2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

MY recruited Rudolph and had a hand in Sanders for us, and yes his numbers were top-10 when he had one of the best quarterbacks/WR combos ever to play for the Pokes.  Our main beef was his frequent failure to make halftime adjustments and tendency to turtle up in the red zone, and overall lack of creativity at a time when the game was moving away from a flat-out air raid style.  It was maddening at times.  

Getting conservative at key moments certainly seems to be a hallmark of Gundy so it may not all be on MY.  Also his interview where he used legos to demonstrate plays was a low hanging fruit for derision when things weren’t going our way.  Also Gundy has a hard on for balance and a stout run game, wanting to head towards a more veerish RPO world that can run clock when necessary.  

I don’t have any ill will towards the man, he was receiving interest before he left osu and was surprised that he took a demotion.  Maybe he’s innovated and gotten away from mostly calling dive and 4-verts in key situations, or maybe Gundy was really telling him what plays to call...I dunno...but he was no Holgerson with innovation or Meecham with aggression, so naturally we were all torn on him.  

If anyone said it was universal sadness with our fan base when he left is full of it.  The numbers were great on paper but the results on the field were sometimes maddening. 

When has a team really ever had universal praise for a coach?? There is always SOMETHING that fans get upset about regarding coaches. So yeah while there is always complaints, none of the OkSt fans I spoke to were “ecstatic” to see him go like some posters on here seem to be implying you guys were. Point is he had great offenses with you guys and was getting talked to by other teams before leaving for Ohio St. This is just the weirdest way to try and bash a new hire. “Yeah his offenses were great, but he did things not every fan liked!!!”. Alrighty I’ll take that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

His penchant for running zone read out of 10 personnel is enough to convince me that he could be really effective on our staff.

I'm out of rep, but this. A thousand times, this. Sam/Rojo/Milroe running the zone read with Bijan out a four wide set would be incredible.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

What do we actually know about how the players on defense feel about Chris Ash? Because if that was overblown Surlyish hype, then I might start drinking kool aid early next off-season. I like the possibility of a Yurcich hire much more than I hated the Ash hire.

Yurcich looks like the better hire, and Ash is being presented with a much more difficult challenge.  I don’t think Ash is an idiot, but that hire has the clear potential of blowing up in Herman’s face next season. 

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

You won 10 games four out of the six years he was there. 

Hence the word ‘sometimes’.  I liked the guy and think he’s a good hire for y’all, just saying our fan base yearns for the days of Holgy/Monken when we had a 29yo quarterback former MLB guy who got drafted in the league and a transcendent WR/RB combo that helped us finally win a conference title.  That team may very well have won a natty if they hadn’t shit the bed against ISU.  MY didn’t quite have those weapons (or a defense that lead the league in takeaways)...and wasn’t quite as aggressive at times.  

And yeah I bet our red zone scoring dropped off after he left, but I’m going to give it a year or two before I lament the loss of MY as the reason.  One season with a frosh QB dual threat that got injured and a rebuilding OL may have a lot to do with that.  Just trying to give some input on what the more vocal osu fans seem to think about Yurcich...he did a good job but our offensive philosophy is changing so the numbers aren’t probably directly comparable.  

Edited by Homercles

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Yurcich looks like the better hire, and Ash is being presented with a much more difficult challenge.  I don’t think Ash is an idiot, but that hire has the clear potential of blowing up in Herman’s face next season. 

I mean considering (i) the bar for improvement is so low and (ii) it's statistically unlikely we'll see the crazy injuries on that side of the ball next year, I think it's going to be difficult for it to 'blow up' on him.  We're pretty conditioned to lots of points being scored in the Big 12 regardless.  But the Offense will have significantly higher expectations given that it's Sam's senior year.  I think a lot more pressure on that side of the ball to get it right.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Harvdog said:

This guy sounds deplorable. 🙄

I never heard of a rebellion at OkSt because the coach was an asshole. He’s had some lower rated recruits and turned them into stars. His job is to put up the same type of stats that Ok St put up. If he does that and Ash does his job, these are going to be the start of some great times again. 

I see what you are doing.

NLV_kool_aid_xyuabm.gif

SIAP.  From OB: Ohio State 995 mod calls bullshit on Yurcich story:

** ‘Calling shenanigans’ … On Sunday, Stadium.com’s Brett McMurphy posted on Twitter that Texas head coach Tom Herman has whittled his wish list to replace Tim Beck as his offensive coordinator to two names – Ohio State QBs coach/co-OC Mike Yurcich and Minnesota OC Kirk Ciarrocca.

One of our best sources saw those rumors and he went to work debunking them. Here was his diatrible (largely unedited, except for use on a family website):

“That’s total bull(bleep),” our guy said. “For starters, Tim Beck was making $800,000. Yurcich made $950,000 this year in the first year of a two-year contract. He’d have to somehow get out of that contract to make a lateral move to Texas.

