Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

0% since that date is very personally significant for him. It's his childhood friend who passed away's birthday. 

More coffee.

6 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

What would you personally set the O/U at for new commitments before Cedric Baxter on August 10?

Including Baxter, the line is 3.5

On 7/9/2022 at 2:24 AM, Fletch said:

Wait this could happen? Thought we had no interest at all in Shanahan. I’m a total Westlake homer and I’m not totally sure I want him but fuck it. He’s got a mean streak at guard and toying with aggy since the sec announcement has been a fucking blast 

Now if we take Shanahan, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t take Greathouse. I know he loves Norte dame but like 8 or some shit or his former teammates are on the team. Arch throwing to him in the slot and on goal line jump balls would be unfair. 

This is pretty awesome. Under Herman and Hand, Shanahan and Greathouse would be top targets while going all in on Novosad or some shit. Got damn this is fun 

Have all the services gone through and done their summer updates yet?

image.png.8163322a12e4241353bd5a606e4d156d.png

his ranking is still wonky AF

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I was thinking under.  I am assuming aggy does some things, or at least tries to, to get a group to their pool party and then work hard on them.  

not that I’d bet it, but that’d be my WAG reasoning. 

Probably right. I certainly wouldn’t put money on my guess of the over. 

On 7/9/2022 at 11:42 AM, victory88 said:

I will say, lots of other fanbases said Xavier Worthy and Jayden Blue had “character” problems during their recruitments and would be team cancers.  One is considered a team leader now and the other one has put his head down and worked since he enrolled and is expected to be a contributor.   These 16 year olds are now under a microscope with social media.  They are going to make mistakes and do stupid shit like most teenagers.  If they are breaking laws, then fair game… otherwise we just look like aggy.  

if you looked at Jayden Blue's recruitment and didn't see red flags the size of Texas (didn't he quit on the team? "skipped" his senior year after asking to come back and was unanimously voted against by team captains? actions during recruitment around A&M while committed to Texas, etc) you must not have been paying attention.

it is way, way, way, way, way too early to say it's all good on the Blue front.

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ll reiterate what I’ve said previously in that I won’t be shocked if Muhammed is the next commitment. I will be shocked if he makes it out of the dead period without having dropped a video or edit. 

When Texas lands MM, it does have adjacent value with several other defensive targets as well, and ahead of the aggie pool party push. 

ATM is unsurprisingly trying to make a few very large “one day and one day only!” offers at their gathering. That might work with a few guys. However, as discussed here, that’s something that other programs have prepared for this round and already made it clear to players that they shouldn’t accept any “take it or leave it forever” type offers from ATM or anyone else. 

The CB out of Alabama is a good example of the process that I’m referencing. He heads to ATM set to take numerous visits and leaves ATM shutting everything down. Problem is, the guy lives in Alabama, not College Station. There are ways for Bama to get in the middle of that no matter what Fisher promises or threatens. Harder for state of Texas recruits, especially those in aggie friendly territory with aggie alums on staffs. Something worth watching. Areas where Chris Gilbert has influence aren’t those areas, fwiw. 

It’s crazy to me to think about how bold, yet instructive, it was the first time this kind of thing went down with Demas. 

Would be sick to get his commitment to pop and him not attend the Aggie pool party and some of the adjacent targets you mention come in to Texas for that last weekend and hopefully arch comes as well and hopefully we close out august with elite defensive prospects in the fold and that would be awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ll reiterate what I’ve said previously in that I won’t be shocked if Muhammed is the next commitment. I will be shocked if he makes it out of the dead period without having dropped a video or edit. 

When Texas lands MM, it does have adjacent value with several other defensive targets as well, and ahead of the aggie pool party push. 

ATM is unsurprisingly trying to make a few very large “one day and one day only!” offers at their gathering. That might work with a few guys. However, as discussed here, that’s something that other programs have prepared for this round and already made it clear to players that they shouldn’t accept any “take it or leave it forever” type offers from ATM or anyone else. 

The CB out of Alabama is a good example of the process that I’m referencing. He heads to ATM set to take numerous visits and leaves ATM shutting everything down. Problem is, the guy lives in Alabama, not College Station. There are ways for Bama to get in the middle of that no matter what Fisher promises or threatens. Harder for state of Texas recruits, especially those in aggie friendly territory with aggie alums on staffs. Something worth watching. Areas where Chris Gilbert has influence aren’t those areas, fwiw. 

