterback prospects.

“It’s a credible quarterback school now,” said Billy Embody, who covers LSU recruiting for 247 Sports. “A decade ago you couldn’t have probably gotten any of these guys. If you’re a quarterback, this is the type of offense you want to be in.”

LSU’s intentions with Arch Manning are clear: The Tigers are going all in. Orgeron has personally overseen his recruitment since Day One. He was the first head coach to meet Arch in person when he visited Newman the week after winning the 2019 national championship. New offensive coordinator Jake Peetz has developed a good rapport with Manning over regular Zoom calls, and a handful of other Tigers assistants have also been involved.

What’s more, the Tigers have already received commitments from two of Arch’s upper-class teammates and close friends: offensive lineman Bo Bordelon and wide receiver AJ Johnson. Bordelon is Newman’s starting left tackle and the son of Ben Bordelon, a former LSU and NFL lineman and one of the program’s biggest boosters. Johnson, meanwhile, is a regular guest of the Mannings at their Uptown home. Arch’s best friend, Newman tight end Will Randle, is also being courted by LSU.

If Brady were still at LSU, the race for Manning might already be over. Manning himself calls Brady an offensive “mastermind,” but the Tigers former passing game coordinator bolted for the NFL after one season. So LSU did the next best thing: hired Peetz and DJ Mangas, a pair of offensive assistants with ties to Brady from the Carolina Panthers.

“Politically and symbolically, it could be a huge win if Coach O were able to bring the Mannings into the fold,” Hebert said. “To bring the first family of Louisiana football into LSU would be massive for the perception of the program.”

How the Tigers offense performs under Peetz and Mangas this season will go a long way in determining LSU’s chances with Manning.

Still, there are many in Baton Rouge who, because of the Mannings’ perceived indifference toward the program, are convinced LSU’s inclusion in the recruitment is purely ceremonial. Others believe Orgeron’s disastrous tenure as the head coach at Ole Miss will be the Tigers’ eventual undoing.

Because of these latent disadvantages, James Carville, an LSU graduate and lifelong supporter of the school’s athletic teams, said it would be “the biggest signing in the history of the Southeastern Conference” if Orgeron can upset the field and land Manning.

The weight of Manning’s recruitment carries similar gravity at Ole Miss.

The university’s longstanding ties to the Manning family give the Rebels an inherent edge. The family remains royalty in Oxford, where the speed limits on campus are still 18 and 10 miles per hour in honor of Archie and Eli’s retired Ole Miss jersey numbers.

Of all the schools in pursuit of Manning, Ole Miss is the one that Arch knows best. As a middle-schooler, he attended camp there when Matt Luke was coach, famously throwing routes to former Rebels receivers (and now NFL stars) A.J. Brown and DK Metcalf. The Mannings keep residences in Oxford and are regular visitors to the Grove on game days.

But the Rebels are far from a slam dunk. They have not been a factor in the SEC West in several years, and it’s unclear how the genteel Mannings feel about Rebels head coach Lane Kiffin, an unabashed firebrand who infamously spurned the University of Tennessee after one season. While Kiffin’s offensive prowess is well-regarded, the Lane Train’s cocksure personality is about as dissimilar from David Cutcliffe, the Mannings’ longtime mentor, as humanly possible. Some wonder if he will jibe with the conservative Manning ethos.

“It would be an incredible shot in the arm for Ole Miss to get him, not just because of the Manning name but also because he’s the real deal,” said Rick Cleveland, a former columnist at the Jackson (Miss.) Clarion-Ledger and longtime friend of the Manning family. “You go on an Ole Miss message board on any given day, and there’s somebody on there talking about him. The fans are so wrapped up in it, it’s unbelievable. There will be a meltdown if Ole Miss doesn’t get him.”

Meanwhile, the other legacy school in the mix, Tennessee, might be an even longer shot. The Volunteers are on their fourth coach in the past decade and are coming off their third losing season in the past four years. And Cutcliffe, the tie that originally bound the Mannings to Knoxville, is now the head coach at Duke.

“If the Mannings have shown you anything, it’s that the leadership means as much as anything to them,” said Jacob Hester, a former LSU running back who works alongside Hebert in the radio booth. “With the Mannings, I think it’s more about where the leadership and the program are at the time and not necessarily family ties to a school.”

ArchManning11.jpg
(Michael DeMocker for The Athletic)

June is a big month in Manning’s recruitment. The longest recruiting dead period in college football history ends on June 1, and the Mannings plan to use the month to tour several of the schools on Arch’s list for unofficial visits.

The plan is to visit Clemson during the first week of June, then hit SMU and Texas on the following weekend. Visits to Alabama and Georgia will follow on the final two weekends of the month. Trips to Notre Dame and Ohio State in the Midwest and Stanford and USC out West are on the wish list. The family would also like to visit Virginia, North Carolina, Duke and Tennessee if possible.

