OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

Here's the weirdest part of the sooner summit - it's that Drumm has basically said that this kind of thing has never been done before. which is insane. The player led meetups have been going on for decades at schools that do a lot of regional recruiting. Miami and FSU were doing this in the fucking 90s. I can remember when party buses would take kids from south Dallas directly to the infamous FSU/PVAM parties. @TBGFL probably remembers this stuff as well. The Miami guys and the FSU guys then started to feign interest and then recruit for their own schools, etc ...  Texas has done these. LSU has done these. Aggy has done these - even fairly recently (that pool party disaster comes to mind). The thing is - most coaching staffs will try to quash these before they happen because for all the good they can do they can do far more damage. If you don't have coaches and player personnel people there to change the ebb and flow of the dialogue you can have some real issues. If you don't have them there to deflect from -- let's say LARGE personalities (parents or kids) you can actually alienate recruits (or parents). If you don't have them there and the players begin discussing other teams/fanbases/parents/recruits/players -- you can't avoid the landmines that these convos can produce. Now most of the sooner summit guys already know each other and have known each other for years so that seems like a non-issue here, though I'd have been worried if more Texas kids were going to be a part of it, if I was RIley. For sure. 

I don't think Drumm is overly involved as in planning (he may have nudged or helped with communications, who knows) but honestly I think he's overly invested because he's a fanboi. He's a CW and family fanboi, he's an OU fanboi, and for whatever reason he sees this as a revolutionary event. It's just like when Kyler was coming to aggy and every word he said was gospel to Hamm. They were going to get everybody ... then the class fell almost exactly like you'd expect. I do think Drumm should be careful about things like meeting recruits at the airport at the request of another recruit and his family. That is getting into some ground that much like Hamm, can lead to OU having to distance themselves from him and the loss of credentials, etc ... you can't be going on water slides with teen recruits. 

I think the whole thing is overblown because Drumm is simply a lot like Hamm. He believed every kid who said "oh yeah, I'll be there" or "I'm gonna do my best to make it out" or whatever. Once he oversold the event to his readers he felt personally attacked when kids predictably backed out and the fans weren't still all-in for the event the way he was. His quote about "you just don't see this even in a regular year", etc ... 

When Farooq and Gilliam announce he's going to be bananas. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

Jordan Mukes - OU S commit is now 6'3" and 204 with a BIG frame. He looks to me like he'll carry 230 pretty easily. His PR in the 100 is 12.41. Seeing Mukes' gains -- there's got to be some mental or cultural fit eval that Grinch didn't like about Kendal Daniels. 

@quigley - is the expectation for Mukes to stay at S or spin down to LB? I assume he's bound for LB but I honestly don't know and the Sooner board guys don't give me any confidence. 

Looking at the S position for 2021 it looks like Broiles/Fields/DTY as JRs and then and Criddell as SO (Morris and Barnes have spun down to LB). Is there anyone that has gone from CB to S that I am missing? I don't see any of the 2021 CBs as possible S candidates with their builds, maybe Harmon but he seems like he's dead set on CB. It's weird that OU seems to have cooled on Daymon David, perhaps that means that they feel really good about Jardin Gilbert? He's really underrated IMHO. I've seen a couple of OU posters mention Chase Hattley but I don't know a damn thing about him, so until that heats up more I'm just going to ignore that. It seems like OU needs to land 1 more clear S prospect. 

Mukes -- looking like a prototype spread OLB to me. 

Just to be clear, I don't have any info that isn't available for free. I generally take people at their word, and Grinch has said he wants his defense to be fast. I agree with the statement that Mukes is going to be a "big nickel" or LB and play close to the line regardless. I said so here prior to Daniels going to A&M.

It was possible that OU planned on taking Mukes and Daniels as redundancy isn't necessarily a bad thing because both Mukes and Daniels have the build and athleticism to be excellent LBs. However, both need to change their bodies and mindsets to achieve this, and there's no guarantee that either will  do so. Now if Daniels is straight up telling you he isn't interested in the switch, you've got to let him go because expectations don't align. It was right for OU to stop recruiting him.

I think (hope) OU's realized a couple of things regarding their defense. First, they can win the Big12 with a terrible defense. Second, they can't win a playoff game without at least a good one. To target B12 championship game and beyond, you've got to have DBs who can cover at every spot.

I think (hope) that OU's going back to the "4 corners" DB philosophy. With this line of thinking, OU should move Woodi Washington to safety or better yet nickel. He sounds like an great nickel candidate as he's apparently really strong, tough, and quick. Bryson Washington is another guy I'd like to see there.

