Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I'm not sure why you're getting neg bombed, because I think it's a legitimate discussion and a position that lots of people out there probably agree with. Farrell's claim of 3-star is absurd, but 1.000 is also a pretty high bar to live up to. The two main concerns I've seen floating around are about his accuracy while on the move, and his level of competition in high school.

One thing you miss are the intangibles. By all accounts he's extraordinarily mature and focused for someone his age. He's been getting extremely high level instruction from basically the moment he could hold a football. And the name factor and recruiting bump that came along with him are very real. All that stuff adds to the physical traits.

I’m getting neg bombed by those who don’t like that my take doesn’t fit the off-season kool-aid narrative.

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I can't believe I am saying this but Ketchum had a great point on Arch today. He went and threw at Clemson, Bama, and Texas last year. Every one of those programs dropped what they were doing and solely recruited Arch until they knew for sure they were out of it. Georgia, the defending national champion with a screaming need at QB, went down swinging for Arch. Johntay Cook went to an event to check out Arch and came away raving about him and telling everyone how legit he was and then committed to go play with him. Those things don't scream overrated to me. 

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I’m getting neg bombed by those who don’t like that my take doesn’t fit the off-season kool-aid narrative.

No, you're getting neg bombed because your take was full of shit, like farrell. Are you an aggy? Why didn't to reply to @Vertigo he had a take on your take?

4 minutes ago, Lone Star Horn said:

No, you're getting neg bombed because your take was full of shit, like farrell. Are you an aggy? Why didn't to reply to @Vertigo he had a take on your take?

Yeah I’m an aggy, fucktard. That’s what I must be since I don’t jack off to the majority opinion.

I liked Vertigo’s take and repped accordingly. It didn’t contradict the fact that I don’t see Arch as the third perfectly rated quarterback in history.

I don’t think his arm strength is as good as Vince or Ewers. His mobility is average. But I do agree with others that his mental makeup and leadership abilities may be elite.

I don’t give a shit if I get negged for not buying into the groupthink. 

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Yeah I’m an aggy, fucktard. I liked Vertigo’s take and repped accordingly. It didn’t contradict the fact that I don’t see Arch as the third perfectly rated quarterback in history.

I don’t think his arm strength is as good as Vince or Ewers. His mobility is average. But I do agree with others that his mental makeup and leadership abilities may be elite.

You definitely implied that you didn't think Arch was elite. There's a big difference between arguing Arch isn't the 3rd perfectly rated quarterback and implying he isn't elite. Your initial post even asked "someone tell me what they see in Arch that is elite." 

Do you really think Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson wanted a quarterback that didn't have elite traits? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Yeah I’m an aggy, fucktard. I liked Vertigo’s take and repped accordingly. It didn’t contradict the fact that I don’t see Arch as the third perfectly rated quarterback in history.

calm down al pacino GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

It didn’t contradict the fact that I don’t see Arch as the third perfectly rated quarterback in history.

The 1.0000 ranking doesn’t mean he’s a perfectly rated quarterback prospect. That’s just a metric of rankings across different services.

All it means is he’s the consensus #1 prospect across all the services for 2023. It doesn’t have anything to do with evaluating him as one of the 3 best qb prospects of all time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You definitely implied that you didn't think Arch was elite. There's a big difference between arguing Arch isn't the 3rd perfectly rated quarterback and implying he isn't elite. Your initial post even asked "someone tell me what they see in Arch that is elite." 

Do you really think Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson wanted a quarterback that didn't have elite traits? 

Did you watch the film? I asked what you see that is elite and you said “ALABAMA AND GEORGIA AND CLEMSON WANT HIM.”

As I said, I’m thrilled we got him. Especially for the recruiting boom. I hope he turns out to be elite. That would be great, and I’m certainly wrong on this stuff more than I’m right.

We’ve seen elite around here and I’d love to see it again. 

Edited by Ghost of Shag

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

The 1.0000 ranking doesn’t mean he’s a perfectly rated quarterback prospect. That’s just a metric of rankings across different services.

All it means is he’s the consensus #1 prospect across all the services for 2023. It doesn’t have anything to do with evaluating him as one of the 3 best qb prospects of all time. 

Ok thanks. I didn’t realize that.