“It might be hard to get to them all, but we’re going to try,” Cooper said. “It’s important for him to get to see these campuses and get a feel for what they’re like. I had a coach tell me that by now he and Arch would have met six or seven times and he hasn’t met him once yet. This will give him a chance to interact with the coaches and get to know them better.”

It’s not by happenstance that Manning will camp at Clemson. The Tigers have developed a strong relationship with Manning and are serious contenders for his services. They have a national profile, a strong track record for developing elite quarterbacks and one of the best home atmospheres in college football. The school’s regional location and user-friendly, rural campus are also strong selling points.

“Clemson is not only throwing the ball a good bit, but they’re competing for ACC and national championships year in and year out under Dabo,” Rivals recruiting analyst Sam Spiegelman said. “The Clemson factor is going to be a part of this because they recruit a specific style, and I think that’ll catch the Mannings’ attention.”

Indeed, Swinney’s Mayberry magnetism and unique recruiting philosophy are tailor-made for the understated Mannings. The Tigers don’t accept transfers or junior college players, and they don’t offer scholarships to prep prospects until the summer before their junior years. They traditionally only sign one quarterback per signing class.

“They’re a little more old-school, and they’ve been winning, so it’s pretty doggone impressive,” Archie said.

Texas also has made a positive impression and is squarely in the hunt. Sarkisian’s relationship with Manning goes back to his time as offensive coordinator on the Alabama staff, and the bond has strengthened through regular Zoom calls this spring. Sark’s NFL pedigree and developmental work with Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones in Tuscaloosa are also significant assets. The Forty Acres’ proximity to New Orleans and Austin’s laid-back lifestyle certainly don’t hurt the Longhorns’ cause. A pair of Texas commitments in the 2023 class, Rueben Owens and Johntay Cook, have been recruiting Manning via group chat.

Georgia also can’t be discounted. The Bulldogs have a track record with elite quarterbacks, an offensive coordinator with NFL experience (Todd Monken) and a connection to the Mannings with Matt Luke, their offensive line coach. Georgia head coach Kirby Smart and Peyton Manning also have a longstanding relationship from their playing days together in the SEC. Likewise, Athens is regionally located and regarded as one of the best college towns in the nation.

And it would be foolish to rule out Alabama. The defending national champions are prioritizing Manning in the 2023 class. With Saban, offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien and defensive coordinator Pete Golding, the Tide staff is maintaining regular contact.

And then there are the perceived outsiders: Virginia, North Carolina, Notre Dame, SMU and Stanford. You could make a case for each as a neutral choice if Manning ventures outside the SEC for college.

Arch’s mother, Ellen, played volleyball at Virginia and his older sister, May, will begin her freshman year in Charlottesville this fall. Virginia boasts one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation and has already offered a scholarship to Randle, Manning’s best friend on the team. A New Orleans native, special teams coordinator Ricky Brumfield, is the point man on Manning’s recruitment.

Mack Brown has known the Mannings since his days as the head coach at Tulane and recruited Eli during his time at Texas. He is regarded as one of the top recruiters in college football. The Tar Heels have shown they can recruit and develop star quarterbacks by flipping Sam Howell from Florida State and Drake Maye from Alabama. And UNC’s strong academic reputation and bucolic campus also check key boxes on the Manning checklist.

Similarly, Notre Dame and Stanford have well-respected head coaches, strong academic and athletic credentials and campuses ranked among the best in the nation.

“Arch is open-minded right now,” Cooper said. “He is going into everything wide-eyed and excited to meet people and develop relationships. He’s starting to figure out what he likes and what he doesn’t like in terms of the offenses and the systems. He’s looking forward to getting a better feel for the schools and their atmospheres.”

“Are we doing something?” Arch asks me after finishing a two-hour practice on a recent Thursday night at Newman’s stately campus.

That Manning just learned of the scheduled interview isn’t unusual. He’s largely unconcerned with the hype surrounding his recruitment. He’s fully aware it’s out there. But his support group has successfully shielded him from the onslaught. While Stewart’s world is a whirlwind, Manning is freed to live the life of a typical teenager.

Because of this well-executed plan of attack, Manning is enjoying the recruiting process so far. In fact, the football nerd in him is loving every minute of it, especially the one-on-one video conferences with coaches.

He has adopted Uncle Peyton’s penchant for note-taking, religiously recording the names, titles, tenures and offensive philosophies of the coaches, along with the mission statements and cultural guidelines of their programs. He asks questions. But mostly, he listens and learns.

“I enjoy the fact that I can talk to these great coaches all around the country and get to build a relationship with them,” said Manning, his curly brown mop-top blowing in the late-afternoon breeze. “That’s awesome. I hear new stuff every day, and I’m just soaking in all the information I can.”