If Broiles or Bookie see the field in anything other than mop-up time, OU's telling you that the other dudes aren't ready for whatever reason. Both may have been ok versus Kansas St, but neither are big enough or fast enough to play at the highest level of college football.

I've stated repeatedly that I'd like to see OU take AT LEAST one more DB and probably two. Another DTY-type is who I'd look for--tough, fast, smart, versatile, under-the-radar because of size. Those guys frequently emerge in the camp circuit prior to Sr year or during Sr season> After OU struck out on their top targets, I wonder if their back up plan was further evaluations. Those evaluation peroids are obviously over or in jeopardy now. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Well, Gilbert would be a huge addition. I really like him a lot.  Do you know anything about Hattley? Perhaps he fits the mold of an under-the-radar type of find. I don't know anything about him other than the listed size. It feels like OU backing away David must mean that they feel really good about Gilbert or perhaps feel like if they don't get Gilbert Hattley is a better option. 

I agree 100% with the idea that if Daniels was unwilling to even entertain a move that OU had to stop recruiting him. No doubt about it. 

25 minutes ago, quigley said:

Just to be clear, I don't have any info that isn't available for free. I generally take people at their word, and Grinch has said he wants his defense to be fast. I agree with the statement that Mukes is going to be a "big nickel" or LB and play close to the line regardless. I said so here prior to Daniels going to A&M.

It was possible that OU planned on taking Mukes and Daniels as redundancy isn't necessarily a bad thing because both Mukes and Daniels have the build and athleticism to be excellent LBs. However, both need to change their bodies and mindsets to achieve this, and there's no guarantee that either will  do so. Now if Daniels is straight up telling you he isn't interested in the switch, you've got to let him go because expectations don't align. It was right for OU to stop recruiting him.

I think (hope) OU's realized a couple of things regarding their defense. First, they can win the Big12 with a terrible defense. Second, they can't win a playoff game without at least a good one. To target B12 championship game and beyond, you've got to have DBs who can cover at every spot.

I think (hope) that OU's going back to the "4 corners" DB philosophy. With this line of thinking, OU should move Woodi Washington to safety or better yet nickel. He sounds like an great nickel candidate as he's apparently really strong, tough, and quick. Bryson Washington is another guy I'd like to see there.

If Broiles or Bookie see the field in anything other than mop-up time, OU's telling you that the other dudes aren't ready for whatever reason. Both may have been ok versus Kansas St, but neither are big enough or fast enough to play at the highest level of college football.

I've stated repeatedly that I'd like to see OU take AT LEAST one more DB and probably two. Another DTY-type is who I'd look for--tough, fast, smart, versatile, under-the-radar because of size. Those guys frequently emerge in the camp circuit prior to Sr year or during Sr season> After OU struck out on their top targets, I wonder if their back up plan was further evaluations. Those evaluation peroids are obviously over or in jeopardy now. 

You can win the Big 12 with a shitty defense and a rebuilding Texas. I doubt a shitty defense is going to net you more Big 12 championships now that Texas is on equal footing talent wise.😬

Edited by HtownHorn

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Well, Gilbert would be a huge addition. I really like him a lot.  Do you know anything about Hattley? Perhaps he fits the mold of an under-the-radar type of find. I don't know anything about him other than the listed size. It feels like OU backing away David must mean that they feel really good about Gilbert or perhaps feel like if they don't get Gilbert Hattley is a better option. 

I agree 100% with the idea that if Daniels was unwilling to even entertain a move that OU had to stop recruiting him. No doubt about it. 

I see Harmon as a S all the way. Yeah, Gilbert would be a best-case because it looks like he'll have some good options.

I see three options to get at least 1 or hopefully 2 more guys:

1. Poach someone committed to a lesser-regarded program (OU poached DTY from Baylor). AJ Green (committed to Arkansas as a RB) is one option.

2. Look at portal/JUCO options. I think there may be tremendous turn over after this season so there may be virtue in waiting.

3. Further high school evals.

4 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Drumm just said Wheaton didn't make it to Oklahoma today. Stopped somewhere to spend time with his mom for her birthday.

Don't worry he'll be here tomorrow

Everything is fine. Everything is fine. Everything is fine.

Ef_vwV1XkAAiZoo?format=jpg&name=small

(ps throw the real man behind the screenshots some likes, that dude's earned them)

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Everything is fine. Everything is fine. Everything is fine.

Ef_vwV1XkAAiZoo?format=jpg&name=small

(ps throw the real man behind the screenshots some likes, that dude's earned them)

Lol had to take an unplanned random break on his cross country trek of 3 hours. “Oh fuck mom forgot it was your birthday, pull this car over ahora!”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Lol had to take an unplanned random break on his cross country trek of 3 hours. “Oh fuck mom forgot it was your birthday, pull this car over ahora!”

