Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Chalk me up as a hater on the Shanahan stuff. He’s not a difference maker and now it gets to be set up as an ATM recruiting victory. I’m now hoping that Texas is intervening in order to steer the guy towards Clemson or wherever. 

aggy and pyrrhic victories. Name a better duo

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

IT is saying that MHP/Hale is a 'first one in' situation.  They won't be taking both.

Also not on 'imminent commit' watch on Muhammad - he is going to let this play out through July.

It makes sense for MHP's spot to be at risk, but would they really say no to Hale if MHP commits first? That seems wild to me, even with the character concerns. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

It makes sense for MHP's spot to be at risk, but would they really say no to Hale if MHP commits first? That seems wild to me, even with the character concerns. 

I think someone from Longview posted here that Hale has a fine character. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Where is this character risk shit coming from, other than aggy sites trying to make up reasons they were excluded.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yeah, I don’t really care about shitting on kids unless you’re willing to tell us what’s the cause for “character” issues.  Evan Stewart seems like a little bitch based on his most recent videos but he doesn’t have “character” issues from what I’ve seen.  Now guys like Demond Demas and Joshua Moore 100% have issues.   I haven’t seen Jalen Hale break any laws or get kicked off his team.  Seems like every school is still recruiting him. Aggy is the only fan base labeling him as character issues and we know why.

I will say, lots of other fanbases said Xavier Worthy and Jayden Blue had “character” problems during their recruitments and would be team cancers.  One is considered a team leader now and the other one has put his head down and worked since he enrolled and is expected to be a contributor.   These 16 year olds are now under a microscope with social media.  They are going to make mistakes and do stupid shit like most teenagers.  If they are breaking laws, then fair game
 otherwise we just look like aggy.  

I get where you're coming from, but I think theres a difference in what RGB passingly referred to as a character concern, and then people calling them team cancers. I get it but i think theres a difference.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I get where you're coming from, but I think theres a difference in what RGB passingly referred to as a character concern, and then people calling them team cancers. I get it but i think theres a difference.

I’m not specifically referencing to RGIII.  Just have seen Hale referenced as a “character” risk multiple times the last few days and I’ve never seen anything from his recruitment to think that.  In fact he seems pretty low key.    I could be way off base but put me in the camp that hopes he ends up in burnt orange.  A WR group of Cook, Niblett, Hale, Wilson may be the best for the 2023 class.  

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yeah, I don’t really care about shitting on kids unless you’re willing to tell us what’s the cause for “character” issues.  Evan Stewart seems like a little bitch based on his most recent videos but he doesn’t have “character” issues from what I’ve seen.  Now guys like Demond Demas and Joshua Moore 100% have issues.   I haven’t seen Jalen Hale break any laws or get kicked off his team.  Seems like every school is still recruiting him. Aggy is the only fan base labeling him as character issues and we know why.

I will say, lots of other fanbases said Xavier Worthy and Jayden Blue had “character” problems during their recruitments and would be team cancers.  One is considered a team leader now and the other one has put his head down and worked since he enrolled and is expected to be a contributor.   These 16 year olds are now under a microscope with social media.  They are going to make mistakes and do stupid shit like most teenagers.  If they are breaking laws, then fair game

This shouldn’t be a surprise. Recruiting is a game where people talk about a QB’s hand size or a player being 1 inch too short to play tackle. They over-scrutinize every aspect, so of course if a player shows up late or has any issue at all it will be the red flagged. Like any aspect of recruiting that criticism may or may not play a legitimate role in that kids future 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Worthy was never considered anything close to a character risk and Blue hasn't even made it to fall semester, so I might tap the brakes on those analogies.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Worthy was never considered anything close to a character risk and Blue hasn't even made it to fall semester, so I might tap the brakes on those analogies.

Yea he was.  We just didn’t hear about it because we didn’t exactly recruit him until after he committed/signed with Michigan.  He was considered a diva and a “me first” player in the camp circles, by the 9.95ers, and other fanbases.  As far as Blue, whether he sticks at Texas or not, I don’t know.  But RoJo and Bijan have both commented about his work ethic since arriving on campus and how well he has fit in within their position group.

27 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I’m not specifically referencing to RGIII.  Just have seen Hale referenced as a “character” risk multiple times the last few days and I’ve never seen anything from his recruitment to think that.  In fact he seems pretty low key.    I could be way off base but put me in the camp that hopes he ends up in burnt orange.  A WR group of Cook, Niblett, Hale, Wilson may be the best for the 2023 class.  

Composite scores:

Ohio State committed WRs are 

18, 28, 51, 267 

Cook, Hale, Niblett, Wilson would be:

36, 59, 75, 278

but both classes would be amazing. 

16 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yea he was.  We just didn’t hear about it because we didn’t exactly recruit him until after he committed/signed with Michigan.  He was considered a diva and a “me first” player in the camp circles, by the 9.95ers, and other fanbases.

