OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

Shocking news I tell you after OU pretty much had an official visit weekend. This is the same dude that's bitched about safety issues and "taking this seriously" from the start. A hypocrite is what he is. 

If that SI report was correct about OU trying to cancel the season.....fuck them. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 4

47 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

OU trying to cancel their season fucks us. But not as much as they’ll be fucked when we play without them and they don’t get their revenue split. Let them try.

"NORMAN, Okla. — Six more Sooner football players have tested positive for COVID-19, the OU athletics department announced Monday evening. That runs the team’s active case count to 17, as 17 other players have recovered." 

Blinkin' playing 4-D chess... by start of B12 hopes to have at least 34 players already with Covid antibodies.

/s

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Shocking news I tell you after OU pretty much had an official visit weekend. This is the same dude that's bitched about safety issues and "taking this seriously" from the start. A hypocrite is what he is. 

If that SI report was correct about OU trying to cancel the season.....fuck them. 

I’m surprised he hasn’t started sending his players to visit Covid patients in the hospital yet.  

(Rivals) Fact or Fiction: Sooner Summit will be key in recruiting

1. The Sooner Summit will be key in recruiting.

Farrell’s take: FACT. A group of players, some committed and some not, met up and took a visit to Oklahoma to check out the campus without the coaches present and without any of the typical pomp and circumstance of a visit. And it will work. Offensive lineman Tristan Leigh got to see OU with commitments like Caleb Williams and Jalil Farooq from his area and other big targets like Camar Wheaton. This is a big deal and, if Leigh, Farooq, Wheaton and others end up at Oklahoma, this could be a huge reason. This Summit will be a difference maker for the Sooners.

Gorney’s take: FACT. It was a major recruiting move orchestrated by Williams and it should pay off in a big way. First, because Oklahoma has a lot to offer and lots of top recruits are highly interested anyway and also because this was a one-of-a-kind special event with lots of top kids on campus. Wheaton is down to Oklahoma, Alabama and LSU and this was the kind of event that could have sold him on playing with this recruiting class. Four-star OL Savion Byrd was there and while SMU might lead, this Oklahoma trip will give him something to think about. Oklahoma is making a move for Leigh even though LSU and others charging hard. It will be interesting if commits at other schools try to do something like this, but there’s no doubt it was huge for Oklahoma recruiting.

2.  Georgia has taken the lead for Maason Smith and Korey Foreman.

Farrell’s take: FICTION. This may be an unpopular opinion but I still think Maason Smith ends up at LSU. However, Korey Foreman could be leaning towards Georgia. Both visited UGA this past weekend and have talked about playing together, so this is a really good sign for UGA especially since coaches couldn’t be involved and they still traveled so far. But Smith will be hard to pull from Louisiana.

Gorney’s take: FACT. Pulling Smith away from LSU could be near impossible, especially since every No. 1 prospect from the state dating back to Landon Collins ended up at LSU but there is a very good shot for Georgia here. Foreman recently said he probably would not attend a school he hasn’t visited and so this weekend trip to Athens was huge for that reason. Being there together with Smith - the two have a strong friendship dating back to last summer at The Opening - could be a major selling point for both. Foreman is sick of double- and triple-teams on the high school level. Being in a recruiting class with his friend Smith at Georgia could be another big reason why the Bulldogs have a great shot with both.

3.  Mack Brown is right, players are safer on campus without students.

Farrell’s take: FACT. North Carolina coach Mack Brown recently said that football players are safer on campus without students after UNC went to online instruction for students after a couple of weeks of COVID-19 breakouts with students on campus. Essentially this puts players in a “bubble” of sorts and will help keep them free of COVID. College students can’t be expected to socially distance and follow mask guidelines when so many are on campus, so now the UNC players can feel safer and keep their hopes for a season alive.

Gorney’s take: FACT. Brown is definitely right. This creates something of a bubble for the football team at North Carolina and further limits interaction with other students. There is still risk of spread from the players being in Chapel Hill, living in town, going places and just living life, but this is a better situation and more ideal for the Tar Heels to continue down the road of starting their season. If you’re in the camp that we must start moving forward with life and learning lessons through this situation instead of hiding in our homes waiting for a medical miracle, then what North Carolina is doing is a smart move and Brown is correct.

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Under 10 active cases now at blOU...

Eight or nine Sooners return after previously testing positive

By   JOEY HELMER.             2 hours ago

NORMAN, Okla. — A day after some negative news surfaced for Sooner Nation, it’s been replaced by some uplifting news. Eight or nine players previously with active COVID-19 cases have returned to practice, head coach Lincoln Riley announced Tuesday afternoon.

“Well, on a positive front, today was a good day for us. I think we got either eight or nine of those guys back today, which was nice,” Riley said during a Zoom call. “So that was definitely very helpful. It’s been challenging the last week or so with combining the COVID cases, the contacts and then we’ve had a stomach bug that’s kind of been raging through, I think, this whole part of the country a little bit that’s knocked several of our guys out as well.

“So it’s good to get some of those guys back today. So I would say now we’re definitely under 10 active cases.”

Late Monday evening, the OU athletics department announced that six more Sooner football players tested positive for the virus, running the team’s active case count to 17. But subtracting eight or nine from that, and adding it to the recovery count, there are now roughly 25 or 26 of 34 total positive cases that have healed.

