Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

Here's a hotter take; Bradford was unbelievably overrated and was not even close to being the best player in CFB in 2008. His entire highlight reel from that year was just him standing in the pocket for ten seconds and playing pitch-and-catch with wide open receivers, or dumping the ball off to Ryan Broyles and Manuel Johnson on tunnel screens. While McCoy led Texas in rushing yards, Bradford had the luxury of chilling behind the best O-line in CFB and handing the ball off to not one, but two 1,000-yard rushers. He was just a system QB with a much, much better supporting cast. His "Heisman moment" from that year was getting cartwheeled by an OSU defender out-of-bounds on the pathetically slowest scramble I've ever seen.

But what other QB could stare down two WRs at the same time on opposite sides of the field?

• Haha 5

Hers something I think is interesting. Texas has the chance to get the #1 player from 7 different states. I believe Clemson did that a few years ago.

Duce Robinson- Arizona (scheduled OV)

Caleb Downs- Georgia (might unofficially visit at the end of July)

Liona Lefau- Hawaii (committed)

Miles MckVay- Illinois (#2 player in the state currently and scheduled to OV last week Of July I believe)

Arch Manning- Louisiana (committed)

David Hicks/Anthony Hill- Texas (Hill is currently #2 in the state)

Tausili Akana- Utah (Oklahoma is the favorite currently)

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Here's the evidence. Everyone can make their own decision on who won the game. 

I stand by my view that Texas won the game.

In truth, the Defense won that game. Roy had a couple of highlight plays and a couple of drops. Simms ended his career with an interception. DJ and Redding controlled the game after some early jitters. All told, a fitting game for the era.

6 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

In truth, the Defense won that game. Roy had a couple of highlight plays and a couple of drops. Simms ended his career with an interception. DJ and Redding controlled the game after some early jitters. All told, a fitting game for the era.

Typical Mack Brown Slow Start™

1 hour ago, RabidM said:

Here's the evidence. Everyone can make their own decision on who won the game. 

I remember watching games of this era in high school on one of the giant box TVs and wondering how TV pictures could ever get clearer

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

A thread on Sark, on the Bama board.  The responses warm the cockles of my cynical, jaded heart.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.1b054f55b901d892a25ab9fd8bcdc850.png

image.thumb.png.7ac5602da6b2ff3eeaab730fae3db814.png

image.thumb.png.8db3429458a2850bf3fb6cace4a1e655.png

image.thumb.png.da838282f512a5560e92a9ee6dff6de8.png

image.thumb.png.ae9652183e11158d1843d6b0ecd2d446.png

image.thumb.png.5fb3d106514d327d4bb24fe0e6e2a75a.png

image.thumb.png.36654fcf3e3bbcd2884a56fca580377e.png

This is a nice example of how gracious and reasonable any fanbase in college football could be after a decade of top 2 recruiting classes and natties every other year (other than the aggies). There's no reason Bama football fans should be this pleasant. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, NevaLost said:

This is a nice example of how gracious and reasonable any fanbase in college football could be after a decade of top 2 recruiting classes and natties every other year (other than the aggies). There's no reason Bama football fans should be this pleasant. 

They’ve had to deal with the dumbass regards from College Station for the past decade.  Real recognize real.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, NevaLost said:

Never use that word anywhere or prepare to be negged to oblivion.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Do you know how the INT came about?

Some walk on TE got in the game. A dude who hadn’t ever caught Jack. Game was over so the pass was going to him come hell or high water. At least that’s my recollection.

So that Tweren’t typical.

Happy Friday!

Friday Huddle: Multiple five and four-star recruiting notes & thoughts from Sark’s presser

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

Friday Huddle: Multiple five and four-star recruiting notes & thoughts from Sark’s presser

Hudson Standish

— Longview 2023 WR Jalen Hale and Texas commit/DeSoto 2023 WR Johntay Cook hung out last night in DFW. Cook has been privately recruiting Hale to Austin for at least the past month and after publicly announcing his commitment to UT has ramped up that pursuit.

I put in a crystal ball for Hale earlier this week and while his birthday (September 7th) has been a rumored commitment date we’ve heard, I had another source tell me that they wouldn’t be surprised if the high four-star from east Texas moved up his timeline. Cook, Manning, and the Texas staff have done an unbelievable job capitalizing on recruiting momentum across the board but especially with Hale.

— I asked a source in DFW about the likely two biggest defensive priorities on the board in Denton Ryan five-star linebacker Anthony Hill and Katy Paetow (formerly Allen) five-star defensive lineman David Hicks.

This was a different source than previous reports about Hill, so it was encouraging when they backed up what we’ve been reporting and echoed similar thoughts about Texas being the team with all the buzz. Texas A&M’s end of July visit weekend looms extremely large, even more so if the Ryan product opts for a preseason commitment date.

So much has been going right for Texas recruiting in the aftermath of Arch Manning’s commitment that I’ve been checking more and more on DJ Hicks’ recruitment. However the sources I talk to still list four schools ahead of the Horns and have remained consistent that it would take a big year on the field in addition to home run visits to sign the state’s No. 1 player. It remains a massive positive for Texas that Hicks has been adamant about sticking to his Under Armour All American game commitment date.

— If you’ve watched or listened to the “Talking Texas” podcast throughout the offseason you know that one of the points I’ve hit on over and over again when praising Steve Sarkisian is how vocal he’s been about moving up the timeline for announcing the starting quarterback. The Texas head coach made sure to bring it up again yesterday at Big 12 media day.

While most of the sources I talk to believe that eventually Quinn Ewers will win the job, Sarkisian did a great job of touting Hudson Card and Maalik Murphy when asked about the quarterback battle or steering a question about Ewers into a team discussion. 

Sarkisian naming a starter earlier in Fall camp should give the eventual QB1 more time to mentally prepare in addition to taking the weight of a position battle off their shoulders. In addition to some of the stress being taken off the quarterback himself, something a friend mentioned to me that I thought was interesting was the hypothesis that naming the starter early would allow the rest of the team to rally around the starter heading into the year. Especially considering last year there did seem to be a bit of a split locker room, especially early in the season.

The next step is one of the quarterbacks decisively winning the job during fall camp. 50 days until kickoff vs. ULM, 57 days until Bama, 85 days until the Red River Shootout.

• Hook 'Em 1