I never went looking for Michigan fan comments about Worthy once he bolted for Austin. But hopefully they didn't go all aggy and jealously defame the kid. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

9 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

I'll take Cook over anyone osu has committed... Just sayin

Cook is a better WR now than most of the guys we had in the room last year outside of Whittington and Worthy.  The dude is an elite route runner, better than most college players  in this regard, and has long arms and strong hands.  Add in his speed and he’s perfect for this offense.  Talent wise, I’m not sure there is a better WR in this class.  The idiotic 9.95ers have said that the only thing holding him from being #1 WR in his class is his “size”.  He’s not very tall and doesn’t have film showing blocking.  As we’ve seen from the NFL drafts, those traits don’t exactly matter anymore.

I’m sure this has been mentioned before but Cook had an absolutely ridiculous stat last year.  He had 19 TDs on 38 receptions in probably the toughest district in the country.  

Edited by victory88

Just now, victory88 said:

Cook is a better WR now than most of the guys we had in the room last year outside of Whittington and Worthy.  The dude is an elite route runner, better than most college players  in this regard, and has long arms and strong hands.  Add in his speed and he’s perfect for this offense.  Talent wise, I’m not sure there is a better WR in this class.  The idiotic 9.95ers have said that the only thing holding him from being #1 WR in his class is his “size”.  He’s not very tall and doesn’t have film showing blocking.  As we’ve seen from the NFL drafts, those traits don’t exactly matter anymore.

He's devontae smith with a touch more size and a half step slower.  But he just outran Evans on film...  Sooooo đŸ€·đŸ»â€â™‚ïž

He'll be better than whit in every aspect except maybe yac.  But then whit is almost like a rb once he gets the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

He's devontae smith with a touch more size and a half step slower.  But he just outran Evans on film...  Sooooo đŸ€·đŸ»â€â™‚ïž

He'll be better than whit in every aspect except maybe yac.  But then whit is almost like a rb once he gets the ball.

Yup!!  I was listening to Standish compare him to Keenan Allen lol.  Smith is a perfect comp.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Look, man, you’ve been around long enough to avoid the stoogery of this post. Let’s count the problems with it:

1) Do you want negative shit about a recruit considering Texas aired on a Texas board before he makes a decision? Particularly if the negative shit is legitimate and he’ll know it when someone relays it to him?

2) Evan Stewart was kicked off of his team for being a shithead and a potential drug problem. Texas worked with his coaches to fix it for him and then he and his dad took $500k from ATM to go there and skip the first week of spring workouts. They had ATM negotiating against air at the end. Maybe that isn’t a “character issue” for you or maybe you should know enough to know you don’t know enough. 

3) Xavier Worthy isn’t considered a “team leader”. Just because a guy is a star, it doesn’t make him a leader. Dude is a mercenary that threatened a transfer on the day of the transfer deadline. 

4) Blue quit his fucking team after being disciplined. He tried to rejoin it later and the team rejected him in a team vote. He’s shown us nothing so far to trust him at all. 

• Hook 'Em 8

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas worked with his coaches to fix it for him and then he and his dad took $500k from ATM to go there and skip the first week of spring workouts. 

Best part of all this. If they paid him in crypto and he didn't sell it, aggy paid $500k, he got $250k.

Yet another reason NIL is superior to flash drives

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Look, man, you’ve been around long enough to avoid the stoogery of this post. Let’s count the problems with it:

1) Do you want negative shit about a recruit considering Texas aired on a Texas board before he makes a decision? Particularly if the negative shit is legitimate and he’ll know it when someone relays it to him?

2) Evan Stewart was kicked off of his team for being a shithead and a potential drug problem. Texas worked with his coaches to fix it for him and then he and his dad took $500k from ATM to go there and skip the first week of spring workouts. They had ATM negotiating against air at the end. Maybe that isn’t a “character issue” for you or maybe you should know enough to know you don’t know enough. 

3) Xavier Worthy isn’t considered a “team leader”. Just because a guy is a star, it doesn’t make him a leader. Dude is a mercenary that threatened a transfer on the day of the transfer deadline. 

4) Blue quit his fucking team after being disciplined. He tried to rejoin it later and the team rejected him in a team vote. He’s shown us nothing so far to trust him at all. 

Hey man, if they can score TDs, then I could care less as you see.  My point was that if everyone is going to label him as a problem player, then share the info.  Didn’t know that about Stewart.  I don’t think negotiating a bag is necessarily a red flag or every Bama player would be considered a risk.  That’s what college recruiting is now more or less.  Didn’t know about the drug issues but now we know and makes more sense.  As far as Worthy and being a mercenary, that was obvious when he dipped from Michigan to play for Sark.  He’s here for one reason and one reason only, to go to the NFL.  Dude doesn’t care about Texas and that’s fine.  That’s what college football is now.  Honestly, it’s probably better for Texas because we can at least acquire talent this way.  

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Hey man, if they can score TDs, then I could care less as you see.  My point was that if everyone is going to label him as a problem player, then share the info.  Didn’t know that about Stewart.  I don’t think negotiating a bag is necessarily a red flag or every Bama player would be considered a risk.  That’s what college recruiting is now more or less.  Didn’t know about the drug issues but now we know and makes more sense.  As far as Worthy and being a mercenary, that was obvious when he dipped from Michigan to play for Sark.  He’s here for one reason and one reason only, to go to the NFL.  Dude doesn’t care about Texas and that’s fine.  That’s what college football is now.  Honestly, it’s probably better for Texas because we can at least acquire talent this way.  