“We’ve been fortunate that our guys that have come back, our guys that have been recoveries that were COVID positive have all bounced back pretty quickly,” Riley said. “We haven’t had a player with any lingering effects right now, which has obviously been a positive.”

The data Monday evening came from a pair of tests on Aug. 17 and 20. Five out of 88 came back positive on the first day, while only one of 78 came back positive on the second day. No staff members were tested, but the two who previously tested positive have since recovered.

Student-athletes and staff members from other sports were tested extensively as well. All 15 players and 13 staffers with the men’s basketball program returned negative results. All but one affiliated with the women’s basketball program tested negative, as nine student-athletes and 10 staff members were examined. That one positive was a staffer, and all three players who previously tested positive have since recovered.

An additional total of 424 people were tested from the remaining sports on either Aug. 17 or 21, including 347 student-athletes and 77 staffers. Twelve of those, or 2.8%, came back positive, with all but one a player.

In all, OU performed COVID-19 surveillance testing on 537 individuals. It’s the largest sample size yet, as school has now started back up.

In an interesting piece of news, Riley mentioned the team nearly lost an entire position group due to these recent COVID-19 positive tests. While Riley would not elaborate on what the position group was, he said that it was a group needing multiple players on the field.

"We had a day last week we were getting ready to do a scrimmage and had a COVID test come back and we lose all but one person at a position group, I mean a major position group on the field; and we have to practice that day with a position where we had multiple players on the field at one time and we have one player, and we found out that night and then we’ve got practice the next morning," Riley said. "And so we’re getting kind of some on-the-job training with it. So yeah, I mean, I think for us it’s been a call to every player on our roster that you’ve got to be willing to do whatever’s called."

OU continues preparation for its season opener, set for Sept. 12 against Missouri State. It hosts its first Big 12 Conference game against Kansas State on Sept. 26.

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Oklahoma-Sooners-COVID-19-testing-eight-or-nine-players-return-150680450/

Edited by LTtxfan

I don’t get the consternation over OU cheating.  They’ve been perfecting it into an art since ... 1889?

I had a family member coach in Bay City in the 80's. There are some wild stories of an OU assistant coach handing over thousands of dollars in the basketball offices during games to give to Heart Lee Dykes. Accepted every dollar of it and spurned them for Okie State a few months later.. 

Edited by Blackcat00

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

I'm saying sanctioning a gathering that you have no control over.

I doubt that they sanctioned the gathering based on Riley stating that they'd be reluctant to bring recruits in during the season even if visits are allowed. The OU staff delayed bringing the team back to see how other schools did also.

OU also can't stop the gathering because the optics of them forbidding it would be confusing to recruits.

4 minutes ago, quigley said:

I doubt that they sanctioned the gathering based on Riley stating that they'd be reluctant to bring recruits in during the season even if visits are allowed. The OU staff delayed bringing the team back to see how other schools did also.

OU also can't stop the gathering because the optics of them forbidding it would be confusing to recruits.

WTF?  Confusing to recruits?  In what way?  In the way that OU is finally putting anything ahead of winning?  That they might develop standards?  Yeah, okay... I guess that would be confusing to recruits.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

WTF?  Confusing to recruits?  In what way?  In the way that OU is finally putting anything ahead of winning?  That they might develop standards?  Yeah, okay... I guess that would be confusing to recruits.

If a recruit legitimately wants to visit your campus/town, and you strongly urge him not to come it give the appearance that you don't want him to sign with you.

42 minutes ago, quigley said:

If a recruit legitimately wants to visit your campus/town, and you strongly urge him not to come it give the appearance that you don't want him to sign with you.

This is correct. But if you’re coaches weren’t toddlers then they would act like adults and explain that while they want them to visit and feel at home, it might not be a great idea during a pandemic because the “coaches won’t be there” and there is risk of infecting other people in a mass gathering. It’s probably a similar message every other coach in America has said to recruits in the past 6 months. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, quigley said:

You're just pointing out the reasons WHY he's a hypocrite and the #optics are bad. I was impressed with Riley's handling of things early on, but now I know it was just lip service and he's not actually willing to make hard choices. 

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

This is correct. But if you’re coaches weren’t toddlers then they would act like adults and explain that while they want them to visit and feel at home, it might not be a great idea during a pandemic because the “coaches won’t be there” and there is risk of infecting other people in a mass gathering. It’s probably a similar message every other coach in America has said to recruits in the past 6 months. 

Yeah.  You can’t be LR and be the savant coach when it comes to handling covid (many in the media have acted like that’s him) then throw your hands up when bullshit like this happens.  As if he couldn’t send a simple ‘let’s hold off’ and get it done.  I’m a fan but I’m also a realist.  I’ve also given him credit for handling things well so far, so this clearly needs to be called out.  
Do I think it was some crazy party with $1000’s going to recruits?  No.  Do I think it’s stupid to try to play both sides of the Covid shit like LR did?  Yeah.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

You're just pointing out the reasons WHY he's a hypocrite and the #optics are bad. I was impressed with Riley's handling of things early on, but now I know it was just lip service and he's not actually willing to make hard choices. 

Well shit.  Should have let you post this, then just repped it.