“Second, Yurcich has already earned another $323,000 in bonuses. That’s 8.5 percent for winning the Big Ten East, 4.5 percent for winning the Big Ten and 21.25 percent for qualifying for the College Football Playoff. If they beat Clemson this week and reach the championship game, that’s another 25.5 percent or $242,000. So he’s already made $1.3 million and it would be over $1.5 million if they beat Clemson. Even if Texas ponies up $1.2 million, that’s still a pay cut for Mike.

“Third, would Mike Yurcich like to call plays? Sure, we all would. But when is the last time somebody ran on to a sinking ship? Texas was 7-5 this year and if they do that again in 2020 Herman and his whole staff will be blown out of there, including Yurcich. I’m not buying this.

“Fourth, I just think this is Tom Herman and Brett McMurphy trying to stir (stuff) up for Ohio State during playoff week. It would not be the first time, right?

“Fifth, Yurcich would be coaching the top returning vote getter for the Heisman Trophy and the early line favorite to win it in Justin Fields, right? You parlay that success in 2020 into a head coaching job in 2021, not some possible stepping stone job at a failing Texas program, right?

“I’m calling (shenanigans) on this one. Herman may want to talk to Yurcich. But none of it makes sense.”

OK, we believe you. We know Yurcich isn’t worried about any of that this week. It’s full speed ahead on Clemson

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

This is a list of reasons why he might not take the job - but nothing in here says the story is bullshit.

Also - USAToday coach's salaries database says that Yurcich max bonus is 363k - so their math is wrong.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Lolol here are a bunch of reasons why he wouldn’t leave but nothing concrete to prove he hasn’t talked to Herm.  Way to go tOSU FCB 

Edited by BurntOrangeBlooded15
Damn it Hiphop
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If the Yurcich story is ALL bullshit then why hasn't he come out and said "I am not leaving OSU and love it here and plan to be here for a long time". It's kinda easy to set the record straight.

Because when your name is floated for a Texas job and your employer wants to keep you then you go ask for a raise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’m not sure I want UT to hire this Yurchic guy if he’s a jerk like people are saying. Most top tier football coaches are really nice guys and that’s why they are successful. If you’ve ever met or played for a really successful big time college football coach you know that the coach is there to educate and nurture young men, not for money and power and an insatiable need to always win at everything no matter the cost. 

I'm sure that whole thing is just a character smear.  He would never have made it to this level unless he's the kind of totally great guy others universally aspire to be.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

What do we actually know about how the players on defense feel about Chris Ash? Because if that was overblown Surlyish hype, then I might start drinking kool aid early next off-season. I like the possibility of a Yurcich hire much more than I hated the Ash hire.

From the IT Scoop

Spoiler

CHRIS ASH

We've heard some players aren't exactly thrilled with the Chris Ash hire. After doing some research on the players' level of interaction with Ash, we don't feel that apprehension is merited.

Ash finally met with the players over the weekend and we heard that introduction was pretty well received. The players are excited for the shift in scheme. He made it clear he wants the defensive looks to be simplified. He wants to out-athlete other teams with discipline, and sound alignments/assignments.

We've heard it's possible one or both of DeMarvion Overshown and BJ Foster will move to linebacker. Ash feels like the roster is filled with safeties and he can afford to make these moves. Numerous team sources have been skeptical over Overshown being able to play linebacker while nearly everyone thinks the closer BJ Foster is to the line of scrimmage the better.

While we heard some positives, there are still some negatives with some players threatening to transfer. I don't think it's beneficial to do a full rehash, but from October 25th:

At all costs Tom Herman has to restore a sense of meritocracy and accountability. It's the only way to consistently navigate 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' personnel decisions. If you're playing someone who is performing poorly the least of your concerns are the hundred-thousand fans and the hundred thousand thousandaires in attendance. Your biggest problem is the 100 people in your charge who see someone else should be getting those reps.

You'd think we're dealing with a 2-5 team.

There is a player or two threatening transfer if they don't get their way. Herman is going to let Ash run the defense the way he sees fit and if some players transfer, so be it. This is absolutely the right call as meritocracy needs to be restored. If a talented player transfers you can assume he didn't want to compete.

We've been tough on the coaches but in this regard they're in the right and some players are in the wrong. It's going to be a spirited spring as Ash restores competition across the board.

• Like 5

Also - Wells with some board follow-up that a Kenyatta Watson transfer is not expected, at least by IT. Additionally, the rumored "unhappy players" are probably starters that don't want to compete for their jobs. That sounds like linebacker to me, though it doesn't sound like Wells knows who it is either.

