Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 minute ago, Sejjr said:

Imagine when he finds out about the bundle!

image.thumb.jpeg.90095276dec2cb61eed89077ce6f78fb.jpeg

Look man, I know we’ve listed some of Hamm’s personal info on here in the past, but posting a picture of his car and home is  too far. No idea what the money’s doing in the photo. Maybe it’s alimony backpay now that he’s making so much money off his new website. 

• Haha 8

5 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I care, bitch.

Sorry for the football conversation.

It’s just that the exact same post has been made 1000 times on texags, but without the “this might be unpopular” qualifying statement.  

Arch plays on a pretty average team, but he leads them to a respectable record. He’s on the run a lot due to poor line play, but he’s crazy accurate. Hard to imagine a concept that he can’t understand or that the game will be too fast for him. Size projects to the NFL. Strength projects to the NFL. Athleticism won’t limit him as much as it did his uncles, but he’s not VY. He’s as solid a 5-star as you’ll see. 

And his family is fun af. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit
  • Hook 'Em 3

58 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I see his impact beyond the OU and Big 12 championship games. That's what the Chris haters fail to see, but that's for a totally separate thread.

"I see his impact beyond all the games he choked in, which happen to be all the important ones"... kind of makes my point. Zero touchdowns and 12 interceptions against blOU, and of course the abomination against Colorado. His lack of mental toughness in the key situations set a hard ceiling on what those early-2000s teams could accomplish, talented as they were. Anyway,

Gerry Hamilton: Braylan Shelby down to Texas and USC

On3 Consensus 4-star EDGE prospect Braylan Shelby announced via social media that he is down to Texas and USC. The 6-foot-5, 235-pound athletic defender had been considering a late July unofficial visit to Texas A&M after being in offered by the Aggies on June 22. But that will not happen, and now the Houston area prospect continues the decision making process with the Longhorns and Trojans. Shelby has made four visits to Texas throughout the recruiting process, including an official visit on June 24. Texas linebackers coach Jeff Choate is leading the Shelby recruitment for the Longhorns.

USC and Los Angeles blew Shelby away during a spring unofficial visit. And Shelby has continued to be fond of the West Coast and the Trojans. Shaun Nua is leading the recruitment for USC. Texas holds a slight edge over USC in the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine headed into the last leg of Shelby’s decision making process. The No. 254 ranked prospect in the On300 broke down the two finalists for On3’s Hayes Fawcett.

Texas

“There ain’t nothing like playing for the state you grew up in,” Shelby said. “I’ve visited Texas around four times now, each one being better and better. I love what they got going for them. The program Coach Sark is building is something special. I love the mentality the players got and that vision of succeeding. I also love the way they visualize using my athleticism.”

USC

“USC felt like a home away from home when I first visited,” Shelby said. “That’s why I knew I had to come back for an official visit. It was the family atmosphere and the vision Coach Riley had that caught my attention. I feel like I would be able to not only become a better football player there but also a better man. I love their schemes on defense and the way they would utilize me. They also have one of the top educations in the country.”

Shelby ranks as the No. 265 player in the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that accounts for all four major recruiting sites. He also tabs in as the No. 34 Edge and the No. 48 player in the state of Texas. Shelby totaled 77 tackles and eight sacks in 2021.

Edited by satyanash

58 minutes ago, satyanash said:

"I see his impact beyond all the games he choked in, which happen to be all the important ones"... kind of makes my point. Zero touchdowns and 12 interceptions against blOU, and of course the abomination against Colorado. His lack of mental toughness in the key situations set a hard ceiling on what those early-2000s teams could accomplish, talented as they were. Anyway,

A lot of this was butter teeth and GDGD as much as it was Simms.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I’m getting neg bombed by those who don’t like that my take doesn’t fit the off-season kool-aid narrative.

No, you're getting neg bombed because your take is lazy. But by all means keep it up. The only thing Arch probably lacks is a chip on his shoulder.

15 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

This won’t be popular but I’m interested in the discussion.

Let me say you front that I’m thrilled for Arch Manning’s commitment. Mostly I’m thrilled because of the recruiting boom it gives us. Also excited to have the Mannings as a part of the program.

