Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

With Hale possibly coming our way I decided to give his Hudl a watch. He is constantly under thrown. Tons of deep shots where he burned the DB but it becomes a jump ball with him having to come back to the throw. 
Would be sweet to pair him with an arm cannon like Ewers. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Askew said:

Your point wasn’t about protecting the privacy of recruits, it was the consequentialist point of ‘airing that info could cause the recruit to not go to Texas.’  Which I agree with. 

I don’t understand why you’d be ok with pushing a recruit away by synthesizing all of the negative data points regarding our head coach into a conclusive “he sucks”,  but then be worried about some non public info about that recruit coming into surly being the cause. 

Recruits aren’t coming to a board to read a random poster’s thoughts about a coach. Reuben Owens’ dad doesn’t read this board or others for that. He reads it to see what people are saying about his kid. And if someone is saying something about his kid with non-public data, that’s going to be shit the program is then going to have to deal with, rational or not. 

Let’s be clear, since you seem confused about approach. If me citing obvious and probable reasons to doubt the viability of Seven Loss Steve as a potential title-winning HC at Texas is a reason for a recruit going elsewhere, then we were fucked in that recruitment from the start. Shut down the entire site and demand that all college radio and tv commentary be shut down forever. We’re fucked because I’m the least of that recruitment’s worries after the first loss. If Sarkisian is worried about that, do better. 

Beyond that, there’s an intimation from you here that my posts have potentially hurt recruiting… Because I am mean to Steve Sarkisian’s coaching history. It’s frankly stunning to see in the written form. And it is also hilarious, given the actual context of contributions regarding recruiting for the program from me over the last 12 months. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You could *not* care less. 

The post I just quoted is deflecting the discussion in which you jumped into and began spouting bad data. You claimed, with no substance, that folks were apparently wrong about Worthy having character questions because he’s now a “team leader”. He’s not, which I referenced, and the rest about him is babbling and irrelevant to the discussion. 

Similarly, you disregard the Stewart points driving the character concerns and then equivocate on his behalf for “negotiating” while blithely ignoring the issue with what his lot was doing - crawfishing a deal. If you don’t think that speaks further to disputing your original ignorant take defending his character, I guess we’ll all learn something today. 

Beyond all of that, I shared some info to dissuade you from further mewling, but that didn’t really get us anywhere and it never does. Posters are still going to be whine about “sources” and “credibility” when it comes to discussing recruiting. If you can’t fucking handle some vagueries for necessary reasons which you damned well should fucking understand, maybe exit the recruiting discussions from here. The football board might be more your speed. The rest of us can go back to sharing info and thoughts and the discussions can get back to going forward semi-productively. 

Alright CTJ, someone piss in your cheerios this morning?  I’ll stay on this board as I please.  Feel free to hit the ignore button, I COULD NOT care less.  Happy?  While I think you post good content, you’re not immune to dumbass posts.  I’ve been on these forums reading your takes back when we’d post on hornfans, scout, shaggy and I’ve seen my fair share.  I’m not spouting any “bad” data.  I was simply saying that if you’re going to call kids character risks, then share the info.   We have different definitions of team leaders etc.  Worthy is in half the Instagram content through the school  and is a leader based on his production.  Is he Sam Ehlinger? no.  He was also considered a questionable take from a personality standpoint point through the camp circuits and he’s turned out fine for our locker room.  In fact, from what the other players post on their social media, they seem quite fond of him as a teammate, mercenary or not.  Anyway, I’m fine with the staff taking Hale.  Hell I’d be fine with them taking Evan Stewart if he wants to portal here.  I want Texas to win another championship and if we need more Romance Taylors and Evan Stewarts to do that… then I hope Sark gets them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Blue and Stewart both had much more obvious red flags than Hale as both were publicly kicked off their HS teams.

I have no idea what the deal with Hale is because nothing public has happened and no one has even specified the seriousness of his “character risks”. Forget about specific details we weren’t even given a range.

“Character risks” could span from being a diva to being a criminal, and I obviously care more about the latter than the former. Plenty of WRs that worked out were divas, it’s a common trait with that position.

And considering we took Blue anyway, from a recruiting standpoint, how much does the Hale stuff matter if it’s not criminal in nature?

