Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

going to spoiler this, but realize none of this is judgemental just trying to be educational

Hide contents

wirecutter goes into it but basically all formula in the usa is from 1 of 4 companies

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-baby-formula/

and

Perrigo makes basically all the generic formula you see and you can tell across the board based on top color/box style. they are the same no matter where you buy it. this gets super important if we have another formula shortage and their website has all their products on the top and you can click on it to see what is what and where to find it.

image.png.1ae556485c9794f88b231cff8b0cfbef.png

here's an example for their "advantage premium" formula (silver top) https://www.perrigopediatrics.com/advantage/

image.thumb.png.d0aefc43772f1527a2a2c8cb91d03254.png

we use the kirklands, can't recommend it enough - during the formula shortage it was hard to find anywhere so we did some switching out/around but Kirklands was stocked way better/more than everyone else.

looks like Perrigo makes the formula you showed above, but just know you are spending a fuckload, literally, for that vs something like Procare or "generic" formula.

that Bobbie is about $1.84 per powder oz (i'm sure there is some savings if you order ahead/subscribe or whatever) while Kirklands Procare is $0.69 per oz - the advantage premiums above are somewhere in the $0.70-$0.80 per oz range depending on what you get and where you get it.

here is some work someone on reddit did on a big comparison across the board last year on cost: https://old.reddit.com/r/FormulaFeeders/comments/yrhehr/i_did_a_comparison_of_all_the_big_brand_name/

• bobbie organic is at about $0.93 per 4 oz bottle, ballpark at 8 per day for 32 oz / day = 240 bottles per month = ~$223/month
  • kirklands procare is at about $0.35 per 4 oz bottle, ballpark at 8 per day for 32 oz of formula / day = 240 bottles per month = ~$84/month

if you are 100% in on organic, the wirecutter article i linked above has some more info in it and offers an option that is much less expensive on a per oz basis - somewhere around the $1.39 / oz range

again - no judgement here around what you end up doing or organic vs non organic or formula vs breast feeding. just trying to educate.

don't let fucking anyone bully you around formula vs breast feeding. nurses at hospital will ask but that's only because they have to. if you go exclusive formula feed from day 1 there is no downside to the baby. if you want more info on the "value" of breast feeding Emily Oster touches a bunch on it in Cribsheet

be ready for the olds to ask you what you are doing, folks you don't know, everyone. EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION. just lie to their faces if they are old, you don't know them well and they ask - just say you are breastfeeding the baby

She wants to breastfeed, if possible. If not, then we'll do formula. I think it will also depend on how much work the pumping every 2 hours is for her but it's 100% her decision.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

12 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

on the diaper pale thing - i know people like the one linked above and I wish we had gotten that one instead of a... whatever it is we have, one of those fuckers with the proprietary bags. With kid #1, the changing table was in her bedroom, which is on the second floor. I emptied the diaper genie every day to make it not retchworthy. Kid 2, we have a little table attachment set up on the pack and play that we keep set up downstairs (in addition to the one on his dresser upstairs) and I change 95% of his diapers downstairs. Kitchen trash is right there and I chuck them in there - typing that, maybe I'd be grossed out if it was an under counter thing, but it's just on the periphery of the kitchen in an open 1st floor. I empty that trash every day and the diaper genie doesn't get used much this time around. Much prefer it. My convoluted advice summed up here really is - make a changing station near where the action in your house is. And buy wipes in bulk.

For bottles, I feel like the kid kinda chose the bottle, although we settled on the same bottles for kid 2 so maybe we're influencing that more than we think. These are what we wound up with and they're a little bit of a pain (6 parts counting the lid - base, gasket, body, top, nipple, lid) but I'm like Forrest Gump cleaning his rifle with these - 

61+XC5hGqDL.jpg

what I wish for you is that you find the bottle that works for you well without buying every goddamn bottle on the market

Look at this 3 month old. He was holding his head up almost immediately and desperately wants to stand 

IMG_7198.thumb.jpeg.18c106904e8e738461d7c2afa1609c1f.jpeg

Very jealous of those kitchen cabinets as I work to salvage mine from the 1990's. Oh, and cute kid!

• Prepare your anus 1

14 minutes ago, hornian said:

I'm getting the snip so I'm done at three, but to be honest, once you have 3, you could have 5 with no big life changes (other than vehicles). When the older ones have friends over, it's honestly much easier. 

Ooh I’m afraid that's not true. 