But I’m of the camp that’s undecided on Arch as a five-star quarterback. If you watch his junior film, there’s nothing that screams “five-star,” much less #1 player in the nation, much less third 1.000 rated player in history. Vince jumped off the video. Ewers had the arm and accuracy and made it look simple. 

Farrell got crushed today for saying Arch would be a three-star if not for his last name. I don’t know if I’d go that far, but I’m not seeing what apparently everyone else is seeing, particularly all the recruiting sites. But I trust my eyes more than the 9.95ers anyway. 

Someone tell me what they see in Arch that is elite. 

For what it's worth, I agree with you. Arch's film and stats don't support a 1.000 rating. That's not a particularly hot take so I don't know why people are negging you. That said, there's a lot of ground between the top player in the nation and a three star. Farrell is a moron and deserved to get crushed. Or better yet, ignored.

Reasonable people, however, can debate what Arch's rating should be. His numbers are pretty mediocre. His was fantastic as a freshman - 2400 yards passing, 34 tds, and 6 interceptions. His production has gone down each of the last two years, though. Last season he threw for 1400 yards, 17 tds and 4 interceptions. A lot of that will depend on his team. Still, it doesn't scream number one player. On the other hand, Ketch's argument for why Arch deserves his rating is probably the best - Texas, Alabama, and Georgia have seen him work out and really wanted him and other guys want to be on his team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

But I’m of the camp that’s undecided on Arch as a five-star quarterback. If you watch his junior film, there’s nothing that screams “five-star,” much less #1 player in the nation, much less third 1.000 rated player in history.

3I6.gif

JK, breh.  Supposed to be site for discussion, not groupthink propaganda.  That's aggy shit.

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Simms was many things, but 'mentally prepared' wasn't one of them. One win away from the Big 12 title and a spot in the national championship game, and he suffered a colossal meltdown against a Colorado team we had crushed by five touchdowns in the regular season.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

There’s a difference between being mentally prepared your whole life to play the position and having mental toughness in big moments. It seems like someone who’s as mentally fragile as you should understand that. 

Burt has it straight. I wasn't discussing Manning's expected performance during a game. None of us can predict the stones a guy will have during a fucking game at the next level. The notion that Simms wasn't prepared for playing QB at the college level as well as anyone could have been is so absurd that I won't even dignify further discussion on it from my end. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

For what it's worth, I agree with you. Arch's film and stats don't support a 1.000 rating. That's not a particularly hot take so I don't know why people are negging you. That said, there's a lot of ground between the top player in the nation and a three star. Farrell is a moron and deserved to get crushed. Or better yet, ignored.

Reasonable people, however, can debate what Arch's rating should be. His numbers are pretty mediocre. His was fantastic as a freshman - 2400 yards passing, 34 tds, and 6 interceptions. His production has gone down each of the last two years, though. Last season he threw for 1400 yards, 17 tds and 4 interceptions. A lot of that will depend on his team. Still, it doesn't scream number one player. On the other hand, Ketch's argument for why Arch deserves his rating is probably the best - Texas, Alabama, and Georgia have seen him work out and really wanted him and other guys want to be on his team. 

He is the consensus number one player in the country. He has prototype size and prototype skills and prototype leader and is from a family of NFL quarterbacks. If that doesn't scream that he has a high likelihood of success then I don't know what does.

• Hook 'Em 7

17 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

This won’t be popular but I’m interested in the discussion.

Let me say you front that I’m thrilled for Arch Manning’s commitment. Mostly I’m thrilled because of the recruiting boom it gives us. Also excited to have the Mannings as a part of the program.

But I’m of the camp that’s undecided on Arch as a five-star quarterback. If you watch his junior film, there’s nothing that screams “five-star,” much less #1 player in the nation, much less third 1.000 rated player in history. Vince jumped off the video. Ewers had the arm and accuracy and made it look simple. 

Farrell got crushed today for saying Arch would be a three-star if not for his last name. I don’t know if I’d go that far, but I’m not seeing what apparently everyone else is seeing, particularly all the recruiting sites. But I trust my eyes more than the 9.95ers anyway. 

