Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Got this text from a buddy of mine who graduated from Tech tonight.

Alright. Don’t kill me for this comment. Colorado is hammered dog shit. But how, with this talent, has Texas not competed for a Big 12 title? Ranger could coach this kind of talent and at least play at Jerry World in December

Ranger is his dog.....

I told him welcome to being an honorary Texas Longhorn Fan.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

I've said this before and I'll say it again, firing the dude just to fire him would be a terrible decision, which is why we will do it. If we can't get Urban, or pull Kelly from ND, or Campbell from ISU then we should hop off the carousel and wait a year.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

2 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again, firing the dude just to fire him will be a terrible decision. If we can't get Urban, or pull Kelly from ND, or Campbell from ISU then we should hop off the carousel and wait a year. 

Explain. He sucks ass and is proven at it. I'd take Gus and be happy about it at this point, fuck that guy.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've said this before and I'll say it again, firing the dude just to fire him would be a terrible decision, which is why we will do it. If we can't get Urban, or pull Kelly from ND, or Campbell from ISU then we should hop off the carousel and wait a year.

Too Small Tim Robinson GIF by The Lonely Island

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Just received this email. Replied asking why we're celebrating Alamo bowl victories and told them it was embarrassing.

Screenshot_20201230-003031.png

Ha! You beat me to it. That's the perfect shirt for the Tom Herman era at Texas.

13 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Explain. He sucks ass and is proven at it.

Standing up from a neutral table and randomly selecting from a pool of likely low true count tables is idiocy. Herman has severe issues but seems to be an elite game planner given his success in bowls including about Georgia (and don't give me the aggy talking points of them not wanting to be there. You don't try to score that hard down three possessions in the 4th if you don't want to be there), capable offensive mind, but poor at personnel decisions (which seems to reverberate into discord across the program) and prone to going overly conservative late in games.

To me the biggest issues I see is Herb Hand, which Auburn and Penn State fans warned us about and possibly the WR room. Sam was clearly injured most of the season and that showed in play which was unfortunate but that is no excuse for some of the poor WR play we saw. Herb Hand's OL play is just atrocious. For whatever reason we can't seem to hit there and it is beyond me.

If we can find an elite coach, I am happy to kick Herman to the curb and move on since I think the cupboard is very well stacked for an elite coach to come in and win a conference championship and go from there. I am not a loyalist to Herman by any means. But this over reactionary position causes us to miss the forest for the trees. We finally have good defensive line play, not just from stars, but on the whole. We look like we potentially have a great LB in Overshown. DB play has improved. The staff is finally balanced in terms of coaches one each side of the ball. We finally have a good defensive staff for the first time under Herman meaning the staff issue there is at least temporarily solved mitigating one of the worst issues of Herman imo. On the offensive side of the ball I wouldn't miss a single coach if they left, but with that being said, with the exception of Hand I am not sure any are terrible either and it is entirely possible that most issues are largely due to the OL sucking donkey balls. I think if we fire Hand and get someone reasonably decent there is no reason we can't win a conference title next year. Casey Thompson seems more than capable and Bijan is the truth. The defense is stout and should improve with another year under Ash. I would still be carefully watching for a replacement for Herman, with that all being said, but I am not sure right now there is a name that we can get (assuming we can't get Urban, Kelly, or Campbell) that gives me any reason to believe would be better.

Tl;dr Herman sucks, but you overestimate how much he sucks, everyone beyond the three listed suck more, and with our current staff should still be able to win despite all deficiencies discussed provided we fire Hand.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
  • Fuck You 1

Standing up from a neutral table and randomly selecting from a pool of likely low true count tables is idiocy. Herman has severe issues but seems to be an elite game planner given his success in bowls including about Georgia (and don't give me the aggy talking points of them not wanting to be there. You don't try to score that hard down three possessions in the 4th if you don't want to be there), capable offensive mind, but poor at personnel decisions (which seems to reverberate into discord across the program) and prone to going overly conservative late in games.