Yeah, it’s not going to matter.  We have two guys in Gilbeau and Ibrahim that are still on the team after getting trouble with the law multiple times.  Hell we let a mediocre talent like Joshua Moore stay on the team and we don’t need to discuss the stupid shit he’s done in Austin.  

18 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

There are millions of people that discuss the performance of the Texas head coach. Nobody on this board will say anything about Sark that these recruits don't see on twitter or hear from other coaches daily

That's very different from spilling personal, private information about the recruit

The two aren't similar. This isn't that hard

This.

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Alright CTJ, someone piss in your cheerios this morning?  I’ll stay on this board as I please.  Feel free to hit the ignore button, I COULD NOT care less.  Happy?  While I think you post good content, you’re not immune to dumbass posts.  I’ve been on these forums reading your takes back when we’d post on hornfans, scout, shaggy and I’ve seen my fair share.  I’m not spouting any “bad” data.  I was simply saying that if you’re going to call kids character risks, then share the info.   We have different definitions of team leaders etc.  Worthy is in half the Instagram content through the school  and is a leader based on his production.  Is he Sam Ehlinger? no.  He was also considered a questionable take from a personality standpoint point through the camp circuits and he’s turned out fine for our locker room.  In fact, from what the other players post on their social media, they seem quite fond of him as a teammate, mercenary or not.  Anyway, I’m fine with the staff taking Hale.  Hell I’d be fine with them taking Evan Stewart if he wants to portal here.  I want Texas to win another championship and if we need more Romance Taylors and Evan Stewarts to do that… then I hope Sark gets them.

When I see a battle like this, I sure get hungry. And nothing fills me up quite like Grandy’s. 

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

The point about taking “character risks” because we always have and they can work out is fine by me. I wasn’t disputing that logic. I was disputing your equivocating on behalf of specific players as though there weren’t excellent reasons for people to have the character concerns. 

As all of this pertains to Hale, people have conflated my view about him and that of @RGBIII . I may have heard whatever he heard, but I don’t remember it if I did. I don’t personally give a fuck if Hale hates puppies and denies The Holocaust. If he can stay eligible without raping or murdering someone and help Texas win titles, sign him up. I’ve lost my illusions otherwise. We don’t need a roster full of mercenaries or lunatics, but a few that can make catches in the end zone in traffic and tackle a running back on 3rd and short at the LOS will work just fine. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Hey man, if they can score TDs, then I could care less as you see.  My point was that if everyone is going to label him as a problem player, then share the info.  Didn’t know that about Stewart.  I don’t think negotiating a bag is necessarily a red flag or every Bama player would be considered a risk.  That’s what college recruiting is now more or less.  Didn’t know about the drug issues but now we know and makes more sense.  As far as Worthy and being a mercenary, that was obvious when he dipped from Michigan to play for Sark.  He’s here for one reason and one reason only, to go to the NFL.  Dude doesn’t care about Texas and that’s fine.  That’s what college football is now.  Honestly, it’s probably better for Texas because we can at least acquire talent this way.  

I mean, assume if you read it on here it’s legitimate and you don’t have the need to know as opposed to braying like a jackass about people on here being meanies. 
I say this with all due respect. 

My thought on the matter: is the bagge Marcel Brooks level? If it is, burn him.  Dont want him anyway. 

Anything less that that can probably be grouped into " its a kid, let him grow"  

And until he has well and truly not picked Texas, keep that shit off Texas boards. 

Because if the kid is valuable,  dont do things thatll sabotage his recruitment. No matter how small or inconsequential. 

Or stuff

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

There are millions of people that discuss the performance of the Texas head coach. Nobody on this board will say anything about Sark that these recruits don't see on twitter or hear from other coaches daily

That's very different from spilling personal, private information about the recruit

The two aren't similar. This isn't that hard

I have learned things from Surly and CTJ in particular regarding Sark, assuming they are true, that I have never seen "publicly" on twitter or elsewhere. These go beyond "we lost 6 games and Kansas at home." Things like, the incompetence and timeline of his hiring of Mike Stoops, his total lack of understanding of defenses and defensive coordination (as relayed by people within the program), the lack of consensus for his hiring in the first place, the true depravity of his alcoholism and days at Washington (even his favorite type of tequila and associate nickname). 