IIRC, these sites are ranking on draft projection more than Year 1 impact. From that perspective, Arch is a 5-star. He's got everything you want to mold into a Round 1 QB pick.

If it was about ability to take over a team Day One and lead it to championships, I don't think he's a 5-star. But how many QBs actually are?

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Did you watch the film? I asked what you see that is elite and you said ALABAMA AND GEORGIA AND CLEMSON WANT HIM.”

As I said, I’m thrilled we got him. Especially for the recruiting boom. I hope he turns out to be elite. That would be great, and I’m certainly wrong on this stuff more than I’m right.

We’ve seen elite around here and I’d love to see it again. 

You are going to negged, because you have said absolutely nothing on why you think he is not elite. You keep being broad about it. If you care to share the film you viewed and the points on why you think Arch is over-rated, I am guessing you would get a better response (still plenty of Negs, but others would at listen listen)

Just now, Codaxx said:

You are going to negged, because you have said absolutely nothing on why you think he is not elite. You keep being broad about it. If you care to share the film you viewed and the points on why you think Arch is over-rated, I am guessing you would get a better response (still plenty of Negs, but others would at listen listen)

The best part is him saying "I trust my eyes over the 9.95ers" and then acting as if we shouldn't trust the eyes of the best college football programs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The Arch Manning talent shading coming from elsewhere and occasionally being hand wrung about here is nauseating, if predictable. There will not be a more mentally prepared QB for the CFB game than this guy. He's charismatic to boot and people want to play with him. He has a fucking cannon. And he's not a tree in the pocket like his uncles or Simms, all of whom were also highly touted and carried the other factors.

Does the guy work out for Texas? Hope so, but there are no guarantees. Are there better QB prospects in this cycle or most others? No.

Shading the guy for writers is clickbait. And boy, Mike Farrell needs himself some clicks. He's been a craven piece of shit for decades when it comes to his biases and driving a story.

Shading the guy for aggies is as common as them breathing through their mouths and insecurely clinging to delusions of grandeur.

Shading the guy on this site? It's JAQ'ing off 101. 

Yea but he doesn’t do flag football camps against air. Literally nobody has ever seen him throw. He’s clearly hiding something. I don’t trust him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The best part is him saying "I trust my eyes over the 9.95ers" and then acting as if we shouldn't trust the eyes of the best college football programs. 

Blind trust does seem to be your favorite approach. I’ll bet Tom Herman did a number on your psyche.

13 hours ago, Viper said:

There's no way he'd still be invited right? Jimbo wouldn't let a young man come into his home and eat his food and use his possessions for their own pleasure while Jimbo just watches it all. It would just violate Jimbo's relationship. That doesn't seem like something he would do or have experience with. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

I can't imagine a more welcoming atmosphere for a young man with a last name Muhammad than Bryan/College Station, TX

You don't think he was looking forward having to go by "Mo" or "Moose"

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

At this point I think it is trolling. I am fine with if he said something interesting or pointed to a certain aspect of his game he did not like. Saying I think he is over-rated because I watched his highlights and say so, is just weak as fuck. 

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Blind trust does seem to be your favorite approach. I’ll bet Tom Herman did a number on your psyche.

You don’t have any football expertise, you’re literally just parroting what you read somewhere and then turning around and declaring yourself a “free-thinker” for doing so. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Has a Manning ever failed at football?

It would be reasonable for him to actually receive a bump due to his name. Pretty rare to have access to that much knowledge and resources. He fits the physical profile and has shown to date he fits the mental profile.

Damn, Everyone always forgets Cooper

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The Arch Manning talent shading coming from elsewhere and occasionally being hand wrung about here is nauseating, if predictable. There will not be a more mentally prepared QB for the CFB game than this guy. He's charismatic to boot and people want to play with him. He has a fucking cannon. And he's not a tree in the pocket like his uncles or Simms, all of whom were also highly touted and carried the other factors.

Simms was many things, but 'mentally prepared' wasn't one of them. One win away from the Big 12 title and a spot in the national championship game, and he suffered a colossal meltdown against a Colorado team we had crushed by five touchdowns in the regular season.

• Rage+1 2

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Does the guy work out for Texas? Hope so, but there are no guarantees. Are there better QB prospects in this cycle or most others? No.