Manning recently returned from a visit to Denver, where he and Peyton trained and broke down film for the weekend, a one-on-one “minicamp,” joked Archie. He is noticeably thicker and more chiseled than a year ago, the result of morning weight-training sessions with his personal trainer. His defined triceps poke from his sleeveless undershirt as he takes a seat at a picnic table a few yards away from the school’s athletic complex named in honor of his family.

He’s also more comfortable during interviews, having conducted more of them this past year as his star has risen. He comports himself with the quiet confidence of a college senior rather than a 16-year-old who just finished his sophomore year. He looks his interviewer in the eyes and answers questions thoughtfully and carefully. In true Manning fashion, he punctuates sentences with a “Yes, sir. No, sir” Southern charm.

“Arch is in a good place right now,” Archie said. “He is being a high school student. Recruiting is not dominating his life.”

Manning said he’s considering a variety of factors from the schools on his wish list, but mainly his decision will come down to the coaches, their personalities, staffs and offensive systems. He’d prefer a school with a strong academic profile and appealing campus life. “Fit,” “relationships” and “comfort level” are mentioned often in the conversation.

“I’m excited about going to these schools and seeing what they’re like because I’ve never been anywhere yet,” Manning said. “I want to go somewhere I’m going to like living, I guess.”

The Mannings are leveraging the family’s vast network of contacts to research each school. For instance, a call was made recently to Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan to gather intel on Sarkisian and his offensive system. NFL coaches and executives are being tapped for info about the preparedness of quarterbacks from various schools. Likewise, Arch will be able to pick the brains of the 44 college quarterbacks who will serve as camp counselors at the Manning Passing Academy in mid-July. Myles Brennan and Max Johnson (LSU), Matt Corral (Ole Miss), J.T. Daniels (Georgia), Sam Howell (North Carolina), Kedon Slovis (USC) and D.J. Uiagalelei (Clemson) are conveniently on this year’s roster.

“Arch is smart,” Cooper said. “He’s going to do his homework. There will be no secrets when he is done.”

The thoroughness of Arch’s research was clear during our conversation about his recruitment and the schools on his early list:

On Alabama: “I’ve talked to Coach Saban twice. One was a Zoom, and one was on draft night. And those were cool. I usually keep my cool on these, but I was nervous for him.”

On Clemson: “Dabo was good. He’s just a personal guy, fun-loving, everyone loves him. He’s a great guy. And I got to talk to him the other night, and I loved him.”

On Virginia: “I’d definitely consider somewhere like Virginia or SMU. Obviously, it’s not as big, but great people, still great coaches, and something a little bit more my speed, I’d say, kind of in terms of off-the-field stuff.”

On North Carolina: “I’m definitely considering them, too. Coach Brown is a stud.”

On Texas: “I like Sark and (quarterbacks coach) A.J. Milwee a lot. They have great coaches and I can’t wait to see what they do this year.”

On LSU: “I love Coach O, and I’m a big fan of the new coordinator, Coach Peetz. They’re all great guys. They have a good staff. I think they’re going to be pretty good this year. And LSU is just an hour away. So, that might be kind of nice.”

On what influence his committed teammates, Johnson and Bordelon, will have on his decision: “I’m really close with AJ and Bo. They’re good guys. I’ll have a year to see what they can do, and I can ask them a bunch of questions about it. It’d be cool to play with them, but I don’t think I want to necessarily chase friends.”

On if the commitment of Walker Howard, son of former LSU quarterback Jamie Howard, to the Tigers has any bearing on him: “I’m not worried about competition, necessarily. Because there’s going to be good players and good quarterbacks everywhere.”

Manning is in no rush to decide. He hopes to winnow his list to about 10 schools at the end of the summer, then make return trips to as many as possible for Saturday games during the fall. If everything goes according to plan, he’ll commit to a school sometime next spring, freeing him to concentrate on his senior season and giving him time to recruit his future teammates.

“In the end, it’s really going to be about the fit, the relationships, the trust and really just what’s best for him,” Stewart said.

Everyone involved insists that family connections will not influence his decision. Archie and Olivia let Cooper, Peyton and Eli make the call on their own, and Cooper plans to do the same with Arch. The family will serve as a sounding board and resource for institutional knowledge, but ultimately the decision will be Arch’s alone.

“I’m the one going to college, not my parents and not my coaches,” Arch said. “No one’s pressuring me to do anything. I mean, I don’t even have to play football in college if I don’t want to. But I want to go play at a good school, and I think every college has something great to offer.

“I’m not singling out anywhere.”

