Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

8 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

He wanted to stay and would have stayed if offered the opportunity. His dislike for Herman grew out of how Herman handled his “interview” and come in talking reckless to everybody associated with the program. 

Sounds right. I may be way off here, but I swore I remember reading something how Herman gave some thought to potentially keeping Gilbert in some type of Co-OC role. 

But yeah, those interviews with the old staff were never serious.

Edited by Hookem2147

Roach, on Muhammad.  Interesting.

Spoiler

The Longhorns have been surging a bit with Muhammad who is down to a Top 3 of Texas, Alabama and Texas A&M. Last week, sources told us they believe this race would come down to Texas or Alabama as of right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

He tagged recruiting guys from Texas, USC and aggy...  Idk who rivalsnick is but seems unbiased. And then hayes.

Top 3 is my guess

That's Nick Harris who was literally a Texas recruiting guy for 247 up till a couple months ago

1 minute ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

He tagged recruiting guys from Texas, USC and aggy...  Idk who rivalsnick is but seems unbiased. And then hayes.

Top 3 is my guess

Nick, ex 247 Texas mod (the guy before Standish) who's now national recruiting analyst for Rivals

5 minutes ago, Teryor said:

That's Nick Harris who was literally a Texas recruiting guy for 247 up till a couple months ago

4 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Nick, ex 247 Texas mod (the guy before Standish) who's now national recruiting analyst for Rivals

Gotcha thanks. So he's national now but for rivals... Lateral move?

Edited by Mr. Mojo Risin'
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Traylor definitely wanted to stay at Texas. I was present at a recruiting presentation of his this spring at UTSA. When speaking on his resume, he said that  the one thing he would change about his career was winning at Texas. He even got emotional when talking about the pleasure he receives by having many people from that roster/staff currently getting to experience success with him at UTSA. He loves Austin and UT and he really admired Coach Strong. It was evident to me while he was speaking that Texas is his dream job.

I like Traylor but pretty much everyone on that staff is (to me) damned by association.  

Edited by LCHorn

8 hours ago, irishtexan said:

"Really great interview" and "FCB" do not belong in the same sentence.

Well, if you want to know a bit more about how the recruitment went down then give it a chance.  Nelson Stewart gives a lot of juicy details.

Edited by westexhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

Not a chance in hell that I would let my wife drive my motor home on the "million dollar highway."  Shit i don't even let her roll it out of the driveway.

Funny story...  Back when I was 19, went on a road trip with the fam.  Drove thousands of mile from SA to the grand canyon, north to Montana, further north into the the Canadian Rockies and then back down through the Montana plains, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico.  All in a 31 ft Class C.  I drove ALL of those +/- 7000 miles.  Driving through many mountain passes, I ignored signs such as "vehicles over 24 ft not permitted."  Never had an issue, until the road up to Takakkaw Falls in Yoho.  On one of the last switchbacks towards the top, my vehicle was too long and couldn't make the curve.  I had to white knuckle reverse that beast back down the mountain.  Tied up traffic.  Had countless tourists flip me off and/or yell obscenities.  My ex-wife was so fucking scared, she actually got out and walked a good portion of the ordeal.  Took me almost three hours.  Moral of the story is; don't ignore the warning signs....

Ah...so you're one of THOSE people...

19 minutes ago, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

Not a chance in hell that I would let my wife drive my motor home on the "million dollar highway."  Shit i don't even let her roll it out of the driveway.

Funny story...  Back when I was 19, went on a road trip with the fam.  Drove thousands of mile from SA to the grand canyon, north to Montana, further north into the the Canadian Rockies and then back down through the Montana plains, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico.  All in a 31 ft Class C.  I drove ALL of those +/- 7000 miles.  Driving through many mountain passes, I ignored signs such as "vehicles over 24 ft not permitted."  Never had an issue, until the road up to Takakkaw Falls in Yoho.  On one of the last switchbacks towards the top, my vehicle was too long and couldn't make the curve.  I had to white knuckle reverse that beast back down the mountain.  Tied up traffic.  Had countless tourists flip me off and/or yell obscenities.  My ex-wife was so fucking scared, she actually got out and walked a good portion of the ordeal.  Took me almost three hours.  Moral of the story is; don't ignore the warning signs....

Nope.  Just nah man, no way.  I'd be walking down there with your ex wife.

My wife drove the truck (after I wrecked the RV) on the beartooth highway, the highway to the sky, often considered the most beautiful road in North America.  I am deathly afraid of heights.  The whole thing has 5,000 foot drops all over the place.  She was driving like a maniac at 20- 25 MPH (switchback with the signs calling for 10 MPH for safety) cackling at me the whole time as I was petrified the entire time.  When we got off that road I said to myself- never again will I drive (or ride) on a road like that.  Nope. I would have abandoned the RV forever before I backed it down a road like what you are talking about.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So if Muhammed commits in the next week or two and bails on the aggy pool party, who besides Hill will be at it that we even care about?

I checked Texags and found a list. I feel gross.

Spoiler

OFFICIAL

- 4-star South Oak Cliff S Malik Muhammad (Likely)

-5-star Denton Ryan LB Anthony Hill

UNOFFICIAL

-5-star Katy Paetow DL David Hicks

-5-star Las Vegas (Nev.) Bishop Gorman WR Zachariah Branch (USC commit)

-4-star Austin Westlake OL TJ Shanahan

-4-star Shiner ATH Dalton Brooks

-4-star Friendswood EDGE Braylan Shelby

-4-star Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips OT Payton Kirkland (Maybe)

- 4-star Smithson Valley OT Colton Thomasson (Texas A&M commit)

- 4-star South Oak Cliff S Jayvon Thomas (Texas A&M commit)

- 4-star La Grange DB Bravion Rogers (Texas A&M Commit)

- Katy Paetow edge Daymion Sanford (Texas A&M Commit)

- Southlake Carroll K Tyler White (Texas A&M Commit)

-De La Salle OT Caden Jones

-2024 5-star Willis QB DJ Lagway

-2024 5-star Lake Belton WR Micah Hudson

-2024 4-star Lewisville S Jaydan Hardy

- 2024 4-star Longview Pine Tree DL Dealyn Evans

-2024 4-star Melissa DL Nigel Smith

-2025 IMG Academy WR Winston Watkins (Texas A&M Commit)

So just Muhammad, Hill, Hicks, Shelby, and (maybe?) Shanahan that we care about. No idea on the 2024 guys, I'm not following that cycle yet.

