Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

11 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

The knowledge he’s unhappy coupled with the timing of him recently playing in Dallas has caught our attention. Could he have met with an UT emissary while in Dallas? Probably not, but the timing of his final game and the velocity of the search picking up has us curious.

people pay money for this shit?  it was just coincidence that Florida happened to play in the Cotton Bowl while we are allegedly looking for a new coach.  it's not like Mullen said, "yeah, um, let's play in Dallas so i can meet with UT folks about that job."  good lord, that IT Humidor is zero scoop and all poop flung against the wall.

thanks for posting RGBIII.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

- There is palpable excitement coming from the trilateral commission.

After chasing hard for UM and failing supposedly why would a BK level hire or lower create this type of excitement? BK is a hire to get excited about but the guys who put everything on the line for UM would only have this reaction if he said yes IMO

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

IT Humidor

What we know

- There is palpable excitement coming from the trilateral commission.

- The searchers have run an organized and discreet effort to improve the head coaching position. It was never an either/or between Urban Meyer and Tom Herman. Other than perhaps a little wiggle room in the event of a close Big 12 Championship loss, Herman was only going to keep his job by winning the conference after losing the RRS. The die was cast relatively early in the season. Blowout wins versus inferior opponents were never going to move the needle.

- Urban Meyer’s name is still floating around out there, but we’re not hearing anything that leads us to believe he’ll be the next coach. It is curious, however, that his stated reason for not taking the Texas job — his health — hasn’t dissuaded NFL coaching rumors.

- We know Dan Mullen is unhappy in Gainesville and is looking at NFL head coaching jobs. While he’s a great offensive mind for the NFL, he’s a terrible personality fit. The knowledge he’s unhappy coupled with the timing of him recently playing in Dallas has caught our attention. Could he have met with an UT emissary while in Dallas? Probably not, but the timing of his final game and the velocity of the search picking up has us curious. He also didn’t fire Todd Grantham. Maybe he’s letting the next UF coach do that. We just don’t know.

- Things are really, really quiet when it comes to candidates we’d consider to be out of left field. Things are so quiet with Matt Campbell right now, we’d consider that out of left field. We think it’s too early for an out of left field candidate and we’re not sure it would lead to the sorts of internal excitement we’re picking up on.

What we think we know

- We think the searchers have zeroed in on one or perhaps more targets. It is possible they have their man.

- We say “or perhaps more targets” because one name we’re beginning to hear may only be a backup plan. More on Steve Sarkisian in a minute.

- Thursday seems to have been a significant day in this ordeal. We received cryptic messaging that let us know movement was afoot but we weren’t given much beyond that. Since then, more and more people further from the key figures are coming to us with similarly cryptic info.

- We believe the timeline for a replacement is after bowl season (January 11th) but that could potentially turn on a dime. We’re preparing in case it does.

- There are a handful of members on the current staff who have a good chance of being retained by a new coach. We’ve heard the decision makers have appreciated the work put in by a couple and are advocating on those coaches' behalf.

- We have downplayed the possibility of Alabama OC Steve Sarkisian. We simply weren’t trusting anything coming from the CDC communication lines, plus it didn’t, and still doesn’t in many ways, logically follow. But now we’re starting to hear his name from SEC country. We do believe he’s a viable option, but that isn’t to say he is the option, at least not yet. For those wondering, we do not consider Sarkisian a whale, but I think given his positives a case can be made for him as a 3.5 (in between a solid coach on the rise and a unicorn).

[We have the whales as: Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, Urban Meyer, Kyle Shanahan, and Brian Kelly. We concede that Kelly is debatable, but we have no interest in debating it]

What we’re uncertain about

- This is a key point to put it mildly: we’re uncertain who the replacement is. That could be changed with one phone call. Hell, we may already know and not believe it.

- The timeline is sketchy and likely dependent on the candidate. There are certain ways to handle this that benefit the program as a whole, including recruiting.

Team Beat

1. Anything on injuries?

QB Sam Ehlinger - Grade 2 shoulder strain. He’ll be fine. We’re not expecting him to return.

DL T’Vondre Sweat - His shoulder issue could have him missing the spring. We’re hearing differing things but neither are great. There’s nothing wrong with his legs, they’ll need to keep his weight down.

DL Alfred Collins - Shoulder strain and re-aggravated a wrist injury. Not severe, he’ll be fine.

WR Brenden Schooler - Mild sprained ankle, he’s fine.

2. Anything on guys potentially leaving?

WR Jake Smith and WR Marcus Washington tend to go back and forth on whether or not they want to leave. We’re more concerned about Smith than Washington at this time. As a group, the wide receivers were thrilled with the passing game demonstrated by Casey Thompson, but they are also aware of what Hudson Card brings to the table. In short, they expect to get more downfield opportunities next year. We’ll see if this has an effect on Smith.

DB Tyler Owens is one we wouldn’t be surprised by entering the portal.

WR Dajon Harrison is very distant from this team. That’s to be expected after he surprisingly opted out. We’re unsure on his future at UT.

OL Willie Tyler is still an unknown.

WR Kennedy Lewis, who returned briefly in the summer, is set to return to the team at the start of the new semester. He’s enrolling and hopes to compete in the spring.

