Texas @ WVU will be at 2:30 Central on 10/5 - ABC

Machinator

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Weird. I know almost nothing about WVU. And I don't even care. The next Mountaineer fan I meet will be the first.

There's a bunch in DC, since it's fairly close and a popular cheap choice for those that don't get into UVA or even Maryland. That group seems unremarkable, for better or worse. Never met actual West Virginian WVU grads.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

There's a bunch in DC, since it's fairly close and a popular cheap choice for those that don't get into UVA or even Maryland. That group seems unremarkable, for better or worse. Never met actual West Virginian WVU grads.

But I live in Texas. They aren't our rivals in any way, shape, or form.

Fuck those hillbillies.

I met and chatted at our tailgate party with some of their fans on their first trip to Austin after they joined the B12. Two mid/late 50s couples that lived in Pittsburgh and had flown in together for the game.  They were nice enough, very normal.  Didn't notice any upside down Texas paraphernalia anywhere on their persons.

But I probably should have beaten them up anyway, just to be safe.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

Quoted:  "The Mountaineers have a 4-3 lead since joining the Big 12".

FUCK THIS RIGHT HERE!!!  We need to smash their faces into the ground, and show them how to Aggy.

Let's see: Mack Brown tanked the program in 2010, and Tom Herman didn't get here until the 2017 season. Yeah, I can see how they've beaten us 4 of 7, but I have a feeling that will change.

spacer.png

Edited by Tex Pete

29 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I met and chatted at our tailgate party with some of their fans on their first trip to Austin after they joined the B12. Two mid/late 50s couples that lived in Pittsburgh and had flown in together for the game.  They were nice enough, very normal.  Didn't notice any upside down Texas paraphernalia anywhere on their persons.

But I probably should have beaten them up anyway, just to be safe.

I have that same strategy when playing GTA V

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

This.  They are completely anodyne fans as far as I can tell once you remove them from Morgantown.

1 hour ago, Izhmash said:

Quoted:  "The Mountaineers have a 4-3 lead since joining the Big 12".

FUCK THIS RIGHT HERE!!!  We need to smash their faces into the ground, and show them how to Aggy.

Well exactly. Why do they hate us? They are probably 0-7 against OU. Why would you hate some distant school who doesn't even ruin your season?

Ah well. It will just make it sweeter when we win.

19 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well exactly. Why do they hate us? They are probably 0-7 against OU. Why would you hate some distant school who doesn't even ruin your season?

Ah well. It will just make it sweeter when we win.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.

2 hours ago, brojangles2 said:

It has to be brutal and torturing to not only be hurt, but kept from traveling as well and being with your team. Is it to cut on expenses or what? Legitimately curious why they wouldn’t be there on the sideline in shorts and jersey or something.

Tom said in Thursday's presser that it's because they can only travel 70 guys for a Big 12 game, so I guess they want those spots for emergency reserve players.  And the injured players will get some extra treatment Saturday.

• Like 2

I’ve spent most of my adulthood in oil/gas, including a few years in PA and WV. When the Utica and Marcellus boomed, it was a huge relief to WV as coal mining (once a major point of economy and identity) was being pushed out at the same time. A huge influx of Texans showed up taking many of the higher paying O/G jobs because we already had the skills/knowledge to make it happen. It pissed ‘em off. T.A.FT. stickers all over the place...on hardhats, bumpers, banjos...stands for This Ain’t Fuckin’ Texas.  Mountaineer sports is about all there is to root for as far as state pride in competitive sports goes, so, you bet your ass they take seriously the chance to beat Texas at its own game...football. There will be a fight. It might all happen in the stands but there will be a fight. 

We are going to go up there there and rain down an un-Godly fucking firestorm upon West Virginia.  They’'re gonna have to call the fucking United Nations and get a fucking binding resolution to keep Texas from fucking destroying them.  We’re talking scorched earth, motherfucker! Texas will massacre them. TEXAS WILL FUCK THEM UP!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, torre said:

Anyone know what became of Whitman (ardent WVU fan and quality poster)  ?    Engineer, cool guy,  these WVU threads aren't the same without him.

His history shows he hasn’t logged on since January 16th. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

8 minutes ago, lulz said:

There's an article featured on Texas 247 saying there's good news about Anthony Cook... Has he been practicing well or something?

I don’t know about that. Don’t have 247.  But there is a guy who is close friends with him that works part-time at Pinkertons.  He played ball with Cook, Jamison and Woodard and talks to them all the time.  

He says Cook loves Texas and Herman.  And that cannot be bad.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Also, these corners are still young. I remember thinking Cedric Griffin, T Brown, Ross and Huff were playing like garbage as freshmen and sophomores.  Then they turned into Thorpe winners and won all American recognition.  

And then of course there's Blake Gideon and Earl Thomas blowing the Tech game and a chance at a national title in 2008... With Gideon then turning into a really solid player, and Earl into a future NFL Hall of Famer.

As Rod Babers pointed out on Longhorn Blitz though, it's a little concerning that Cook isn't getting on the field more even with all the injuries.

Edited by lulz

28 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Also, these corners are still young. I remember thinking Cedric Griffin, T Brown, Ross and Huff were playing like garbage as freshmen and sophomores.  Then they turned into Thorpe winners and won all American recognition.  

