The Senate Trial of Donald J Trump 2020

tx 3 putt

at this point I would bet Trump has kompromat on everyone - Congress, SCOTUS, you name it. If there is/was dirt to be found I bet he did and it's what he is using for leverage. there's no other reasonable explanation. they can't be THAT scared of his base, as that appears to be dwindling by the day.  

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

at this point I would bet Trump has kompromat on everyone - Congress, SCOTUS, you name it. If there is/was dirt to be found I bet he did and it's what he is using for leverage. there's no other reasonable explanation. they can't be THAT scared of his base, as that appears to be dwindling by the day.  

Russian money -> NRA -> Congress

Change my mind.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

6605da62-ebca-434a-ae3f-7ae521ef9319_tex

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

The kompromat is the pervasive corruption of the entire GOP. Donald bumbled into the throne room and he both benefits from the graft and holds the threat of exposing all of these crooks.

They never anticipated an outsider seizing the reins of their carefully built and thoroughly shameless hate engine. 

Imagine Trump bringing his own thieving schemes to the party only to discover that an even bigger con job was already in place. 

Trump is a hopeless, malign idiot as a traditional president, but he is in his element as head of the GOP criminal organization.

Just imagine the absurdity of a majority of US senators lining up to praise this champion of anti-corruption in more normal times. It's nuts.

No, those senators have everything to lose by alienating the big orange pustule; that's why they're all in line. They fear the big mouth exposing them all.

All of them, criminal, treasonous cowards whose punishment will never be severe enough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Collins was the other one. 

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

Collins only did it for show because Mitch gave her a pass since he had Murkowski and Alexander in the bag.

What a joke.

yeah, real brave of mitt and collins to be 48 & 49 after they knew they had 51. fuck em all.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Collins only did it for show because Mitch gave her a pass since he had Murkowski and Alexander in the bag.

What a joke.

As I said last night, she had to know that Murkowski and Alexander had her back before she announced as a yes vote.  Romney isn't up for reelection so he could vote as he saw fit.

House probably shouldn't have rushed the case to meet some arbitrary deadline, and should have kept the ball in the chamber they control while forcing the witnesses they needed to establish the case.  I mean, once they kicked it to the Senate, the outcome was assured. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

House probably shouldn't have rushed the case to meet some arbitrary deadline, and should have kept the ball in the chamber they control while forcing the witnesses they needed to establish the case.  I mean, once they kicked it to the Senate, the outcome was assured. 

Well considering that one of those witnesses they couldn't get in the House has since corroborated the story in his book, and some Republicans have therefore decided that the House was right, Trump did all those things, and fuck it, he's not guilty anyway, what difference do you think that would've made?

• Like 1

Just now, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Well considering that one of those witnesses they couldn't get in the House has since corroborated the story in his book, and some Republicans have therefore decided that the House was right, Trump did all those things, and fuck it, he's not guilty anyway, what difference do you think that would've made?

In the end, probably no one difference.  

House had to get the bell rolling to scuttle the Trump/Rudy Ukraine scheme.  House showed they have the chops and a stable of capable managers.  

Anyone think GOP Senate is up for round 2, 3, or more ?  I don’t.  Their act is already running on fumes.  Show them this was a false summit, with a shit ton of climbing to go until they fucking puke.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If they had done that, you would have criticized them for dragging the process out in an election year you disingenuous fuck.

I am not criticizing the House either way really.  I am commenting on the reality of where we stand today, looking at an outcome that was virtually assured once they ceded control of the proceedings to the Senate.  Getting the Senate to go on record was the right decision politically, imo. I said as much early into the process. The question I think is what timing effects the maximum political damage at the ballot box. I am not sure of the answer, but I bet Pelosi is questioning herself on the timing of the impeachment tonight. She already tipped when she held delivery of the articles to the Senate, imo.    

I think it worked out about as well as the Dems could have asked for. Instead of the Senate just voting on removal (which is roughly 50/50 in public opinion), they were forced to also vote on calling witnesses (75/25 in public opinion). Bolton’s story will come out regardless. And it’s not like it would have mattered to Republican Senators had it come out in the House.
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I think it worked out about as well as the Dems could have asked for. Instead of the Senate just voting on removal (which is roughly 50/50 in public opinion), they were forced to also vote on calling witnesses (75/25 in public opinion). Bolton’s story will come out regardless. And it’s not like it would have mattered to Republican Senators had it come out in the House.

Reasonable take. I am not sure that the witness vote is really going to resonate very long, but that is definitely some the democrats will use.  

15 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Still think obstruction in the Mueller report should have been an independent article.

On which Trump summarily would have been acquitted.  Of course, not without some seriously furrowed brows from Senator Collins and a heartfelt 12 tweet thread from Senator Murkowski.