Wax cup Shiners inside of the Cotton Bowl

Roofle

I'm guessing the night before shenanigans bar talk will be started in another thread next week? Me and my brother will be there Friday afternoon and it'll be our first Texas/ou game to attend. Pretty excited for this and i don't get excited for too much.

Wouldn't mind meeting some of y'all degenerates. I think i wouldn't mind, shit i might mind.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BERT said:

I'm guessing the night before shenanigans bar talk will be started in another thread next week? Me and my brother will be there Friday afternoon and it'll be our first Texas/ou game to attend. Pretty excited for this and i don't get excited for too much.

Wouldn't mind meeting some of y'all degenerates. I think i wouldn't mind, shit i might mind.

I've never been to the Red River game and have no desire to go, but the enthusiasm of Shag/Surly is contagious and now it's one of my very favorite games to watch on t.v., especially with the 11:00 a.m. kickoffs.  The "Night Before" thread is always highly-entertaining as well.  Two thumbs up all around.  

52 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

I've never been to the Red River game and have no desire to go, but the enthusiasm of Shag/Surly is contagious and now it's one of my very favorite games to watch on t.v., especially with the 11:00 a.m. kickoffs.  The "Night Before" thread is always highly-entertaining as well.  Two thumbs up all around.  

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Sorry you hate sports

Ha yeah this. We have a pair of people going with us this year who just love sports, especially football, and aren't OU or Texas fans, but knew this game is on any real sports fan's bucket list.

9 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

God I can’t wait for next Saturday. Weather looks pretty fucking awesome as long as the rain chances don’t increase. And why the fuck would someone not have desire to go to the ou sucks game?

I love college football, but just have no desire to go to games in real life.  I enjoy cooking prior, sitting in my recliner, watching on tv, and stepping out the back door to piss, all without lines of people.  Just old and surly, I guess.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

I've never been to the Red River game and have no desire to go, but the enthusiasm of Shag/Surly is contagious and now it's one of my very favorite games to watch on t.v

It's worth going at least once. The best shit is talked inside the fairgrounds. Ugly shit is talked inside the fairgrounds. But both fanbases can hang their hat on the greatness of the rivalry and the loud 50/50 stadium where one side is always screaming at the top of their lungs. Joy and pain at the same time, depending on which color you're wearing. It's a spectacle.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

It's worth going at least once. The best shit is talked inside the fairgrounds. Ugly shit is talked inside the fairgrounds. But both fanbases can hang their hat on the greatness of the rivalry and the loud 50/50 stadium where one side is always screaming at the top of their lungs. Joy and pain at the same time, depending on which color you're wearing. It's a spectacle.

I’ve always found that both fanbases, mostly when both are good like now, are fairly quiet inside the fairgrounds before the game. It’s like both fanbases know that this game could go either way and there’s a mutual respect. So shit talking is kind of kept to a minimum. 

The feeling inside the stadium can’t be explained, one side is cheering the other side is groaning and it’s palpable. Nothing like it

Yeah I never heard any shit talking at all until after the game but even then it's always just a few kids while most people are just trying to fight the crowd to do some fair stuff. 

Considering the online animosity of the rivalry it's amazing that I've never seen any issues in the years we've gone. 

8 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Yeah I never heard any shit talking at all until after the game but even then it's always just a few kids while most people are just trying to fight the crowd to do some fair stuff. 

Considering the online animosity of the rivalry it's amazing that I've never seen any issues in the years we've gone. 

Commerce Street on Friday night used to be quite a spectacle.  If you didn't see multiple fights break out, you were likely already passed out.

I still have the occasional young kid run up to me and scream "Texas sucks" in my ear, but it's not common.

The absolute worst, was during the string of Mack Brown shitfests, when kindly Sooner fans would actually buy me consolation beers in the fairgrounds after the game.  I mean, I accepted the free beer of course, but being pitied by Sooners is about the lowest feeling I'll ever have when it comes to sports fandom.  

• Like 2

The first year I took the ex (the dancer ex, my first ex went to UT with me) to the OU game was the first year of the big 12. We lost that game in OT. As we were walking out of the fairgrounds a group of 4 drunk OU fans got in front of us and starting yelling and screaming at us. Without even breaking stride I swung the pointy end of my burnt orange full quill ostrich boot right into the nads of the one directly in front of me. He dropped like a sack of potatoes and the ex and I just stepped over him and kept on walking. The last we saw he was curled up in the fetal position crying while his friends just stood there. That’s the only time I’ve ever had a problem at the fair. The old times on Commerce street are an entirely different matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

The absolute worst, was during the string of Mack Brown shitfests, being pitied by Sooners is about the lowest feeling I'll ever have when it comes to sports fandom.  

True this.    "Sorry about the game.  And, oh by the way, don't change head coaches."

The worst. 