There have been similarly non-public info about recruits: Jaydon Blue's "opt-out" excuse for quitting the team and then associated attempts to get back on the team, Evan Stewart's drug test as the reason for him not participating with the team. Neither of these were particularly bemoaned. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Alright CTJ, someone piss in your cheerios this morning?  I’ll stay on this board as I please.  Feel free to hit the ignore button, I COULD NOT care less.  Happy?  

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You could *not* care less. 

The post I just quoted is deflecting the discussion in which you jumped into and began spouting bad data. You claimed, with no substance, that folks were apparently wrong about Worthy having character questions because he’s now a “team leader”. He’s not, which I referenced, and the rest about him is babbling and irrelevant to the discussion. 

Similarly, you disregard the Stewart points driving the character concerns and then equivocate on his behalf for “negotiating” while blithely ignoring the issue with what his lot was doing - crawfishing a deal. If you don’t think that speaks further to disputing your original ignorant take defending his character, I guess we’ll all learn something today. 

Beyond all of that, I shared some info to dissuade you from further mewling, but that didn’t really get us anywhere and it never does. Posters are still going to be whine about “sources” and “credibility” when it comes to discussing recruiting. If you can’t fucking handle some vagueries for necessary reasons which you damned well should fucking understand, maybe exit the recruiting discussions from here. The football board might be more your speed. The rest of us can go back to sharing info and thoughts and the discussions can get back to going forward semi-productively. 

D1E73A93-E663-42F8-9347-83A931E917E0.gif

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, assume if you read it on here it’s legitimate and you don’t have the need to know as opposed to braying like a jackass about people on here being meanies. 
I say this with all due respect. 

I know there are a few posters on here that are pretty reliable but "If you read it on Surly, assume it's true" is terrible advice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Fletch said:

Wait this could happen? Thought we had no interest at all in Shanahan. I’m a total Westlake homer and I’m not totally sure I want him but fuck it. He’s got a mean streak at guard and toying with aggy since the sec announcement has been a fucking blast 

Now if we take Shanahan, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t take Greathouse. I know he loves Norte dame but like 8 or some shit or his former teammates are on the team. Arch throwing to him in the slot and on goal line jump balls would be unfair. 

This is pretty awesome. Under Herman and Hand, Shanahan and Greathouse would be top targets while going all in on Novosad or some shit. Got damn this is fun 

Pretty sure Shanahan is going to the highest bidder. Hopefully that isn't us.

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Recruits aren’t coming to a board to read a random poster’s thoughts about a coach. Reuben Owens’ dad doesn’t read this board or others for that. He reads it to see what people are saying about his kid. And if someone is saying something about his kid with non-public data, that’s going to be shit the program is then going to have to deal with, rational or not. 

Let’s be clear, since you seem confused about approach. If me citing obvious and probable reasons to doubt the viability of Seven Loss Steve as a potential title-winning HC at Texas is a reason for a recruit going elsewhere, then we were fucked in that recruitment from the start. Shut down the entire site and demand that all college radio and tv commentary be shut down forever. We’re fucked because I’m the least of that recruitment’s worries after the first loss. If Sarkisian is worried about that, do better. 

Beyond that, there’s an intimation from you here that my posts have potentially hurt recruiting… Because I am mean to Steve Sarkisian’s coaching history. It’s frankly stunning to see in the written form. And it is also hilarious, given the actual context of contributions regarding recruiting for the program from me over the last 12 months. 

And what if he comes to a board and sees non-public info about a coach, his sordid past, his slip-ups with assembling his staff, his defensive ignorance and incompetence? If that info is particularly negative, isnt the program going to have to deal with that? 

Im not talking about college radio and tv commentary, or random posters on this board. I'm talking about posters like you, who are viewed as the most credible and valuable posters on this website, with personal and deep ties not the program and BMDs, and access to non-public info.  You have backed up your ostensible insider status with evidence and accurate prognostications, for the most part. Your posts have hte most impressions and responses on Surly. If anything, your contributions to recruiting give even more weight to your opinions, even if your actions seem contrary to your words.  

