Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Texas Longhorns best class scenario

Gerry Hamilton•5 minutes

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Gerry Hamilton/On3

The Texas Longhorns enter the weekend with the No. 3 ranked class in the On3 Consensus team rankings with 18 commitments in the fold.

Steve Sarkisian and staff have added 11 commitments since June 23, including On3 Consensus No. 1 Arch Manning and six more On3 Consensus 4-stars.

The most updated best class scenario is made up of 31 players, including 23 members of the On3 Consensus top 300. The group of 31 includes 26 On3 Consensus 4-star prospects as well. All 31 will not be in the class, but a combination of the numbers likely gets Texas to a top 3 class. 

QB Arch Manning, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman
On3 Consensus: No. 1 (Consensus 5-star)
#AllGasNoBrakes

RB Cedric Baxter Jr., Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater
On3 Consensus: No. 43
The decision: The No. 1 running back in the On300 announces August 10 with Texas considered the favorite over Texas A&M, Miami, Florida and Alabama.

RB Tre Wisner, DeSoto (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 306
#AllGasNoBrakes

WR Johntay Cook II, DeSoto (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 32 
#AllGasNoBrakes

WR Jalen Hale, Longview (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 76
The competition: Georgia and Alabama with a decisions set fore September 7.

WR Ryan Niblett, Houston (Texas) Eisenhower
On3 Consensus: No. 70
#AllGasNoBrakes

WR Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Temple (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 151
The competition: California, Oklahoma, Houston

WR Jonah Wilson, Houston (Texas) Dekaney
On3 Consensus: No. 260
#AllGasNoBrakes

TE Duce Robinson, Phoenix (Az.) Pinnacle
On3 Consensus: No. 17 (Consensus 5-star) 
The competition: USC leads Texas, Georgia and Alabama. Robinson makes official visit to Texas September 10.

TE Will Randle, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman
On3 Consensus: No. 512 
#AllGasNoBrakes

TE Spencer Shannon, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
On3 Consensus: No. 654
#AllGasNoBrakes

OT Jaydon Chatman, Killeen (Texas) Harker Heights
On3 Consensus: No. 186
#AllGasNoBrakes

OT Trevor Goosby, Melissa (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 469
#AllGasNoBrakes 

IOL Connor Stroh, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland
On3 Consensus: No. 492
#AllGasNoBrakes

IOL Andre Cojoe, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview
On3 Consensus: No. 742
#AllGasNoBrakes

DL David Hicks, Katy (Texas) Paetow
On3 Consensus: No. 7 (Consensus 5-star)
The competition: Texas A&M, Oklahoma and others.

DL Jamarious Brown, Moss Point (Miss.) High
On300: No. 145 
The competition: Alabama, Ole Miss and others. Brown will make visit to Texas the last weekend in July.

DL Dylan Spencer, Houston (Texas) C.E. King
On3 Consensus: No. 253
#AllGasNoBrakes

DL Sydir Mitchell, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic
On3 Consensus: No. 321
#AllGasNoBrakes

EDGE Colton Vasek, Austin (Texas) Westlake
On3 Consensus: No. 184
The competition: Oregon, and maybe Oklahoma

EDGE Braylan Shelby, Friendswood (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 187
The competition: USC, and maybe Texas A&M

EDGE Billy Walton, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff
On3 Consensus: No. 716
#AllGasNoBrakes

LB/EDGE Derion Gullette, Marlin (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 123
The competition: Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Alabama and Ohio State

LB Anthony Hill, Denton (Texas) Ryan
On3 Consensus: No. 14 (Consensus 5-star)
The competition: Texas A&M. Hill is scheduled to visit Texas A&M the last weekend in July.

LB S’Maje Burrell, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley
On3 Consensus: No. 232
#AllGasNoBrakes

LB Liona Lefau, Kahuku (Hawaii) High
On3 Consensus: No. 354 
#AllGasNoBrakes

S Derek Williams, New Iberia (La.) Westgate
On3 Consensus: No. 30
#AllGasNoBrakes

S Jamel Johnson, Arlington (Texas) Seguin
On3 Consensus: No. 193
#AllGasNoBrakes

N/CB/S Javien Toviano, Arlington (Texas) Martin
On3 Consensus: No. 28
The competition: Texas A&M, and maybe Georgia, Alabama, LSU and Michigan

CB/N Jordan Matthews, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn
On3 Consensus: No. 133
The competition: Alabama 

CB Malik Muhammad, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff
On3 Consensus: No. 50 
The competition: Texas A&M, and maybe Alabama 

• Hook 'Em 5

There's being grumpy your dad's school has been a bit hot and cold on you, and then there's seriously considering going to OU. That's some self harm shit.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry Hamilton•5 minutes

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Gerry Hamilton/On3

The Texas Longhorns enter the weekend with the No. 3 ranked class in the On3 Consensus team rankings with 18 commitments in the fold.