It’s crazy to me to think about how bold, yet instructive, it was the first time this kind of thing went down with Demas. 

Lets just hope it doesnt work with Anthony Hill

if you looked at Jayden Blue's recruitment and didn't see red flags the size of Texas (didn't he quit on the team? "skipped" his senior year after asking to come back and was unanimously voted against by team captains? actions during recruitment around A&M while committed to Texas, etc) you must not have been paying attention.
it is way, way, way, way, way too early to say it's all good on the Blue front.

Because High Schoolers are known to make good decisions… especially when a group of them is voting on something. Sounds like young jaded boys partaking in groupthink after being publicly spurned. Maybe he’s cancer or maybe the team had other cancerous members leading the charge. Maybe he WAS cancer but that lesson has turned him benign.

5 minutes ago, Rokotosh said:

I won't pretend to have insight into what Hill or other players will decide at the most glamorous and best catered pool party the world will ever know. 

I do know that I consider ultimatums of this sort the easiest thing in the world to deal with. 

Fuck you. No, double fuck you.

Such presumption.

7 minutes ago, Rokotosh said:

I have never taken Hicks seriously as a guy that would wind up at Texas, so if and when ATM lands Hicks, I don’t see how that bothers me at all. 

I’ve allowed myself to believe that Texas has a great shot with Hill. So, yeah, it’s going to fucking eat me up if they’re able to land him with their big push. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Would be sick to get his commitment to pop and him not attend the Aggie pool party and some of the adjacent targets you mention come in to Texas for that last weekend and hopefully arch comes as well and hopefully we close out august with elite defensive prospects in the fold and that would be awesome.

There is so much stream of thought/fuck punctuation in this post that James Joyce is embarrassed for you. 

11 minutes ago, Chopper said:

In retrospect it's not surprising to learn that aggy uses take it or leave it, good for one-day-only offers. Jimbo probably got his sales training from some mortgage-life insurance agent.

Well, it IS the field of employment for approximately 62% of all aggie graduates, so...

Scoop:

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan:

GH: 65%. This one is still trending in the right direction for the Longhorns ahead of the scheduled visit to Texas A&M at the end of the month.
JW: 65%. Hill and Texas continue to pickup steam. A&M is selling defense, UT is selling everything else (early PT, familiarity on the roster, 2023 recruits pushing).
EN: 70%. Huge need, huge opportunity for Hill to play very early, multiple recruits pulling him in the direction of UT. I love the way this sets up for UT, but that A&M visit does loom.

Cedric Baxter Jr., RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater:

GH: 75%. I remain the same as I have with the On3 RPM pick. Hearing nothing different one month from the decision.
JW: 60%. Nabbing the nation’s top tailback from out-of-state is always a tall task. But Tashard Choice seems up to it.
EN: 70%. I remember internal conversations when we realized UT was pulling back on Rueben Owens and going all in on Baxter. We knew right then how confident they must be to make that decision. Still, we were a little leery but that’s been wearing off over recent weeks. The pre-existing relationship between Choice and Baxter is huge here. If he pulls this off, what a hire by Steve Sarkisian.

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff:

GH: 70%. Like Hill, this one continues to be trending in the right direction. Muhammad is a real fit at Texas. And this would be a huge win for the Longhorns staff. A Muhammad and Cook combo in DFW would be huge in 2023, and beyond.
JW: 70%. Once it became clear how serious each party was about each other, sparks really flew.
EN: 75%. Slack recruitments are fun to watch unfold. You’re sitting there wondering why a recruitment isn’t going anywhere, then next thing you know, you’re the leader.

David Hicks, DL, Katy (Texas) Paetow:

GH: 40%. Hicks will be at Oklahoma to end July. He does love Todd Bates. Texas A&M and Oklahoma now have Texas to contend with, with an announcement still months away.
JW: 35%. Recruit through the whistle and be in it around December. That’s when it’ll get good.
EN: 45%. Hicks will be a lagging indicator for the class as well as the season. If UT wins 9-10 games, this percentage goes way up.

Derion Gullette, EDGE/LB, Marlin (Texas) High:

GH: 80%. Gullette wants to be at Texas. This week should be a big one on the timeline and could determine how long this recruitment plays out. A visit to Texas A&M at the end of July is not out of the question.
JW: 75%. UT made up ground monthly since Texas Relays and that hasn’t stopped.
EN: 80%. Texas is the best scheme fit for him and has recruited him the hardest. It should already be over, imo, especially given the knee injury.

