Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Machinator

4 hours ago, golfclap said:

King Doerue committed to Purdue. 

figured he'd end up at Tech, TCU, or OkState. 

Not sure what the deal was with him.  Seems like there's got to be a story there of some sort.  TCU, Tech, Notre Dame, and Baylor were all schools that were recruiting him (and that he showed interest in) and then backed off.  He looks great on video.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fud said:

I have it at 60 set to return with Grandy and Boyd subtracted, which puts us at 85 with a full class, and let's call it 87 with two extra takes in the 2019 class. Or even 88 if someone like John Burt redshirts this year. 

Without being specific to names or reasons, be it draft, health, playing time, etc, I have three guys who are almost certainly gone, five who I'd consider likely, three who are a coinflip to unlikely, and a handful more who'd make sense but who could easily just hang around without being pushed out 

On top of that, there are always a couple who leave the program randomly for various reasons, although perhaps these guys already come from the list above and I'm double dipping, and also if the roster is already somewhat diminished in size, perhaps the odds are lower that we'll have random attrition?

Regarding this class size, the ultimate governor should be the 2020 class size; a guy better be good enough to rob a spot from that class. It's easy to swallow (phrasing) 2020 being maxed out at 22 if our 2019 class adds Bru or Wilson late and pushes the class size to 28. 

I don’t think we’re dealing with separate facts for the most part or different concepts. My original question to you was how much open roster space you really think there is going to be heading into next August?

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t think we’re dealing with separate facts for the most part or different concepts. My original question to you was how much open roster space you really think there is going to be heading into next August?

I'll estimate a class of 27 and four open roster spots excluding incoming transfers, which implies six leaving the program in total by fall camp

I feel confident in three leaving, and I think three more is a solid guess 

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'll estimate a class of 27 and four open roster spots excluding incoming transfers, which implies six leaving the program in total by fall camp

I feel confident in three leaving, and I think three more is a solid guess 

I think when NFL stuff is included, my number is further attrition of 8. I think they’ll have a roster of 81/82 heading into August because of playing the transfer and GT markets. Not perfect but not bad. 

I’ve asked in different places and often and it is clear from my end that anyone claiming to know their approach on the transfer or GT space right now is full of shit. I assume they’re going to be aggressive on the OL, at the least. Should be interesting to follow. 

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

And your followup will likely be "well, four spots minus incoming transfers isn't much of a scholarship deficit", which I would agree with. I think it could spill into the 70s though (6 slots open or more after incoming transfers accounted for) , something I've seen pundits note negatively about teams entering the season, for instance, Clemson this year if my late night memory serves 

Note that this isn't something that's keeping me up at night in regards to the 2019 season, I just think it's a potential reason to look at bringing in more transfers to maximize the roster since it seems likely we'll have room 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think when NFL stuff is included, my number is further attrition of 8. I think they’ll have a roster of 81/82 heading into August because of playing the transfer and GT markets. Not perfect but not bad. 

I’ve asked in different places and often and it is clear from my end that anyone claiming to know their approach on the transfer or GT space right now is full of shit. I assume they’re going to be aggressive on the OL, at the least. Should be interesting to follow. 

While I'm still not sold on Herman being able to out x&o the opposing coach on a weekly basis, I do think he's likely one of the best coaches in the country at roster management. So while it interests me that with there being a finite amount of signees you can bring in in a given period of time, and with only so many worthwhile grad transfer that will come because we presumably only have so many starting spots for playing time, we don't bring in more multi-year transfers to fill up the 85 man roster, I'm sure Herman has it covered 

While I'm still not sold on Herman being able to out x&o the opposing coach on a weekly basis, I do think he's likely one of the best coaches in the country at roster management. So while it interests me that with there being a finite amount of signees you can bring in in a given period of time, and with only so many worthwhile grad transfer that will come because we presumably only have so many starting spots for playing time, we don't bring in more multi-year transfers to fill up the 85 man roster, I'm sure Herman has it covered 

He did out x&o saban and smart, that’s about all I could ask for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Im interested/excited to see if any talented OL go the Calvin Anderson route with the progress Herb Hand is having this year. 

I was looking at charlie brewer's recruiting profile, and Hawaii offered back when he was being recruited.