An article from the Athletic on Manning. Not sure if the note on Cook is just bad information or the author is letting it slip on accident. Would be great if true.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:
  Hide contents

It was a hazy summer day in June 2019 when Arch Manning, the grandson of Archie, son of Cooper and nephew of Eli and Peyton, took the field at LSU’s annual 7-on-7 passing camp. It is a routine stop for many of Louisiana’s top high school prospects, and yet there was something different about the camp that day, and everyone felt it.

The scion of America’s most famous quarterbacking family was stepping into the light.

Cumulus clouds billowed high above the Ponderosa as Arch took the field for the first time as Newman’s starting quarterback. The throws were crisp. The form was textbook. You didn’t have to play or coach in the NFL or be a recruiting coordinator to recognize that Arch was the proverbial total package, a tantalizing mash-up of Archie’s running skills, Cooper’s athleticism, Eli’s poise and Peyton’s processing power.

As the Manning clan watched the action from a golf cart on the sideline, a steady stream of LSU coaches and staff members approached the family. LSU head coach Ed Orgeron chatted up Archie. Then-passing game coordinator Joe Brady talked ball with Cooper. Offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger and running backs coach Mickey Joseph visited with Arch’s mother, Ellen. Joe Burrow, not yet a Heisman Trophy winner, dropped by to introduce himself.

It was a purple-and-gold Welcome Wagon, the (unofficial) beginning of the Tigers’ push to land Arch, the most coveted quarterback prospect in decades. Though he had yet to enter the ninth grade, his helmet dwarfing his rail-thin, 14-year-old frame, everyone understood — even Arch — that the green flag had dropped on one of the most anticipated recruiting races since “The Courting of Marcus Dupree.”

“That was when I knew that this recruiting thing was kind of cranking up,” Manning told The Athletic in mid-May.

Two years later, as the top-ranked quarterback in the Class of 2023 and the progeny of football royalty, Manning has become the focal point of the greatest manhunt in college football history. He has mushroomed into a 6-foot-4, 200-pound superstar, a can’t-miss prospect who is already shattering the passing records set by his famous uncles at Newman.

There is no favorite. Just about every major school — Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Stanford, Texas and Virginia, among others — has a chance.

The Manning brand alone makes Arch’s recruitment front-page news in the college football world. But the family’s careful management of the process, a COVID-addled news cycle and Arch’s restricted social media presence have combined to amplify the thrill of the chase.

“There’s another one: Notre Dame,” Newman coach Nelson Stewart said, pointing to the text message on the screen during a recent interview at the school’s Uptown New Orleans campus. “Everybody wants to see him. I had five schools call today: ‘Please, please, let us in.’ There’s only so much he can do.”

As the designated gatekeeper for Manning’s recruitment, Stewart finds himself in the eye of a daily storm of phone calls, text messages and interview requests. His days are dominated by three things: his family; his football team; and Manning. And not necessarily in that order.

A former walk-on lineman at Tulane University, Stewart is familiar with high-profile recruitments. He coached Odell Beckham Jr. and was Peyton Manning’s teammate at Newman. During his 16-year coaching tenure at Newman, Stewart has sent several players to Division I schools. But Manning’s recruitment is “unlike anything I’ve ever seen,” he said.

To secure an audience with Manning, coaches must go through Stewart, who has set aside a pair of windows around lunchtime and at dusk to schedule appointments. He has become a master at divvying up the meetups with the fleet of high-profile suitors, among them: Mack Brown (North Carolina); Brian Kelly (Notre Dame); Lane Kiffin (Ole Miss); Ed Orgeron; Nick Saban (Alabama); Steve Sarkisian (Texas); David Shaw (Stanford); Kirby Smart (Georgia); and Dabo Swinney (Clemson).

“We have a way that we do it, and I think the lore of the Mannings has made everyone really respect the process,” Stewart said. “We don’t want to make him accessible all the time. He’s still a 16-year-old kid.”

Stewart recently had to purchase a new cellphone to accommodate the demands. He limits the early window to eight- to 10-minute Facetime calls in his office. Longer video conferences are scheduled for evenings and conducted from Manning’s home.

When the process began last season, Cooper asked Stewart if he could “make this like a 1970s recruitment.” The recruiting landscape has changed dramatically since they were prep prospects, and they want to manage the mayhem as best as they can. They have limited Arch’s media appearances and distributed his phone number to only a few select coaches. Posts about Manning’s scholarship offers permeate social media, but they don’t come from Manning, who is not on Twitter and maintains a private Instagram account only to keep up with friends.

“With some kids sometimes, offers are almost like patches on a leather jacket, and you’re just keeping count,” Stewart said. “He doesn’t do that. I don’t think there’s any other kid nationally at his level that’s that way. He’s not one of these kids that needs to hear everything that’s going to be done for him. He’s almost a throwback, like an ‘80s jock, but in a good way.”

To get a bead on where Arch Manning is going, it helps to know where his story began.