You can be the judge about whether your opinions on the coach matter, but to me they matter a lot more than most posters on this site. 

5 minutes ago, Askew said:

I have learned things from Surly and CTJ in particular regarding Sark, assuming they are true, that I have never seen "publicly" on twitter or elsewhere. These go beyond "we lost 6 games and Kansas at home." Things like, the incompetence and timeline of his hiring of Mike Stoops, his total lack of understanding of defenses and defensive coordination (as relayed by people within the program), the lack of consensus for his hiring in the first place, the true depravity of his alcoholism and days at Washington (even his favorite type of tequila and associate nickname). 

There have been similarly non-public info about recruits: Jaydon Blue's "opt-out" excuse for quitting the team and then associated attempts to get back on the team, Evan Stewart's drug test as the reason for him not participating with the team. Neither of these were particularly bemoaned. 

I would appreciate it if you and others would be more careful in how you attribute data provenance here. I’m not the only person that is involved in some way with the sport, school or program and therefore not everything, or even the majority of things, posted that wind up with credibility as time and results pass are from my handle.

For instance, I don’t know shit about Sarkisian’s favorite tequila at UW. I’ve read stuff about his time there and at USC from their boards and articles written locally off and online, but that’s it. I actually do “know” things from elsewhere that I cannot verify and would not be productive to post, so they’re not on here and won’t be. Running someone over due to an addiction isn’t something that I cherish. I am sure I have done it on the boards at some point, but it’s low comedy to run over Steve Sarklostagain for transgressions of the past regarding addiction. It matters in analyzing his career and having concerns about it leading to bad decision making that led to his downfall at USC, but that’s the extent. 

As to Blue, his ex-teammates were ripping him on twitter publicly before any of us really knew he was kicked off the team or “quit”. So, you may have learned something here on some of this, but Twitter and social media often knew first on those kinds of things. 

In any event, again, overlaying how you read a forum to how a recruit would is some tenuous logic. 

5 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I know there are a few posters on here that are pretty reliable but "If you read it on Surly, assume it's true" is terrible advice.

I thought the “from a reliable source” was understood based upon who we were talking about, but I’d put the collective hive mind on Surly above any other board I’ve ever been on. 

4 minutes ago, Askew said:

And what if he comes to a board and sees non-public info about a coach, his sordid past, his slip-ups with assembling his staff, his defensive ignorance and incompetence? If that info is particularly negative, isnt the program going to have to deal with that? 

Im not talking about college radio and tv commentary, or random posters on this board. I'm talking about posters like you, who are viewed as the most credible and valuable posters on this website, with personal and deep ties not the program and BMDs, and access to non-public info.  You have backed up your ostensible insider status with evidence and accurate prognostications, for the most part. Your posts have hte most impressions and responses on Surly. If anything, your contributions to recruiting give even more weight to your opinions, even if your actions seem contrary to your words.  

You can be the judge about whether your opinions on the coach matter, but to me they matter a lot more than most posters on this site. 

I have to tell you, this seals it for me. You actually believe my posts about Steve Sarkisian could impact a recruit’s decision. It’s now going to be even more entertaining for me the next time I feel like going off on the guy after more incompetence. “If I post this, is it going to make Askew shriek over his keyboard or do I need to step it up a notch?“

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have to tell you, this seals it for me. You actually believe my posts about Steve Sarkisian could impact a recruit’s decision. It’s now going to be even more entertaining for me the next time I feel like going off on the guy after more incompetence. “If I post this, is it going to make Askew shriek over his keyboard or do I need to step it up a notch?“

Fuck Chip Brown has the same "my opinions don't sway recruits, I'm just spilling my thoughts" excuse for the Nik Bonitto situation. Wasn't he just relaying Herman's incompetence? 

Is it the 'journalist' credential, loose as that is for Texas journalists, that makes the difference? 

• Fuck You 2

58 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Someone had this on 247 ... 