I'm reminded of the Jim Gaffigan line about having 4 kids. Imagine you're drowning and then someone throws you a baby. 

Some definite changes happen. You can convince yourself to try to squeeze 5 into a bigger hotel room or one with a pullout couch or whatever. But once you hit 6 family members travel anywhere becomes a connected rooms/jumbo suite big deal. 

Of course, the cost of living goes up. We just recently became a 2lb family. When we make spaghetti now, we need 2lb of ground beef and more sauce to feed everyone. 

Also as they older, every added kid and their activities pile up. Our youngest just turned 6 and ever since he's gotten into sports the schedule complexity has blown up. Looking forward to the oldest being able to drive. 

This isn't to discourage people from 4. It's a fun, wild ride. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

She wants to breastfeed, if possible. If not, then we'll do formula. I think it will also depend on how much work the pumping every 2 hours is for her but it's 100% her decision.

Keep in mind that if feeding/latching is an issue while in the hospital, you can tell them to bring in the donor milk or formula. Fed baby is best baby. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Very jealous of those kitchen cabinets as I work to salvage mine from the 1990's. Oh, and cute kid!

I guess they weren't as rough as I remember maybe but when we bought the house, kitchen looked like this - 

image.png.5351e417e69ff1b7f55d3b69704e9f0a.png

i have zero regrets paying whatever company it was a bunch of money to sand/plug/paint/install hardware/etc the existing cabinets. although right when the project was done my wife made a comment about how maybe we should change the doors on the cabinets and it was one of the rare moments where she saw my face and never spoke about it again

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, NoName said:

again costco is awesome for this (same for sams) on a cost standpoint. BUY A BUNCH.

Can't imagine the cost of diapers currently. In the early Obama years we had 3 in diapers at the same time. 

At the time the cheapest way to get them was through amazon subscribe and save. unit costs were about $.25/each

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Keep in mind that if feeding/latching is an issue while in the hospital, you can tell them to bring in the donor milk or formula. Fed baby is best baby. 

We have watched some videos and they say if you want a specific formula if Brest feeding isn't possible to bring it in your hospital bag. Also say in the videos to take everything they give you in the hospital in the room is yours and to take it. Also mentioned asking for an extra dermaplast?

1 minute ago, Dish Boggett said:

Can't imagine the cost of diapers currently. In the early Obama years we had 3 in diapers at the same time. 

At the time the cheapest way to get them was through amazon subscribe and save. unit costs were about $.25/each

We are going kirkland diapers as they are made in the huggies factory. I think size 1-3 of Kirkland for 190ish diapers it's 35$ for 4-6 they are 45$ for 170ish 

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We are going kirkland diapers as they are made in the huggies factory. I think size 1-3 of Kirkland for 190ish diapers it's 35$ for 4-6 they are 45$ for 170ish 

Not too bad.. anyway the diaper stage is short lived.  Heads up it doesn't get any cheaper. You will spend more on a season of club volleyball than you did for all diapers combined.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dish Boggett said:

Not too bad.. anyway the diaper stage is short lived.  Heads up it doesn't get any cheaper. You will spend more on a season of club volleyball than you did for all diapers combined.

I know one thing is for sure....unless he's good enough to get on an actual good travel ball that actually is "select" team and start we will not be doing the travel ball thing. That cash grab can go fuck itself these days. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

46 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We have watched some videos and they say if you want a specific formula if Brest feeding isn't possible to bring it in your hospital bag. Also say in the videos to take everything they give you in the hospital in the room is yours and to take it.

Yeah they usually have the single use similac or enfimil. I think we brought hipp powder with us because my wife got it in her head that it's easier on their stomach.

I'm not sure if we actually used any of the stuff from the hospital that we brought home. Their swaddles aren't that great. 

2 hours ago, Dish Boggett said:

Yep.  Same, but with soccer.  Had two before one switched sports.  The biggest rackets are the college "ID" camps.  Many are tied to the coaches compensation.  Unless your coach has contacts with the coach and sets the expectations, it's not promising.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I know one thing is for sure....unless he's good enough to get on an actual good travel ball that actually is "select" team and start we will not be doing the travel ball thing. That cash grab can go fuck itself these days. 

I said the same thing 15 years ago.  Now I have 3 on 3 separate club teams.  It’s short lived too and I am enjoying every minute.  

