2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

through sheer brute force, yes, not through creativity

We were a play away from getting to the big dance with Simms and were in it with McCoy.  Your memory of our offense sucks. Furthermore people like to suck Harsin's dick around here while others of us think the dude was overrated.  

• Fuck You 3

Holy shit. Greg Davis apologists in the wild, still alive. Thought they were extinct by now.

Guess that's what happens after a half decade of Shawn Watson and Tim Beck.

Kinda like dating in the engineering department... after a while, anything starts to look good to ya.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 7

"Did we do anything that creative and awesome before Harsin arrived?"

January 1, 1982  - Cotton Bowl- QB draw for the first score against Alabama - creative in the sense that Brewer was tired of running from the 'bama blitz, so he called timeout, came to the sideline and demanded a decent play. boom 30 yard TD. 

GD years - One year GD had us come out in 5 wide against OU.  Totally confused them, because we hadn't shown that formation all year.  OU adjusted somewhat in the 2nd half, but I am pretty sure we won.  Don't have a clue who was QB.  

4 hours ago, RollLeft said:

We were a play away from getting to the big dance with Simms and were in it with McCoy.  Your memory of our offense sucks. Furthermore people like to suck Harsin's dick around here while others of us think the dude was overrated.  

Most who think harsin was overrated are either related to Greg, mack, sally or echeese.  

• Like 2

Furthermore people like to suck Harsin's dick around here while others of us think the dude was overrated.  

I've always liked Harsin, but damn if Jimmy Lake didn't destroy his offense in that bowl.

We didn't have a chance at Lake with Petersen leaving, but with what he has consistently done to Leach's offense and then watching that against Boise, I sure hope we send Ash up there for a talk. Man knows defense

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I've always liked Harsin, but damn if Jimmy Lake didn't destroy his offense in that bowl.

We didn't have a chance at Lake with Petersen leaving, but with what he has consistently done to Leach's offense and then watching that against Boise, I sure hope we send Ash up there for a talk. Man knows defense

Yea.  Weren’t they starting a third string qb?

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:
Yea.  Weren’t they starting a third string qb?

Were they? Honestly didn't follow anything about the game other than the score. That would change perception, then.

Honestly I didn’t watch either.   But Lake is a beast.  Regularly shuts Leach down

What are the chances nobody worth a flip will come here, the Y. guy using us as leverage for a pay raise, and we have to settle for Major? 
How stupid is this program gonna look if we announce Major in February? 

Flip? Go back to texags.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What I wanna know is who are all these creative OCs that are just winning by being creative. Most football I see is teams doing what they do.

I do see some OCs are better at deciding which of their usual plays well likely work better or best at the time.

I wasn't a fan of Harsins slow developing plays that seemed to generate negative yards (the 'creative' stuff) but I was ok with his general plays of the game (normal misdirection and play action stuff)

12 minutes ago, Snacks said:

What I wanna know is who are all these creative OCs that are just winning by being creative. Most football I see is teams doing what they do.

I do see some OCs are better at deciding which of their usual plays well likely work better or best at the time.

I wasn't a fan of Harsins slow developing plays that seemed to generate negative yards (the 'creative' stuff) but I was ok with his general plays of the game (normal misdirection and play action stuff)

Execution is always more important than drawing up creative plays and schemes. 

• Like 1

Execution is always more important than drawing up creative plays and schemes. 

Absolutely, that's about 90%+ of it. But there will be times where a team is keyed in on what you do well, and to be able to find ways to expose that on the fly is where that type of creativity comes into play.

But of course, just give me a coach with a good scheme and who can navigate the fuck out of it, and I'll take that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

GDGD was basically a .500 OC with anybody other than Mack. He was complete shit as HC at Tulane. Greg's success with Mack was predicated on his doing whatever Mack told him to do, no questions and no fucking around. When it worked, Mack got the credit, and when it failed, GDGD took the blame. It went pretty well until Mack quit recruiting players who didn't commit immediately upon being offered (as Juniors in HS) and only offered players who were ballyhooed by the same sorts of morons we see today babbling drivel as 9.95ers and presstitutes unable to transition to digital publishing.

GDGD is probably an okay guy off the field (other than the animal cracker crumbs), and I wouldn't totally discount any advice he might offer without at least considering such advice... but have him control an integral part in the football machine? I think not.

39 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I look at offensive play calling a lot like boxing.  Most of it is left jabs with a few right crosses mixed in.  Once you lull them to sleep with the rythym of those, you bite their ear off.

Maybe I don't know boxing so well, but you get the point.  Do what you do, but land the surprise at the right time. Rythym is everything 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Good scheme and proper execution will always win out over "creativity."  A lot of times the creativity becomes too complex, and your offensive players are thinking too much which slows them down.  

7 minutes ago, jinx said:

I look at offensive play calling a lot like boxing.  Most of it is left jabs with a few right crosses mixed in.  Once you lull them to sleep with the rythym of those, you bite their ear off.

