Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Portland, ME and Europe are on my bucket list. Unfortunately I cannot stand flying, so Portland, ME will have to wait a while. 

The Missus and I are doing a 2 week version of this at the end of the month.  A loop from Boston, Maine, Burlington VT back down to CT and then a few days on the Cape

• Hook 'Em 2

Spiegleman intel on upcoming commitments:

Colton Vasek (Austin, Texas)

Vasek has been dead-set on shutting down his recruitment for much of the summer, and after a busy June jammed with official visits around the country, Texas and Oregon emerged at the forefront for the On300 EDGE defender. Vasek, a Longhorns legacy, is cognizant of the hometown team’s fireworks on the recruiting trail of late. However, my intel suggests that the Ducks are very much in this and perhaps hold a slight edge. Texas still holds an edge on the RPM.

Zalance Heard (Monroe, La.)

On3’s No. 3-rated offensive tackle took an official visit up to Nebraska to open June. He had eyed visits out to Florida State and USC, and had scheduled his second official visit — to Texas — but elected not to show up. Heard camped at LSU and stayed for a weekend-long unofficial visit and there is a growing sense that the elite offensive tackle is moving closer and closer toward a decision. The Tigers are favored on the RPM.

Malik Muhammad (Dallas, Texas)

Muhammad officially narrowed his finalists down to Texas and Texas A&M, along with Alabama, but the On3 Consensus top-50 cornerback from the Dallas Metroplex is all-but-certain to wind up playing his college football on Saturdays in-state. After leaning toward Texas A&M for a good bit of the spring, the Longhorns have gained momentum with Muhammad, who is certainly on the clock as South Oak Cliff’s Week 1 date with Duncanville rapidly approaches. The biggest catalyst here is time and if a decision lingers, whether it re-opens the door for Texas A&M to close the gap. Texas leads on the RPM.

Jaden Greathouse (Austin, Texas)

Greathouse will reveal his decision on July 15 and announce from Notre Dame, Texas, South Carolina and Oklahoma. Ultimately, sources have pointed to this being a two-horse race between the Irish and the Longhorns, and after a brief pause in recent weeks, there is a growing sense that Notre Dame is in the strongest position to close with the talented three-time state champion pass-catcher, who was the offensive MVP for Austin (Texas) Westlake last year. The Irish are in control on the RPM.

Anthony Hill Jr. (Denton, Texas)

The nation’s top-ranked linebacker eliminated all of the out-of-state options from the picture recently and narrowed his focus down to the Longhorns and Aggies. Hill will have a decision made before Denton (Texas) Ryan opens the season, and after an impressionable official visit to Texas a significant return to College Station awaits the Dallas-area superstar. The Aggies are trending on the RPM, but sources close to Hill indicate this is a much more even race between the two teams than outsiders realize. Texas A&M will get Hill on campus last at the end of the month, which ultimately will be the biggest indicator of what’s next.

Jordan Matthews (Baton Rouge, La.)

Matthews has kept busy during June getting his first tastes of Tennessee, Michigan and Stanford. The On300 cornerback from The Boot also added an offer from Alabama and is expected back in Tuscaloosa for the season opener. Next up for Matthews is an unofficial visit back to Texas for the BBQ. He has frequented the Forty Acres for much of the offseason, which is why the Horns are trending on the RPM. Matthews will know a lot more about his future after returning home from this visit.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Spiegleman intel on upcoming commitments:

Colton Vasek (Austin, Texas)

Vasek has been dead-set on shutting down his recruitment for much of the summer, and after a busy June jammed with official visits around the country, Texas and Oregon emerged at the forefront for the On300 EDGE defender. Vasek, a Longhorns legacy, is cognizant of the hometown team’s fireworks on the recruiting trail of late. However, my intel suggests that the Ducks are very much in this and perhaps hold a slight edge. Texas still holds an edge on the RPM.

Zalance Heard (Monroe, La.)

On3’s No. 3-rated offensive tackle took an official visit up to Nebraska to open June. He had eyed visits out to Florida State and USC, and had scheduled his second official visit — to Texas — but elected not to show up. Heard camped at LSU and stayed for a weekend-long unofficial visit and there is a growing sense that the elite offensive tackle is moving closer and closer toward a decision. The Tigers are favored on the RPM.

Malik Muhammad (Dallas, Texas)

Muhammad officially narrowed his finalists down to Texas and Texas A&M, along with Alabama, but the On3 Consensus top-50 cornerback from the Dallas Metroplex is all-but-certain to wind up playing his college football on Saturdays in-state. After leaning toward Texas A&M for a good bit of the spring, the Longhorns have gained momentum with Muhammad, who is certainly on the clock as South Oak Cliff’s Week 1 date with Duncanville rapidly approaches. The biggest catalyst here is time and if a decision lingers, whether it re-opens the door for Texas A&M to close the gap. Texas leads on the RPM.