I love this.  I’ve seen texas recruit well on OL in the past only to see them completely fail.  I remember the class with Kent Perkin, Darius James, Kennedy Estelle were going to be dominant but none of those guys really developed.  This OL class is the best ever from a recruiting standpoint and Flood is regarded as one of the best OL developers along with Cristobal, Pittman, and the Bedenbaugh.  Banks was the #1 LT in the country on Saban’s board according to Burton.  Cristobal thought Banks and Cam Williams were the best tackle prospects in the country.  Outside of those two, Campbell may be the best right now from an athletic and strength standpoint.  He’s also plays like Studdard in the sense that he wants to basically fight every play.  This OL has lacked that attitude for 15 years.  I still remember ou taking late shots on our QB and our OL just standing there clueless.  I’m really looking forward to this group and the guys behind them in Neto and Hutson were being recruited by some of the best OL coaches in the country as well.  

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I would appreciate it if you and others would be more careful in how you attribute data provenance here. I’m not the only person that is involved in some way with the sport, school or program and therefore not everything, or even the majority of things, posted that wind up with credibility as time and results pass are from my handle.

For instance, I don’t know shit about Sarkisian’s favorite tequila at UW. I’ve read stuff about his time there and at USC from their boards and articles written locally off and online, but that’s it. I actually do “know” things from elsewhere that I cannot verify and would not be productive to post, so they’re not on here and won’t be. Running someone over due to an addiction isn’t something that I cherish. I am sure I have done it on the boards at some point, but it’s low comedy to run over Steve Sarklostagain for transgressions of the past regarding addiction. It matters in analyzing his career and having concerns about it leading to bad decision making that led to his downfall at USC, but that’s the extent. 

As to Blue, his ex-teammates were ripping him on twitter publicly before any of us really knew he was kicked off the team or “quit”. So, you may have learned something here on some of this, but Twitter and social media often knew first on those kinds of things. 

In any event, again, overlaying how you read a forum to how a recruit would is some tenuous logic. 

So to be clearL: you do post non-public info about our coaches and program on Surly, just not the entirety of such info that ends up here? 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Askew said:

You're right that stuff gets posted here that isn't super public, but you're really trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. All the stuff that you mention in this post is likely nothing compared to what recruits hear from other coaches/people negative recruiting Texas. Also, recruits aren't going to give any shits about the near hiring of Stoops or the hiring process lmao 

You also need to understand there's a ton of stuff that doesn't get posted on here. People like ctj and some of the 9.95ers exercise a lot of discretion before sharing information because they care about how it affects the program. The best example I can think of was Bru's transfer v1. The news of his intention to transfer leaked on Jan 24th but had been circulating in Texas circles for at least a couple days beforehand (at least the 22nd as that's when I learned about it). But nobody said anything because that was information that could negatively affect our chances in the recruitment -- see Helton and players cornering in his room to pressure him to stay once it did leak. 

Basically, just chill out and be thankful for people that share info on this board. It makes recruiting much more fun and gives us an inside look that we wouldn't have otherwise. And they're not going to share anything that they think would hurt the program, except maybe Carl, but I wasn't around much during his time lol

• Hook 'Em 7

19 minutes ago, Askew said:

Fuck Chip Brown has the same "my opinions don't sway recruits, I'm just spilling my thoughts" excuse for the Nik Bonitto situation. Wasn't he just relaying Herman's incompetence? 

Is it the 'journalist' credential, loose as that is for Texas journalists, that makes the difference? 

14 minutes ago, Askew said:

So to be clearL: you do post non-public info about our coaches and program on Surly, just not the entirety of such info that ends up here? 

I’m not a journalist, dipshit. I’m on a forum as a regular poster. If you’re giving my posts more power than that, that’s only your issue and not anyone else’s reality. I’m not being paid for shit and I have as much accountability for the veracity of my posts as you do or any other anonymous lunatic. You can attempt to hold me to some sort of self-designed standard that taps into your absurd fears and anguish as much as you’d like, but that doesn’t change reality. I don’t owe you a fucking thing.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, utfan87 said:

When did you see that he ran a 10.6? According to his athletic.net profile his best is a 10.84. I think this is the real sticking point with his recruitment. He lacks top end speed. 
https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=17756943

a 10:6 is what was posted, which even if it was hand time is like a 10:8 so that makes sense. 
but Lacking??? You know how fast a 10.8 is??? 

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, Askew said:

You cannot possibly be this obtuse, can you?