To me the biggest issues I see is Herb Hand, which Auburn and Penn State fans warned us about and possibly the WR room. Sam was clearly injured most of the season and that showed in play which was unfortunate but that is no excuse for some of the poor WR play we saw. Herb Hand's OL play is just atrocious. For whatever reason we can't seem to hit there and it is beyond me.

If we can find an elite coach, I am happy to kick Herman to the curb and move on since I think the cupboard is very well stacked for an elite coach to come in and win a conference championship and go from there. I am not a loyalist to Herman by any means. But this over reactionary position causes us to miss the forest for the trees. We finally have good defensive line play, not just from stars, but on the whole. We look like we potentially have a great LB in Overshown. DB play has improved. The staff is finally balanced in terms of coaches one each side of the ball. We finally have a good defensive staff for the first time under Herman meaning the staff issue there is at least temporarily solved mitigating one of the worst issues of Herman imo. On the offensive side of the ball I wouldn't miss a single coach if they left, but with that being said, with the exception of Hand I am not sure any are terrible either and it is entirely possible that most issues are largely due to the OL sucking donkey balls.

You’ve literally just explained many of the reasons he needs to go regardless.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

If we can find an elite coach, I am happy to kick Herman to the curb and move on since I think the cupboard is very well stacked for an elite coach to come in and win a conference championship and go from there. I am not a loyalist to Herman by any means. But this over reactionary position causes us to miss the forest for the trees. We finally have good defensive line play, not just from stars, but on the whole. We look like we potentially have a great LB in Overshown. DB play has improved. The staff is finally balanced in terms of coaches one each side of the ball. We finally have a good defensive staff for the first time under Herman meaning the staff issue there is at least temporarily solved mitigating one of the worst issues of Herman imo. On the offensive side of the ball I wouldn't miss a single coach if they left, but with that being said, with the exception of Hand I am not sure any are terrible either and it is entirely possible that most issues are largely due to the OL sucking donkey balls.

He sorta had some ok seasons with good talent. His talent acquisition to on has fallen off a cliff. Results will suffer. He needs to be gone. It’s not going to happen for him. 

It's hard not to realize that tonight was quite possibly the best night possible in terms of Urban coming to Texas:

1.  Methhead Herman

2.  Bijan

3.  Thompson

4.  Bijan

5.  More athletic than JJ Watt and the Bosa brothers.

6.  News coming out a few days ago about NFL teams interested in Meyer - all a negotiating ploy by Meyer's agent.

It's happening.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Standing up from a neutral table and randomly selecting from a pool of likely low true count tables is idiocy. Herman has severe issues but seems to be an elite game planner ...

Stopped reading right there. Where was his elite game planning in the several games we lost or should have lost this year and in other years?

I'll take "Very good game planner every week" over "elite game planner once or twice a season" any fucking time.

4 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

If we can find an elite coach, I am happy to kick Herman to the curb and move on since I think the cupboard is very well stacked for an elite coach to come in and win a conference championship and go from there. I am not a loyalist to Herman by any means. But this over reactionary position causes us to miss the forest for the trees. We finally have good defensive line play, not just from stars, but on the whole. We look like we potentially have a great LB in Overshown. DB play has improved. The staff is finally balanced in terms of coaches one each side of the ball. We finally have a good defensive staff for the first time under Herman meaning the staff issue there is at least temporarily solved mitigating one of the worst issues of Herman imo. On the offensive side of the ball I wouldn't miss a single coach if they left, but with that being said, with the exception of Hand I am not sure any are terrible either and it is entirely possible that most issues are largely due to the OL sucking donkey balls. I think if we fire Hand and get someone reasonably decent there is no reason we can't win a conference title next year. Casey Thompson seems more than capable and Bijan is the truth. The defense is stout and should improve with another year under Ash. I would still be carefully watching for a replacement for Herman, with that all being said, but I am not sure right now there is a name that we can get (assuming we can't get Urban, Kelly, or Campbell) that gives me any reason to believe would be better.