At that time Hawaii had ELEVEN QBs on the team. North texas with 10, and southern miss with 10. No idea if under scholarship.

Is that typical with the tier 2s and lower? I've never paid attention.

Also with the loss of both Brown and Jones I'd love to ask Coach Modkins if he thinks that maybe he should've taken the call when Alex Hogan and Coach Reagins were talking with schools earlier this year? I fucking bet they get a call today. Bobby Holmes phone is probably buzzing right now, as weill. Unless TCU can pull a flip, I think the Frogs are gonna have to go back to the boot and look for a small school LA kid at CB or grab a DT QB and turn him into a CB, like Chandler Rogers or someone like that. I don't know. The CB class in the state is pretty small and tapped out. 

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Also with the loss of both Brown and Jones I'd love to ask Coach Modkins if he thinks that maybe he should've taken the call when Alex Hogan and Coach Reagins were talking with schools earlier this year? I fucking bet they get a call today. Bobby Holmes phone is probably buzzing right now, as weill. Unless TCU can pull a flip, I think the Frogs are gonna have to go back to the boot and look for a small school LA kid at CB or grab a DT QB and turn him into a CB, like Chandler Rogers or someone like that. I don't know. The CB class in the state is pretty small and tapped out.  

They could always chase aggy's unsettled brain doctor

enjoying some TCU misery and note that this post is dead on :: 

My hot take is that it seems like TCU is very unorganized and unprepared. Seems like they had a list A and list B and didn't really think the season would have for them to be recruiting a list C. And because of how the season is going some of the commits they got in list A & B are not fully committed. Now TCU is playing catch up and really behind. The list C they are creating now has already made plans and TCU has to come in late to change there minds. What poor planning.

Brett Lemoine and Rachel Phillips is doing about as good in recruiting as the other coaches are doing in coaching.

I expect for 2019 season for changes to be made with staff and TCU needs some analysts help like every big time college has. And not newbies as analysts, coaches with some serious experience. Cumbie is missing Dykes and over in the recruiting world TCU needs some new life and way to do things in recruiting.

The board basically laughs at him and says stuff like this ... 

...very unorganized and unprepared...

What are two words that have never applied to GP?

via Bama mod on Banks ... 

Not sure yet but Pola-Gates, Carter, Dent, Banks are all some good options for UA. They want 1 maybe 2 if its the right two and depending on other positions.

This is interesting because Banks doesn't look to have a spot at Bama. They are at 21 and have 2 CBs already committed. I wonder what will happen if Dent and/or Carter want to flip? Would Bama take either or both right now? Or will they have a holding pattern until Nov 24th visit from Pola-Gates? The impact of their decision for that 1-2 spots is going to cause some interesting late developments in this CB class. 

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Are you asking if we can flip someone that Bama wants and takes away from Bama?

Maybe if we get a shot at the CC and make a NY6 bowl, or even the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not predicting playoffs, but showing massive improvement from year one to year two could see some flips, hopefully. Even from Bama.

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Maybe if we get a shot at the CC and make a NY6 bowl, or even the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not predicting playoffs, but showing massive improvement from year one to year two could see some flips, hopefully. Even from Bama.

If there's anyone we could steal from Bama, it would be Sanders, who seems to genuinely love Texas and Stan Drayton. Noa Pola-Gates hasn't even visited yet.

Just now, Machinator said:

If there's anyone we could steal from Bama, it would be Sanders, who seems to genuinely love Texas and Stan Drayton. Noa Pola-Gates hasn't even visited yet.

Ah, OK. I guess I was under the impression that he had visited. I genuinely believe we can and will land Sanders. Herman just has to sell the city and atmosphere of Texas. Maybe not WILL land, but we damn sure will be in the final two. I just don't think it's as much of a long shot as some are making it out to be. Same with Bru.

Ah, OK. I guess I was under the impression that he had visited. I genuinely believe we can and will land Sanders. Herman just has to sell the city and atmosphere of Texas. Maybe not WILL land, but we damn sure will be in the final two. I just don't think it's as much of a long shot as some are making it out to be. Same with Bru.

You wouldn’t happen to work in the medical field, perhaps radiology?
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1