2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

The most important things we need are better position coaches and an offensive playcaller who isn't blinded by their own ego / implicit orders to caretake Tom's, in that order.  The former is very achievable.  The latter is to be hoped for but not counted on.   We don't need sweeping changes in grand strategy or anything like that.  Though I do welcome a four-man front out of sheer personal prejudices that have nothing to do with winning football games; 3-4 variants are aggy; we're Texas, we play four down.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, anacardo said:

The most important things we need are better position coaches and an offensive playcaller who isn't blinded by their own ego / implicit orders to caretake Tom's, in that order.  The former is very achievable.  The latter is to be hoped for but not counted on.   We don't need sweeping changes in grand strategy or anything like that.  Though I do welcome a four-man front out of sheer personal prejudices that have nothing to do with winning football games; 3-4 variants are aggy; we're Texas, we play four down.  

That is a bad take and you should feel bad.

9 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I'd just like to see defensive players finish tackles. Hasn't happened much the last decade. Is it the kids we are recruiting? Coaching? Our culture? A giant s%$^ stew of all of this? 

Mainly scheme. Open field tackling is a bitch when guys are running full speed and you are at a complete stop. However, coaching and culture for the kill shot, poor fundamentals and players out of position have a roll as well.

9 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I can’t even believe that tweet mentions fundamentals and technique like it is some sort of negative lol

How horrible Winning with fundamentals and technique. When you have the best athletes and they look slow and lost maybe it’s time to go back to that. 

36 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Technique, Fundamentals and a simple scheme would have won us 3-4 more games this year. 

If we were sound with this we would have beat LSU, ISU and OU.  I think Baylor would have been closer but that game was on the offense.  I have read comments and spoken with some friends close to OSU and they all love Ash.  They said he preaches fundamentals.  I think we will see a better disciplined team that actually wraps up and tackles.  It’s a novel concept but it actually works.

• Like 1

We had two issues last year, one was the tackling and one was a defensive coordinator who is unwilling to face the realities of playing in the Big 12. Blitzes and coverages that work against less aggressive offenses just don’t work unless you’re insanely overloaded with talent, which we are not.

From everything I’ve read Ash will solve the first problem. But tackling slot receivers after they’ve already made the first down 19 or 20 times in the same game because you are unwilling to play the type of defense required to win in this conference is a whole other matter.

There are more than enough things to worry about regarding Ash without stupidly denigrating his basic philosophy. 

He has a horrific history as a leader and administrator, apparently lacks the charisma of moldy cauliflower,  and for some reason thought Drew Mehringer, who can't even hack it as a position coach, could be an offensive coordinator.

But sure, let's rag on the guy for emphasizing tackling as the most essential component of sound defense.

2 minutes ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

Poor tackling is going to be the downfall of football in America. 

Why, does it lead to increased social media use?

(You know, this joke would work better in a vacuum. So it's a good thing we've sucked as a program for so long.)

Edited by Walden Ponderer

16 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Right? Which makes it even more crazy. Offenses have caught up. It's not just the Big 12 anymore, and the Big 12 isn't the same air-raid it once was. 

But lazy “journalists” and commentators gotta say something.  Next you’re going to tell me the SEC isn’t top-to-bottom so much tougher that it’s basically a different sport. 

11 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I ran the number real quick the other day without writing anything down, but I think the Big 12 averaged about 1-2 more points per game than the SEC. 

That's what I thought.  If the secsecsec offenses are lame, doesn't sound like B12 defenses are that bad if they only give up 1-2 more points a game.  That's assuming B12 offenses are super-charged as some have suggested. A tackle here and there might fix that.    I will trade this entire recruiting class, yes, all of them, for 2-3 star athletes and a staff that will have them well coached and well prepared week after week.  We are getting our heads handed to us by 2-3 star recruits that are well coached and well prepared.  Fundamentals have NEVER stopped winning football games.  Coaches just stopped teaching them, or demanding them.  If Ash can get this defense to put pressure on the QB, cover receivers, and TACKLE, we will be just fine.  Defense doesn't win championships, but it keeps you in the game till the offense decides to stop fiddle-fuckin around.  

Herman?  He had all of these issues you guys are bitchin about at UH.  But he beat OU.  Looks like that UH win over OU is gonna cost The University of Texas 4 years and $30-40 million. 

Neg away!!!!!!

• Fuck You 1

Are we positive Tom Herman knows these things.

You get 4 Quarters to win the game. When you are behind at the end of regulation you are the loser of said contest. 
Your team has a better chance of winning when your offense has scored more points than the opponent. 
Never hire a friend unless your friend has accomplished more than you have.

And lastly, Tom you need to live by this creed, “There is no Tomorrow”  that was once said by one of the greatest boxers of all time, and still so fitting today. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

What do you expect from a guy named Wescott Eberts? 

4 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

What even is a wescott eberts?

Someone spelt "Waistcoat" incorrectly. At least the phonetic pronunciation's fairly close.

You would think that if your mama named you after an article of clothing - which she didn't even know how to spell - that would provide some incentive to give yourself a cool nickname, like Butch, Moose... sumpin' like that.

EDIT: Mighta spelt "Bitch" wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Any guesses as to why they’re delaying the Chris Ash announcement? I assume a contract hasn’t been signed? If so, why not?

If we are guessing, it could be because they want to announce both hires at the same time or they haven't made the decision yet to hire Chris Ash.

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Any guesses as to why they’re delaying the Chris Ash announcement? I assume a contract hasn’t been signed? If so, why not?