By virtue of his ancestry, Manning’s name and connections have provided him more natural resources than perhaps any quarterback in history and granted him entrée into a world most of his peers can only dream about.

That no member of the state’s most famous football family has attended LSU is a longstanding source of bewilderment for longtime Tigers fans.

“It is one of the huge ironies in Louisiana football history,” said T-Bob Hebert, a former LSU center and the host of “Off the Bench,” a popular sports talk radio show in Baton Rouge, and The Athletic’s “Hold That Podcast.” “You have quite literally a Hall of Fame family in a state where there’s only one flagship institution and not a single one of the family went there.”

Part of that can be explained by Manning’s school, which is better known for producing National Merit scholars than 5-star football prospects.

Newman School has long been the place where the families of New Orleans’ affluent Uptown neighborhood send their children to be educated and is widely regarded as the most prestigious private school in Louisiana. Its alumni include journalist Walter Isaacson, author Michael Lewis and actor Bryan Batt, and its tuition averages about $25,000 annually. Drew Brees’ children attended the school during his tenure with the New Orleans Saints. Zion Williamson’s little brother, Noah, is enrolled there.

Newman graduates regularly matriculate to Ivy League schools or private liberal arts colleges. In the past four years, only 13 percent of Newman’s 343 graduates chose to remain in Louisiana.

In the school’s long history, only two Greenies have signed to play football at LSU: wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and defensive back Ronnie Vinson.

In fact, LSU was never truly in the hunt for any of the Mannings. Peyton made several unofficial visits to Baton Rouge during his senior season but struck LSU from his list of finalists after fellow in-state, blue-chip quarterback Josh Booty committed to the Tigers. Peyton picked Tennessee over Ole Miss, Florida and Michigan.

Eli visited LSU but ultimately picked Ole Miss over Virginia and Texas with the Tigers distant also-rans. Archie didn’t receive a scholarship offer from LSU when he came out of Drew, Mississippi, in 1967. His three finalists were Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Tulane.

But those were the days when LSU football was run by defensive-minded coaches with antiquated offenses. The program is in a much different place than it was in the 1990s when Peyton and Eli starred at Newman. Burrow, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, and Brady changed the perception of the program, especially for quarterback prospects.

“It’s a credible quarterback school now,” said Billy Embody, who covers LSU recruiting for 247 Sports. “A decade ago you couldn’t have probably gotten any of these guys. If you’re a quarterback, this is the type of offense you want to be in.”

LSU’s intentions with Arch Manning are clear: The Tigers are going all in. Orgeron has personally overseen his recruitment since Day One. He was the first head coach to meet Arch in person when he visited Newman the week after winning the 2019 national championship. New offensive coordinator Jake Peetz has developed a good rapport with Manning over regular Zoom calls, and a handful of other Tigers assistants have also been involved.

What’s more, the Tigers have already received commitments from two of Arch’s upper-class teammates and close friends: offensive lineman Bo Bordelon and wide receiver AJ Johnson. Bordelon is Newman’s starting left tackle and the son of Ben Bordelon, a former LSU and NFL lineman and one of the program’s biggest boosters. Johnson, meanwhile, is a regular guest of the Mannings at their Uptown home. Arch’s best friend, Newman tight end Will Randle, is also being courted by LSU.

If Brady were still at LSU, the race for Manning might already be over. Manning himself calls Brady an offensive “mastermind,” but the Tigers former passing game coordinator bolted for the NFL after one season. So LSU did the next best thing: hired Peetz and DJ Mangas, a pair of offensive assistants with ties to Brady from the Carolina Panthers.

“Politically and symbolically, it could be a huge win if Coach O were able to bring the Mannings into the fold,” Hebert said. “To bring the first family of Louisiana football into LSU would be massive for the perception of the program.”

How the Tigers offense performs under Peetz and Mangas this season will go a long way in determining LSU’s chances with Manning.

Still, there are many in Baton Rouge who, because of the Mannings’ perceived indifference toward the program, are convinced LSU’s inclusion in the recruitment is purely ceremonial. Others believe Orgeron’s disastrous tenure as the head coach at Ole Miss will be the Tigers’ eventual undoing.

Because of these latent disadvantages, James Carville, an LSU graduate and lifelong supporter of the school’s athletic teams, said it would be “the biggest signing in the history of the Southeastern Conference” if Orgeron can upset the field and land Manning.

The university’s longstanding ties to the Manning family give the Rebels an inherent edge. The family remains royalty in Oxford, where the speed limits on campus are still 18 and 10 miles per hour in honor of Archie and Eli’s retired Ole Miss jersey numbers.

Of all the schools in pursuit of Manning, Ole Miss is the one that Arch knows best. As a middle-schooler, he attended camp there when Matt Luke was coach, famously throwing routes to former Rebels receivers (and now NFL stars) A.J. Brown and DK Metcalf. The Mannings keep residences in Oxford and are regular visitors to the Grove on game days.