Not much to add that hasn’t already been said, but all I can say is don’t overthink it. The sleep training courses, the food plans, etc etc are all great but I feel like it’s all mostly for peace of mind. Once we had our second we realized how silly we were for some of the stuff we worried about with #1, and I bet anyone with multiple kids would say the same. 

But mostly, get the longhorn wubanub.

IMG_2996.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

Anyone else with 2 boys about 2 years apart? I've got to imagine that the time from the little one becoming mobile to the older one starting school is going to an absolute whirlwind. I wouldn't describe the big boy as a chill dude, so I think we'll be holding on for dear life for a while.

Our youngest two (boys) are 20 months apart. They fight a lot even for four and two and play together a lot. But mostly fight. Hopefully it just  building character. They will only be one year apart in school thanks to the oldest being born in September. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Our oldest is June and youngest will be September/October, so they'll be 3 years apart. I'm kind of glad they have that hopeful separation in social life.

And I would say we're definitely not overthinking it this go around like we may have the first time. If the wife wasn't dying of constant morning sickness, this pregnancy would be much lower stress than the last one.

9 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Not much to add that hasn’t already been said, but all I can say is don’t overthink it. The sleep training courses, the food plans, etc etc are all great but I feel like it’s all mostly for peace of mind. Once we had our second we realized how silly we were for some of the stuff we worried about with #1, and I bet anyone with multiple kids would say the same. 

But mostly, get the longhorn wubanub.

IMG_2996.jpeg

Remembering the spreadsheet app with feeding/poop information -

image.jpeg.81f1f3e55064daf5f0a8019f6b8d5af1.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Remembering the spreadsheet app with feeding/poop information -

image.jpeg.81f1f3e55064daf5f0a8019f6b8d5af1.jpeg

My wife diligently tracked this until she went back to work and then all of a sudden it was all "who cares?  Kid's fuckin' fine."

Oh here’s some dad hacks - calmoseptine for diaper rash: it’s the heavy duty shit with the geriatric stuff for incontinent people. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - apply at first signs of trouble.  Also, cortisone covered in aquaphor for little rashes and skin irritation in other areas.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

Our oldest is June and youngest will be September/October, so they'll be 3 years apart. I'm kind of glad they have that hopeful separation in social life.
And I would say we're definitely not overthinking it this go around like we may have the first time. If the wife wasn't dying of constant morning sickness, this pregnancy would be much lower stress than the last one.

My brother and I are like that. They’ll probably do a lot of fighting before it’s all said and done.

gonna cross post this. But during the Rangers/Astros game my 5 year old daughter comes out and see an Astros player battering(It was Yainer Diaz, not Altuve).

Her "Is that short fuck Altuve?"

Mom was not amused 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

IMG_4050.thumb.jpeg.5cdc8296f2f040cc6bd94b0244761c73.jpeg
those Luvs are size 3 and were gifted. Below them are a box of Kirkland brand 3s. We’ve slowly collected plus whatever we get from showers. 
One thing I always tell people expecting a first kid (or any kid, I guess) is stock up on diapers now. CVS had a thing (not sure if they still do) with their CVS Bucks that every once in a while they're would be a sale where spending $30 on baby stuff would give you $10 in CVS Bucks. So I'd but three $10 bags of diapers in various sizes then use the free $10 to get a 4th bag. I bought every size from 1 to 4 multiple times. Only got 1 back of NB (up to 10lbs) because my wife had blood sugar issues and there was a risk of a big baby. Boy came out at 7lbs so we had to pick up a couple packs of NBs until he fit the 1s, but we didn't buy diapers again until he was 7mo old.

Those baby item sales at CVS are also a good time to pick up bottles of baby powder, bags of wipes, baby lotion, bath soap/shampoo, etc. Then get your free bag of diapers.

Oh, and pick up a 6pk of pre-mixed formula just in case. Our son seemed to do fine initially at the hospital, but then had latching problems at home and wasn't getting enough. We were released on a Saturday and didn't see the pediatrician until Monday and he lost 2lbs in that time. Doc immediately got a bottle of formula and he ended up on formula the rest of the way. Never could latch properly and wife's production dropped quickly. Better to have some and not need it than to need it and not have it. You can donate it if you end up not needing it.

Anyone deal with their very little ones having social anxiety resulting in crazy tantrums?

Our 22 month-old goes to daycare and does just fine. He can go play at a crowded park and is OK. He can go out to eat with just us or fly on a plane. But if we go out to eat with other people where there is any extended interaction with someone else, or have people over that he isn't very familiar with, it's meltdown city. Screaming, crying, arching his back, smacking his head on the ground.