From the IT Scoop
Spoiler

CHRIS ASH
We've heard some players aren't exactly thrilled with the Chris Ash hire. After doing some research on the players' level of interaction with Ash, we don't feel that apprehension is merited.
Ash finally met with the players over the weekend and we heard that introduction was pretty well received. The players are excited for the shift in scheme. He made it clear he wants the defensive looks to be simplified. He wants to out-athlete other teams with discipline, and sound alignments/assignments.
We've heard it's possible one or both of DeMarvion Overshown and BJ Foster will move to linebacker. Ash feels like the roster is filled with safeties and he can afford to make these moves. Numerous team sources have been skeptical over Overshown being able to play linebacker while nearly everyone thinks the closer BJ Foster is to the line of scrimmage the better.
While we heard some positives, there are still some negatives with some players threatening to transfer. I don't think it's beneficial to do a full rehash, but from October 25th:
At all costs Tom Herman has to restore a sense of meritocracy and accountability. It's the only way to consistently navigate 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' personnel decisions. If you're playing someone who is performing poorly the least of your concerns are the hundred-thousand fans and the hundred thousand thousandaires in attendance. Your biggest problem is the 100 people in your charge who see someone else should be getting those reps.

You'd think we're dealing with a 2-5 team.
There is a player or two threatening transfer if they don't get their way. Herman is going to let Ash run the defense the way he sees fit and if some players transfer, so be it. This is absolutely the right call as meritocracy needs to be restored. If a talented player transfers you can assume he didn't want to compete.
We've been tough on the coaches but in this regard they're in the right and some players are in the wrong. It's going to be a spirited spring as Ash restores competition across the board.

Good stuff. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Agreed. Offense has no excuses. Defense will not have the injuries and all they have to do is not run exotic blitzes to nowhere to have significant improvement. I’d much rather be DC than OC in this situation, particularly since Herman won’t meddle there.

D is a bit mixed to me as well.  Fixing the "here comes a delayed jailbreak" on 3rd and 23 does go a long way toward the fix.  But there also needs to be some work on positioning, tackling, coverage assignments, and just plain how to play DB.

27 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If the Yurcich story is ALL bullshit then why hasn't he come out and said "I am not leaving OSU and love it here and plan to be here for a long time". It's kinda easy to set the record straight.

Because that is like confirming he is gone. Only time we know they are not coming is when they say they are not interested in Texas job. Once you state you are not interested in Texas by name you are done as a candidate.

36 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Fourth, I just think this is Tom Herman and Brett McMurphy trying to stir (stuff) up for Ohio State during playoff week. It would not be the first time, right?

Yeah...this definitely seems like the most likely explanation of the rumors. Dear god what a dumb comment. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

So something a competent DC and D position coaches would coach anyway?  Yeah, we’re fine. Addition by subtraction. I think a lot of guys get obsessed with their scheme and how to run their way of doing things that they forget the basics. The basics with our athletes will work 75% of the time. 

Yeah, but something that might take longer to fix than just "don't call the blitz."

Herman is going to let Ash run the defense the way he sees fit and if some players transfer, so be it. This is absolutely the right call as meritocracy needs to be restored. If a talented player transfers you can assume he didn't want to compete.

This is not true. If everyone of your teammates is telling you that you are better than the guy that is playing and you know the coaches are not giving you a fair shot then that has nothing to do with not wanting to compete.

We've heard some players aren't exactly thrilled with the Chris Ash hire. After doing some research on the players' level of interaction with Ash, we don't feel that apprehension is merited. Ash finally met with the players over the weekend and we heard that introduction was pretty well received.

This means nothing because all new relationships have a honeymoon period. Mid season next year is when we will know if it is working.

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

This is not true. If everyone of your teammates is telling you that you are better than the guy that is playing and you know the coaches are not giving you a fair shot then that has nothing to do with not wanting to compete.

The point in context was to say that in the past, this may have been the case. Moving forward, meritocracy should be restored.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So basically, if we offer him $1.5MM and play-calling duties, this guy's entire rant is pointless?

You missed it - if Yurcich will just be patient and wait his turn - Kevin Wilson will eventually get another Head Coaching position and Yurcich will move up a slot in the offensive coaching hierarchy.  And then if he waits a little bit longer after that Day may eventually give up play calling.  He just needs to be patient and stop being selfish.  

Also - Wells with some board follow-up that a Kenyatta Watson transfer is not expected, at least by IT. Additionally, the rumored "unhappy players" are probably starters that don't want to compete for their jobs. That sounds like linebacker to me, though it doesn't sound like Wells knows who it is either.

It’s Overshown.

46 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’m not sure I want UT to hire this Yurchic guy if he’s a jerk like people are saying. Most top tier football coaches are really nice guys and that’s why they are successful. If you’ve ever met or played for a really successful big time college football coach you know that the coach is there to educate and nurture young men, not for money and power and an insatiable need to always win at everything no matter the cost. 

Nick Saban thinks you’re adorable 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

“Starters that don’t want to compete for their jobs” is hogwash.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

“Starters that don’t want to compete for their jobs” is hogwash.

It might not be, though. Especially if guys are changing positions and may be tweeners in a new alignment. Think DL/LB and new expectations of DBs. I'm purposely using this example because it's unlikely to be the actual case, but if TQ was asked to slide into a 3tech, I wouldn't fault the kid for being angry he has to compete with existing tackles for a starting job

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Sounds like Ayodele Adeoye.