2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I regretfully checked in with my guy and suffice it to say the perception is not that this is some calculated Mensa move to delay announcing the coaches. There is growing anxiety that we have no idea wtf we are doing. 

I can say that there is a growing frustration in the locker room for this same reason.  There has been no communication about what's going on with the coaches, and players are realizing that they are playing a bowl game for a bunch of coaches who probably won't be here come January.  Morale is in the shitter, to say the least.

10 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

I can say that there is a growing frustration in the locker room for this same reason.  There has been no communication about what's going on with the coaches, and players are realizing that they are playing a bowl game for a bunch of coaches who probably won't be here come January.  Morale is in the shitter, to say the least.

I get this post... but it just pisses me off more.  You're going to a bowl game.  Yah got rid of Mehringer.  Supposedly the players like Naivar and Washington.  You play for The University of Texas... Nut up and play FOOTBALL!!

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

DizzySpeedyDipper-max-1mb.gif

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I agree. If this guy is going to damage the program, I’d like for him to do so in unthinkable ways that are so fucking absurd that they border on performance art and make the on-field humiliation more palatable. 

Right. I want my teams to be either completely dominant or rock-bottom embarrassing. Mediocrity is boring. The Astros of this decade have been sublime. 

• Like 1

If this guy is going to damage the program, I’d like for him to do so in unthinkable ways that are so fucking absurd that they border on performance art

Some of the late game defensive decisions against lsu and offensive playcalls against isu really aren't that far from "so fucking absurd that they border on performance art."

34 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Some of the late game defensive decisions against lsu and offensive playcalls against isu really aren't that far from "so fucking absurd that they border on performance art."

It’s crazy to me that if we had any other DC out there we probably would have won that game. 

One of the other things running through my mind as this search appears to be potentially going off the rails is that this may be Tom Herman’s CFB version of telling The Aristocrats joke whereby the punchline after watching this class dissolve and the fanbase’s head explode, he announces Kendal Briles as the OC and Mike Stoops as the DC. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One of the other things running through my mind as this search appears to be potentially going off the rails is that this may be Tom Herman’s CFB version of telling The Aristocrats joke whereby the punchline after watching this class dissolve and the fanbase’s head explode, he announces Kendal Briles as the OC and Mike Stoops as the DC. 

Doesn't get much dirtier than that 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You are in the zip code, but you have the wrong address. My sources say we are closing in on deals with Art Briles at OC and Bob Stoops at DC. I hear we didn’t even make Art interview. Bob has reportedly been spotted at both Forbidden Fruit and Dreamers since Monday.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Many think Ash is a bad hire not due to his qualifications instead because it is a comfort hire for our coach and allows him to not grow into being a successful manager / CEO. Herman has shown he is a bad manger in my view for the following reasons:

1) He took over offensive game planning in year one and did it for two more years even though he did not want too instead of addressing the issue
Many first time managers fail since their first reaction to problems is to take it over all themselves. Why? They are a great worker bee but lack people management problem solving skills.

2) Good managers figure out what problems exist and what resources are needed to solve them and go get what is needed
Herman could sense there was a people skills problem on offense but was to busy doing the work instead of finding the right folks to solve his deficiency

3) Good managers immerse themselves enough in what their staff is doing to understand if tasks are being done well  but not enough to micro manage
Orlando was having major problems and I suspect he was telling Tom how he would solve them but Tom did not immerse himself enough to know if he was being snowed or the person just had no idea how to address the atrocities that were occurring.

4) Good managers are pro-active 
Herman has shown to be reactive he is only switching staff once he lost. Hell Meh should have been gone the week after the Oklahoma game. So Herman may only be reactive once he is forced to be reactive which is even worse. This is the most worrisome of them all. Reactive folks rarely become proactive folks. 

Ash is a way for Herman to fall back into his routine. Tom basically will say to himself, I know the guy therefore I can trust the guy and I do not have to immerse myself in understanding what he is doing right and what he is doing wrong. Maybe CDC is helping Tom keep his eye on the ball because CDC sure comes across as a guy that knows how to delegate and challenge his staff to bring him solutions.

P.S. I am sure that folks that have to hire good managers and lead them will probably recognize even more issues and maybe some bullshit in my observations but these are my $0.02.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Hell, if Orlando had temporarily blacked out right before that 3rd & 17 we could have won that game. 

Or, you know, if we had a head coach who learned from about 10,000 other situations, and made a decision on something other than to go for it on 4th down ...

13 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

There were reports that Ash was waiting to see if the DC at Ohio St opened up before making any decisions on his future. 

