2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

I don't give a shit who he hires now.  If it's Major it's just another confirmation that it's bros before best qualified for the position.  Again.  So put me in the camp to give Herman whatever he wants and then this time next year CDC will bring in his own head coach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Herman and his staff came dangerously close to losing the locker room last year. So yeah, I wanted Herman to go outside his circle and hire someone that would be able to help assuage the significant interpersonal issues that are everywhere in our program right now.   Instead we got Ash, whose history as it pertains to player relationships is questionable. His past with Herman makes me skeptical that he will ever take the side of the players.  I have other concerns too, but I wanted to explain why I don't like the comfort hire aspect specifically. 

Building an assistant staff that players trust and improves their skills is critical for this Texas team to improve in 2020.  It would be nice to add a few more assistants that have NFL experience to this Longhorn staff.

I share your concerns that current players might not trust Ash a lot yet,  since Ash is perceived as such an inner-circle Herman guy.

Btw:  Powdered eggs and burnt toast needs to discontinued by dumbass Mensa!!

18 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

gotcha. out of curiosity, what are some of those names? and given the target list, how would you rate herman's ability (and the likelihood) to get one of those targets (especially in light of the hypothetical whiff on Harrell)?

Kalen DeBoer would be at the top of my list.  Everything I've read about him makes him seem like a great hire.  He was thought to be a top candidate at Fresno ST at one point - but not sure if that's still true.

Kevin Wilson would be a great hire.

As opposed to many on this site - I like Lashlee as OC quite a bit.  He's successfully married Dyke's air raid with Malzahn's power spread at SMU.

If it ends up being Major - Herman can go ahead and pack his shit up and leave. 

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

If it ends up being Major - Herman can go ahead and pack his shit up and leave. 

If it's Major, and CDC doesn't just burn the whole thing down at that point, then I'm compiling a list of all the places I want to go camping next Fall, because staying home and watching football will be right off my to-do list.

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

See, I'm going to disagree with you here on a fundamental point: A good offensive scheme adapts to the abilities of the players running it, not the other way around.

That's the tail wagging the dog.

If the problem with the offense is that we don't have the right QB for it, then that's a flaw with the scheme itself, and it doesn't matter who's calling the plays.

We're just going to disagree then. 

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Kalen DeBoer would be at the top of my list.  Everything I've read about him makes him seem like a great hire.  He was thought to be a top candidate at Fresno ST at one point - but not sure if that's still true.

Kevin Wilson would be a great hire.

I like both of these guys because of their experience. They've had a lot of different rosters and probably had to figure out a lot of different ways to score points.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'd need to be an actual mind-reader to buy this, because running interference for a subordinate absolutely does not mean you don't hate their guts. It only means you have some sort of motivation to run interference for them. I've been on both ends of this (having interference run for me by a boss who hated my guts, and running interference for a subordinate, who I foisted off on another department at the first opportunity I got), so I'm not buying that CDC has anything to do with the short-term optics on this whole deal. He may still turn out to be a fuckhead, for all I know, but this isn't proof of it.

Yep. There's a few reasons to defend Herman right now as the AD:

- Firing him (and immediately after getting him an extension) has the kind of optics that can potentially keep you from hiring a good coach as his successor

- The buyout next year is cheaper

- Giving Herman free rein to hire who he wants to, with a blank check, is called "giving him enough rope to hang himself." If you can't hire better, or can't get out of the way of your hires, the problem is you.

• Like 1

Is the issue more that Herman wants to continue to run a Power Spread offense and doesn’t want to hire an “Air Raid” guy, or more that he wants to be involved in game planning? If it’s the latter that’s a huge issue. He needs to focus on program management and ALL facets of the program and game planning. It’s reasonable to have reservations about changing systems once you’ve been recruiting for a specific system. But he shouldn’t be putting himself in a position where he’s only focusing on offensive game planning and execution at the detriment of defense, special teams, locker room stuff, game management, etc.

17 minutes ago, deech said:

I don't give a shit who he hires now.  If it's Major it's just another confirmation that it's bros before best qualified for the position.  Again.  So put me in the camp to give Herman whatever he wants and then this time next year CDC will bring in his own head coach.

"Bros 'N' Hoes"  -- Mensa & Opie (Prestige Worldwide)

39 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Is the issue more that Herman wants to continue to run a Power Spread offense and doesn’t want to hire an “Air Raid” guy, or more that he wants to be involved in game planning? If it’s the latter that’s a huge issue. He needs to focus on program management and ALL facets of the program and game planning. It’s reasonable to have reservations about changing systems once you’ve been recruiting for a specific system. But he shouldn’t be putting himself in a position where he’s only focusing on offensive game planning and execution at the detriment of defense, special teams, locker room stuff, game management, etc.

This is what I'm curious about too. I do deeply dislike having your avatar on my screen, though.

No news yet on Pedo State or Notre Dame vacant OC jobs....

Notre Dame: Following the departure of offensive coordinator Chip Long from the program, running backs coach Lance Taylor will take charge of the ground game while quarterbacks coach Tommy Rees has assumed responsibility for the passing game for their bowl game against Iowa State, per Irish Sports Daily. Kelly adds in the article that his search for the best fit to replace long will continue with internal and external candidates and that he has no plans to call offensive plays.