He is developing language just fine. He can interact appropriately with kids at daycare, or the caregivers there, or us. But throw him in a room with anyone who isn't family or daycare, and he loses his shit. 

It's get super frustrating.

14 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

But throw him in a room with anyone who isn't family or daycare, and he loses his shit. 

Yeah, I hear that. Now I get to work from home about half the time, and that helps. Oh, you mean the kid. Probably just an introvert who likes structure.

10 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

But if we go out to eat with other people where there is any extended interaction with someone else, or have people over that he isn't very familiar with, it's meltdown city. Screaming, crying, arching his back, smacking his head on the ground.

He is developing language just fine. He can interact appropriately with kids at daycare, or the caregivers there, or us. But throw him in a room with anyone who isn't family or daycare, and he loses his shit. 

How much of it, if any, has to do with him not being the focus of attention?  I often see kids going to great lengths to get or keep parents attention in situations where the parents are interacting with others.  Not sure if that is the case or not, but it might be worth exploring.

It doesn't seem to be attention-seeking. Usually happens immediately upon entering an environment he's not feeling or as soon as people come into his space. Worst around a dinner table for some reason, I guess if he feels stuck in one spot near other people. 

I think he is just painfully shy, but he makes it pretty painful for everyone around him.

Anyone deal with their very little ones having social anxiety resulting in crazy tantrums?
Our 22 month-old goes to daycare and does just fine. He can go play at a crowded park and is OK. He can go out to eat with just us or fly on a plane. But if we go out to eat with other people where there is any extended interaction with someone else, or have people over that he isn't very familiar with, it's meltdown city. Screaming, crying, arching his back, smacking his head on the ground.

Not to be a Debbie Downer or to see things that aren't there, but have you thought of having an evaluation for Autism or one of the lighter versions of it?

My wife is a special education teacher dealing with Kindergarten down to 3yos. I had her read your description and she didn't necessarily think 'autism' but thinks maybe an evaluation might help.

Autistic kids - from high functioning to severe - take comfort in familiarity: familiar surroundings, familiar people, familiar routines, etc. Moving into an unfamiliar place or around unfamiliar people (even people they've met before but aren't around a lot) can cause major meltdowns. It helps to really about the unfamiliar event multiple times over the few days before so they can get comfortable with the idea.

Again, not saying this is what's going on with your kid, but you might want to think about it if it continues or gets worse.

I need some phone advice help. Daughter just turned 12. Wife wanted to get her a phone for Christmas despite for months me saying she’s too young for a smart phone. Wife got her a Gabb phone.  Rules were set. Rules were broken - and not just in an accidental way but a trying to get away with things way. Phone part of camera was abused (nothing sexual). Anyway, look who was right, wife went nuclear option, she’s too young for a smart phone now. 

We still like her having a phone that she can take with her when she goes out to play. That was definitely nice that we copied let her roam a bit farther on her bike (and her younger birthed). 

Any recs for a no camera / internet phone?  The flip phones look good, but I haven’t seen one that has a text monitoring option. 

• Rage+1 1

No help there, but a couple suggestions for when she does graduate to a smart phone:

1)  Phone contract.  It's somewhere in this thread.  Make one, everybody sign it, and adhere to it.
2)  Do not give her the phone as a gift.  It's not hers, it's yours and you're allowing her to use it as a tool.  Dad lendeth, and dad can taketh away.

Those things served us well with our boys, and we treated cars the same way.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here is the cell phone contract I had my kids sign:

Spoiler

Cell Phone Agreement

In exchange for the privilege of carrying and using a cell phone, I agree to the following terms and conditions:

1.         I understand that the rules below are for my safety and that my parents love me more than anything in the world.  I understand that my parents want to give me freedom, while also giving me enough security to make smart choices.  Initial here: ____

2.         I promise that my parents will always know the phone passwords.  I understand that my parents have a right to look at my phone whenever there’s a need for them to do so, even without my permission.  Initial here: ____

3.         I will never ignore a phone call if the screen reads “Mom” or “Dad.”  Initial here: ____

4.         I will hand the phone over to one of your parents promptly at 9:30 p.m. every night.  It will be shut off for the night and turned on again at 7:00 a.m.  I will not let my phone interfere with sleep, schoolwork, or other important activities.  Initial here: ____