Steve Sarkisian and staff have added 11 commitments since June 23, including On3 Consensus No. 1 Arch Manning and six more On3 Consensus 4-stars.

The most updated best class scenario is made up of 31 players, including 23 members of the On3 Consensus top 300. The group of 31 includes 26 On3 Consensus 4-star prospects as well. All 31 will not be in the class, but a combination of the numbers likely gets Texas to a top 3 class. 

QB Arch Manning, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman
On3 Consensus: No. 1 (Consensus 5-star)
#AllGasNoBrakes

RB Cedric Baxter Jr., Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater
On3 Consensus: No. 43
The decision: The No. 1 running back in the On300 announces August 10 with Texas considered the favorite over Texas A&M, Miami, Florida and Alabama.

RB Tre Wisner, DeSoto (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 306
#AllGasNoBrakes

WR Johntay Cook II, DeSoto (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 32 
#AllGasNoBrakes

WR Jalen Hale, Longview (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 76
The competition: Georgia and Alabama with a decisions set fore September 7.

WR Ryan Niblett, Houston (Texas) Eisenhower
On3 Consensus: No. 70
#AllGasNoBrakes

WR Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Temple (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 151
The competition: California, Oklahoma, Houston

WR Jonah Wilson, Houston (Texas) Dekaney
On3 Consensus: No. 260
#AllGasNoBrakes

TE Duce Robinson, Phoenix (Az.) Pinnacle
On3 Consensus: No. 17 (Consensus 5-star) 
The competition: USC leads Texas, Georgia and Alabama. Robinson makes official visit to Texas September 10.

TE Will Randle, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman
On3 Consensus: No. 512 
#AllGasNoBrakes

TE Spencer Shannon, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
On3 Consensus: No. 654
#AllGasNoBrakes

OT Jaydon Chatman, Killeen (Texas) Harker Heights
On3 Consensus: No. 186
#AllGasNoBrakes

OT Trevor Goosby, Melissa (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 469
#AllGasNoBrakes 

IOL Connor Stroh, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland
On3 Consensus: No. 492
#AllGasNoBrakes

IOL Andre Cojoe, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview
On3 Consensus: No. 742
#AllGasNoBrakes

DL David Hicks, Katy (Texas) Paetow
On3 Consensus: No. 7 (Consensus 5-star)
The competition: Texas A&M, Oklahoma and others.

DL Jamarious Brown, Moss Point (Miss.) High
On300: No. 145 
The competition: Alabama, Ole Miss and others. Brown will make visit to Texas the last weekend in July.

DL Dylan Spencer, Houston (Texas) C.E. King
On3 Consensus: No. 253
#AllGasNoBrakes

DL Sydir Mitchell, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic
On3 Consensus: No. 321
#AllGasNoBrakes

EDGE Braylan Shelby, Friendswood (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 187
The competition: USC, and maybe Texas A&M

EDGE Billy Walton, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff
On3 Consensus: No. 716
#AllGasNoBrakes

LB/EDGE Derion Gullette, Marlin (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 123
The competition: Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Alabama and Ohio State

LB Anthony Hill, Denton (Texas) Ryan
On3 Consensus: No. 14 (Consensus 5-star)
The competition: Texas A&M. Hill is scheduled to visit Texas A&M the last weekend in July.

LB S’Maje Burrell, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley
On3 Consensus: No. 232
#AllGasNoBrakes

LB Liona Lefau, Kahuku (Hawaii) High
On3 Consensus: No. 354 
#AllGasNoBrakes

S Derek Williams, New Iberia (La.) Westgate
On3 Consensus: No. 30
#AllGasNoBrakes

S Jamel Johnson, Arlington (Texas) Seguin
On3 Consensus: No. 193
#AllGasNoBrakes

N/CB/S Javien Toviano, Arlington (Texas) Martin
On3 Consensus: No. 28
The competition: Texas A&M, and maybe Georgia, Alabama, LSU and Michigan

CB/N Jordan Matthews, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn
On3 Consensus: No. 133
The competition: Alabama 

CB Malik Muhammad, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff
On3 Consensus: No. 50 
The competition: Texas A&M, and maybe Alabama 

Does seem to be a lot of bread in that class if rankings are accurate.