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My wife drove the truck (after I wrecked the RV) on the beartooth highway, the highway to the sky, often considered the most beautiful road in North America.  I am deathly afraid of heights.  The whole thing has 5,000 foot drops all over the place.  She was driving like a maniac at 20- 25 MPH (switchback with the signs calling for 10 MPH for safety) cackling at me the whole time as I was petrified the entire time.  When we got off that road I said to myself- never again will I drive (or ride) on a road like that.  Nope. I would have abandoned the RV forever before I backed it down a road like what you are talking about.  

You've already married Emily??

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm not afraid of heights, but that highway is both a breathtaking and daunting drive.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/9/2022 at 11:27 AM, ClubWhatever said:

@RGBIII said he had a "not so fun" story about Hale.

On 7/9/2022 at 11:35 AM, BornAndRaised said:

RGB3 has referenced it a few times.

On 7/9/2022 at 12:08 PM, victory88 said:

I’m not specifically referencing to RGIII.  Just have seen Hale referenced as a “character” risk multiple times the last few days and I’ve never seen anything from his recruitment to think that.  In fact he seems pretty low key.    I could be way off base but put me in the camp that hopes he ends up in burnt orange.  A WR group of Cook, Niblett, Hale, Wilson may be the best for the 2023 class.  

His stuff really isnt that big of an issue, if it was we wouldnt be recruiting him and I sure as shit wouldnt post about it on the board. There are way more dudes on campus already with way worse shit. I wouldnt sweat it and I will be happy if he commits here

On 7/9/2022 at 3:47 PM, closetojumping said:

The point about taking “character risks” because we always have and they can work out is fine by me. I wasn’t disputing that logic. I was disputing your equivocating on behalf of specific players as though there weren’t excellent reasons for people to have the character concerns. 

As all of this pertains to Hale, people have conflated my view about him and that of @RGBIII . I may have heard whatever he heard, but I don’t remember it if I did. I don’t personally give a fuck if Hale hates puppies and denies The Holocaust. If he can stay eligible without raping or murdering someone and help Texas win titles, sign him up. I’ve lost my illusions otherwise. We don’t need a roster full of mercenaries or lunatics, but a few that can make catches in the end zone in traffic and tackle a running back on 3rd and short at the LOS will work just fine. 

This. More Romance Taylors please

On 7/9/2022 at 5:36 PM, texifornia said:

We took Agiye Hall, a textbook culture gamble, as a transfer. Why is this so tough for everyone now?

ding ding

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Drove the Beartooth the next summer.  But parked the RV and rented a car.  MUCH netter experience.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Beartooth Highway is indeed spectacularly beautiful and breathtaking, but as I recall the road was fairly wide, well kept, and had guardrails most/all of the way.

One of the most unnerving trips I recall was Mt. Evans road.  It's billed as the highest paved road in North America and takes you to the top of a 14er.  The road was narrow, not in great shape in places, but most disconcerting was being above the treeline with no guardrails.  The steep drops with no rails or trees between you, the edge, and the bottom was nerve wracking.  However, the view form the top was spectacular and worth the drive nonetheless.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

Top 3 is my guess

Are there currently more than 3 schools he is considering? Seems like every report on him says it’s down to us or USC, with ATM being a way distant third. A top 3 just seems like stalling, or more likely a bid for getting more followers on IG/Twitter. 

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

ATM is unsurprisingly trying to make a few very large “one day and one day only!” offers at their gathering. That might work with a few guys. 

Would you say they got Jayvon Thomas and Rodgers this way?  Both committed about a month or two after being offered.

Putting this in the Texas thread.

(Perroni said it in the comments on the Aggie offensive board thread - posted that in the Jimbo '23 thread.)

This is the classic "Curious incident of the dog in the nighttime" response.  Missing are the reiterations of how the aggies are in good shape, he really likes where they are, etc.. Hopefully augurs well.

image.thumb.png.c337c3d04ea46b714e21fea04a130e44.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

One of the most unnerving trips I recall was Mt. Evans road.  It's billed as the highest paved road in North America and takes you to the top of a 14er.  The road was narrow, not in great shape in places, but most disconcerting was being above the treeline with no guardrails.  The steep drops with no rails or trees between you, the edge, and the bottom was nerve wracking.  However, the view form the top was spectacular and worth the drive nonetheless.

We were up there and the weather turned with a flip of a switch, snowing w/ thunder & lightning a couple of 1000' above the tree line.  White knuckle, driving down on a skinnyass, curvy, sleet covered road.  

The Million $ Highway between Silverton and Ouray is a spectacular drive. Appropriate use of the word "breathtaking."   

• Hook 'Em 3

Rule #1 of job offers.  NEVER accept exploding offers.  Any employer that tries that just say no.  They're either bluffing or you don't want to work there.

Rule number 1 of pretty much every offer unless there is legitimate reason for the deadline that the seller has no way to change. If they’re willing to do it today, they’ll be willing to do it tomorrow.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Fuck all that. I would’ve made the turn anyway, knowing that the left side of the rig was going to need extensive repair