Javien Toviano, DB, Arlington (Texas) Martin:

GH: 45%. The out of state powers are in it. Oregon, Michigan, Alabama, LSU and Georgia. But at the end of the day this one is still trending to Texas vs. Texas A&M.
JW: 45%. These percentages increase if he makes it to campus for the July 29th BBQ event.
EN: 50%. Texas isn’t the leader — there probably isn’t one — but is in good position to stick the landing.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, WR, Temple (Texas) and Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (Texas): First come, first serve. Harrison-Pilot still wants to take his officials, and Hale needs to visit at the end of July. Hale’s decision will likely come before MHP’s, but Alabama and Georgia are involved too.

Freddie Dubose, WR, New Braunfels (Texas) Smithson Valley (2024): The 6-foot-2, 175-pound four-star has his eyes on UT. Texas A&M, Baylor, and Utah are the mix, but this is trending Texas. He recently transferred to Smithson Valley from Schertz Clemens.

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It seems that schools had adjusted to A&Ms tactics late in the last cycle.  See 'Perkins, Harold'.

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Scoop:

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan:

GH: 65%. This one is still trending in the right direction for the Longhorns ahead of the scheduled visit to Texas A&M at the end of the month.
JW: 65%. Hill and Texas continue to pickup steam. A&M is selling defense, UT is selling everything else (early PT, familiarity on the roster, 2023 recruits pushing).
EN: 70%. Huge need, huge opportunity for Hill to play very early, multiple recruits pulling him in the direction of UT. I love the way this sets up for UT, but that A&M visit does loom.

Cedric Baxter Jr., RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater:

GH: 75%. I remain the same as I have with the On3 RPM pick. Hearing nothing different one month from the decision.
JW: 60%. Nabbing the nation’s top tailback from out-of-state is always a tall task. But Tashard Choice seems up to it.
EN: 70%. I remember internal conversations when we realized UT was pulling back on Rueben Owens and going all in on Baxter. We knew right then how confident they must be to make that decision. Still, we were a little leery but that’s been wearing off over recent weeks. The pre-existing relationship between Choice and Baxter is huge here. If he pulls this off, what a hire by Steve Sarkisian.

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff:

GH: 70%. Like Hill, this one continues to be trending in the right direction. Muhammad is a real fit at Texas. And this would be a huge win for the Longhorns staff. A Muhammad and Cook combo in DFW would be huge in 2023, and beyond.
JW: 70%. Once it became clear how serious each party was about each other, sparks really flew.
EN: 75%. Slack recruitments are fun to watch unfold. You’re sitting there wondering why a recruitment isn’t going anywhere, then next thing you know, you’re the leader.

David Hicks, DL, Katy (Texas) Paetow:

GH: 40%. Hicks will be at Oklahoma to end July. He does love Todd Bates. Texas A&M and Oklahoma now have Texas to contend with, with an announcement still months away.
JW: 35%. Recruit through the whistle and be in it around December. That’s when it’ll get good.
EN: 45%. Hicks will be a lagging indicator for the class as well as the season. If UT wins 9-10 games, this percentage goes way up.

Derion Gullette, EDGE/LB, Marlin (Texas) High:

GH: 80%. Gullette wants to be at Texas. This week should be a big one on the timeline and could determine how long this recruitment plays out. A visit to Texas A&M at the end of July is not out of the question.
JW: 75%. UT made up ground monthly since Texas Relays and that hasn’t stopped.
EN: 80%. Texas is the best scheme fit for him and has recruited him the hardest. It should already be over, imo, especially given the knee injury.

Javien Toviano, DB, Arlington (Texas) Martin:

GH: 45%. The out of state powers are in it. Oregon, Michigan, Alabama, LSU and Georgia. But at the end of the day this one is still trending to Texas vs. Texas A&M.
JW: 45%. These percentages increase if he makes it to campus for the July 29th BBQ event.
EN: 50%. Texas isn’t the leader — there probably isn’t one — but is in good position to stick the landing.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, WR, Temple (Texas) and Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (Texas): First come, first serve. Harrison-Pilot still wants to take his officials, and Hale needs to visit at the end of July. Hale’s decision will likely come before MHP’s, but Alabama and Georgia are involved too.

Freddie Dubose, WR, New Braunfels (Texas) Smithson Valley (2024): The 6-foot-2, 175-pound four-star has his eyes on UT. Texas A&M, Baylor, and Utah are the mix, but this is trending Texas. He recently transferred to Smithson Valley from Schertz Clemens.