I mean…err…trust the corches!

*ducks*

Edited by Ghost of Shag

There’s no way our “best class scenario” only includes 4 OL, two of which are kinda projects. I expect 5 minimum, likely 6.

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

*ducks*

MHP’s final list doesn’t square with how much we apparently want him. Not gonna shock me if he eventually loses his spot in the class. 

I have no opinion on Wilson. Not worrying much about guy #5 in a five man class though. 

We all know what the deal is with Randle. Nothing more to say on that. 

Shannon is an interesting one. Low ranking but they went out to CA, locked him up fast, and never looked back. They must see something they really like there. If we can land Duce, will be interesting to see if Shannon looks around a little. 

Goosby’s ranking will go up. Everyone seems to love him. We all know what Stroh and Cojoe are - monster humans that will take some time to develop. Defensible takes given our 2022 class.

I’m not 100% convinced that Vasek is a priority, rather than a back up plan, regardless of how the $9.95ers are acting. 

Walton I really don’t know much about. Just like Wilson though he’s going to be like guy #7 in a 7 man class so whatever.

Don’t see anyone else that could even conceivably be considered bread. 

Humidor:

Recruiting

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (Texas): The Horns continue to push for one of the state’s most coveted recruits. Texas wants Hale on campus in late July and the East Texas four-star is looking at making the trip. Alabama and Georgia round out Hale’s top three, with USC and Texas A&M on the outside looking in. He has a decision date, September 7th - his birthday. Texas has picked up a tremendous amount of slack, the question remains where he stands with the Crimson Tide and Bulldogs.

Miles McVay, East St. Louis (IL.) High: Texas will take a massive swing at the On3 Consensus four-star the last weekend in July. Alabama, Oregon, Texas A&M and Michigan State are strong competition for the 6-foot-6, near 370-pounder. With a decision scheduled for August 11, Texas doesn't have much time to work some magic.

Terrance Green, DL, Cypress (Texas) Cy Woods: Green and Texas continue to communicate. And the 6-foot-5, 275-pounder continues to be scheduled to make an unofficial visit the last weekend in July. IT was told Wednesday there is a chance Green shuts it down prior to that. Oregon would be the likely pick in that scenario. We will continue to monitor that in the coming days.

Hunter Osborne, DL, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville: The communication with the On3 Consensus 4-star and Texas has slowed down this week. The reason is Osborne is trying to commit to Alabama. But the ball is in Alabama's court. Should 5-star Peter Woods choose Clemson later today, Osborne to Alabama is worth monitoring. Even if Alabama says no, Tennessee is more likely as of today. Texas is not expected to push the communication on their end.

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington (Texas) Martin: Texas continues to push for the Metroplex four-star to visit Austin on July 29th for the BBQ. Texas A&M, Ohio State, LSU, and Oregon are also in the mix, but the Horns have his attention. With Martin teamates Morice Blackwell and Trevell Johnson on the Forty Acres, there’s plenty of familiarity, and with Arch Manning assisting, UT has the buzz. Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks are leading the charge with Terry Joseph and Chris Gilbert handling the leg work.

Finally, while Texas will host a BBQ the final weekend of the month, they are still trying to get a handful of priority targets in town during week, even if it isn’t for the BBQ. That whole week is a “live period” we’ll be monitoring closely.

41 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

*ducks*

Every class has "bread", even Bama.  Bread is every player that is not an impact player day one.  That is 75% of recruits in every class.  Also, TCU, Okie St. and others have been kicking our ass with bread for the last decade.  Development is our need and on that matter time will tell.  Right now, if the bread is on OL i'm ok with it, i trust Flood.  If its DL, i'm ok with it, i trust Bo.  If its any offensive position, I'm ok with it, I trust Sark.  If they are in the secondary or a LB i'd prefer we get 5 stars. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

*ducks*

See the post below: Nice bread if you ask me.

