2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

6 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Ctj,

What would you say the expectations are for Herman next season?

Given that I’d heard they were going to run an actual process on filling out the staff and that has turned out to be flatly incorrect, I’m not sure you should take anything I relay on this right now seriously. 

The dude allegedly needs to bring in top 5 classes in 2020 and 2021, beat Utah, win the conference next year and be in contention for the playoffs. Short of that, he’s hated by everybody except his boss, who continues to run interference for him with the money. So fuck CDC too, I guess. 

Who fucking knows. This guy is doing whatever the fuck he wants irrespective of results and I half expect him to declare himself emperor emeritus of the program, weld himself inside the football offices and never relinquish his position until he’s forcibly removed by the jaw of life from the UT premises. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

Given that I’d heard they were going to run an actual process on filling out the staff and that has turned out to be flatly incorrect, I’m not sure you should take anything I relay on this right now seriously. 

The dude allegedly needs to bring in top 5 classes in 2020 and 2021, beat Utah, win the conference next year and be in contention for the playoffs. Short of that, he’s hated by everybody except his boss, who continues to run interference for him with the money. So fuck CDC too, I guess. 

Who fucking knows. This guy is doing whatever the fuck he wants irrespective of results and I half expect him to declare himself emperor emeritus of the program, weld himself inside the football offices and never relinquish his position until he’s forcibly removed by the jaw of life from the UT premises. 

So you're saying we have a chance?

• Haha 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

Somebody is basically flipping somebody off. Either it was Herman who was told by CDC to run a real hiring process but then just pretended to do so even though he knew he was going to hire Ash or else it was CDC who didn't require Herman to run a real process but told the major donors that it was going to happen.

More fun times ahead.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Somebody is basically flipping somebody off. Either it was Herman who was told by CDC to run a real hiring process but then just pretended to do so even though he knew he was going to hire Ash or else it was CDC who didn't require Herman to run a real process but told the major donors that it was going to happen.

More fun times ahead.

i'd bet (like $1) that the intention was to run a competent search but that pretty much out of the gate Herman realized anyone with a pulse was going to tell him to fly a kite, so here we are.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

More fun times ahead.

This. Such a shit show if true. Facepalm. Embarrassing. 

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i'd bet (like $1) that the intention was to run a competent search but that pretty much out of the gate Herman realized anyone with a pulse was going to tell him to fly a kite, so here we are.

Ash at DC is fine, upgrade.

OC and ST must now be fixed.

Edited by Goodman
  • Like 2

The cool part of all of this is no one else outside of us deranged fans in burnt orange give a flying fuck about any of this. I guess USC fans have some concerns, but my OU buddy didn't even realize we had fired Orlando etc until I mentioned it to him a week after.

I guess what I'm saying is we all have a problem.

Just now, MoJames said:

The cool part of all of this is no one else outside of us deranged fans in burnt orange give a flying fuck about any of this. I guess USC fans have some concerns, but my OU buddy didn't even realize we had fired Orlando etc until I mentioned it to him a week after.

You should slap that okie and say BULLSHIT. They hate to admit it but like aggie and all other regional schools, they know exactly what is going on here. 

1 minute ago, MoJames said:

Why would OU people give one shit about what we’re doing? We’re completely irrelevant to what they’re trying to achieve these days. 

Of course, I can think of some folks besides us fans that might care. Quentin Johnston seems to care. Ty Jordan. Albert Collins. Princely Umainlymanlymaniston, Josh Eaton, and on and on. Those guys seem like they could give a fuck, and not in a good way with the way this has been handled. 

• Like 1

I’ve had time to reflect on Herman potentially rejecting Harrell and Air Raid. I’m enraged.

This program has spent the last 19 years watching that OU offense run up and down the field putting up mountains of points, and we finally have the chance to do the same and we aren’t going to do it?

How many more data points does Mensa need? SMU, WSU, North Carolina, and countless other programs instantly got better because of that offense. Quit trying to overthink it you moron and hire someone with Air Raid experience.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Short of that, he’s hated by everybody except his boss, who continues to run interference for him with the money. So fuck CDC too, I guess. 