Tl;dr Herman sucks, but you overestimate how much he sucks, everyone beyond the three listed suck more, and with our current staff should still be able to win despite all deficiencies discussed provided we fire Hand.

If only we could pinpoint the coach responsible for the offense who meddles in it at all times and is the single overriding factor regarding offensive performance. But I guess we'll never know.

1 minute ago, wood said:

Stopped reading right there. Where was his elite game planning in the several games we lost or should have lost this year and in other years?

I'll take "Very good game planner every week" over "elite game planner once or twice a season" any fucking time.

So would I. Like I said, if we can get Campbell, I would happily write up Herman's pink slip myself. But I am not going lower than Campbell to replace Herman this year.

4 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

So would I. Like I said, if we can get Campbell, I would happily write up Herman's pink slip myself. But I am not going lower than Campbell to replace Herman this year.

As we shouldn’t, but to say Herman is only worse than the top 4 “available” coaches in CFB is fucking dumb. The guy sucks. Experiment failed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Huckleberry said:

If only we could pinpoint the coach responsible for the offense who meddles in it at all times and is the single overriding factor regarding offensive performance. But I guess we'll never know.

Sure, but the issue isn't the entire offense, it's particular. The offensive line blows chunks. If we fix the offensive line and are still seeing the offense randomly sputter out when it shouldn't then I would agree with you. Like I said a billion times I don't love Herman. His meddling does introduce issues. With that all being said, most of the solutions are cutting off our nose to spite our face. Like seriously some of the Plan 3.5 names or whatever the fuck these dumbass shit for brains 9.95ers are calling their idiotic suggestions are just terrible. I don't want shitty retreads that would be our version of Charlie Weiss. I don't want G5 coaches with less success than Herman when he came here. If we can get a coach that either had recent success in the NFL or P5 or had a better resume at the G5 level than Herman or Strong did when they got here, sign me the fuck up. If we can't, let's not shoot ourselves in the dick to prove that we know Herman has a big ego.

5 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

How do you see the pool of candidates changing in 11 months, other than maybe urban not being in it?

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

As we shouldn’t, but to say Herman is only worse than the top 4 “available” coaches in CFB is fucking dumb. The guy sucks. Experiment failed. 

Who else is available that's worth hiring? I remember looking at the list of Plan 3.5ers from IT or whoever it was and just rolling my eyes repeatedly. They're either not coming or terrible choices

Sure, but the issue isn't the entire offense, it's particular. The offensive line blows chunks. If we fix the offensive line and are still seeing the offense randomly sputter out when it shouldn't then I would agree with you. Like I said a billion times I don't love Herman. His meddling does introduce issues. With that all being said, most of the solutions are cutting off our nose to spite our face. Like seriously some of the Plan 3.5 names or whatever the fuck these dumbass shit for brains 9.95ers are calling their idiotic suggestions are just terrible. I don't want shitty retreads that would be our version of Charlie Weiss. I don't want G5 coaches with less success than Herman when he came here. If we can get a coach that either had recent success in the NFL or P5 or had a better resume at the G5 level than Herman or Strong did when they got here, sign me the fuck up. If we can't, let's not shoot ourselves in the dick to prove that we know Herman has a big ego.

If only we had evidence that Tom Herman doesn't know what a good offensive line looks like, perhaps if he'd said something really stupid like maybe after 2017 fall camp he'd said that OL was the best he's ever been around even compared to the national championship Ohio State OL he worked with.

Alas, we'll never know on that one either. I guess we'll just have to trust Tom Herman to rectify the OL with his keen eye on the matter.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

How do you see the pool of candidates changing in 11 months, other than maybe urban not being in it?

G5 candidates that I think have potential get a chance to prove themselves to be more than one hit wonders. P5 coaches that continue to over perform at middling institutions realize they've done the most they can at Pittsburgh or North Carolina or Arizona (purely examples of middling institutions not suggesting I like the coach at any of these schools to be the next Texas HC).

