Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

14 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Tommy Brockermeyer, the guy we fired Herman for missing on, gave up 4 sacks in 5 plays to Dallas Turner in their spring game. And Will Anderson is considered the better of the two. Does that mean we are going to give up 20 sacks? No. But it means we are going to have to scheme the shit out of them to move the ball, and at some point Banks and Jones/Williams/Campbell will need to be able to win in a 1 on 1 situation. 

1) Fuck the Brocks

2) Tommy Brockermeyer is running third string at Bama. He has not exactly had an upward trajectory on his development

3) Dallas Turner is still plenty good

• Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hahahaha. We used to go to Europe in the summer for a big trip. Couldn’t in 2020 and did a great tour of the American southwest instead, in our suv. We didn’t even shave the roof off going under a low bridge or anything. It was awesome. So now we do this every summer across America somewhere and Europe after Christmas. The kids have ipads and phones and movies to deal with and hardly ever whine except when hungry or needing to pee. 

Next year we’re flying in to Portland, ME and doing 3 weeks around New England and Montreal. You guys don’t know what you’re missing. 

Given the turbulence of the industry of my day job this year, I fucking wish I was in hydraulics. 

Portland, ME and Europe are on my bucket list. Unfortunately I cannot stand flying, so Portland, ME will have to wait a while. 

Edited by UncleBuck

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

2) Tommy Brockermeyer is running third string at Bama. He has not exactly had an upward trajectory on his development

I don't know,  3rd string should get him on the traveling squad.  Isn't that upward trajectory?

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hahahaha. We used to go to Europe in the summer for a big trip. Couldn’t in 2020 and did a great tour of the American southwest instead, in our suv. We didn’t even shave the roof off going under a low bridge or anything. It was awesome. So now we do this every summer across America somewhere and Europe after Christmas. The kids have ipads and phones and movies to deal with and hardly ever whine except when hungry or needing to pee. 

Next year we’re flying in to Portland, ME and doing 3 weeks around New England and Montreal. You guys don’t know what you’re missing. 

Just returned from about 4 weeks in Europe and trust me, given the shitastic way airlines are running right now you're better off road tripping right now. The time in Europe was amazing, but the travel back and forth was the worst I've ever experienced, by far. 

• Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Excellent strip clubs, it is a bachelor party destination. His kids should love it. 

Definitely a city where you can have an amazing perfectly wholesome week, or crank the debauchery up to 11. Cold (and less crime-y) New Orleans in that way - the ex-French cities don't give a shit.

Edited by texifornia
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Just returned from about 4 weeks in Europe and trust me, given the shitastic way airlines are running right now you're better off road tripping right now. The time in Europe was amazing, but the travel back and forth was the worst I've ever experienced, by far. 

Flew NYC ---> Azores no problem

Azores ----> Portugal leave in about an hour and no problems yet

Clearing European customs/imm in the Azores is the move.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Next year we’re flying in to Portland, ME

47 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Portland, ME and Europe are on my bucket list. Unfortunately I cannot stand flying, so Portland, ME will have to wait a while. 

Leaving for a week of Boston/Portland/Acadia on Saturday. 3 weeks sounds incredible. Portland food and deep sea fishing are certain to be highlights. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Gotta wonder

12 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Leaving for a week of Boston/Portland/Acadia on Saturday. 3 weeks sounds incredible. Portland food and deep sea fishing are certain to be highlights. 

Get back on where to find the best Chicken Fried Steak up there thx

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Not bad.  

Probably never happen,  but as shitty as air travel is,  seems like a good time for trains to make a comeback.  

Edited by Laga4

2 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Not bad.  

Probably never happen,  but as shitty as air travel is,  seems like a good time for trains to make a comeback.  

Have considered taking the kids on a small train trip. My mom took me on one out to Tuscon to visit my cousins/aunt and uncle when I was 6, it was pretty badass. 

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Have considered taking the kids on a small train trip. My mom took me on one out to Tuscon to visit my cousins/aunt and uncle when I was 6, it was pretty badass. 

