Homemade Pizza Tips...Just the Tips

Landomatic

The Koda 16 was waiting on my doorstep when I got home for lunch today.  Unfortunately, the stone was cracked.  I reached out to Ooni and have sent all the pics and details to get it replaced.  Hopefully, the new stone shows up before the dough I made last night passes Go (or I could just use the cracked stone since it's cracked on the corner).  Oven itself seems no worse for the wear.

Anyway, I've got some footage of the delivery guy.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

The Koda 16 was waiting on my doorstep when I got home for lunch today.  Unfortunately, the stone was cracked.  I reached out to Ooni and have sent all the pics and details to get it replaced.  Hopefully, the new stone shows up before the dough I made last night passes Go (or I could just use the cracked stone since it's cracked on the corner).  Oven itself seems no worse for the wear.

Anyway, I've got some footage of the delivery guy.

Got a pic of the stone?  If just the corner, you're probably ok and can just make a smaller pie if necessary.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Got a pic of the stone?  If just the corner, you're probably ok and can just make a smaller pie if necessary.

That's what I figure.  I still mentioned the dough to customer service in hopes that they might overnight it.

Nfaaz4j-MJ1-J3j-HWXw1yq-Qh-R7jgj-TIq-TUU

14 minutes ago, dcbc said:

That's what I figure.  I still mentioned the dough to customer service in hopes that they might overnight it.

Nfaaz4j-MJ1-J3j-HWXw1yq-Qh-R7jgj-TIq-TUU

Ooni customer service is pretty good in my experience.

I think that you can cook on that until the new one arrives.  I would put it in the oven such that the broken ear is away from the flame, and just lay the broken piece in. You should be able to do 12-14" pies no problem, esp if you have the screen and just need to take it off the screen at the end for a quick crisp up on the bottom. 

Edited by Anastasis
inches, but only SA's mom is counting.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Ooni customer service is pretty good in my experience.

I think that you can cook on that until the new one arrives.  I would put it in the oven such that the broken ear is away from the flame, and just lay the broken piece in. You should be able to do 12-14" pies no problem, esp if you have the screen and just need to take it off the screen at the end for a quick crisp up on the bottom. 

Thanks.  I think it will do nicely until a replacement arrives.  Screen was delivered to a house 1 street over last night.  It's not been my week with the box truck drivers.  Fortunately, my son had a 12-string acoustic guitar misdelivered to the same house at the same time yesterday.  So it didn't take him long walking the block to find the packages.  Still not sure why that neighbor signed for his guitar. 

Edited by dcbc

30 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Thanks.  I think it will do nicely until a replacement arrives.  Screen was delivered to a house 1 street over last night.  It's not been my week with the box truck drivers.  Fortunately, my son had a 12-string acoustic guitar misdelivered to the same house at the same time yesterday.  So it didn't take him long walking the block to find the packages.  Still not sure why that neighbor signed for his guitar. 

Probably didn’t know it was a twelve string.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Probably didn’t know it was a twelve string.

I tried to talk him out of it.  He was tuning it last night and cranked the thin low E too hard and broke it.  And so the learning process and realization of why dad doesn't have a 12-string anymore begins for the young lad.

/for another thread

Edited by dcbc

44 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Hurry up and cook that pizza and learn me on dough!

I threw it together quick.  I grabbed bread flour at the store today.  That's supposed to work better with this recipe.  Tried 00 flour last year and didn't think it was a big improvement.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

I haven’t perfected a Neapolitan dough yet, don’t think I’m stretching it thin enough. 

Once I get it started, I use a silicone baking sheet with pizza circles and sizes on it.  I just keep working it into the circle and have gotten some nice. thin. 14" pies with good spring.  But it hasn't been without some mending rips with the thicker, outer crust along the way.  And they don't launch easily for me without some parchment paper (I just got my first screen).  I'm out of practice at the moment.  Will have some pictures soon.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, dcbc said:

Once I get it started, I use a silicone baking sheet with pizza circles and sizes on it.  I just keep working it into the circle and have gotten some nice. thin. 14" pies with good spring.  But it hasn't been without some mending rips with the thicker, outer crust along the way.  And they don't launch easily for me without some parchment paper (I just got my first screen).  I'm out of practice at the moment.  Will have some pictures soon.

You can get it real thin by using the backs of your wrists to lift and spin the dough slightly.  The singing Mama Mia, Papa Pia may or may not have something to do with it. 😉 Basically I would use the weight of the dough on the edges to slowly do most of the stretching.  I used the back of my wrists to slowly spin and later to toss just because I didn't tear the dough as much using the rounder larger than fingers back side of my wrists.  