10 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

While we are jerking ourselves off in this world... 321.09 would be good for 7th best class since 2010.  

image.png.f0fd3d6e26a130363b8757c1244896fa.png

image.png.7916f488de0fcff68f1daf030e7d592b.png

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

There’s no way our “best class scenario” only includes 4 OL, two of which are kinda projects. I expect 5 minimum, likely 6.

I think their point is that as of today there isn't really anyone else.  They're still after McVay but that seems like a long shot even in a 'best-case' class at this point.

Shannon is an interesting one. Low ranking but they went out to CA, locked him up fast, and never looked back. They must see something they really like there. If we can land Duce, will be interesting to see if Shannon looks around a little. 

Those two don't play the same position.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

And just like the USC Rose Bowl, they talked mad shit non-stop before the game. Oops. 

They talked mad shit non-stop AFTER the game too. All the way to the car it was how they'd "see us again" and would "destroy us in the championship game."

I just laughed and told them not to hang their dreams on Texas being there. They had just lost to the worst team Mack Brown ever brought to Lincoln. The bitterness and hatred flowed like wine.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, tokamak said:

He's an in-line TE that blocks like a MF and can catch. In 7v7 those guys don't stand-out. In 2 TE offenses, they are essential.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

Putting edit slop aside, comparing a kid who has off field concerns and still legitimately pulls out that top three to this guy is a pretty fucking huge reach.

https://247sports.com/Player/Chase-Lane-46037828/

Hank South (Bama) thinks it'll come down to Hale's OV to Bama this Fall. 

But as far as aggy goes, Bama/Saban have nothing better to do than to hand out OVs to the Chase Lane types.  Yep.

• Haha 1

This class isn’t bread lol.  Bread is Max Merril…

Flood has been after Stroh since before we had Kelvin Banks, DJ Dampbell, and Cam Williams committed.  Sam Pittman knows a thing or two about OL as well and was after Stroh early as well.  I expect he’s going to continue to lose weight once he stops powerlifting.  Cam Williams showing up in better shape and showing early signs of being a player is only going to reinforce the type of players Flood wants.  

Andre Cojoe is like 15 years old and will be 16 turning 17 when he enrolls.  He is 6’6 and 330lbs and moves like he is 270 lbs.  The guy that trains him also trains DJ Campbell.  He said Cojoe did a private work out with Flood and Flood saw his size and athleticism and offered.  He also said that he’s competing with guys older than him.  He will definitely need time to develop due to his age but he is much further along and would be much more highly rated if he was classified with players in his age group.  Same guy trains Gooseby and said Gooseby is a basketball kid that is learning to play OL.  He’s just now filling his body and apparently grew like 3 inches and 40 lbs in the last year and he’s not done.  He has athleticism most OL don’t.

So if there is anything you want to take from this, I expect Flood to go after huge guys and guys that are very athletic.  You can teach kids to block, you can’t teach size and speed.

This is going to be a top 3 class.  Nothing about this class is “bready” outside of Will Randle and everyone knows why he has the offer list he has.  

• Hook 'Em 9

Top100 WR Jalen Hale has Tide on short list

Hank South

Spoiler

Top100 WR Jalen Hale has Tide on short list

Hank South

Four-star wide receiver Jalen Hale of Longview (Texas) is down to three schools: Alabama, Georgia, and Texas. The Top100 prospect is one of most coveted pass catchers in the class, coming in at the No. 11-ranked receiver and No. 59 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings.

The Tide has long been on Hale’s short list, dating back to earlier in the cycle. He visited campus in March.

“They put receivers in the league for sure,” he told 247Sports’ Andrew Hattersley of the Tide. “Me and Coach (Holmon) Wiggins got a real good relationship. We talk every day, almost. His word is like if I come in and compete, I can start as a freshman because they got some receivers that are going to go to the league.”

The 6-foot-2, 175-pounder plans to officially visit Alabama in the fall. He tentatively planned to use the last weekend of June as his selected date, but a 7on7 tournament altered his schedule.

There are no 247Sports Crystal Ball picks to date, but Georiga has been deemed the frontrunner of late. He took an official visit to Athens in June. The Tide will still have its opportunity to counter.

The Tide has two receivers currently committed in Cole Adams and Malik Benson.

Here’s Hale’s 247Sports player evaluation:

“Good height and length with lean, athletic frame. Plays above listed size in contested situations and after the catch. Gains ample effort yards thanks to combination of field demeanor and functional athleticism. Wiry strong with plenty of examples of run-after-catch strength above listed weight.