Article on Pedo State possible candidates...

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2019/12/10/21004240/penn-state-nittnay-lions-football-offensive-coordinator-big-board-kirk-ciarrocca-joe-brady-bsd

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

No news yet on Pedo State or Notre Dame vacant OC jobs....

Notre Dame: Following the departure of offensive coordinator Chip Long from the program, running backs coach Lance Taylor will take charge of the ground game while quarterbacks coach Tommy Rees has assumed responsibility for the passing game for their bowl game against Iowa State, per Irish Sports Daily. Kelly adds in the article that his search for the best fit to replace long will continue with internal and external candidates and that he has no plans to call offensive plays.

Article on Pedo State possible candidates...

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2019/12/10/21004240/penn-state-nittnay-lions-football-offensive-coordinator-big-board-kirk-ciarrocca-joe-brady-bsd

This article discussing Penn State OC possibilities mentions someone that was talked about as a possible hire instead of Tim Beck when Herman was putting his intial staff together - Phil Longo, currently OC at UNC.  Longo spent 3 incredibly successful years as the OC at Sam Houston St before moving on to Mississippi and then UNC.

He is a talented OC and a great play caller.  I don't know if Herman would try to poach from Mack - but I hope Longo would at least get a call.

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This article discussing Penn State OC possibilities mentions someone that was talked about as a possible hire instead of Tim Beck when Herman was putting his intial staff together - Phil Longo, currently OC at UNC.  Longo spent 3 incredibly successful years as the OC at Sam Houston St before moving on to Mississippi and then UNC.

He is a talented OC and a great play caller.  I don't know if Herman would try to poach from Mack - but I hope Longo would at least get a call.

I think you just answered your own question before you asked it, bud. 

Big fan of Longo. 

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He ate bad teams alive at Ole Miss, but always fizzled out badly against the good ones, and that was with Ta'amu throwing to Brown and Metcalf. Obviously the OL wasn't world-beating except Greg Little, but it was still disappointing.

4 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

My biggest gripe with Brandon Jones. He always goes for a shoulder hit and I can’t remember ever seeing him try to wrap up. Unfortunately that should cost him a couple rounds.

It probably won't though. Vaccaro did the same shit and got drafted in the first. I think the NFL coaches realize what terrible coaching our guys have gotten, particularly on the defensive side, for the last decade. And know they can be coached up to play well above the level they did at Texas.

Edited by BradInATX

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'd be fine with any of Brady, Harrell, Yurcich, DeBoer, Lashlee, or Longo 

Lashlee interests me, don't understand why he's catching so much shit here (do and don't). Figured this board would be all over someone who took Tom and Tim's leftovers and got 43 ppg out of him. 

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Lashlee interests me, don't understand why he's catching so much shit here (do and don't). Figured this board would be all over someone who took Tom and Tim's leftovers and got 43 ppg out of him. 

I've liked Lashlee since his time at Auburn.  I think he was collateral damage there.  He seemed like a good play caller, and IMO that is the biggest thing missing from the offense.  That and a good TE.

Just now, jinx said:

I've liked Lashlee since his time at Auburn.  I think he was collateral damage there.  He seemed like a good play caller, and IMO that is the biggest thing missing from the offense.  That and a good TE.

Yah, but he's a comfort hire because him and Tom coached together at *looks over their coaching histories* uhmmm nowhere but still, comfort hire.org

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, but he's a comfort hire because him and Tom coached together at *looks over their coaching histories* uhmmm nowhere but still, comfort hire.org

I mean, what is your point here? Are you attempting to illustrate that Tom Herman does not, in fact, have a history of making comfort hires with his Bros? Is that the position you're taking?  A simple Yes or No will do. 

The comfort with a Lashlee hire would be the fact that he doesn't have to alter his system greatly, or his practice habits, or contractually cede complete control to someone like, lets say, Graham Harrell. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Come on. How much of a freak is ward and king?

I watched a fair number of those UH games and it reminded me of watching Louisville with Teddy B under the guidance of Shawn Watson. Mainly a crap offense with one exceptional player making it go. Usually off schedule. 

Obviously everyone has to do that a bit, but the eyeball test told me that UH was overly reliant on it. It’s not like OU where Riley dials up good stuff all the time, Hurts can’t read a defense and has to ad lib his way to success. It was ad lib or punt quite a bit of the time. 

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I think we could do worse than Lashlee but there is the appearance he failed at P5 level.  his knowledge of Malzhan's offense might be a good marriage with Herman.

14 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

His results at Auburn were often tepid with Malzahn reclaiming playcalling duties more than once, and Dykes has a long history of good offense. They’re meshing the two very well, but I’d like to see Lashlee do it without a superior offensive mind providing him with training wheels. 

17 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Figured this board would be all over someone who took Tom and Tim's leftovers and got 43 ppg out of him. 

We would indeed be all over Sonny Dykes, but he's not on the market right now. Dykes' QB coaching (he did it with Nick Foles and Jared Goff before) is the key to that offensive turnaround.

Edited by satyanash

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

The comfort with a Lashlee hire would be the fact that he doesn't have to alter his system greatly, or his practice habits, or contractually cede complete control to someone like, lets say, Graham Harrell. 

Now, for the other part...

I guess I can see that being "comfort".