I also found that the thinner the crust the more important it was that I brushed the dough with some oil to seal it before putting on the sauce and ingredients.  We also would often pre-cook mushrooms for example to get rid of some of the liquid. I would often cook sausage links on the grill and poke a few holes in the casings at the end to remove some of the moisture there as well.  Removing some of the juice/grease with the holes helped keep the pizza from getting runny, and after it was refrigerated you could cut thinking and consistently to get the thickness we desired.  We were cooking mostly on a stone in our smaller top oven on our range.  Usually at 450 degrees after a good long preheat.  Not as good as some of the new blistering hot pizza ovens, but worked fine.  Our cheat was to brush the crust edges with an egg wash to make it more similar to a hotter oven finish.

While we always used corn meal to keep the dough from sticking the last homemade pizza I did last fall I used a new "cheat" instead of using corn starch. I realized that parchment paper had a flash point of 450 degrees.  So we dropped the temp to 445 degrees and I put the pie together on a sheet of parchment paper on my pizza spatula. After it was put together I trimmed the edges of the parchment paper to the edge of the pizza crust and in she went.  Again this is NOT in a super hot 800 degree oven, but a 445 degree oven.  Pizza came out great and was super easy in and out of the oven with less mess to clean up from using the parchment paper as the base.  I wish I had realized the parchment paper trick years ago, when a lot of our Friday nights were pizza with the kids.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

You can get it real thin by using the backs of your wrists to lift and spin the dough slightly.  The singing Mama Mia, Papa Pia may or may not have something to do with it. 😉 Basically I would use the weight of the dough on the edges to slowly do most of the stretching.  I used the back of my wrists to slowly spin and later to toss just because I didn't tear the dough as much using the rounder larger than fingers back side of my wrists.  

I also found that the thinner the crust the more important it was that I brushed the dough with some oil to seal it before putting on the sauce and ingredients.  We also would often pre-cook mushrooms for example to get rid of some of the liquid. I would often cook sausage links on the grill and poke a few holes in the casings at the end to remove some of the moisture there as well.  Removing some of the juice/grease with the holes helped keep the pizza from getting runny, and after it was refrigerated you could cut thinking and consistently to get the thickness we desired.  We were cooking mostly on a stone in our smaller top oven on our range.  Usually at 450 degrees after a good long preheat.  Not as good as some of the new blistering hot pizza ovens, but worked fine.  Our cheat was to brush the crust edges with an egg wash to make it more similar to a hotter oven finish.

While we always used corn meal to keep the dough from sticking the last homemade pizza I did last fall I used a new "cheat" instead of using corn starch. I realized that parchment paper had a flash point of 450 degrees.  So we dropped the temp to 445 degrees and I put the pie together on a sheet of parchment paper on my pizza spatula. After it was put together I trimmed the edges of the parchment paper to the edge of the pizza crust and in she went.  Again this is NOT in a super hot 800 degree oven, but a 445 degree oven.  Pizza came out great and was super easy in and out of the oven with less mess to clean up from using the parchment paper as the base.  I wish I had realized the parchment paper trick years ago, when a lot of our Friday nights were pizza with the kids.

I regularly used parchment paper to launch on my grill top pizza oven.  Works great and rarely caught fire.  I usually slid it out on the first turn.

Edited by dcbc

Fired it up for a test run.  Brisket is on the menu tonight.  So I made some quick dough and called it Focaccia bread.  Didn't take long, but I need to tune it down for anything not thick.  One of them got a bit crispy and neither cooked all the way through.  Nobody complained, but I figure dialing it back before launch and adjusting as needed is the answer.

k-AP2x90iacy5-J5-J2w-ZTq-Le0aw-Ibx-Sm-RW

On 4/13/2023 at 7:37 PM, RMac5 said:

Hurry up and cook that pizza and learn me on dough!

On 4/13/2023 at 8:31 PM, RMac5 said:

I haven’t perfected a Neapolitan dough yet, don’t think I’m stretching it thin enough. 

A friend has been making pizza in wood burning stone ovens for a while and just got an Ooni last fall. 

This is the recipe he uses for high heat pizza dough and it comes with a video. 

https://us.gozney.com/blogs/recipes/neapolitan-pizza-dough-by-the-pizza-jew

His pronunciation of the word “water” makes me think that he’s from Philly.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well first shot at some homeade. Used the serious eats Detroit style dough and then made it fit to the pans I had.