3. Team thoughts on Casey Thompson.

The team was collectively excited for Thompson. Entering into a pressure-free bowl and winning big is an excellent way to jumpstart an offseason. It was a confidence boost.

He’s made some of those throws in practice this year while also displaying the ability to tuck it and run. He’s just been inconsistent at times.

It was a perfect storm of Bijan Robinson, good OL play, bad opponent, and no pressure. That’s not a knock on Thompson, Ehlinger was benefitting from it too.

4. There has to be some excitement around the OL especially with the running backs.

There is no meritocracy with Tom Herman. The young OL >>> older OL, at least when it comes to potential. The entire starting five returns next fall. Most of the backups too. It was a crudely mishandled position.

“Bijan has been doing that since fall ball.” Nobody we spoke with was surprised about Bijan’s play later in the season. Bijan and Roschon are highly respected in the locker room.

5. What was the message post-Alamo Bowl from Herman, position coaches?

When you work hard, and play for each other, this is the result — a 55-23 thrashing of a “good” team. Herman thanked the players and coaches for the enduring the difficulties of 2020. Opined on the best senior class winning percentage since Colt McCoy. Be ready to use this momentum in the spring.

6. When do the players return to campus?

About 10-12 days.

7. Give us a player to watch this spring on each side of the ball.

Troy Omeire. Guys really want to watch him play again.

Vernon Broughton and David Gbenda were both mentioned.

8. Speaking of Broughton, did he spend ANY time on scout team OL?

“Haha. What?”

All I read was blah, blah blah I don't know anything.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

New Year’s foods. And a silly 2021 selfie! Hook’em! Urban or Bust! 

DF278818-5C37-4303-B9B3-78FD100D50D8.jpeg

E6E72F43-1582-41FD-AC77-E30FA21D4528.jpeg

53266794-7861-488B-8D35-2B0B048C573A.jpeg

50969003-6CBA-4841-8A8E-CBA059C68CE3.jpeg

Working out here in San Diego CA, that is one of things I miss the most, good ol sausage. Selection out here is embarrassing. Most offerings rival hot dog weenies.

Edited by Longhornlove
fat fingers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

Casey Thompson is good in games, but Hudson card is good in practice so who should starts?!

Haven't seen Card with the 1's in live action, need to give him a shot to know. Haven't seen much of Thompson either, only time and a coach willing to play them to know.

59 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

Was joking re Galveston. Not a place I’d hit up in February. We went to Cabo last year in February and enjoyed it. Lots to do, but your right in that it gets chilly in the evening (compared to Playa / Tulum) and many beaches arent swimmable. 

If I don't get back to Isla & the Tulum/Akumal area this year, I'ma be fucking pissed, got dammit.

21 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

people pay money for this shit?  it was just coincidence that Florida happened to play in the Cotton Bowl while we are allegedly looking for a new coach.  it's not like Mullen said, "yeah, um, let's play in Dallas so i can meet with UT folks about that job."  good lord, that IT Humidor is zero scoop and all poop flung against the wall.

thanks for posting RGBIII.

The only thing remotely interesting was "we may already know and not believe it." What the fuck does that mean?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

The only thing remotely interesting was "we may already know and not believe it." What the fuck does that mean?

It means it’s Urban, unless it’s not, then it’s probably Kelly or someone else, but it will happen on the 11th, unless it happens sooner....or possibly later.

Edited by FloridaHorn

58 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

I moved down here to Galveston a few years ago. Actually kinda nice in the winter months without the crowds. Good places to eat without the crowds in the off season. Just sitting on the beach enjoying nature is always special to me.

You have to drive pretty far from Galveston to get to unspoiled nature.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

After chasing hard for UM and failing supposedly why would a BK level hire or lower create this type of excitement? BK is a hire to get excited about but the guys who put everything on the line for UM would only have this reaction if he said yes IMO

Yep. BK would probably be a good hire, but I doubt it would generate much 'excitement' in those offices. Excitement would only come from Urban, Dabo, Saban, or Shanahan, imho. 

But it's Urban.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

What gives anyone the idea that Shanahan can build and maintain an elite college program?  He can call plays like a mofo and evaluate talent, but that’s like 20% of the job.  

I think he would be a great hire based on personality alone, however he would fucking loathe recruiting and that is a big ass red flag

10 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

It means it’s Urban, unless it’s not, then it’s probably Kelly or someone else, but it will happen on the 11th, unless it happens sooner....or possibly later.

Good summary. Pin to top

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

You know what it means. 

And yep, that was the only remotely interesting thing in that update. They're telling us where to go ...

tenor.gif

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

I think he would be a great hire based on personality alone, however he would fucking loathe recruiting and that is a big ass red flag

It's been reported from several different sources that Shanahan has no interest in coaching in college and him leaving his current gig doesn't logically follow. He's not even worth discussing. 

12 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

I think it's only because he's a "whale". I doubt there's a single person who's posted in this thread who considers him a remote possibility.

Thanks I’ve been following this thread pretty close and thought I missed something 

51 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Hire him and start playing the bagman game. I'm not sold on him for other reasons but I'm too old to give a shit about paying adults for services rendered just because some toothless joke of an organization claims you can't while half the top 25 does it with zero conscience. If there is a sure thing coach whose only issue might be recruiting then hire recruiting assistants and pay recruits like other big boys do. Problem solved. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 3