Going to be hilarious to see the responses from those that think they know everything if he takes the OSU job. Sure he's good enough to be the DC for a team that routinely is in contention for the CFP, but not at Texas.

29 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Or, you know, if we had a head coach who learned from about 10,000 other situations, and made a decision on something other than to go for it on 4th down ...

It’s not Tom’s fault Ingram forgot how to catch on the first 4th down attempt. The second goal line stand was Tom just chasing points. Also, DD scored a 40yd TD on a 4th and 2. Tom’s offensive game plan was far from what lost the game.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

It’s not Tom’s fault Ingram forgot how to catch on the first 4th down attempt. The second goal line stand was Tom just chasing points. Also, DD scored a 40yd TD on a 4th and 2. Tom’s offensive game plan was far from what lost the game.

a) I didn't say anything about the specific decisions he made on 4th down, let alone say that those decisions cost us the game.  (BTW, we're 113th in the nation on 4th down conversions.)

b) My point was as the head coach, he had every opportunity to intervene on 3rd and 17, just as he did on a zillion 4th down plays.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

You are in the zip code, but you have the wrong address. My sources say we are closing in on deals with Art Briles at OC and Bob Stoops at DC. I hear we didn’t even make Art interview. Bob has reportedly been spotted at both Forbidden Fruit and Dreamers since Monday.

That’s still slightly less evil than Urban

5 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

It’s the sound women make in Ohio. 

Or "ladies" in College Station.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

4 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

And many of them will now post about how pissed they are that OSU hired him and we didn't. Because when OSU hires him it will be because they know something and her really is a great coordinator and Tom was to stupid to know that and hire him first. 

TL:DR Surly gonna Surly

Who is saying that? If seen multiple post like this, please tell me who is saying that they’d be upset with Tom if Ash is hired by OSU?? You guys are ridiculous. It’s a shitty hire no matter if OSU wants him or not. Tim Beck was once employed by OSU and called plays. He’s still a shitty play caller. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Going to be hilarious to see the responses from those that think they know everything if he takes the OSU job. Sure he's good enough to be the DC for a team that routinely is in contention for the CFP, but not at Texas.

Tell us who his play calling CO-DC will be and we’ll tell you if he’s good enough to be here.

12 minutes ago, Cap Hooked said:

Who is saying that? If seen multiple post like this, please tell me who is saying that they’d be upset with Tom if Ash is hired by OSU?? You guys are ridiculous. It’s a shitty hire no matter if OSU wants him or not. Tim Beck was once employed by OSU and called plays. He’s still a shitty play caller. 

I haven't seen any posts yet, but I guarantee you there will be some if Ash goes to OSU. 

• Like 1

No one is saying it because it hasn't happened yet. Be patient ffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Many think Ash is a bad hire not due to his qualifications instead because it is a comfort hire for our coach and allows him to not grow into being a successful manager / CEO. Herman has shown he is a bad manger in my view for the following reasons:

1) He took over offensive game planning in year one and did it for two more years even though he did not want too instead of addressing the issue
Many first time managers fail since their first reaction to problems is to take it over all themselves. Why? They are a great worker bee but lack people management problem solving skills.

2) Good managers figure out what problems exist and what resources are needed to solve them and go get what is needed
Herman could sense there was a people skills problem on offense but was to busy doing the work instead of finding the right folks to solve his deficiency

3) Good managers immerse themselves enough in what their staff is doing to understand if tasks are being done well  but not enough to micro manage
Orlando was having major problems and I suspect he was telling Tom how he would solve them but Tom did not immerse himself enough to know if he was being snowed or the person just had no idea how to address the atrocities that were occurring.

4) Good managers are pro-active 
Herman has shown to be reactive he is only switching staff once he lost. Hell Meh should have been gone the week after the Oklahoma game. So Herman may only be reactive once he is forced to be reactive which is even worse. This is the most worrisome of them all. Reactive folks rarely become proactive folks. 

Ash is a way for Herman to fall back into his routine. Tom basically will say to himself, I know the guy therefore I can trust the guy and I do not have to immerse myself in understanding what he is doing right and what he is doing wrong. Maybe CDC is helping Tom keep his eye on the ball because CDC sure comes across as a guy that knows how to delegate and challenge his staff to bring him solutions.

P.S. I am sure that folks that have to hire good managers and lead them will probably recognize even more issues and maybe some bullshit in my observations but these are my $0.02.

Corporate buzzword game strong to quite strong.

• Like 3