Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Fucking Philip Geigger with the personal foul on the punter. I didn't drink a drop of anything the night of that Big 12 title game and I was at the game. It is the only time in my life that I have vomited while completely sober and not ill with a stomach virus. Was just walking in the parking lot with my buddies, thinking about how we might never get to see a title or even play for one in my lifetime and lost it. 

The worst part of that game (other than the 17-play sequence where Simms had 4 turnovers) was that their only offense was handing off to Chris Brown off tackle and we still couldn’t stop it. They converted two 3rd and 10s in the 2nd half on vanilla running plays. Fucking Brown, Rashaan Salaam, Eric Bienemy…we couldn’t stop Buffs RBs back in the day.

Edited by Ignatius
  • Rage+1 3

7 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I was at some party with my girlfriend that night. Wine and cheese crowd, not a lot of interest in the game (even though I was in Austin). Despite how incredibly frustrating that entire game was, I kept it together pretty well…until that roughing penalty on the punt. Then I completely lost my shit. I erupted, lunging from the couch and screamed some incoherent string of the most offensive words I could come up with. I stopped, looked around and realized everyone in the house was silent and staring at me. I looked at them, yelled “motherfuck!” and left the house and walked the 5 or so miles home. It was not my proudest moment (ok it kinda is). That relationship went south very soon thereafter.

2 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

The worst part of that game (other than the 17-play sequence where Simms had 4 turnovers) was that their only offense was handing off to Chris Brown off tackle and we still couldn’t stop it. They converted two 3rd and 10s in the 2nd half on vanilla running plays….

Why do we do this to ourselves? I bizarrely think back on that game and evening now with some level of ambiguity and it seems like y'all do too. Thank God for Vince Young, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why do we do this to ourselves? I bizarrely think back on that game and evening now with some level of ambiguity and it seems like y'all do too. Thank God for Vince Young, I guess.

Y’all are some lightweight fans.  Throwing up, walking home, etc.  I was hospitalized after Charlie’s trip to South Bend.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Didn’t we lose Ced and Mike early that game?   That was awful.  I remember we jumped out to a quick lead.   I was already a few pitchers deep by then.   Heart break

19 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

This board sounds like the group that told me Peyton Manning was going to be average back in the late '90s.

I don't believe there's more than one or two college (QB) prospects in history that deserve a 1.000. With that said, Arch is one of the best prospects in the country. Arm strength means very little, as long as you can make all the throws. Don't discount the fact that the Manning's make a concerted effort to throw a catchable ball. It can deceive one's evaluation on arm strength. It's why the uninformed thought Peyton would lose out to Brandon Stewart at Tennessee. It's why these idoit journalists can't evaluate worth a damn.

Arch does a lot at an elite level for a high school prospect:

1. He's typically very accurate with the ball while standing in the pocket

2. He progresses through his reads quickly for his age

3. He knows his safety valve and has a timely feel for when to take it

4. He throws receivers open

5. He already has a ton of experience throwing under pressure. It's probably one of the reasons Archie and family let their kids play on that bad team. There's nothing that will get you prepared for the next level like throwing in tight windows under pressure. Most of these highly rated quarterbacks rarely face these conditions. Arch will have four years of repetition at a young age (the younger you learn, the better).

6. His name is Manning and, yes, it matters. A really good high school player with the genes raises the chances of success. Now add to it the importance of knowledge at the QB position. He's had way more schooling than any other player in the country. He's been mentored on things that no coach can give him, especially a high school coach. He already prepares in the film room like a pro quarterback. Some of these kids never even figure out how to study film in college. It's a skill.

7. He scrambles like the Old Man, but his weakness is throwing on the run. He's getting better at it and I expect him to show even more improvement in that category this coming year.

8. The Manning's aren't concerned with championships and gaudy high school numbers. This time in Arch's life is measured by trying to simulate, and gaining experience, under the same duress of a college and pro quarterback. Train the mind to be prepared for all the variables coming his way in the future. It's the only way to strengthen your weaknesses. No better way to do that than play with a bad offensive line.

The gaudy numbers will follow when it matters: college and pro. At least that's the plan. 

Mike Farrell was jizzing in his pants on the thought of Arch Manning reconsidering the Sooners.

But now he's with the Longhorns...

The whole world is turning into a bunch satyanash. There are people out there who just can't handle good news.

PlayStation Store: February's Top Downloads | Funny gif, Giphy, Motion  picture

I don’t know that it even needs to be that complicated. All of the recruiting services say that they rank based on the likelihood of a player making it to the NFL. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/notredame/.amp/recruiting/five-star-recruits-and-the-nfl-draft

Based on several years of classes, the relative hit rate on five stars going in the first round is not that great. If you take that even further to QBs, the hit rate is even lower (low single digit %). I think if you just boil it down to the fact that this is a kid who has amazing genes, Hall of Fame guys who have been developing him since he was a kid, and the Manning family name, I think it’s borderline moronic to ascribe a higher likelihood of draft success to any other prospect (especially a QB).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Didn’t we lose Ced and Mike early that game?   That was awful.  I remember we jumped out to a quick lead.   I was already a few pitchers deep by then.   Heart break

We lost Ced because he ran into Mike as I remember…

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Y’all are some lightweight fans.  Throwing up, walking home, etc.  I was hospitalized after Charlie’s trip to South Bend.