Maybe I don't know boxing so well, but you get the point.  Do what you do, but land the surprise at the right time. Rythym is everything 

Fair point.  But I like ous style. When you play them, you’re always on your heels.  They can score from anywhere in any amount of time.  

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Fair point.  But I like ous style. When you play them, you’re always on your heels.  They can score from anywhere in any amount of time.  

They just use the Tyson method of throwing haymakers coming out of the corner.  It works against most, but not against the other true heavy weights typically.  

• Like 1

Harsin at least had an actual system, not just a bunch of random plays (aka GD). The weakness of his time at Texas, if memory serves, was that he subbed personnel every play, such that formation and personnel sometimes tipped plays. 

In other words, I don’t have any updates on a new OC either. 

Edited by Llewelyn Moss
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, jinx said:

My favorite offensive play callers are a lot more like greco-roman wrestling, where it's a constant search for leverage, and people who don't understand what they are looking at are kind of bored by it.

But we're not going to run the triple option, so my favorites are right off the table from the get go. I'll take the boxer biting somebody's ear off, and I'll be happy with it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Whistler said:

we were hot to jump on the ZR bandwagon iirc

flex te was pretty unique at the time

Shipley vs OU adjustment to take advantage of their hurt LB

special teams

some of the jumbo packages

Came to post this. VY basically blew up the zone read. 

And a lot of the stick, blitz hot read te stuff with David Thomas is what the nfl is doing tons of now. 

Not like we invented those things but it sure was a little different.

12 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

I know a couple big plays were made on Owens but that dude was in really good position on those plays. If remember correctly he was just inches from making a great plays on the ball. With good coaching and more experience, I believe he can be very special.

The real crime on those plays was leaving true freshman Owens starting his first game on an island against the fastest player on their team in critical situations. I don't blame Owens one bit for those plays. that was 100% on Orlando for not adjusting his scheme when we were down so many players. To your point, he was still right there running with a kid half his size.  

• Like 1

Just now, Vertigo said:

The real crime on those plays was leaving true freshman Owens starting his first game on an island against the fastest player on their team in critical situations. I don't blame Owens one bit for those plays. that was 100% on Orlando for not adjusting his scheme when we were down so many players. To your point, he was still right there running with a kid half his size.  

Yep. A couple of times, plays were made against him that were only made against him because he was a freshman seeing his first action. That kid has a future.

I can’t understand anyone lamenting Overshown transferring, if that happens. Yeah, he hits like a ton of bricks and shows plenty of talent. He also cannot handle being dinged up. He’s made of glass and that will always be the case. He should stay and see what’s in store, but fuck him if he checks out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Yep. A couple of times, plays were made against him that were only made against him because he was a freshman seeing his first action. That kid has a future.

They said the same thing about me and look at me now: I'm a middle aged guy sitting on my ass complaining to a bunch of retards about schemes and potato coaches.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

I've asked a couple of times. No answers. It'll continue to be repeated, though.

You keep posting shit like this and it’s as fucking dense as your recruiting takes. Are you requiring or expecting interviews from players to come out in which they state that they do not like Ash by name? If not, what are you expecting? Continually espousing the premise that “nobody knows shit and this is all bulletin board bullshit” is fine for something like the coaching searches. Stating that regarding sentiments of recruits and players, when it is a given fucking fact that the $9.95ers actually do talk to those people and then pass on their thoughts is your own personal idiocy and the board doesn’t need to be constantly peppered with it. 

This is one of those guys that originally showed up to the recruiting board demanding sources as though he has a right, and then claimed that nobody knew shit until it was repeatedly obvious that some did. This is a continuation of that same stupid logic. Not everyone is totally disconnected in every way to the UT organization, dumbfuck. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You keep posting shit like this and it’s as fucking dense as your recruiting takes. Are you requiring or expecting interviews from players to come out in which they state that they do not like Ash by name? If not, what are you expecting? Continually espousing the premise that “nobody knows shit and this is all bulletin board bullshit” is fine for something like the coaching searches. Stating that regarding sentiments of recruits and players, when it is a given fucking fact that the $9.95ers actually do talk to those people and then pass on their thoughts is your own personal idiocy and the board doesn’t need to be constantly peppered with it. 

This is one of those guys that originally showed up to the recruiting board demanding sources as though he has a right, and then claimed that nobody knew shit until it was repeatedly obvious that some did. This is a continuation of that same stupid logic. Not everyone is totally disconnected in every way to the UT organization, dumbfuck. 

I don't need sources, or this whole got damned novella of guilty conscienced drivel, I just want to know what the fuck people are talking about before I entertain it much further, and consider bringing it up in discussions I have with others.

It shouldn't bother you this bad.

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

If he doesn't hit you with the reply he should, this whole thread is a waste.

Look peak depression on this thread was early November when you should have realized this shit show was coming while simultaneously realizing that the net result of it won’t fucking matter.

this is the exciting part, where we ignore the reality of the situation (Tom Herman is a fucking fraud) and pretend like we’re putting the final pieces in place to make a playoff run (see: @Walden Ponderer). 

2020 team is going to have a whole new attitude, gentlemen.

• Like 2