Someone tell me what they see in Arch that is elite. 

clown-question-bryce-harper.gif

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Simms was many things, but 'mentally prepared' wasn't one of them. One win away from the Big 12 title and a spot in the national championship game, and he suffered a colossal meltdown against a Colorado team we had crushed by five touchdowns in the regular season.

I had a party to go to in another town that night.  I watched the first drive with the deep pass to Sloan Thomas and the subsequent Benson TD.  Knowing we crushed those guys in the regular season, I hopped in the car with glee hoping to catch some of the second half when I got there.  When I blissfully emerged from the vehicle on the other end, first thing I did was commandeer the TV to check the score.  I had to check to make sure that I hadn't already ingested my drugs for the evening.  Between this and '08 Tech, I have a hard time deciding which was more soul crushing.  We live in the worst reality.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

I don’t love that this could be edited to be a Horns down so easily

Don't you think that currently editing it to "the shocker" is more appropriate in representing the feelings of our Aggie brethren?  Let the good moment flow at least a fucking second before worrying.  

5 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Holy shit. What a tired-ass "debate". He's a five star QB, the number 1 overall recruit, who has more impact on recruiting than any recruit I can remember. Is he a "perfect" recruit or just a regular old "top QB in the class"? Who gives a shit? Only you chucklefucks could spend 100 posts arguing about whether or not something is THE best ever, or maybe the best ever. 

Shut the fuck up, drink a beer and look at some tits

200.gif

You're not the boss of me but I quoting your post anyway.

Cause boobs.

19 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Holy shit. What a tired-ass "debate". He's a five star QB, the number 1 overall recruit, who has more impact on recruiting than any recruit I can remember. Is he a "perfect" recruit or just a regular old "top QB in the class"? Who gives a shit? Only you chucklefucks could spend 100 posts arguing about whether or not something is THE best ever, or maybe the best ever. 

Shut the fuck up, drink a beer and look at some tits

200.gif

Takes me back to high school  and searching lycos for "boobs"

Edited by GTJ1982

43 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

I had a party to go to in another town that night.  I watched the first drive with the deep pass to Sloan Thomas and the subsequent Benson TD.  Knowing we crushed those guys in the regular season, I hopped in the car with glee hoping to catch some of the second half when I got there.  When I blissfully emerged from the vehicle on the other end, first thing I did was commandeer the TV to check the score.  I had to check to make sure that I hadn't already ingested my drugs for the evening.  Between this and '08 Tech, I have a hard time deciding which was more soul crushing.  We live in the worst reality.

I might be considered an olds, but was at both games. Big 12 title game with the first wife and the tech game in the middle of a divorce with her. Soul crushing put its lightly. Both brutal nights. Punt block call late after the Major comeback and Gideon’s INT drop are forever etched in this memory bank. Could have used some of your drugs both those games.

3 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I believe it.  Aggie just said no thanks.  Reminds me of the time I had to say no to that threesome with Christy Brinkley, Paulina Porizkova, and Cindy Crawford.  Tough choices.  

That’s not a threesome if you are involved dude, that’s a foursome. 

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Okcool said:

I might be considered an olds, but was at both games. Big 12 title game with the first wife and the tech game in the middle of a divorce with her. Soul crushing put its lightly. Both brutal nights. Punt block call late after the Major comeback and Gideon’s INT drop are forever etched in this memory bank. Could have used some of your drugs both those games.

Yall are divorced. This should be an easy rule to follow.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Okcool said:

Fucking Philip Geigger with the personal foul on the punter. I didn't drink a drop of anything the night of that Big 12 title game and I was at the game. It is the only time in my life that I have vomited while completely sober and not ill with a stomach virus. Was just walking in the parking lot with my buddies, thinking about how we might never get to see a title or even play for one in my lifetime and lost it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 4

16 minutes ago, Okcool said:

The Tech game the year after was brutal as well. A&M had just shocked blOU and opened the door for us to go to the Big 12 title game. We were up 14-0 after the 1st quarter, everything was going smoothly. Then Kingsbury just started murdering our secondary, and we had no answer. The cherry on the top was Simms throwing a pick over the middle to end our last-chance drive.

• Rage+1 1