As a former DB, I always point out that that’s how it works in the secondary. Players almost never hit the field prepared for the speed of the game. It takes getting burnt a few times to learn what not to do against players who are experienced and used to the speed. Eventually, DBs learn how to play or don’t get to play. We’ve seen plenty of freshmen who weren’t quite ready. It just hurts when it seems like you have a bunch of them at once. 

42 minutes ago, lulz said:

And then of course there's Blake Gideon and Earl Thomas blowing the Tech game and a chance at a national title in 2008... With Gideon then turning into a really solid player, and Earl into a future NFL Hall of Famer.

As Rod Babers pointed out on Longhorn Blitz though, it's a little concerning that Cook isn't getting on the field more even with all the injuries.

Not sure Earl blew that game really.  Had he made the tackle they just kick a short field goal and win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lulz said:

There's an article featured on Texas 247 saying there's good news about Anthony Cook... Has he been practicing well or something?

"He looked dominant in reps against Epps. Showed extreme physicality against the 6'6" monster of a receiver. 

The future looks bright for the 4* CB. I expect him to be a shutdown corner later in the year."  

2 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

"He looked dominant in reps against Epps. Showed extreme physicality against the 6'6" monster of a receiver. 

The future looks bright for the 4* CB. I expect him to be a shutdown corner later in the year."  

Can’t tell if that’s sarcasm or not given how Epps has played so far.

• Like 1

IT

Injuries are always a big topic throughout the year, unfortunately, and right now is no exception:

Collin Johnson: Herman said he's a game-time decision. Based on what I hear, I think the plan is to play him unless he tweaks something in warm-ups. I didn't want to put a percentage on it but the guy I asked said he was 80% likely to play.

Jordan Whittington: Whittington is jogging after having his hernia repaired but how soon he comes back is anyone's guess. I'm decently confident he won't be back for OU. I don't think they want to rush him. The person I talked to said it might be wise to redshirt him if he can't go against OU -- save him for the Big 12 Championship game, assuming they make it, and the bowl game. I like that line of thinking. If he misses OU, they should be able to deal with every other team on the schedule without him.

Jalen Green: I'm not expecting the young corner to return for Oklahoma either. Fortunately there may be good news a few lines down the page so don't bite your nails off yet.

Caden Sterns: This is an interesting one. I think redshirting is absolutely on the table for Sterns. At a minimum we've heard he won't play for a while. I think he's tired of nagging injuries and wants to get 100% right. Thankfully UT is deep in the secondary -- at least for now.

DeMarvion Overshown: His back still isn't right and we're not sure when he'll return. Despite Herman saying he was on a similar timeline to BJ Foster we were a bit skeptical. He could miss OU too.

Redshirts: Marcus Tillman was going to play this season but had the good fortune of getting hurt in the fourth game rather than fifth. I had recently heard that David Gbenda was going to play but Todd Orlando made it sound like the goal is to redshirt him. We'll see, my guys still seem to think he'll play this year. Kenyatta Watson is one we're really watching closely. We've said they want to use his shirt strategically. They don't want to just get him experience in a blow out -- they want to bridge the gap between playing him for real and preserving his shirt. With things the way they are in the secondary he may get a taste this weekend. If he gets in and plays well they may just throw him into the rotation for good. We hear he's ready, he's long, he's physical, and he's fast.

Cornerback: With Green out that left the assumption that D'Shawn Jamison and Kobe Boyce would start. Not so fast. "Anthony Cook had a good week of practice and I think he'll start." This team needs him to step up in a major way. WVU *should* be a good chance for the young corners to gain some confidence. They just need to play within themselves, don't get caught with their eyes in the backfield, and let their talent do the rest.

Linebacker: I think we're starting to see the younger linebackers ascend and perhaps take over the position. Juwan Mitchell has clearly shown he belongs and the staff feels like Dele Adeoye is ready for increased snaps. Linebackers playing solidly this year is quietly one of the biggest story lines and will be a major boost to 2020 when the position should become a strength. Expect to see a lot of both Juwan and Dele.

Offense: The play of the offensive line is giving the staff confidence to run whatever it wants. Having Sam Ehlinger helps too but they're loving the guys up front. The goal is to make the running game even more assertive. I know they want to be a little less predictable on 3rd down in both the running game and being so reliant on Duvernay in the passing game to convert. Getting Johnson back would be big towards the latter.

Defense: This side of the ball is fortunate to have so much depth. I'm expecting a lot of nickel with both younger linebackers on the field quite a bit. As we previously reported, BJ Foster returned on Sunday. He returned to nickel with Chris Brown at boundary safety and Brandon Jones to the field. All these injuries and they're still running that out there for nickel and safety. If they go dime, we'll see a re-shuffling with Brown to Joker, Montrell Estell to the field, Jones to nickel, and BJ to boundary. Not much to say about the d-line. Those guys are doing their job and it's the #1 reason Todd Orlando likely found his preferred defense for the rest of the season, even if we might not see it much this weekend.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

We are going to go up there there and rain down an un-Godly fucking firestorm upon West Virginia.  They’'re gonna have to call the fucking United Nations and get a fucking binding resolution to keep Texas from fucking destroying them.  We’re talking scorched earth, motherfucker! Texas will massacre them. TEXAS WILL FUCK THEM UP!

We don't negotiate with terrorists.