Few Guesses: 

1. Contracts have dates where certain amounts are paid.  Maybe Ash wants to sign later based on Rutgers compensation schedule?
  2. Recruiting -- may be better to allow Carrington to stay in a coaching slot till Feb 5th, so Ash might be added to staff after the Alamo Bowl.
  3. Approval Schedule:  Probably easier to get the new hire approved by University after the the first of the year... (Doesn't seem time critical since Ash won't be coaching during the bowl game)
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I feel like it’s nothing more than Herman’s petty hard-on for keeping fans and media in the dark. Same reason he refuses to give a straight answer on who calls plays. He gets off on the “us vs. them” bunker mentality and controlling the narrative a la Mack.

2 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

I ran the number real quick the other day without writing anything down, but I think the Big 12 averaged about 1-2 more points per game than the SEC. 

Did you remove all the non-FBS school opponents from both conference schedules for your calculations. If you did not then they are invalid.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, CurlyDumps said:

I feel like it’s nothing more than Herman’s petty hard-on for keeping fans and media in the dark. Same reason he refuses to give a straight answer on who calls plays. He gets off on the “us vs. them” bunker mentality and controlling the narrative a la Mack.

Herman is done after 2021 but pretty much every coach, under the gun, goes to the bunker mentality.  Texas has always wanted to co-ordinate(no pun intended) splash announcements on new coaches since the Mack days. most programs do it this way now to try to get some buzz.  personally I don't think it matters but he isn't an outlier.

3 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Technique, Fundamentals and a simple scheme would have won us 3-4 more games this year. 

I was about to say. Nobody is expecting a Big 12 team to finish #1 in defense nationally but not filling youtube with embarrassing tackling hijinks every week would be nice.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Few Guesses: 

1. Contracts have dates where certain amounts are paid.  Maybe Ash wants to sign later based on Rutgers compensation schedule?
  2. Recruiting -- may be better to allow Carrington to stay in a coaching slot till Feb 5th, so Ash might be added to staff after the Alamo Bowl.
  3. Approval Schedule:  Probably easier to get the new hire approved by University after the the first of the year... (Doesn't seem time critical since Ash won't be coaching during the bowl game)

it's tough for me to swallow the notion that NOT bringing the guy onboard and getting in homes is better than the alternative. the recruitnik-centric belief was that we needed to make these announcements quickly and get them on the trail to calm fears and assuage concerns. i tend to agree with that approach, but perhaps everybody is so solid that it's not necessary.

that said, if Ash is the guy, don't you get the contract signed (the texas contract would take into account his rutger's contract it seems...) and put the spin machine to work and message this guy as the answer to all that ails us on defense?

as for #3, if hiring this guy is a top priority (and rumors of OSU looking to scoop him are true) then you call emergency meeting and get the contract approved STAT.

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

A short, shriveled, talking penis that only stirs when shaming Texas fans on Twitter.

58 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It’s actually a Wescott-Eberts, a procedure invented by reconstuctive urologists of the same name that separates the scrotum into two compartments to individually sequester each testicle.

Impressive back to back posts.

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

He has a horrific history as a leader and administrator, apparently lacks the charisma of moldy cauliflower,  and for some reason thought Drew Mehringer, who can't even hack it as a position coach, could be an offensive coordinator.

Huh. The Ohio State guy was very complementary about how he did at Ohio State. How is his history "horrific"? Did he kill 5 hookers while at SMU or something?

3 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

We are also seeing the prominent SEC teams modernize their offenses.  Bama and LSU this year are nothing like they were in 2012.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Wondering if filling out the staff is the issue

My guess is if money/location is not the issue it is always some combination of

Philosophy(base personnel, aggressiveness, recruiting)

OL coach

game calling/head coach input in pregame planning

In regards to the last point, GH knows a head coach is going to have overall final say authority.  It all depends on what he thinks will happen when shit inevitably hits the fan.   Beck was easily "alignable" as the guy was a very marginal OC.  He'd do anything to be the OC/playcaller at Texas for a million a year.

Now Tom has to go hat in hand saying my guy failed.  Harrell has been successful one year at USC but he has a coach on the hot seat that absolutely needs him and will likely leave him alone.  He holds all the cards.   

This is Tom Herman's first taste of real failure in his career.  sometimes is nice to have a guy who has been through a few wars so he has some perspective.

IMO, its likely going to be Lashlee.

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

My guess is if money/location is not the issue it is always some combination of

Philosophy(base personnel, aggressiveness, recruiting)

OL coach

game calling/head coach input in pregame planning

In regards to the last point, GH knows a head coach is going to have overall final say authority.  It all depends on what he thinks will happen when shit inevitably hits the fan.   Beck was easily "alignable" as the guy was a very marginal OC.  He'd do anything to be the OC/playcaller at Texas for a million a year.

Now Tom has to go hat in hand saying my guy failed.  Harrell has been successful one year at USC but he has a coach on the hot seat that absolutely needs him and will likely leave him alone.  He holds all the cards.   

This is Tom Herman's first taste of real failure in his career.  sometimes is nice to have a guy who has been through a few wars so he has some perspective.

IMO, its likely going to be Lashlee.

It’s looking more and more like graham won’t be the guy.   Lashlee, samples and were apparently considering their lb coach?   Don’t need smu south. 

I'm less concerned about the DC hire. Ash should be an improvement.

But it looks increasingly like the re-tooling on the offensive side will be nothing more than a change of the name of the guy running Tom's simplistic, out-dated offense. Basically Beck 2.0. I'm gonna be as excited for that as I was for Charlie year 3.