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

If only we had evidence that Tom Herman doesn't know what a good offensive line looks like, perhaps if he'd said something really stupid like maybe after 2017 fall camp he'd said that OL was the best he's ever been around even compared to the national championship Ohio State OL he worked with.

Alas, we'll never know on that one either. I guess we'll just have to trust Tom Herman to rectify the OL with his keen eye on the matter.

Oh fuck off Huck, you can't seriously be using coach speak as an indictment. You're better than that. Every single fucking unit in year X is the best unit every coach claims to have ever seen in their career until year X+1 when every unit that year, especially the weakest unit of the team that year, is the greatest unit since the 85 Bears D and the modern Kansas City O.

Oh fuck off Huck, you can't seriously be using coach speak as an indictment. You're better than that. Every single fucking unit in year X is the best unit every coach claims to have ever seen in their career until year X+1 when every unit that year, especially the weakest unit of the team that year, is the greatest unit since the 85 Bears D and the modern Kansas City O.

And yet three years later it’s still a severe liability
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

The point of Herb Hand being hired and currently still on staff as a supporting point for keeping Herman is a new and absolutely idiotic one. Consider me intrigued.

It's a sign that Herman is who I've said he is. Poor at personnel decisions, good at other things listed, while others here seem to claim he is the worst at everything and a half step above Charlie Weis in terms of coaching talent. Roll the dice on OL and try to find a better guy. Wait a year and try to find a better coach if we can, unless we can get Campbell or better in case we fire Herman regardless and hire Campbell or better.

4 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

We have that already, and he sucks dick,  might as well send it.

Who do you want then, assuming we can't the guys I mentioned being suitable replacements? Who would be worthy of rolling the dice on instead of Herman. Why should we believe odds are good they work out better? Everyone can tell me that Herman sucks at x, y, and z. Most of the time I agree since I've said similar things here and elsewhere. What no one can seem to answer is, why should we believe going below the bar I mentioned would yield better results than what we have?

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

7 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

I'm not the one who actually believes stupid shit like every coach every year says every one of his units is the best he's ever seen.

Name another instance where Tom Herman said a unit on the Texas football team was the best he's ever been around. Anyone who said what he said about the 2017 Texas OL loses all credibility regarding offensive line play. It didn't take the season to start before everyone called him out for that absolutely stupid statement. You don't say a shitty group is the best you've ever seen to build them up. There are plenty of other things to say.

Your argument boils down to saying that Tom Herman deserves more time if we can't find Football Jesus (no offense VY) to coach next season because maybe Herman will have a good OL to work with. Who exactly do you think is ultimately responsible for the shitty OL play we've had for 4 years? Who is responsible for hiring the coach, recruiting the players, and ensuring that the players are coached up?

Recruiting is getting worse, not better.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 3

Something else re: the 'elite game planning' angle:

Does anyone here really think what happened tonight was the result of the gameplan? What I saw was a very talented & much deeper team running over & pushing around a far less talented team minus a real QB --- and having trouble doing that until depth, Bijan, and CT took over.

Just now, wood said:

Does anyone here really think what happened tonight was the result of the gameplan? What I saw was a very talented & much deeper team running over & pushing around a far less talented team minus a real QB --- and having trouble doing that until depth, Bijan, and CT took over.

What do you call Georgia, Mizzou, Utah, and Florida St then if this game didn't meet your standard? 

5 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep, “elite game planning” boils down to 3 bowl games (+/- 1 Georgia outlier) where an underperforming Texas team with elite talent was matched up with someone shitty, because that elite talent underperformed all year due to “elite game planning”

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, TheFlyingBoat said:

What do you call Georgia, Mizzou, Utah, and Florida St then if this game didn't meet your standard? 

I'm not saying the guy can't come up with some good shit every once in a while, but I didn't see anything tonight that suggested we won because of the gameplan. And he almost gave away Georgia with his bullshit, too.