When I was a kid we took the train from Toledo to San Francisco. Stopped off to drive up to Dinosaur National Monument in Utah. Really wonderful, memorable trip - the Rockies segment is amazing.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Montreal kicks so much ass. Top 3 North American city.

If we are talking big cities, Vancouver should have 1 spot locked up. I'm afraid, naming others is going to lead to a pretty big tangent, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

This Sucks Season 3 GIF by The Office

Yes.

But now that we’re here…

I always thought Vancouver was the Canadian strip capital. Perhaps it’s more Vegas-y, with (as mentioned) Montreal having the historic French influence a la New Orleans. 

Uncle Buck, get your ass to Europe. It’s not an unobtainable thing. The history is incredible, pretty much no matter where you go. And you don’t have to break the bank. Let this travel shitshow subside, then make a plan. It will be worth it. 

Texas Longhorns recruiting: The Big Board is here

Gerry Hamilton•13 minutes

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

The Texas Longhorns sit inside the top five classes of the On3 Consensus team rankings with a number of prospects expected to decide in July or early August.

With more than a dozen top targets remaining on the board, Steve Sarkisian and staff have the opportunity to make a run at the top class in the 2023 cycle.

Inside Texas takes a look at where the Longhorns stand with the known targets, with the understanding that new targets may emerge this season. The status of several prospects below could still change multiple times. Such is the nature of recruiting.

A lot of where we put a recruit is based on intel, but it can also come down to feel.

NOTE: Where there is new information on a target, we will denote that with words “NEW INTEL” by that recruits name.

***Trending Up***

LB Anthony Hill, Denton (Texas) Ryan
The Longhorns have continued to make headway with the On3 Consensus five-star linebacker following his June 24 official visit. A very key visit to Texas A&M on the last weekend in July looms large with a decision possible prior to the start of Hill’s senior season.

CB Malik Muhammad, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff
The On3 Consensus four-star is in the same boat as Hill. Texas continues to be in a positive position post-official visit, and has created momentum since June 23. There is work to be done, plus competition from Texas A&M and possibly Alabama. The smooth cover corner is scheduled to be at Texas A&M to end July.

EDGE/LB Derion Gullette, Teague (Texas)
The Longhorns have continued to trend positively for the On3 Consensus four-star since the June official visit. Texas A&M and Oklahoma remain in the fight with Ohio State on the peripheral.

RB Cedric Baxter Jr., Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater
Nothing has changed with On3’s No. 1 running back in the 2023 cycle. Texas remains the heavy favorite in the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine ahead of an August 10 announcement.

CB Jordan Matthews, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn
Texas and Alabama remain expected to receive fall official visits. The fast-rising corner is scheduled to be in Austin the last weekend of July.

***Worth watching***

CB Javien Toviano, Arlington (Texas) Martin
Toviano is entertaining some blue bloods nationally, but is expected to ultimately come down to Texas and Texas A&M. Texas has made headway since the Arch Manning commitment for sure, but there is plenty of work to be done.

WR Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Temple (Texas)
This one could be in the “trending up” category as well. The Longhorns have continued to be strong in the mind of the On3 Consensus four-star. The timeline is something to follow in this recruitment.

EDGE Braylan Shelby, Friendswood (Texas)
Shelby continues to think about a July decision between Texas and USC. A late July unofficial visit to Texas A&M remains possible if there isn’t a decision in the next couple of weeks.

EDGE Colton Vasek, Austin (Texas) Westlake
This one is pretty simple. Does the 6-foot-5, 235-pound technically-ound prospect want to get away from Austin for college and play for Oregon? That’s the question to be answered in the next couple of weeks.

TE Duce Robinson, Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle
Robinson will make an official visit September 10. Texas, Alabama and Georgia are trying to upset favorite USC.