X seems like a pretty active recruiter for us, especially with other WRs, so it may not be fair to say he's a total mercenary or doesn't care about Texas (I highly doubt he chose Michigan for money in the first place). I think it's just time to think of CFB players like NFL players - they care about their team but at the same time a lot of them are going to make business decisions when it's time for "free agency." The two aren't mutually exclusive. So for X, yeah he held out for more money, but he could still very much care about Texas, NFL development, Sark, Austin, etc.

Idk either way, just pointing out that it's not that simple.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

X seems like a pretty active recruiter for us, especially with other WRs, so it may not be fair to say he's a total mercenary or doesn't care about Texas (I highly doubt he chose Michigan for money in the first place). I think it's just time to think of CFB players like NFL players - they care about their team but at the same time a lot of them are going to make business decisions when it's time for "free agency." The two aren't mutually exclusive. So for X, yeah he held out for more money, but he could still very much care about Texas, NFL development, Sark, Austin, etc.

Idk either way, just pointing out that it's not that simple.

If X didn't want to be at Texas, he wouldn't be here. See simply leveraged his position to get more money. Coach Fuck Face did the same thing when he was at Houston when negotiating with Texas. He used LSU to get more money. Bold strategy that paid off for both and both ended up where they wanted to be.

9 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Facts 

when I found out Hale ran a 10:6 in the 100 as big as he is I was sold!!! 

When did you see that he ran a 10.6? According to his athletic.net profile his best is a 10.84. I think this is the real sticking point with his recruitment. He lacks top end speed. 
https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=17756943

Edited by utfan87

2 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

When did you see that he ran a 10.6? According to his athletic.net profile his best is a 10.84. I think this is the real sticking point with his recruitment. He lacks top end speed. 

Oh no. The last 15 yards of his 99 yard catch and run won’t be up to standard. Pass. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

You could *not* care less. 

The post I just quoted is deflecting the discussion in which you jumped into and began spouting bad data. You claimed, with no substance, that folks were apparently wrong about Worthy having character questions because he’s now a “team leader”. He’s not, which I referenced, and the rest about him is babbling and irrelevant to the discussion. 

Similarly, you disregard the Stewart points driving the character concerns and then equivocate on his behalf for “negotiating” while blithely ignoring the issue with what his lot was doing - crawfishing a deal. If you don’t think that speaks further to disputing your original ignorant take defending his character, I guess we’ll all learn something today. 

Beyond all of that, I shared some info to dissuade you from further mewling, but that didn’t really get us anywhere and it never does. Posters are still going to be whine about “sources” and “credibility” when it comes to discussing recruiting. If you can’t fucking handle some vagueries for necessary reasons which you damned well should fucking understand, maybe exit the recruiting discussions from here. The football board might be more your speed. The rest of us can go back to sharing info and thoughts and the discussions can get back to going forward semi-productively. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

1) since when do you care about airing negative recruiting narratives that could affect recruits considering Texas? Isnt telling everyone who will listen that ‘our coach is an incompetent loser who will never win more than 7 games’ going to affect recruits? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Askew said:

1) since when do you care about airing negative recruiting narratives that could affect recruits considering Texas? Isnt telling everyone who will listen that ‘our coach is an incompetent loser who will never win more than 7 games’ going to affect recruits? 

That’s not personal to a recruit is it? If you can’t understand the difference between posting non-public info about a recruit inside the context of why Texas and other schools might not be pushing for him versus citing data that is publicly available, then you’re hopeless. Is that the case? Otherwise, what was your point? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

for context, that is a comparable 100m time to Evan Stewart

• Hook 'Em 6

Blue and Stewart both had much more obvious red flags than Hale as both were publicly kicked off their HS teams.

I have no idea what the deal with Hale is because nothing public has happened and no one has even specified the seriousness of his “character risks”. Forget about specific details we weren’t even given a range.

“Character risks” could span from being a diva to being a criminal, and I obviously care more about the latter than the former. Plenty of WRs that worked out were divas, it’s a common trait with that position.

And considering we took Blue anyway, from a recruiting standpoint, how much does the Hale stuff matter if it’s not criminal in nature?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That’s not personal to a recruit is it? If you can’t understand the difference between posting non-public info about a recruit inside the context of why Texas and other schools might not be pushing for him versus citing data that is publicly available, then you’re hopeless. Is that the case? Otherwise, what was your point? 

Your point wasn’t about protecting the privacy of recruits, it was the consequentialist point of ‘airing that info could cause the recruit to not go to Texas.’  Which I agree with. 

I don’t understand why you’d be ok with pushing a recruit away by synthesizing all of the negative data points regarding our head coach into a conclusive “he sucks”,  but then be worried about some non public info about that recruit coming into surly being the cause. 

• Hook 'Em 1