Jaden Greathouse (Austin, Texas)

Greathouse will reveal his decision on July 15 and announce from Notre Dame, Texas, South Carolina and Oklahoma. Ultimately, sources have pointed to this being a two-horse race between the Irish and the Longhorns, and after a brief pause in recent weeks, there is a growing sense that Notre Dame is in the strongest position to close with the talented three-time state champion pass-catcher, who was the offensive MVP for Austin (Texas) Westlake last year. The Irish are in control on the RPM.

Anthony Hill Jr. (Denton, Texas)

The nation’s top-ranked linebacker eliminated all of the out-of-state options from the picture recently and narrowed his focus down to the Longhorns and Aggies. Hill will have a decision made before Denton (Texas) Ryan opens the season, and after an impressionable official visit to Texas a significant return to College Station awaits the Dallas-area superstar. The Aggies are trending on the RPM, but sources close to Hill indicate this is a much more even race between the two teams than outsiders realize. Texas A&M will get Hill on campus last at the end of the month, which ultimately will be the biggest indicator of what’s next.

Jordan Matthews (Baton Rouge, La.)

Matthews has kept busy during June getting his first tastes of Tennessee, Michigan and Stanford. The On300 cornerback from The Boot also added an offer from Alabama and is expected back in Tuscaloosa for the season opener. Next up for Matthews is an unofficial visit back to Texas for the BBQ. He has frequented the Forty Acres for much of the offseason, which is why the Horns are trending on the RPM. Matthews will know a lot more about his future after returning home from this visit.

Need to get Muhammad on board and have him start peer recruiting Hill. Those two should beget some DL/Edge commitments. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

We are Thanos, baby! We are Doctor fucking Evil! We have the power to destroy entire civilizations! A2007F36-08DA-4FA6-A2C3-5AF8ED42DDCB.thumb.jpeg.97131ce99cefda1ccf73c3d8fd4a81ab.jpeg

I love how every media outlet in this state constantly trashes us including our hometown paper, yet have a BOMC and an unprecedented hype machine according to aggy. It gives me the feels. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I love how every media outlet in this state constantly trashes us including our hometown paper, yet have a BOMC and an unprecedented hype machine according to aggy. It gives me the feels. 

I work with an okie lite fan and he tells me at least once a week that Texas ruins every conference we have ever been in and he can't wait till we ruin the SEC. I don't even respond anymore lol. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

They, like this thread, have great potential to go off the rails. 

200.gif

Movies always get this kind of thing wrong. That is not what the exhaust out of the stack would look like if the engine did a nose dive like that. And the cylinder cocks appear to be closed in this gif. That’s totally wrong.

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Couple scratches for the late July weekend per Suchomel: Hicks is going to OU instead and Hill will not stop by before going on his A&M OV

I don't think it was ever said that either was coming so I don't know if I would consider either scratches. For Hicks especially. The talk for him has always been a fall official visit.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

@Getafix did Chatman just get a big rankings bump on 247?  Seen something posted by Gabe Brooks.

Skimmed through it - it’s not very clearly written - here it is.

JAYDON CHATMAN, IOL (No. 234)

At 6-foot-4, 300 pounds with good length, Killeen (Texas) Harker Heights' Jaydon Chatman could play offensive tackle or move inside in college and should provide roster value thanks to that versatility. Chatman, a recent Texas pledge, combines that frame and personnel flexibility with strong testing data, particularly in the shuttle and broad jump categories, as well as promising multi-sport context in the form of shot put participation.

A 48-foot, 6 1/2-inch shot put throw is one of at least five of greater than 47 feet this spring for Chatman, who transfers that power and strength to the gridiron. Chatman's encouraging on-field context as a physical run-game presence accompanies strong multi-sport data and ample upside in pass protection given his length and movement ability. Chatman checks a number of boxes and that's why we like him as a riser.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Getafix said:

At 6-foot-4, 300 pounds with good length, Killeen (Texas) Harker Heights' Jaydon Chatman could play offensive tackle or move inside in college and should provide roster value thanks to that versatility. Chatman, a recent Texas pledge, combines that frame and personnel flexibility with strong testing data, particularly in the shuttle and broad jump categories, as well as promising multi-sport context in the form of shot put participation.

A 48-foot, 6 1/2-inch shot put throw is one of at least five of greater than 47 feet this spring for Chatman, who transfers that power and strength to the gridiron. Chatman's encouraging on-field context as a physical run-game presence accompanies strong multi-sport data and ample upside in pass protection given his length and movement ability. Chatman checks a number of boxes and that's why we like him as a riser.

- modest improvement in ranking, although rating has gone down (I understand how that can happen, but it’s not typical)

- they refer to “riser” in the context of the next, bigger update … are they implying a bigger bump in that?

- in any event, it’s a positive assessment … and look at the bump right before he committed to us (the 24th?). Sure to make the collective aggy cranium implode 🙂

image.thumb.png.d7e2da994baa5c98699a299247065fd6.png

Edited by Getafix

His composite score changed from 191 to 186. 247 moved him from 260th to the 230th ranked prospect on their rankings. 14a01434d60e815c1458563356187007.jpg