Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

Arkansas and Pittman wanted Stroh.  He may not be ready right away, but he's already shown a willingness to work hard.  Could become an absolute monster guard who just beats the shit out of the opposition.  I want to see he and Cam Williams on one side just being mean ass motherfuckers.

I thought one of the 9.9ers said that Stroh was almost 400 pounds last season and has done a great job cutting weight. IF my memory is correct, than this is more Cam Williams part 2. 

I have no issues taking lower ranked OL who are huge.  As long as overall the number of linemen on the roster is sufficient to let them develop and mitigate the bust risk.  And as long as enough higher rated linemen are mixed in.  I also don’t mind a similar approach to TE.  In the current landscape, I’d probably lean toward being a ruthless mf who takes 6 OL every year minimum and let them get sorted on campus, having no qualms about tossing the guys who fail to develop into the portal.

It’s the reaches at other positions (especially LB) that are bothersome because those have seemed to be the result of simply missing in higher rated guys, not necessarily having depth to take risk.  

At Texas, especially now, QB, RB, WR, DL, LB, and DB should be pretty much nothing but 4-5* BAMF.

Edited by Snake Diggity

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think their point is that as of today there isn't really anyone else.  They're still after McVay but that seems like a long shot even in a 'best-case' class at this point.

Those two don't play the same position.

one is in line (Shannon) and one is flex (Robinson) - right?

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I thought one of the 9.9ers said that Stroh was almost 400 pounds last season and has done a great job cutting weight. IF my memory is correct, than this is more Cam Williams part 2. 

Williams is/was significantly more athletic than Stroh though, right? Stroh can't dunk I am pretty sure

Worst case scenario we can find a late riser on the OL. There's always some kids that pop up their senior year eg Christian Jones. Before people come at me, Jones was the 5th OL take in '18 and he's a solid backup, the issue is not recruiting/developing a better tackle in the four cycles since. Recruiting a Christian Jones every year as your last take would be great. It doesn't seem like Flood's approach, but I still think the approach of growing an athletic OT is fine.

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

Williams is/was significantly more athletic than Stroh though, right? Stroh can't dunk I am pretty sure

that is because his shoulders arent wide enough..

I believe Cam is more athletic. Point was that if Stroh was really that fat of a  fuck in the fall and has cut serious weight, than his athleticism and ability are probably being under-valued. His film is essentially outdated. I dont think he will ever be a dancing bear, but he could be fine as a OG

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I’m referring to the fans. Not sure I have ever heard as much shit talked from angry fans as I did in Lincoln before that game. They were certain they were going to kick our asses and they were pissed off. 

They were dismissive and obnoxious before the game. They were pissed off ass holes  afterwards. Like watered-down Ohio State fans. We were invited to fight by a few of them, as I recall. So funny. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

He's an in-line TE that blocks like a MF and can catch. In 7v7 those guys don't stand-out. In 2 TE offenses, they are essential.

I dont think people understand that in recruiting. Geoff Swaim is in his 7th season in the NFL. There is no world where he would ever be a 4 star, despite those 7 years. A tight end that can block is essential to the majority of offenses, but you will never find those guys highly rated. They will always overrate the big, athletic kid that has never put his hand in the dirt. You know the type of 4 star that Texas has come accustomed to taking with minimal success. 

• Hook 'Em 5

The 2023 OL class is exactly what Flood needed to get. All these guys are young or new to the position, and will need at a minimum 2 years before they are depth chart ready. When you take 7 OL the previous year and you are getting 5 2-3 year starters out of that group, you need guys that understand their development timeline and are willing to work. Flood has identified certain traits he likes and all 4 of these kids have many of those traits. Like previously said, Flood can teach technique but he can't teach work ethic, size, and athleticism. Texas took 4 lottery tickets. If they don't work out, they will get recruited over by the successful recruiting classes. We are going to need immediate PT from the 2022 class, hopefully, the 2023 class is allowed to RS and develop instead of repeating past mistakes on the OL. At least the 2022 class was full of the blue-chip talent needed to start in year 1.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Arch is every bit of 6’3, possibly 6’4.

Arch Manning is seven feet tall! Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume the aggys with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

Arch Manning is seven feet tall! Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume the aggys with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse

I believe there are already aggies dying just from the thought of him in Austin.

35 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

These are the same fans that gave Ricky a standing ovation.  That's what happens to the "classiest" fans in college football when you knock their dicks in the dirt 9 out of 10 times.

By 2010 we'd burst their bubble so many times they realized we were on our way to destroying the B12. 

• Haha 2

(Hoo boy ... interesting note on the lineman.  If it works out ... it'll be the kick of all kicks, to aggy nuts.  Lulz.)

Mike at Night: Texas working on uncommitted in-state offensive lineman

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Texas working on uncommitted in-state offensive lineman

Mike Roach

— The Longhorns have four commits along the offensive line, and it sounds like they are pushing for a fifth with a local prospect who is currently uncommitted. There hasn't been much between Texas and TJ Shanahan for most of his recruitment, but a source close to the Austin Westlake offensive lineman told us that the staff has been making a little bit of progress there as of late. Shanahan has been on official visits to Texas A&M, Georgia and LSU, and he will have two visits left to use. Can Texas get a foot in the door? It sounds like they are working to get the interior mauler to campus in July for their big barbecue weekend. Shanahan is currently trending to the Aggies, according to the 247Sports Crystal Ball. Can the addition of Arch Manning and the momentum Texas has built overcome that? We will have to see if he makes the visit first. One thing is for sure, there are some small signs of life for Texas in this recruitment.

— Texas is also working to get Arlington Martin cornerback Javien Toviano back on campus as well as they work to add some elite pieces on the defensive side of the ball. While we feel Texas has been getting some strong pub as of late with him, a source I spoke with said that Michigan made a big impression on him during his visit to Ann Arbor. That's not totally unexpected as Toviano usually has strong feedback on most schools he visits. Still, most people expect Toviano to stay in Texas and attend either UT or A&M. We'll wait to see if this was just a post-visit high wearing off or if the Wolverines have some staying power.

— I'm going to talk about this more in-depth next week in a piece I'm working on, but I'm fascinated to see how Steve Sarkisian approaches the quarterback position moving forward. With the presence of Quinn Ewers and an incoming Arch Manning, it will be tricky to navigate future classes. The Longhorns would probably be the favorite for Julian Sayin had they not landed Manning, but most expect him to end up at Georgia now. Do the Longhorns look for an in-state quarterback who needs more development to bridge the gap to 2025, or do they still swing for the fences?

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If Shanahan shows up at the end of the month, texags and the gig'em board will be more worried about that than who's at the pool party.

I don't think it'll happen, but at this point it seems Sark is just doing whatever he can to fuck with Jimbo.

200.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2