Shading the guy for writers is clickbait. And boy, Mike Farrell needs himself some clicks. He's been a craven piece of shit for decades when it comes to his biases and driving a story.

Shading the guy for aggies is as common as them breathing through their mouths and insecurely clinging to delusions of grandeur.

Shading the guy on this site? It's JAQ'ing off 101. 

The thing these asshats are missing is that the recruits don't give a fuck what the asshats are spewing. The 2023 recruits believe in Arch. Arch recruiting impact is real. Texas is feasting since he committed. 

He may be a bust or he may be as expected and light up the field, but there's no debate that he is a huge positive on the perceived direction of the program. The recruits he's helping to bring in will change the course of the program. This happened with Chris Simms. Chris' committing changed the direction of the program for the next few years including Vince's National Championship team. Chris didn't pan out but his impact was tremendous. Arch is no different.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Simms was many things, but 'mentally prepared' wasn't one of them. One win away from the Big 12 title and a spot in the national championship game, and he suffered a colossal meltdown against a Colorado team we had crushed by five touchdowns in the regular season.

There’s a difference between being mentally prepared your whole life to play the position and having mental toughness in big moments. It seems like someone who’s as mentally fragile as you should understand that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Chris Simms was a very good college quarterback and was on his way to being a good pro qb prior to almost dying on the field while leading his team on a game-winning drive.

I was and still am a huge Simms fan. He didn't produce during big games but he did have GDGD as the OC and scared FUPM as HC. I see his impact beyond the OU and Big 12 championship games. That's what the Chris haters fail to see, but that's for a totally separate thread.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 8

Wednesday Huddle: Crystal Ballin

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

Wednesday Huddle: Crystal Ballin

Hudson Standish

Dallas South Oak Cliff 2023 cornerback Malik Muhammad announced last night that he commit on July 20th from a top three of Texas, Texas A&M, and Alabama. Since his Texas official visit in mid June we’ve heard that the Horns were the team to beat for Muhammad, and that momentum has carried into his decision window with the high four-star moving his date before a potential Texas A&M visit for their BBQ at the end of the month.

As I reported earlier in the week most of what we’re hearing has been a Texas vs. Alabama battle and while I’m issuing a seven confidence prediction for Muhammad to select Texas, I am going to keep my head on a swivel for Alabama to pressure for a flip during the fall.

In addition to Muhammad, I’ve also entered a crystal ball prediction for Texas to end up with Longview wide receiver Jalen Hale ahead of a likely September commitment date. The high four-star athlete is down to a final three of Georgia, Texas, and Alabama with the Bulldogs as the main competition.

I predicted Hale to Texas with a five on the confidence scale, so while I am feeling good enough to put in a crystal ball it should be noted it’s lower than my normal confidence scores of 6-8.

Speaking of confidence, I dropped my confidence for Mikal Harrison-Pilot from a 6 to a 3 because of uncertainty surrounding his spot in the class. The information we’ve been hearing is that Harrison-Pilot likely won’t have a spot as a wideout if Jalen Hale commits in September. However, his ability to potentially play defense (if he chooses) in addition to the chance Hale‘s recruitment takes a twist before his announcement is why I’m only lowering confidence instead of ditching the pick all together. Harrison-Pilot is still planning on a late fall timeline according to sources.

3 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Adding the guys who seem likely to decide in the next month or so:

Hill, Muhammad, Baxter Jr, Hale, Gullette, and Shelby

Gets us just over 300 points in the calculator with still some top targets to go. Incredible.

Yeah, we’re at 18 commits and taking at least 10 more, probably higher than that if we keep landing top targets. We’ll either be pushing a few guys out of the bottom of this class near NSD, like we did last year, or aggressively pushing some current players out of the program to stick to the 85. 

51 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

It’s amazing how many people don’t understand this. Mind boggling actually. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Can you imagine how much money the one recruit who actually attends the pool party is gonna have thrown at him? 

That guy is gonna have the lowest deductible car insurance policy available in the continental United States! 

Imagine when he finds out about the bundle!

image.thumb.jpeg.90095276dec2cb61eed89077ce6f78fb.jpeg

• Haha 3