But the Rebels are far from a slam dunk. They have not been a factor in the SEC West in several years, and it’s unclear how the genteel Mannings feel about Rebels head coach Lane Kiffin, an unabashed firebrand who infamously spurned the University of Tennessee after one season. While Kiffin’s offensive prowess is well-regarded, the Lane Train’s cocksure personality is about as dissimilar from David Cutcliffe, the Mannings’ longtime mentor, as humanly possible. Some wonder if he will jibe with the conservative Manning ethos.

“It would be an incredible shot in the arm for Ole Miss to get him, not just because of the Manning name but also because he’s the real deal,” said Rick Cleveland, a former columnist at the Jackson (Miss.) Clarion-Ledger and longtime friend of the Manning family. “You go on an Ole Miss message board on any given day, and there’s somebody on there talking about him. The fans are so wrapped up in it, it’s unbelievable. There will be a meltdown if Ole Miss doesn’t get him.”

Meanwhile, the other legacy school in the mix, Tennessee, might be an even longer shot. The Volunteers are on their fourth coach in the past decade and are coming off their third losing season in the past four years. And Cutcliffe, the tie that originally bound the Mannings to Knoxville, is now the head coach at Duke.

“If the Mannings have shown you anything, it’s that the leadership means as much as anything to them,” said Jacob Hester, a former LSU running back who works alongside Hebert in the radio booth. “With the Mannings, I think it’s more about where the leadership and the program are at the time and not necessarily family ties to a school.”

ArchManning11.jpg

June is a big month in Manning’s recruitment. The longest recruiting dead period in college football history ends on June 1, and the Mannings plan to use the month to tour several of the schools on Arch’s list for unofficial visits.

The plan is to visit Clemson during the first week of June, then hit SMU and Texas on the following weekend. Visits to Alabama and Georgia will follow on the final two weekends of the month. Trips to Notre Dame and Ohio State in the Midwest and Stanford and USC out West are on the wish list. The family would also like to visit Virginia, North Carolina, Duke and Tennessee if possible.

“It might be hard to get to them all, but we’re going to try,” Cooper said. “It’s important for him to get to see these campuses and get a feel for what they’re like. I had a coach tell me that by now he and Arch would have met six or seven times and he hasn’t met him once yet. This will give him a chance to interact with the coaches and get to know them better.”

It’s not by happenstance that Manning will camp at Clemson. The Tigers have developed a strong relationship with Manning and are serious contenders for his services. They have a national profile, a strong track record for developing elite quarterbacks and one of the best home atmospheres in college football. The school’s regional location and user-friendly, rural campus are also strong selling points.

“Clemson is not only throwing the ball a good bit, but they’re competing for ACC and national championships year in and year out under Dabo,” Rivals recruiting analyst Sam Spiegelman said. “The Clemson factor is going to be a part of this because they recruit a specific style, and I think that’ll catch the Mannings’ attention.”

Indeed, Swinney’s Mayberry magnetism and unique recruiting philosophy are tailor-made for the understated Mannings. The Tigers don’t accept transfers or junior college players, and they don’t offer scholarships to prep prospects until the summer before their junior years. They traditionally only sign one quarterback per signing class.

“They’re a little more old-school, and they’ve been winning, so it’s pretty doggone impressive,” Archie said.

Texas also has made a positive impression and is squarely in the hunt. Sarkisian’s relationship with Manning goes back to his time as offensive coordinator on the Alabama staff, and the bond has strengthened through regular Zoom calls this spring. Sark’s NFL pedigree and developmental work with Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones in Tuscaloosa are also significant assets. The Forty Acres’ proximity to New Orleans and Austin’s laid-back lifestyle certainly don’t hurt the Longhorns’ cause. A pair of Texas commitments in the 2023 class, Rueben Owens and Johntay Cook, have been recruiting Manning via group chat.

Georgia also can’t be discounted. The Bulldogs have a track record with elite quarterbacks, an offensive coordinator with NFL experience (Todd Monken) and a connection to the Mannings with Matt Luke, their offensive line coach. Georgia head coach Kirby Smart and Peyton Manning also have a longstanding relationship from their playing days together in the SEC. Likewise, Athens is regionally located and regarded as one of the best college towns in the nation.

And it would be foolish to rule out Alabama. The defending national champions are prioritizing Manning in the 2023 class. With Saban, offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien and defensive coordinator Pete Golding, the Tide staff is maintaining regular contact.

And then there are the perceived outsiders: Virginia, North Carolina, Notre Dame, SMU and Stanford. You could make a case for each as a neutral choice if Manning ventures outside the SEC for college.