Displays excellent body control and core strength that shine in the air and via contact balance. Fluid mover whose movement patterns aid that balance. Shows great timing and concentration skills, whether on contested throws or tracking deep balls.

Particularly dangerous coming back to the ball, whether by design or on underthrown passes. Flashes terrific bailout ability for his quarterback. Production has been great through sophomore and junior seasons, especially considering run-first offense. Displays chain-moving short-to-intermediate consistency coupled with big-play per catch rate (22-plus yards per catch as a junior, 27 TDs in 96 catches entering senior year).

Very good high school basketball player who regularly scores in double figures at the Texas Class 5A level. Noticeably improved basketball athleticism from sophomore to junior year with added bounce and explosion, especially in the open floor. Also displays impressive sport-specific skill and mechanics. Adds to outstanding athletic profile with participation in the 200 meters and long jump.

Sometimes needs a runway to reach top speed. Can get more initial linear explosion to that end. Adequate long speed but can still squeeze more juice out of the top end. Good frame but a bit narrow, so will need to add as much mass as possible while maintaining functional athleticism.

High-floor receiver who does everything well, while also possessing an excellent athletic profile that suggests developmental upside in the long term. Should become a high-major impact player with the future ceiling of an NFL Draft pick.”

Georgia football makes top 3 for 4-star WR Jalen Hale

Kipp Adams

(Refers to Fall OVs to Texas, Bama and A&M ... not sure whether that's old info, or what.  Doesn't seem like anybody has much of a read on this guy.)

Spoiler

Georgia football makes top 3 for 4-star WR Jalen Hale

Kipp Adams

Longview (Texas) four-star wide receiver Jalen Hale named a top three Thursday and Georgia made the cut. The Dawgs were joined by Alabama and Texas in the group. The 6-foot-2, 175-pound wideout took two official visits last month - one to Georgia on June 3 and one to USC on June 17. 

"Georgia was the standout trip," Hale told Gigem247's Andrew Hattersley. "I got a good relationship with the coach Bryan McClendon. So to me, that's cool right there. It'd be a good fit for me. USC was a good visit. I still got three more officials."

Considered the nation's No. 59 overall prospect, No. 11 wide receiver, and No. 11 overall recruit in the state of Texas by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, Hale plans to take official visits this fall to Alabama, Texas, and Texas A&M and make a decision after those trips. There are no 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions in for Hale at this time.

Below is the 247Sports Scouting Report on Hale, from March 25:

"Good height and length with lean, athletic frame. Plays above listed size in contested situations and after the catch. Gains ample effort yards thanks to combination of field demeanor and functional athleticism. Wiry strong with plenty of examples of run-after-catch strength above listed weight.

Displays excellent body control and core strength that shine in the air and via contact balance. Fluid mover whose movement patterns aid that balance. Shows great timing and concentration skills, whether on contested throws or tracking deep balls.

Particularly dangerous coming back to the ball, whether by design or on underthrown passes. Flashes terrific bailout ability for his quarterback. Production has been great through sophomore and junior seasons, especially considering run-first offense. Displays chain-moving short-to-intermediate consistency coupled with big-play per catch rate (22-plus yards per catch as a junior, 27 TDs in 96 catches entering senior year).

Very good high school basketball player who regularly scores in double figures at the Texas Class 5A level. Noticeably improved basketball athleticism from sophomore to junior year with added bounce and explosion, especially in the open floor. Also displays impressive sport-specific skill and mechanics. Adds to outstanding athletic profile with participation in the 200 meters and long jump.

Sometimes needs a runway to reach top speed. Can get more initial linear explosion to that end. Adequate long speed but can still squeeze more juice out of the top end. Good frame but a bit narrow, so will need to add as much mass as possible while maintaining functional athleticism.

High-floor receiver who does everything well, while also possessing an excellent athletic profile that suggests developmental upside in the long term. Should become a high-major impact player with the future ceiling of an NFL Draft pick."

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

There's being grumpy your dad's school has been a bit hot and cold on you, and then there's seriously considering going to OU. That's some self harm shit.

His dad was one of my coaches. Wasn’t exactly the smartest dude. And he was my history teacher one year. He constantly dips. Shit he was dipping during a lecture once. Thought it was rude he didn’t offer me any 

• Haha 1