DL David Hicks, Katy (Texas) Paetow
The On3-Consensus five-star continues to have increased communication with the Texas staff since June 23 at 11:16 a.m. Hicks is scheduled to be at Oklahoma the last weekend in July. There is a top seven, but IT is paying attention to Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Texas. The timeline continues to be first week in January of 2023.

DL Markis Deal, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest
Deal will be in Austin the last weekend of July. TCU, Arkansas, and USC received summer official visits. Georgia and Auburn received June unofficial visits. Should Deal stick to his fall timeline, official visits to Texas and Georgia are expected.

WR Jalen Hale, Longview (Texas)
With Jaquiaze Pettaway committed to Oklahoma and Jaden Greathouse looking more at Notre Dame, the Longhorn staff may make a strong push with the On3 Consensus four-star out of East Texas.

DL Jamarious Brown, Moss Point (Miss.)
Texas covets the On300 No. 145-ranked defensive lineman. The 6-foot-3, 270-pounder is scheduled to be in Austin the last weekend of July. Alabama and Ole Miss are considered the main competition.

EDGE Tausili Akana, Lehi (Utah) Skyridge
Texas and Akana continue to be a possibility. Oklahoma is scheduled to have the On3 Consensus four-star on campus to end July. LSU is also very much in the mix.

***Trending down***

WR Jaden Greathouse, Austin (Texas) Westlake
The physical playmaker will announce his decision on July 15 with Notre Dame considered the favorite over Texas. He’s been on Texas’ campus plenty, and the Texas staff is giving it the best run possible.

DL Terrance Green, Cypress (Texas) Cy Woods – NEW INTEL
The phone is ringing off the hook for the Texas staff, and that means the Longhorns need to know which way a prospect is leaning. Sometimes that doesn’t fit. Oregon, and possibly Michigan State should begin trending soon barring a change.

DL Hunter Osborne, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville – NEW INTEL
The On3 Consensus four-star has a desire to be in the Alabama class should On3 Consensus five-star Peter Woods pick Clemson on Friday. Woods was a near-lock to pick Alabama a month ago, but this is far from a done deal now. The question that will have to be answered if Woods goes to Clemson, does Alabama push for Osborne? We are comfortable reporting that Alabama knows Osborne wants in the class. If not, a Tennessee versus Texas decision is likely, but this one is trending away from Texas, as the Longhorns will move on to other targets with further indecision.

S Caleb Downs, Hoschton (Ga.) Mill Creek
Downs is still considering making an unofficial visit to Texas to end July, but nothing is set up at this time. As of Wednesday morning, it was 40-60 a visit happens, subject to change of course. There have been multiple conversations and Zoom calls with the Texas staff.

WR Jalen Brown, Miami (Fla.) Gulliver Prep
The On3 Consensus five-star wide receiver is scheduled to make his decision Friday with LSU trending. Crazy as this sounds, Miami has not been prioritizing Brown the way LSU and Michigan have. That could always be a smoke screen, or could change too. Texas would accept a commitment from the speedster.

***To be determined***

OT Miles McVay, East St. Louis (Ill.)
The On3 Consensus four-star is scheduled to be in Austin during the last weekend of July. With an August 11 commitment date set, Texas has to make a huge impression to knock off Alabama and others.

IOL Vysen Lang, Pike Road (Ala.)
Lang quietly had a tremendous three-day unofficial visit in June. The Longhorns are in position to compete with Arkansas for the upside lineman. A fall timeline is something to follow. An official visit during the season is not out of the question.

DL TaDerius Collins, Shreveport (La.) Woodlawn
Texas has real interest in the Pelican State upside prospect. Baylor and TCU would welcome him in their classes. Collins will be in Austin the last weekend in July.

• Hook 'Em 9

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So no Osborne or Green now?  I think Brown may be the best of three IMO.

Brown > Osborne > Green.

That Osborne report reminds me of the Finkley talk at this time last year, There was talk about if Bama pushes, than he was going to Bama. This might not be the same situation.  9.95ers are saying this is an "if" Bama pushes again,  but perhaps it is a  "when" someone pushes like Finkley.