5.         If it falls into the toilet, smashes on the ground, or vanishes into thin air, I am responsible for the replacement costs or repairs.  I will tell my parents right away if the phone is damaged, lost or stolen.  Initial here: ____

6.         I will NEVER use my phone or social media to bully or tease anyone, even if my friends think it’s funny.  I will tell my parents if I become aware of a cyber-bullying situation.  Initial here: ____

7.         I will not text, email, or say anything through this device I would not say in person.  I will not text, email, or say anything to someone that you would not say out loud with their parents in the room.  Initial here: ____ 

8.         I promise I will tell my parents when I receive suspicious or alarming phone call or text messages from people I don’t know.  I will also tell my parents if I am being harassed by someone via my phone.  Initial here: ____

9.         I will never search for porn or anything else that I wouldn’t want Mimi and Meemaw finding.  Initial here: ____

10.       I will turn it off, silence it, and put it away in public.  Especially at a restaurant, at the movies, or while speaking with another human being.  Initial here: ____

11.       I will not send or receive pictures of my private parts or anyone else’s private parts.  It is risky and could ruin your teenage/college/adult life.  It is always a bad idea.  Cyberspace is vast and more powerful than you.  And it is hard to make anything of this magnitude disappear – including a bad reputation.  Initial here: ____

12.       I will get my parents’ permission before downloading or purchasing apps.  I will not sign up for social media without my parents’   permission.  Initial here: ____

You’ve made it this far without the necessity of a phone – don’t make it a necessity.  You will mess up.  We will take away your phone.  We will sit down and talk about it.  We will start over again.  You and us are always learning.  We are on your team.  We are in this together.

I understand that this is NOT my phone and that it was paid for by my parents.  Having a phone is not a right - it is a privilege that can be taken away.  As such, I have read the document and agree to the above rules.  I understand that if I have any questions, I should talk to my parents face-to-face.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I'm about two hours from flying home to NY from two days of meetings in Chicago and early in the morning we fly to Orlando....twin 6YO's first Disney. Short 4 day trip. I've not been since I was probably their age. Then driving over to Marco Island for another 4 days. 

I self medicate and drink so I suspect this will as fun as humanly possible. 

24 minutes ago, next2naus said:

I'm about two hours from flying home to NY from two days of meetings in Chicago and early in the morning we fly to Orlando....twin 6YO's first Disney. Short 4 day trip. I've not been since I was probably their age. Then driving over to Marco Island for another 4 days. 

I self medicate and drink so I suspect this will as fun as humanly possible. 

I am so jealous...of the self medication and drinking part.

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I will NEVER use my phone or social media to bully or tease anyone, even if my friends think it’s funny.

I'm out

I will not text, email, or say anything through this device I would not say in person. 

Still out

I will never search for porn or anything else that I wouldn’t want Mimi and Meemaw finding.

1000% out

• Haha 2

On 4/14/2024 at 6:38 PM, Modessit said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer or to see things that aren't there, but have you thought of having an evaluation for Autism or one of the lighter versions of it?

My wife is a special education teacher dealing with Kindergarten down to 3yos. I had her read your description and she didn't necessarily think 'autism' but thinks maybe an evaluation might help.

Autistic kids - from high functioning to severe - take comfort in familiarity: familiar surroundings, familiar people, familiar routines, etc. Moving into an unfamiliar place or around unfamiliar people (even people they've met before but aren't around a lot) can cause major meltdowns. It helps to really about the unfamiliar event multiple times over the few days before so they can get comfortable with the idea.

Again, not saying this is what's going on with your kid, but you might want to think about it if it continues or gets worse.

I've thought about it, but I think we're OK in that regard. Again, in a number of settings, he will interact perfectly normally. He just seems to be very shy and is also hitting peak tantrum right now. A month ago, he didn't act this way.