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

This.  First year we went, an OU Granny (Seriously, in her 80's) bopped my wife with a rolled up program as we walked by in the mass of people.  My wife was like WTF.  I told her Red River Shootout baby.  Its an experience to be had at least once. Last year will always stand out for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The first year I took the ex (the dancer ex, my first ex went to UT with me) to the OU game was the first year of the big 12. We lost that game in OT. As we were walking out of the fairgrounds a group of 4 drunk OU fans got in front of us and starting yelling and screaming at us. Without even breaking stride I swung the pointy end of my burnt orange full quill ostrich boot right into the nads of the one directly in front of me. He dropped like a sack of potatoes and the ex and I just stepped over him and kept on walking. The last we saw he was curled up in the fetal position crying while his friends just stood there. That’s the only time I’ve ever had a problem at the fair. The old times on Commerce street are an entirely different matter.

Commerce back in the day was a whole different story.

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, The_highest_of_fives said:

This.  First year we went, an OU Granny (Seriously, in her 80's) bopped my wife with a rolled up program as we walked by in the mass of people.  My wife was like WTF.  I told her Red River Shootout baby.  Its an experience to be had at least once. Last year will always stand out for me.

In 1998, after we rolled OU, there was an old sooner fan and his even older dad slowly walking away from the stadium. They were decked out in their crimson polyester slacks and ancient OU fans gear. The younger old man looked to be in his 70s and the dad in his 90s, and frail. A couple of drunk UT frat boys ran right up into their faces and started yelling. One of them screamed "WHEW! We knocked the dust off that pussy!"

I yelled at the dudes to leave the old men alone, saw that the men were able to safely get away, and then laughed my ass off.  

44 minutes ago, The_highest_of_fives said:

FYI it’s just Texas-ou, not RRS

In 1998, after we rolled OU, there was an old sooner fan and his even older dad slowly walking away from the stadium. They were decked out in their crimson polyester slacks and ancient OU fans gear. The younger old man looked to be in his 70s and the dad in his 90s, and frail. A couple of drunk UT frat boys ran right up into their faces and started yelling. One of them screamed "WHEW! We knocked the dust off that pussy!"
I yelled at the dudes to leave the old men alone, saw that the men were able to safely get away, and then laughed my ass off.  
Little did we know the nlaa that would follow.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You, sir, are a great American.  

9 hours ago, utee94 said:

Commerce Street on Friday night used to be quite a spectacle.  If you didn't see multiple fights break out, you were likely already passed out.

I still have the occasional young kid run up to me and scream "Texas sucks" in my ear, but it's not common.

The absolute worst, was during the string of Mack Brown shitfests, when kindly Sooner fans would actually buy me consolation beers in the fairgrounds after the game.  I mean, I accepted the free beer of course, but being pitied by Sooners is about the lowest feeling I'll ever have when it comes to sports fandom.  

let the hate fill you up and feed your passion

Unpopular opinion: After yesterday, I think selling beer in the stadium was a bad idea.  Maybe I was stuck in a section of amateurs, but I spent most of the game letting people go by to either buy more beer or go piss, especially the women.  Can’t tell you how many plays I missed.  And don’t get me started on the drunk chick behind me that literally had a blood curdling scream every single play as if she was being murdered - offense and defense.  When those screams turned to yells of ‘fuck you bitch’ and ‘fuck you cunt’ on every play, I finally told her to knock it off as there were lots of kids around us.  Of course I became the target of her wrath for about 15 mins while others thanked me for saying something.  Luckily her friends cut her off at halftime, she took to her phone, then more or less passed out third quarter.  Fun times.  Hopefully just an isolated incident this year.  Maybe I’m just jealous beer was in cans and not my username....

4 hours ago, Wax Beer Cup said:

Unpopular opinion: After yesterday, I think selling beer in the stadium was a bad idea.  Maybe I was stuck in a section of amateurs, but I spent most of the game letting people go by to either buy more beer or go piss, especially the women.  Can’t tell you how many plays I missed.  And don’t get me started on the drunk chick behind me that literally had a blood curdling scream every single play as if she was being murdered - offense and defense.  When those screams turned to yells of ‘fuck you bitch’ and ‘fuck you cunt’ on every play, I finally told her to knock it off as there were lots of kids around us.  Of course I became the target of her wrath for about 15 mins while others thanked me for saying something.  Luckily her friends cut her off at halftime, she took to her phone, then more or less passed out third quarter.  Fun times.  Hopefully just an isolated incident this year.  Maybe I’m just jealous beer was in cans and not my username....

Completely agree. I partook of the beer but once I broke the seal, I couldn’t stay out of the bathroom. Missed a shitload of plays because the bathroom lines were nuts. Won’t drink them next year. 

10 hours ago, Wax Beer Cup said:

The lines were absolutely ridiculous.  I went up at halftime, saw the 15 min line and headed right back to seat. 

I found one of the roaming guys out in the concourse and he just plopped his tray down and started handing out beers and taking cash.  His manager came by and told him he had to keep moving, but I got a couple of beers before he had to quit.  It was pretty much a shit show, but the Cotton Bowl always is.