None of it makes sense. He was on the way from dallas to Norman but stopped on the way when he remembered it was his mom’s birthday? Does she live in Gainesville?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

This whole deal reeks of desperation by both the qb and 247. Very unimpressed.

Alternatively:

Sounds like the parents are trying to maximize their son's likelihood of success by surrounding him with great teammates and are using the recruiting process to build their son's brand as a leader.

7 hours ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Drumm just said Wheaton didn't make it to Oklahoma today. Stopped somewhere to spend time with his mom for her birthday.

Don't worry he'll be here tomorrow

We'll see what happens, but as of now, it seems like Caleb Williams/OU will have achieved most of what they'd set out to do.

OU's remaining offensive needs: who's scheduled to be there

1 RB: Wheaton

2 WR: Farooq

2-3 OL: Byrd, Leigh (Foster's still likely OU)

I think it's pretty impressive.

1 hour ago, quigley said:

We'll see what happens, but as of now, it seems like Caleb Williams/OU will have achieved most of what they'd set out to do.

OU's remaining offensive needs: who's scheduled to be there

1 RB: Wheaton

2 WR: Farooq

2-3 OL: Byrd, Leigh (Foster's still likely OU)

I think it's pretty impressive.

You and I both know that it's less about getting them there and more about the experience they have together.

You and I have both read updates alluding to Caleb Williams' parents

You and I both know that Drumm is a fanboy and working in an "official capacity" at this event is a bit hairy

You and I both know that AT BEST, this event is a net neutral. At worst....well, you know that too. 

27 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

You and I both know that it's less about getting them there and more about the experience they have together.

You and I have both read updates alluding to Caleb Williams' parents

You and I both know that Drumm is a fanboy and working in an "official capacity" at this event is a bit hairy

You and I both know that AT BEST, this event is a net neutral. At worst....well, you know that too. 

For Leigh and Farooq, this will probably be their only visit to campus so getting there is a big deal. I haven't read the screenshots. Maybe I should. I do know that OU successfully handled other helicopter parents (Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, eg) so I don't worry about it. I also understand that it's hard for OU's real recruiting operation to stop this without alienating the kids ("Why don't you want us to come?").

I definitely agree that Drumm/CBS/247 seem overly invested in this. I also understand that their business model is at risk. I also understand that there's probably money laundering that goes on through recruiting so I don't think this is the biggest problem. It's a terrible process.

Going to visit colleges seems boring to me now, but I remember when I took college trips and how exciting it was. Leigh is picking from Norman, Columbus, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rough, or Clemson. It's obvious Leigh's decision isn't going to be determined by the natural beauty, kayaking, museums, or restaurants in the city.

26 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hmmm...coaches can’t be involved at all on visits yet somehow this group of recruits gets access to the stadium and a Texas-OU game happens to be playing on the big screen.

3BD39DAC-27C2-405B-AC5D-36D25C5E448B.jpeg

I mean, I'm hoping we leave the stadium unlocked with the Alamo Bowl on the widescreen when the Turners swing by.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hmmm...coaches can’t be involved at all on visits yet somehow this group of recruits gets access to the stadium and a Texas-OU game happens to be playing on the big screen.

3BD39DAC-27C2-405B-AC5D-36D25C5E448B.jpeg

They actually took a picture of a recruiting violation. Impressive 

edit: I guess if the coaches aren’t there , it’s not? 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

They actually took a picture of a recruiting violation. Impressive 

edit: I guess if the coaches aren’t there , it’s not? 

It appears the Texas video (they were not supposed to have any official interaction/special treatment while on campus) and being on the grass are both no-no’s. the stadium is often open but the surface is not, because it’s natural grass — and its supposed to be further locked down due to their Covid restrictions. Leigh’s mom deleted this tweet and Drumm deleted that specific update and the comments from his Saturday thread, but not before the internets spread the image around. 

so... kinda. 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

It appears the Texas video (they were not supposed to have any official interaction/special treatment while on campus) and being on the grass are both no-no’s. the stadium is often open but the surface is not, because it’s natural grass — and its supposed to be further locked down due to their Covid restrictions. Leigh’s mom deleted this tweet and Drumm deleted that specific update and the comments from his Saturday thread, but not before the internets spread the image around. 

so... kinda. 

Understandable but kind of silly. I wandered onto the stadium grass at BC, Georgia Tech and Indiana on regular college look-sees just because it's college football - they usually leave the gates unlocked for the staff.

And the video is standard chicanery - I'd want UT doing exactly the same thing.

20 minutes ago, golfclap said:

so... kinda. 

Ohio State, LSU, and Clemson are probably going to report them because Tristan Leigh is there