The interior of the dough came out great but the crust, especially on the cast iron, was hard/chewy instead of crunchy. Any ideas on what would cause that?IMG_7150.thumb.jpeg.74e7b34e051ed4e7052a1b9369b56321.jpeg

IMG_7151.thumb.jpeg.f335009f85c572b5896e1af3ccbb2157.jpeg

Spread thinner on a pizza pan.

IMG_7152.thumb.jpeg.3d8a92be6fcb7fcd7b0a1ece97779241.jpegIMG_7153.thumb.jpeg.05c07e2dee41a711ef1cfbb8e0b9908c.jpeg

Square pan

IMG_7154.thumb.jpeg.e69ca2587f9aed3e873c33573a467964.jpegIMG_7155.thumb.jpeg.700b73d213aaa34686f16e6609d9503a.jpeg
cast iron

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

22 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Damn, that looks amazing. 

Man I wish it was. Like for real it looked right but it wasn't. The sauce was super great. The cheese was so right. But the crust wasn’t it.

The thin one was pretty good. A little chewy but ok. I used soppresata on that one but I cut it a bit too thick. Still was pretty good. This one was a 16” pizza pan, cooked at 525 (oven max) with the pan sitting on the base of the long preheated oven.

The square was decent, cheesy, but the crust still was a touch chewy and hard instead of like a crunch. This one was in a Rachel Ray square pan, preheated pizza stone underneath, middle rack at 525.

The cast iron was fucky. Same chewy issue on the crust. Great interior on the dough though. Cast iron sitting in the bottom of the 525 oven. 

I’ll need to try again but new some ideas from smarter cooks on how to get the crust right. Maybe I overworked the dough in the mixer. 

Edited by hobbes2702

13 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I thought maybe that but I figured the cast iron would be the best of the three. It being the worst has me confused 

If you are going for detroit style, the pan may be an essential component. Haven't experimented with it much, and just use a cheap pan off amazon so not many data points with other pans to compare.   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Well first shot at some homeade. Used the serious eats Detroit style dough and then made it fit to the pans I had.

The interior of the dough came out great but the crust, especially on the cast iron, was hard/chewy instead of crunchy. Any ideas on what would cause that?IMG_7150.thumb.jpeg.74e7b34e051ed4e7052a1b9369b56321.jpeg

IMG_7151.thumb.jpeg.f335009f85c572b5896e1af3ccbb2157.jpeg

Spread thinner on a pizza pan.

IMG_7152.thumb.jpeg.3d8a92be6fcb7fcd7b0a1ece97779241.jpegIMG_7153.thumb.jpeg.05c07e2dee41a711ef1cfbb8e0b9908c.jpeg

Square pan

IMG_7154.thumb.jpeg.e69ca2587f9aed3e873c33573a467964.jpegIMG_7155.thumb.jpeg.700b73d213aaa34686f16e6609d9503a.jpeg
cast iron

serious eats has a cast iron pan pizza recipe which you should be using instead of detroit style.

https://www.seriouseats.com/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe#toc-how-to-make-a-pan-pizza-step-by-step

and what kind of flour did you use?

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Do you have oil in the pan?

Yea I oiled the pan with EVOO

11 hours ago, elfenix said:

serious eats has a cast iron pan pizza recipe which you should be using instead of detroit style.

https://www.seriouseats.com/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe#toc-how-to-make-a-pan-pizza-step-by-step

and what kind of flour did you use?

I’ll try that one next time. I looked at it too and was just hoping the cast iron could work for the Detroit style. I dialed back the cheese slightly (recipe calls for 12oz brick per pie, I did about 5oz mozz, 5oz jack per).

That recipe calls for bread flour.

One thing I’ll add that I think might be part of the problem. The dough was extremely sticky to the point that I couldn’t even form it into a ball to let it rest without very very generously flouring my hands. Wonder if that extra flour might have been the prob.

Edited by hobbes2702

19 minutes ago, elfenix said:

did you use AP or bread flour?  AP will be stickier for a given hydration

Bread.

I’m gonna try that no knead pan recipe next and see if it’s better.

I think I’ll also knead by hand if I do this one again. I don’t think my mixer does a good job even with a dough hook.

Edited by hobbes2702

so the usual culprits for hard crust is baking too long/hot, too little water, not enough rise, too little dough, low hyrdation, overkneading, and too much oil.  could be other factors as well. don't remember if you're here in texas - altitude does all sorts of things to baking recipes. 

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/learn/resources/high-altitude-baking