2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That considered, there is not a single thing to point to with this hire that points to the best guy out there getting the offer. There were no leaks on other names because there were no other interviews. Odom and Scalley were thrown out to look like work was being done. Not a single NFL staffer was researched. This has every hallmark of a sham hire by a fucking fraud of a HC. 

Yup.   And I know you don't think those tools at OB's have any sources but I figured this was a done deal as soon as Bianco or whomever told Fat Ketch to write an Ash puff piece like 10 days ago. I'm not going to say Ash will definitely suck, and hell, it can't get much worse, but I would have strongly preferred Odom.  This was definitely a sham 'search' from day 1.

I don't think Ash is necessarily a bad coach, but who on Earth would think he would be a good fit in today's Big 12?  This is going to be a big departure from the type of defense we've been running, so there could be an extended learning curve for the players, and it's a style of defense that may not be well suited to the Big 12 even if executed at a satisfactory level.  

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

Could be worse

In a vacuum? Maybe. But as another bolt tacked onto the last 10 years of irrelevance and multiple instances of shit coaches given blank checkbooks and choosing to shop at the fucking dollar store for dented cans of Vienna sausages,  well, it feels pretty fucking shitty and hopeless to me. 

This goes beyond Herman being an arrogant prick that wants to hire the closest guy next to him because he knows everything. CDC was fighting a real push to get rid of Herman right now. If we get an Ash/Long combo or something like it our AD can rightfully go fuck himself too. If things go as I think most here are predicting CDC should not be allowed to hire our next coach without adult supervision. 

• Like 1

Put me in the camp that this is a good hire. Not because it will help Herman turn this program into an elite program with him at the helm, but that it will help reveal the truth of Herman.  His ego and superiority made him think he could get through this year with no coaching changes. His ego and superiority makes him think hiring a friend as opposed to the best at the position will cost him next year.  So I think the hire makes next year inevitable.  The good news is that hopefully we can maintain as it relates to recruiting and our next head coach won't have as big a hole as Mack left Charlie and Charlie left Herman. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, trythisathome said:

I'm sure the nation's top assistants were champing at the bit to go coach at Rutgers 

There is a gap between assembling what might be the worst staff ever assembled at a P5 program and having a staff of less than the primary option because of lack of brand value in Rutgers. But, whatever, fuck it, let’s see what this troglodyte puts together now that he has a massive brand behind him. Sure. Right. Fuck yeah, let’s go. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There is a gap between assembling what might be the worst staff ever assembled at a P5 program and having a staff of less than the primary option because of lack of brand value in Rutgers. But, whatever, fuck it, let’s see what this troglodyte puts together now that he has a massive brand behind him. Sure. Right. Fuck yeah, let’s go. 

depositphotos_21594215-stock-illustratio

Edited by LTtxfan

The Ash hire was a foregone conclusion when he started consultating, unless MensaTo__ managed to right the ship, which he didn't. No surprise to anybody in these parts.

The real problem, anyway, was the O, not the D. We only lost one single game in which we scored at least 30 points, and that was LSU. Our five losses were by an average of 8 points, and only that high because Baylor (well, and TCU, but what else is new?). If the O picks up just one TD per game, we're 10-2 instead of 7-5. 

The disaster is not that we lost but rather how we lost.

Ash seems like he must be at least moderately competent, or the Pope would've excommunicated him, so I'm not completely pissed about him being the man for 2020.

I'm a lot more concerned about the offense. Offering cigars, rum, and (when in CO) ganja to Papa Legba, because we look a whole lot like a team at a crossroads.

Just now, Joker said:

People know Herman is a dead man walking. The only reason Graham Harrell is considering it is because he’s in the same situation at USC. At least he would be back home in Texas at UT for a year or 2. 

Ash and Harrell would at least allow me to renew my season tickets with a minimum of teeth grinding.

The fake search is the insult to players and fans. Dude seems like a good coach to be our co-dc, why not celebrate the hire right away vs. having a fake interview process. 

I'll be curious to see how the players react, they've been around him and the players always know. Herman & Lovo seem to be the ones out of touch with reality.

On the one hand, Herman's track record with comfort hires speaks for itself (not in a good way), and if he wants to stick with a base 4-3 both the roster and schedule are going to make that tough.

On the other hand, the list of realistic candidates who are equally or better qualified is short. He's known as a fundamentals guy with a DB specialization and if he just performs that role competently, that's going to add wins right there. A lot of defensive improvement is really low hanging fruit.

The $9.95 crowd is worthless so it's hard to know who was a real candidate. I'm sure they called and made Morgan Scalley say no, but if you ever thought that had a chance of happening then you are very, very stupid. There was a lot of smoke around Odom, but he's a Mizzou lifer with the exception of a brief stint at Memphis. That fact that he held out for familiarity - HC job at Memphis and the DC down the road at piggy with that fell through - isn't a shock and makes me think he wouldn't have viewed Texas as a good fit if there were conversations. His resume also isn't leaps and bounds better than Ash's. I'd have like them to take a look at Mike Macintyre but his name never came up. Beyond that, who's the obviously better hire?

I guess my ultimate take is that I understand the consternation around Ash, but he's one of the better available candidates. I'd feel a lot better if I knew Herman made an effort to go outside of his circle - that's not really clear either way. That's a bigger concern than Ash's competence. We'll see how it goes. If it's a mediocre hire the whole thing is getting blown up next year anyway, so whatever.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Todd Orlando has not written, read, or been mildly interested in anything regarding tackling fundamentals, so there's that.

7 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

The Ash hire was a foregone conclusion when he started consultating, unless MensaTo__ managed to right the ship, which he didn't. No surprise to anybody in these parts.

The real problem, anyway, was the O, not the D. We only lost one single game in which we scored at least 30 points, and that was LSU. Our five losses were by an average of 8 points, and only that high because Baylor (well, and TCU, but what else is new?). If the O picks up just one TD per game, we're 10-2 instead of 7-5. 

The disaster is not that we lost but rather how we lost.

Ash seems like he must be at least moderately competent, or the Pope would've excommunicated him, so I'm not completely pissed about him being the man for 2020.

I'm a lot more concerned about the offense. Offering cigars, rum, and (when in CO) ganja to Papa Legba, because we look a whole lot like a team at a crossroads.

I'm way more concerned about the defense in this conference.  I believe Herman has the ability to fix the O given more focus.  he has no such ability on D.  The Ash hire was a foregone conclusion as soon as Herman said that "after 2 years in the program I expect our DB's to know how to run quarters coverage".   

that said hopefully we are healthier and deeper next year on D.  the losses were pretty much evenly split in O and D responsibility.  there was no reason to lose to TCU and ISU.

• Like 1