Arch’s mother, Ellen, played volleyball at Virginia and his older sister, May, will begin her freshman year in Charlottesville this fall. Virginia boasts one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation and has already offered a scholarship to Randle, Manning’s best friend on the team. A New Orleans native, special teams coordinator Ricky Brumfield, is the point man on Manning’s recruitment.

Mack Brown has known the Mannings since his days as the head coach at Tulane and recruited Eli during his time at Texas. He is regarded as one of the top recruiters in college football. The Tar Heels have shown they can recruit and develop star quarterbacks by flipping Sam Howell from Florida State and Drake Maye from Alabama. And UNC’s strong academic reputation and bucolic campus also check key boxes on the Manning checklist.

Similarly, Notre Dame and Stanford have well-respected head coaches, strong academic and athletic credentials and campuses ranked among the best in the nation.

“Arch is open-minded right now,” Cooper said. “He is going into everything wide-eyed and excited to meet people and develop relationships. He’s starting to figure out what he likes and what he doesn’t like in terms of the offenses and the systems. He’s looking forward to getting a better feel for the schools and their atmospheres.”

“Are we doing something?” Arch asks me after finishing a two-hour practice on a recent Thursday night at Newman’s stately campus.

That Manning just learned of the scheduled interview isn’t unusual. He’s largely unconcerned with the hype surrounding his recruitment. He’s fully aware it’s out there. But his support group has successfully shielded him from the onslaught. While Stewart’s world is a whirlwind, Manning is freed to live the life of a typical teenager.

Because of this well-executed plan of attack, Manning is enjoying the recruiting process so far. In fact, the football nerd in him is loving every minute of it, especially the one-on-one video conferences with coaches.

He has adopted Uncle Peyton’s penchant for note-taking, religiously recording the names, titles, tenures and offensive philosophies of the coaches, along with the mission statements and cultural guidelines of their programs. He asks questions. But mostly, he listens and learns.

“I enjoy the fact that I can talk to these great coaches all around the country and get to build a relationship with them,” said Manning, his curly brown mop-top blowing in the late-afternoon breeze. “That’s awesome. I hear new stuff every day, and I’m just soaking in all the information I can.”

Manning recently returned from a visit to Denver, where he and Peyton trained and broke down film for the weekend, a one-on-one “minicamp,” joked Archie. He is noticeably thicker and more chiseled than a year ago, the result of morning weight-training sessions with his personal trainer. His defined triceps poke from his sleeveless undershirt as he takes a seat at a picnic table a few yards away from the school’s athletic complex named in honor of his family.

He’s also more comfortable during interviews, having conducted more of them this past year as his star has risen. He comports himself with the quiet confidence of a college senior rather than a 16-year-old who just finished his sophomore year. He looks his interviewer in the eyes and answers questions thoughtfully and carefully. In true Manning fashion, he punctuates sentences with a “Yes, sir. No, sir” Southern charm.

“Arch is in a good place right now,” Archie said. “He is being a high school student. Recruiting is not dominating his life.”

Manning said he’s considering a variety of factors from the schools on his wish list, but mainly his decision will come down to the coaches, their personalities, staffs and offensive systems. He’d prefer a school with a strong academic profile and appealing campus life. “Fit,” “relationships” and “comfort level” are mentioned often in the conversation.

“I’m excited about going to these schools and seeing what they’re like because I’ve never been anywhere yet,” Manning said. “I want to go somewhere I’m going to like living, I guess.”

The Mannings are leveraging the family’s vast network of contacts to research each school. For instance, a call was made recently to Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan to gather intel on Sarkisian and his offensive system. NFL coaches and executives are being tapped for info about the preparedness of quarterbacks from various schools. Likewise, Arch will be able to pick the brains of the 44 college quarterbacks who will serve as camp counselors at the Manning Passing Academy in mid-July. Myles Brennan and Max Johnson (LSU), Matt Corral (Ole Miss), J.T. Daniels (Georgia), Sam Howell (North Carolina), Kedon Slovis (USC) and D.J. Uiagalelei (Clemson) are conveniently on this year’s roster.

“Arch is smart,” Cooper said. “He’s going to do his homework. There will be no secrets when he is done.”

The thoroughness of Arch’s research was clear during our conversation about his recruitment and the schools on his early list:

On Alabama: “I’ve talked to Coach Saban twice. One was a Zoom, and one was on draft night. And those were cool. I usually keep my cool on these, but I was nervous for him.”

On Clemson: “Dabo was good. He’s just a personal guy, fun-loving, everyone loves him. He’s a great guy. And I got to talk to him the other night, and I loved him.”

On Virginia: “I’d definitely consider somewhere like Virginia or SMU. Obviously, it’s not as big, but great people, still great coaches, and something a little bit more my speed, I’d say, kind of in terms of off-the-field stuff.”

On North Carolina: “I’m definitely considering them, too. Coach Brown is a stud.”