On 3/26/2024 at 8:49 AM, NoName said:

going to spoiler this, but realize none of this is judgemental just trying to be educational

Reveal hidden contents

wirecutter goes into it but basically all formula in the usa is from 1 of 4 companies

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-baby-formula/

and

Perrigo makes basically all the generic formula you see and you can tell across the board based on top color/box style. they are the same no matter where you buy it. this gets super important if we have another formula shortage and their website has all their products on the top and you can click on it to see what is what and where to find it.

image.png.1ae556485c9794f88b231cff8b0cfbef.png

here's an example for their "advantage premium" formula (silver top) https://www.perrigopediatrics.com/advantage/

image.thumb.png.d0aefc43772f1527a2a2c8cb91d03254.png

we use the kirklands, can't recommend it enough - during the formula shortage it was hard to find anywhere so we did some switching out/around but Kirklands was stocked way better/more than everyone else.

looks like Perrigo makes the formula you showed above, but just know you are spending a fuckload, literally, for that vs something like Procare or "generic" formula.

that Bobbie is about $1.84 per powder oz (i'm sure there is some savings if you order ahead/subscribe or whatever) while Kirklands Procare is $0.69 per oz - the advantage premiums above are somewhere in the $0.70-$0.80 per oz range depending on what you get and where you get it.

here is some work someone on reddit did on a big comparison across the board last year on cost: https://old.reddit.com/r/FormulaFeeders/comments/yrhehr/i_did_a_comparison_of_all_the_big_brand_name/

• bobbie organic is at about $0.93 per 4 oz bottle, ballpark at 8 per day for 32 oz / day = 240 bottles per month = ~$223/month
  • kirklands procare is at about $0.35 per 4 oz bottle, ballpark at 8 per day for 32 oz of formula / day = 240 bottles per month = ~$84/month

if you are 100% in on organic, the wirecutter article i linked above has some more info in it and offers an option that is much less expensive on a per oz basis - somewhere around the $1.39 / oz range

again - no judgement here around what you end up doing or organic vs non organic or formula vs breast feeding. just trying to educate.

don't let fucking anyone bully you around formula vs breast feeding. nurses at hospital will ask but that's only because they have to. if you go exclusive formula feed from day 1 there is no downside to the baby. if you want more info on the "value" of breast feeding Emily Oster touches a bunch on it in Cribsheet

be ready for the olds to ask you what you are doing, folks you don't know, everyone. EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION. just lie to their faces if they are old, you don't know them well and they ask - just say you are breastfeeding the baby

Everyone has an opinion, including you and an economist named Emily Oster. I don't have any problem with that, truly, but it's just not accurate. Formula is a godsend. It's fantastic in countless ways and there shouldn't be any judgment for someone who choses to use or has to use formula, but breast feeding is better. There is a definitive, factual downside. 

For giggles I added a WHO study and results about the marketing and biased science of an insanely profitable formula industry in addition to some papers, articles and studies from: John's Hopkins, National Library of Medicine, WebMD, Mount Sinai, the WHO and Harvard. The FDA finds decreased risk of food allergies and lower risk of obesity with breastfeeding. 

https://www.who.int/europe/news/item/23-02-2022-new-who-research-urges-an-end-to-aggressive-formula-milk-marketing-that-discourages-breastfeeding

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/why-we-shouldnt-demonize-formula-feeding-2018040313557

https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/special-topic/breastfeeding-vs-formula-feeding

https://www.webmd.com/baby/breastfeeding-vs-formula-feeding

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4882692/

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/breastfeeding-your-baby/breast-milk-is-the-best-milk#:~

https://www.fda.gov/food/social-and-behavioral-science-research-food/consumer-research-infant-formula-and-infant-feeding

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

16 hours ago, Welshy said:

Everyone has an opinion, including you and an economist named Emily Oster. I don't have any problem with that, truly, but it's just not accurate. Formula is a godsend. It's fantastic in countless ways and there shouldn't be any judgment for someone who choses to use or has to use formula, but breast feeding is better. There is a definitive, factual downside. 

For giggles I added a WHO study and results about the marketing and biased science of an insanely profitable formula industry in addition to some papers, articles and studies from: John's Hopkins, National Library of Medicine, WebMD, Mount Sinai, the WHO and Harvard. The FDA finds decreased risk of food allergies and lower risk of obesity with breastfeeding. 

https://www.who.int/europe/news/item/23-02-2022-new-who-research-urges-an-end-to-aggressive-formula-milk-marketing-that-discourages-breastfeeding

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/why-we-shouldnt-demonize-formula-feeding-2018040313557

https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/special-topic/breastfeeding-vs-formula-feeding

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/breastfeeding-your-baby/breast-milk-is-the-best-milk#:~

https://www.fda.gov/food/social-and-behavioral-science-research-food/consumer-research-infant-formula-and-infant-feeding

sorry if this came across like i was shitting on breast feeding - i am not. i am recognizing that not every woman can physically do it and that not every baby latches well enough for breast feeding to work. my wife had major issues breast feeding with our first and the looks/comments we got from folks around our age and folks in healthcare (my industry) make my blood literally boil

breast IS best. but anyone acting like formula is crappy is wrong, period.

