2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Borrowing this from Scipio Tex at Barking Carnival Bc it basically says pretty much what I believe without all the curse words:

“Herman has, thus far, demonstrated a very narrow hiring capacity limited to his small circle of coaching associates. That’s already backfired once. He won’t get another chance.”

fuck ya! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

This goes beyond Herman being an arrogant prick that wants to hire the closest guy next to him because he knows everything. CDC was fighting a real push to get rid of Herman right now. If we get an Ash/Long combo or something like it our AD can rightfully go fuck himself too. If things go as I think most here are predicting CDC should not be allowed to hire our next coach without adult supervision. 

What does it matter. Either it works, or in a year the entire staff is gone. You guys are really fighting a losing battle over a year.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He alleges some mad Madden skills, but I suspect you’re probably correct. There’s a shot that they’re the same person. I saw the guy twice this week and in both instances, I was half-waiting for him to pull his mask off to reveal that he was Todd Orlando. It would have made a lot of personal sense. 

So   Best-Moments-of-Deadpool-Comics-012-comm    IS rbb-Todd-Orlando-3-1.jpg

That explains a helluva lot...

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Wait, so you mean doing an exhaustive coaching search that includes in-depth interviewing to uncover a hidden gem like,  oh let's say... Matt Ruhle, would have been the proper thing to do? So hiring a football coach without a real athletic director in place and using the criteria "Does he have ties to Mack Brown?" and "Has the casual Texas fan heard of him?" was the wrong thing to do? 

Your ideal process got us Charlie Strong so.... it’s all bad.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I hope you guys are doomsday preppers like myself because if Lashlee is named the OC, we can safely deduce that ThermanNuclear War has been declared upon the program and it is high time to sprint down to the bunkers. 

If Herman tries to go to CDC and tell him the hires are Ash and Lashlee, then CDC better just fire him on the spot and move on. I’m sure he won’t, but he should.

Ash will almost definitely be an improvement over Orlando, and he’s not a clear failure before he even gets to campus like Watson and Beck (once we learned Herman was actually going to let Beck run the offense). 

The saddest things is both of those hires would likely represent an improvement while still being woefully short of the types of coordinator hires that should be made at UT. All that to say, it’s been a really shitty last 10 years. 

I could work myself up to being optimistic about next season if it’s Harrell and Ash, but the lack of even trying to do a real search for his DC and just hiring his buddy is just one more nail in the Herman as quality HC coffin. He needs to go after next year. Worst case scenario would be him waking out 9-3 and a bowl win and finding a way to pull this program down through 2021.

55 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

Im okay with Ash if it is a 4 down with true edge from d-line. You can only play qtrs if you have some stud olbs. They have to not only take away hook curl but also float to the flat and be involved in edge run as the alley runner.  Probably more of a 4-2-5. Now the OC is probably won't be announced until after NS1.

who are our stud OLBs exactly?

People better hope like hell that Foster can man the Nickel and Overshown can spin down to LB, because they can’t hold up at safety in this defense. 

We’re gonna need huge years from our 4 man front. Thankfully, a front with Ossai, Coburn, Ojomo, and whoever emerges at the other DE, he it Bimage or Jacoby Jones or someone else, could be pretty salty. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If Herman tries to go to CDC and tell him the hires are Ash and Lashlee, then CDC better just fire him on the spot and move on. I’m sure he won’t, but he should.

Ash will almost definitely be an improvement over Orlando, and he’s not a clear failure before he even gets to campus like Watson and Beck (once we learned Herman was actually going to let Beck run the offense). 

The saddest things is both of those hires would likely represent an improvement while still being woefully short of the types of coordinator hires that should be made at UT. All 

who are our stud OLBs exactly?

That was kind of my point. 4-3 against spread is problematic with what is asked of OLB and what we have on roster. 4-2-5 is a much easier fit with the nickel  being a more hybrid backer.

Can we just start calling Herman "Mack" now?

Sad as this is to say, that actually doesn't make sense in this case. The last two times Mack had to hire a dc, he did well in Muschamp and Diaz. Even if Diaz didn't do as well here, he was considered a "get" at the time.

Mack also had no prior relationship with either and they definitely weren't convenience or comfort hires. They were the definition of using the resources at your disposal to go get rising stars.

All that to say, referring to Herman as Mack in this instance is insulting to Mack.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Can you give me a mock 1st team defense - the 11 you would start in a presumed 4-2-5?

DTs: Coburn, Graham/Ojomo

DEs: Bimage, Jones, you probably spin Ossai down here too.

That will be something I watch for. If they keep Ossai at OLB that means the LB options are really shitty and we're in for a long year.

LBs: lol fuck. Probably rotate Dele/Mitchell at ILB. I know they liked Tillman before he got hurt, I'd think he and Gbenda have the inside track at OLB. Maybe Vaughns? I know he worked at B backer this year though, may be a DE guy.

I don't think DB personnel changes all that much. I'd hope Thompson gets the nod over Foster at NB. Foster just can't cover good receivers from the slot and is better suited for safety. I think the ultimate answer is shifting Ash's typical 4-3 into something that more resembles a big nickel with Overshown and/or Foster playing down as box safeties.