I seriously think this might be the first time I remember seeing Freddie Dubose's name on this thread. Have I been living under a rock? Where did that come from?

36 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Because High Schoolers are known to make good decisions… especially when a group of them is voting on something. Sounds like young jaded boys partaking in groupthink after being publicly spurned. Maybe he’s cancer or maybe the team had other cancerous members leading the charge. Maybe he WAS cancer but that lesson has turned him benign.

are you serious?

his team refused to allow him back even though he was, at the time, the #1 RB recruit in the country? because of GROUPTHINK?!

come on man. there is so much smoke out there about this. it isn't fake.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Meekins was a solid recruiter, but Herman told people he was a better or equal version of Traylor. So yeah.

I mean, isn't Meekins basically the "we have a Jeff Traylor at Home" HOU version of Jeff Traylor resume wise?

tied in as a coach, brother involved, etc.

just less success at the HS, college level. less success as an assistant and head coach at the HS and college level.

We should be happy that Tom Herman is so shit at putting together a coaching staff and decided he didn't like Traylor...he may still have been the head coach here.

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Goose Top Gun GIF - Goose Top Gun Laughing - Discover & Share GIFs

sorry, to be clear I am no Meekins superfan.

but on paper wasn't that basically what Meekins was supposed to be? connected as a coach and his brother is a coach in HOU. spent time recruiting at U of H before here?

clearly it didn't work out and clearly he wasn't the Houston version of Jeff Traylor (lololol)

Just now, NoName said:

I mean, isn't Meekins basically the "we have a Jeff Traylor at Home" HOU version of Jeff Traylor resume wise?

tied in as a coach, brother involved, etc.

just less success at the HS, college level. less success as an assistant and head coach at the HS and college level.

We should be happy that Tom Herman is so shit at putting together a coaching staff and decided he didn't like Traylor...he may still have been the head coach here.

Meekins calling card was he was the head coach at Ed Oliver's high school. That was a big reason he got on staff at U of H. He was an asset in Houston but he wasn't a rainmaker by any means.

If I remember right, Traylor was not a fan of Herman and not likely to work for him. So even if Herman wanted him to stay I don't know if it happens.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Meekins calling card was he was the head coach at Ed Oliver's high school. That was a big reason he got on staff at U of H. He was an asset in Houston but he wasn't a rainmaker by any means.

If I remember right, Traylor was not a fan of Herman and not likely to work for him. So even if Herman wanted him to stay I don't know if it happens.

I thought it was all but confirmed that Traylor didn't like Herman but wanted to stay or the AD wanted Traylor to stay?

Herman just wanted to bring in all his guys. Didn't they have an "interview" ?

54 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

That's some serious delusion. High school football players want to WIN so refusing to bring back a player that would help them win is a red flag.

Of course he could mature or change and we shall see.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Vermin said:

That's some serious delusion. High school football players want to WIN so refusing to bring back a player that would help them win is a red flag.

The early reports are he's maturing and has been doing well with workouts, the team, and etc. That probably was a real growing up moment for him which in turn could help us out.

• Like 1

Would love this staff to get Muhammad, Gullette, and Hill to commit publicly during the dead period and shut it down. That would just torpedo the Aggie pool party. Hicks and Toviano seem like ones where we just keep contact open and if we have a great season, then they will want on board. I’m not getting my hopes up for either. 

The delusion here is assuming teenagers are rational on either side of this particular Blue fence. Either way, early reports are that he’s been a good teammate so far. Having several studs ahead of him on the depth chart probably helps. He can’t think he’s always the best player on the field or even in the position group.

20 minutes ago, NoName said:

I thought it was all but confirmed that Traylor didn't like Herman but wanted to stay or the AD wanted Traylor to stay?

Herman just wanted to bring in all his guys. Didn't they have an "interview" ?

He wanted to stay and would have stayed if offered the opportunity. His dislike for Herman grew out of how Herman handled his “interview” and come in talking reckless to everybody associated with the program. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

The delusion here is assuming teenagers are rational on either side of this particular Blue fence. Either way, early reports are that he’s been a good teammate so far. Having several studs ahead of him on the depth chart probably helps. He can’t think he’s always the best player on the field or even in the position group.

Whatever Blue's deal may be, you've gotta think that joining a room with Roschon, Bijan, and Keilan Robinson is about the best possible situation for him. Clearly those guys know what it takes to be successful at this level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1