On Texas: “I like Sark and (quarterbacks coach) A.J. Milwee a lot. They have great coaches and I can’t wait to see what they do this year.”

On LSU: “I love Coach O, and I’m a big fan of the new coordinator, Coach Peetz. They’re all great guys. They have a good staff. I think they’re going to be pretty good this year. And LSU is just an hour away. So, that might be kind of nice.”

On what influence his committed teammates, Johnson and Bordelon, will have on his decision: “I’m really close with AJ and Bo. They’re good guys. I’ll have a year to see what they can do, and I can ask them a bunch of questions about it. It’d be cool to play with them, but I don’t think I want to necessarily chase friends.”

On if the commitment of Walker Howard, son of former LSU quarterback Jamie Howard, to the Tigers has any bearing on him: “I’m not worried about competition, necessarily. Because there’s going to be good players and good quarterbacks everywhere.”

Manning is in no rush to decide. He hopes to winnow his list to about 10 schools at the end of the summer, then make return trips to as many as possible for Saturday games during the fall. If everything goes according to plan, he’ll commit to a school sometime next spring, freeing him to concentrate on his senior season and giving him time to recruit his future teammates.

“In the end, it’s really going to be about the fit, the relationships, the trust and really just what’s best for him,” Stewart said.

Everyone involved insists that family connections will not influence his decision. Archie and Olivia let Cooper, Peyton and Eli make the call on their own, and Cooper plans to do the same with Arch. The family will serve as a sounding board and resource for institutional knowledge, but ultimately the decision will be Arch’s alone.

“I’m the one going to college, not my parents and not my coaches,” Arch said. “No one’s pressuring me to do anything. I mean, I don’t even have to play football in college if I don’t want to. But I want to go play at a good school, and I think every college has something great to offer.

An article from the Athletic on Manning. Not sure if the note on Cook is just bad information or the author is letting it slip on accident. Would be great if true.

That is very interesting to say the least. If true, hell yeah

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:
  Reveal hidden contents

ArchManning11.jpg

BECB116E-D0B4-495B-A588-66A958340BEA.gif

44 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

You have quite literally a Hall of Fame family in a state where there’s only one flagship institution and not a single one of the family went there.”

I giggled at this quote

Wells

Spoiler

WR/TE Ethan Davis, Collins Hill (Suwannee, GA) - 2023:

He’s a real prospect on both the gridiron and hardwood at 6-foot-5, 200 pounds. He’s got attention from some big schools early, with LSU, Florida, Kentucky, and Texas offering.

“I'm looking for somewhere where I can call home and can bond with the coaches and players overall," said Davis. "I'm looking to get better in all categories on the field to be the best football player.”

The three-star holds nine offers including Auburn, Kentucky, Texas A&M, and Florida, and hears from Ole Miss the most. But Texas recently offered and it has his attention.

“Texas is definitely an amazing school with an amazing campus," said Davis. "Their message was they just can't wait to get me down there so I can meet the players and the coaching staff. I’m just grateful they gave me the opportunity to wear their jersey.”

Davis has P5 offers from both football and hoops, so his athleticism is apparent. Texas will need at least one tight end in the 2023 cycle. Davis could be a good start.

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Oh cool a 5-star from ULab. Definitely landing him, then.

https://247sports.com/player/jaiden-ausberry-46099543/

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:
nm

4 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Is that twice today?

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

shit's borked

I told y'all awhile back the AI was malfunctioning. It's about to be all Person of Interest up in this bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

IT

Spoiler

WR Braylon James, Del Valle (Del Valle, TX) - 2023:

This was the one he wanted. For the 6-foot-3, 180-pound pass-catcher, Texas was the offer he'd always coveted.

"Still waiting on that Hook 'em offer," James told IT recently. He no longer has to wait.

After flashing as a sophomore with 442 yards receiving and seven touchdowns on 42 catches, his phone began ringing.

Notre Dame, Ohio State, LSU, Georgia, and Oregon are among his 30 total offers. He's set to see Columbus, OH on June 22nd.

I can see James taking an unofficial to Austin or showing up at an on-campus camp in June. Either way, Texas is in there.

Roach

Spoiler

— 2023 Arlington Lamar OL Isaiah Robinson recently had a Zoom presentation with the Texas staff. I was told that Robinson and his family were impressed with the presentation and they've been growing in their relationship with Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood. They will make a trip to Austin later this month as they are targeting the 25th as a time to make it to campus.

— One other local prospect who received an offer is 2023 Temple ATH Mikal Harrison-Pilot. The two-way star plays receiver and safety for the Wildcats and is getting looks on both sides of the ball. Harrison-Pilot is both a great student and a versatile athlete specializing in three sports (football, baseball and track). I really like this offer and it looks like they may be targeting him as a safety though I'd expect they pitch him on playing either side of the ball as of now.