That ND loss was nowhere near the gut punch of CU in 2001 or Crabtree. Not even in the same ballpark…

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

That ND loss was nowhere near the gut punch of CU in 2001 or Crabtree. Not even in the same ballpark…

Agreed.  I was at CU 2001.  I was just pointing out that they are lesser fans for having less dramatic reactions to those games than I had to that ND game.  And I don’t post often on the recruiting board, but it would be safe to assume that I am more sarcastic than the average poster around here.

6 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

And that was nothing compared to the loss to Georgia the same year Nebraska lost to Miami. We would have been ranked #1 but lost the game due to a dropped punt return and a totally unimaginative offense.

• Rage+1 1

Shanahan got laughably overranked by Rivals early

I’ve seen this mentioned by several posters. I decided to venture over to Rivals just to see how bad it is… they have him as the 10th recruit in the nation and number 1 in Texas. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Octavian said:

I don’t know that it even needs to be that complicated. All of the recruiting services say that they rank based on the likelihood of a player making it to the NFL. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/notredame/.amp/recruiting/five-star-recruits-and-the-nfl-draft

Based on several years of classes, the relative hit rate on five stars going in the first round is not that great. If you take that even further to QBs, the hit rate is even lower (low single digit %). I think if you just boil it down to the fact that this is a kid who has amazing genes, Hall of Fame guys who have been developing him since he was a kid, and the Manning family name, I think it’s borderline moronic to ascribe a higher likelihood of draft success to any other prospect (especially a QB).

If we had the Arch Manning profile at every position, I can guarantee you we'd win a national championship. Even if he doesn't meet expectations. And ninety-nine percent of these recruits don't meet the lofty expectations. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, MH BEVO said:

I’ve seen this mentioned by several posters. I decided to venture over to Rivals just to see how bad it is… they have him as the 10th recruit in the nation and number 1 in Texas. 

Once he commits to aggy they will all be saying the rest of the services are behind. Once they catch up to rivals he'll be a consensus top 15 in the country... 

-Guys that I know people can feel good about: MM, Baxter, Hill, MHP, Gullette, Hale.

If these and Hicks all happen, the Aggie melt will be historic. Like, be careful driving through CS historic. 

Also I hope we do take both Hale and MHP. MHP is a centex kid who could fit a bunch of places while Hale has tons of upside. No more numbers baby!

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I was at some party with my girlfriend that night. Wine and cheese crowd, not a lot of interest in the game (even though I was in Austin). Despite how incredibly frustrating that entire game was, I kept it together pretty well…until that roughing penalty on the punt. Then I completely lost my shit. I erupted, lunging from the couch and screamed some incoherent string of the most offensive words I could come up with. I stopped, looked around and realized everyone in the house was silent and staring at me. I looked at them, yelled “motherfuck!” and left the house and walked the 5 or so miles home. It was not my proudest moment (ok it kinda is). That relationship went south very soon thereafter.

If it hadn’t already, that relationship went south the minute she asked you to be somewhere where that game wasn’t a priority….in my experience. My wife often asks me, “Aren’t you glad I like football?” I always respond, “If you love me, not as glad as you are that you like football.”

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Fucking Philip Geigger with the personal foul on the punter. I didn't drink a drop of anything the night of that Big 12 title game and I was at the game. It is the only time in my life that I have vomited while completely sober and not ill with a stomach virus. Was just walking in the parking lot with my buddies, thinking about how we might never get to see a title or even play for one in my lifetime and lost 

Edited by Dondrysdale1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

And that was nothing compared to the loss to Georgia the same year Nebraska lost to Miami. We would have been ranked #1 but lost the game due to a dropped punt return and a totally unimaginative offense.

I don’t know about ‘nothing compared to’; everyone in the stadium assumed that Nebraska was going to roll Miami that night. It was only 8 hours later that we realized what the Curry play really meant, plus honestly Nebraska was a better team than us that year, our badass D notwithstanding. We were the best fucking team in college football in 2008…

• Hook 'Em 2

I believe it.  Aggie just said no thanks.  Reminds me of the time I had to say no to that threesome with Christy Brinkley, Paulina Porizkova, and Cindy Crawford.  Tough choices.  

Wouldn’t that be a foursome? Or were you just gonna watch?

EDIT….curse you @WULAW

I’ve been off line all afternoon and evening
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

We lost Ced because he ran into Mike as I remember…

We lost both of them just before halftime because Ced and Mike collided when trying to tackle a Buff returning an INT for a TD.

Ced concussed after hitting Mike's knee.

10 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

We lost both of them just before halftime because Ced and Mike collided when trying to tackle a Buff returning an INT for a TD.

Ced concussed after hitting Mike's knee.

I threw a glass against the wall at that very moment. It's up there with some of my best rage during the butter era. 

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Smuggled a bottle of Jack Daniels into Cowboys stadium so that I could fucking celebrate appropriately when we punched our ticket to the NCG.

Also ended up vomiting in the parking lot.

My cell phone died, my ride left me, only finding out AFTER walking to the farthest lot at that dump of a stadium. I was too drunk to call a cab, but I also had lost my wallet so it didn’t matter. 
I got mugged (well, got 1 shoe stolen from what I think was a pimp).  I drunkenly ran nowhere, and finally a squad car picked me up and dumped me back home, approximately 7 hours later. 
All that to say, FUCK those CU cunts, and fuck GDGD….

• Haha 7

34 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Arch has had one of the most publicized high school careers in history. Reporters have attended every game, every campus visit has been documented on Twitter, his film has been readily available for anyone to watch. Yet, there was absolutely ZERO mention (at least mainstream) of him being overrated until after he commits here.

There still isn't.