I'd need to be an actual mind-reader to buy this, because running interference for a subordinate absolutely does not mean you don't hate their guts. It only means you have some sort of motivation to run interference for them. I've been on both ends of this (having interference run for me by a boss who hated my guts, and running interference for a subordinate, who I foisted off on another department at the first opportunity I got), so I'm not buying that CDC has anything to do with the short-term optics on this whole deal. He may still turn out to be a fuckhead, for all I know, but this isn't proof of it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'd need to be an actual mind-reader to buy this, because running interference for a subordinate absolutely does not mean you don't hate their guts. It only means you have some sort of motivation to run interference for them. I've been on both ends of this (having interference run for me by a boss who hated my guts, and running interference for a subordinate, who I foisted off on another department at the first opportunity I got), so I'm not buying that CDC has anything to do with the short-term optics on this whole deal. He may still turn out to be a fuckhead, for all I know, but this isn't proof of it.

It was a throw away comment. I don’t have the energy to get worked up over anything CDC is doing, really. I need him to be worth a fuck at his job over the long haul, but that’s personal, I guess. I don’t feel about his judgment if he’s trying to buy Herman more time when the money is telling him they’ll fund this buyout with no problems, but whatever. 

2 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Quick question, did Dabo surround himself with his buddies?  I heard we are on the Dabo plan. 

Sort of.  The majority of Dabo's staff was made up of Clemson lifers the last time I took a close look at it.   Staff turnover up until this year was almost non-existent - I think thats the model Herman was trying to emulate (as opposed to Saban who isn't afraid to turnover his staff).

Just now, Thiefery said:

So it's pretty much gospel what Anwar said of Tom and his OC reasoning..which means no Harrell? Because I don't buy it until Harrell, USC announces the extension he signed.

Its gospel because so many on here want it to be true.  We don't trust Anwar to wipe his own ass - but we'll take it as gospel something that is unlikely to be known by anyone but Tom, Michelle, and the hooker they're snorting blow off of.

Until USC announces something - I have to believe Harrell is still an option.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Its gospel because so many on here want it to be true.  We don't trust Anwar to wipe his own ass - but we'll take it as gospel something that is unlikely to be known by anyone but Tom, Michelle, and the hooker they're snorting blow off of.

Until USC announces something - I have to believe Harrell is still an option.

And when Harrell is no longer an option will you to start to realize the gravity of the situation?

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
words

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Depends on who is actually named OC.  I certainly would love to see Harrell as OC - but he's not the only OC that could lead a very successful offense here at Texas. 

gotcha. out of curiosity, what are some of those names? and given the target list, how would you rate herman's ability (and the likelihood) to get one of those targets (especially in light of the hypothetical whiff on Harrell)?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

So it's pretty much gospel what Anwar said of Tom and his OC reasoning..which means no Harrell? Because I don't buy it until Harrell, USC announces the extension he signed.

It also lines up with everything we know about Herman's personality.   I don't know why I let myself be convinced he would be smart enough to give up total control of the offense to the best OC on the market and focus on being a head coach .  Nope, he's going to micromanage his shit show right into the ground.

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Depends on who is actually named OC.  I certainly would love to see Harrell as OC - but he's not the only OC that could lead a very successful offense here at Texas. 

Yeah, there are a lot of OCs I would like as much as Harrell, but we need Tom to give us a reason to believe. I wonder if the $9.95ers are pissed about Harrell because he would allow them more access to the programs.

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

Not really, fella. 

Play-calling within an offense is quite different from the offense itself, and can hinder an otherwise productive offense if executed poorly. 

I see a little further down the thread you make another attempt at words, but are wrong again. It's not that I'm defending Tom, because I'm actually saying it's his fault, whether he physically called plays or not, that the offense wasn't executed correctly. I'm simply defending the offense, because we've seen what it can do when executed properly, as recently as this year as a matter or fact. It just wasn't in Austin.

And it doesn't really help when you don't have the right QB running it. 

See, I'm going to disagree with you here on a fundamental point: A good offensive scheme adapts to the abilities of the players running it, not the other way around.

That's the tail wagging the dog.

If the problem with the offense is that we don't have the right QB for it, then that's a flaw with the scheme itself, and it doesn't matter who's calling the plays.