i genuinely HATE the olds who act like you are letting your baby down by not breast feeding or folks who had no issue breast feeding looking down on women who do have issues.

also no reason to take a shot at Oster. she isn't perfect, but cribsheet and the other work she does is excellent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My daughter has been grinding hard on the beach volleyball circuit. She's still in the "no contact" phase of recruiting and has been struggling because of the unknowns. Well all within the span of a couple weeks she was directly invited to camp at 3 different D1 schools (think UT's junior day camp) and to participate in a NTDP (regional national team camp).  Nothing more rewarding than watching your kids achieve their goals

• Hook 'Em 3

On 4/15/2024 at 7:41 PM, UT_OB1 said:

I need some phone advice help. Daughter just turned 12. Wife wanted to get her a phone for Christmas despite for months me saying she’s too young for a smart phone. Wife got her a Gabb phone.  Rules were set. Rules were broken - and not just in an accidental way but a trying to get away with things way. Phone part of camera was abused (nothing sexual). Anyway, look who was right, wife went nuclear option, she’s too young for a smart phone now. 

We still like her having a phone that she can take with her when she goes out to play. That was definitely nice that we copied let her roam a bit farther on her bike (and her younger birthed). 

Any recs for a no camera / internet phone?  The flip phones look good, but I haven’t seen one that has a text monitoring option. 

My oldest has a Gizmo Watch from Verizon that has worked wonderfully for us. Everything is controlled through an app-who her contacts are, who can call, we can see her location, etc. she only use the built in text words/emojis. She can’t actually type on it. She can make phone calls from it, but only to people who are in her list. I’m sure other phone service providers have something similar. 

daughter is 14 headed to high school next year, so I'm a couple years ahead. Good luck and God bless in holding the line. Every friend my daughter has she FaceTime and snaps *constantly*. And fortuitous, they actually set up face to face mall crawls and such. If your daughter claims social isolation from a smartphone ban... I would believe them. Even the apple iPhone chat bubble snobbishness is real. That said, bed time and screen time apps are plentiful and fairly simple to set up. 

19 hours ago, NoName said:

sorry if this came across like i was shitting on breast feeding - i am not. i am recognizing that not every woman can physically do it and that not every baby latches well enough for breast feeding to work. my wife had major issues breast feeding with our first and the looks/comments we got from folks around our age and folks in healthcare (my industry) make my blood literally boil

breast IS best. but anyone acting like formula is crappy is wrong, period.

i genuinely HATE the olds who act like you are letting your baby down by not breast feeding or folks who had no issue breast feeding looking down on women who do have issues.

also no reason to take a shot at Oster. she isn't perfect, but cribsheet and the other work she does is excellent.

Wife was like that with my son.  She pumped instead and supplement with formula as we slowly transitioned off as the kid got older.  Now the only one who sucks on them is me, but I usually have to buy a major appliance or clean the house first

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

My daughter has been grinding hard on the beach volleyball circuit. She's still in the "no contact" phase of recruiting and has been struggling because of the unknowns. Well all within the span of a couple weeks she was directly invited to camp at 3 different D1 schools (think UT's junior day camp) and to participate in a NTDP (regional national team camp).  Nothing more rewarding than watching your kids achieve their goals

Heading up to meet the coaches as KU this weekend.  I get it.  "Dad" has morphed into professional driver, chef, travel agent, and most importantly - sports psychologist.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/16/2024 at 8:16 PM, Welshy said:

This.  I also want to add for premies in the NICU, there is NOTHING on this planet that will help a newborn's chances of survival be higher than colostrum (sp?) and boobie milk.  Pop's did some consulting with the Austin milk bank years back.  It's liquid gold for those little guys.  If your fun bags are overflowing, please consider contacting them and donating what you can.  This was many moons ago, but there was always a shortage.  

• Hook 'Em 2

SIAP, for those in Austin with 5-17 year olds who like to swim and who aren’t on a year-round team, Parks and Rec opened up swim team registration earlier this month.  Not sure how long registration runs, but the season is from early June through mid/late July.  Last year the kids finished the season by swimming at UT’s natatorium.  Only $80 for 4 days a week practice and saturday swim meets at the various neighborhood pools   

https://www.austintexas.gov/department/swim-teams

Many/most of the neighborhood pools have teams

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2